Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Beato Believer posted:

At first I didn't quite like Yuu, what with the book burning and stuff, but her cheerful hopelessness is starting to grow on me.

yuu> sings the hopeless song
me> :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Took a little for the subs to get added, but did they just find a cute friend?!

Also, Chii is bad at singing. :3:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That definitely reminds me of the statues they've come across

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The blobs really have inherited the earth.

Now that we're (I'm pretty sure) 2 episodes out from the end, I'm pretty curious to see what sort of note we'll end on.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I don't know what that is, but I'm pretty sure it isn't a cat.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Is that thing talking via radio waves? It reminds me of the god statues. What is going on? Organic AI?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

StandardVC10 posted:

I don't know what that is, but I'm pretty sure it isn't a cat.

Good post/AV combo.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Captial G capital S Good poo poo.
I hope the new friend is going to be OK. Hope it doesn't need to eat too much.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
It's a slugcat.

:3:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
FYI there's also a new chapter of the manga on batoto which was well-timed to this episode. But holy poo poo those things are weird.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 9, 2017

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Knorth posted:

It's a slugcat.

:3:

With two extra feet.

I'm so glad they have a new friend.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

ViggyNash posted:

With two extra feet.

I'm so glad they have a new friend.

Slugcats have four feet! Gosh! Someone didn't play Rain World

Also, yes, I love their new friend

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
"Nuuuuuuᵤᵤᵤᵤᵤᵤ....."

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Knorth posted:

Slugcats have four feet! Gosh! Someone didn't play Rain World

Also, yes, I love their new friend

What I've seen of it looks like they only have front feet (but no I haven't played it yet). But I will defer to the cuteness of your slugcat avatar.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
https://twitter.com/makaroll410/status/941244056444706816

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Get your merch on

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=GOODS-00199864
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=GOODS-00199863
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=GOODS-00199865

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Where are the figures made out of Stretch Armstrong material?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY4-JSqPl4E

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Oh man that episode was good. Everything involving the robot was great and really enjoyed how ominous the ending was

also

nu nu nu nu nu nu nu

Best pet. I want one

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Agreed, on all points.

There's only one episode left, right?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Yep, just one left. It'll bring us up to the current manga scans and the end of volume 4 I think

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Knorth posted:

Oh man that episode was good. Everything involving the robot was great and really enjoyed how ominous the ending was

also

nu nu nu nu nu nu nu

Best pet. I want one

"Things I can't eat don't have value, nom, nom."

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
I've been thinking about that red sunset scene all week. I was on the edge of my seat, mouth agape for that whole moment and it still gives me chills. Such a good show!!!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Man that was an amazing episode. What an emotional rollercoaster.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think we know why everyone died :smith:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

iospace posted:

The cats ate them.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

There Bias Two posted:

The cats ate them.

That would explain the lack of bodies.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Knorth posted:

Yep, just one left. It'll bring us up to the current manga scans and the end of volume 4 I think

Boo. :smith:

iospace posted:

I dunno. I wanna say the submarine was an exhibit that sat in a museum as a piece of history on display for the civilization that followed ours, purely based on the crazy, multilayered megacities and the written language used in at least the one we see. But the fact that the submarine is apparently still actively running kind of throws a wrench in that guess, so I'm probably off base.

Edit: Actually, my poor sleep deprived mind didn't even make the connection you could be talking about the robot, even though I considered seeing what language was used in it's displays. :v: I need to sleep.

Onean fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 16, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
next episode Yuu finds out what happens if you fire these :buddy:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Good episode, and reading the manga chapter that got linked earlier makes it pretty clear what our finale's gonna focus on. Eager to see how the Anime adds to it, it's been a great production basically from start to finish.

I really love the tone this show takes when we look back on all the weapons we keep finding. Just a bemused "man...what the gently caress was all of this even for?"

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Alien invasion?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

Alien invasion?

I don't think so, unless they're another species involved besides whatever Nuko is. It seems likely that like the same civilization that built all the weapons also venerated the Nukos.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Seems to me the advanced stuff came from the first civilization, which killed each other off, then a second civilization came from the remnants surviving off the working machines, jury rigging what they could and making ww2 replica stuff, then they in turn killed each other off, and all that was left was scattered pockets of people, who were in the process of killing each other off around the time Chii and Yuu set off on their last tour.

My guess is the nukos were worshipped by the second civ.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Kyte posted:

Seems to me the advanced stuff came from the first civilization, which killed each other off, then a second civilization came from the remnants surviving off the working machines, jury rigging what they could and making ww2 replica stuff, then they in turn killed each other off, and all that was left was scattered pockets of people, who were in the process of killing each other off around the time Chii and Yuu set off on their last tour.

My guess is the nukos were worshipped by the second civ.

Or maybe even very stratified classes rather than separate civilizations. Is there anything that indicates separation in time other than less advanced technology?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Well there's the episode On the Beach that you all wanted. :v:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

When they used that robot... Jesus. So much power and destruction, but it was just ruins. It didn't mean anything. Just a little girl pressing buttons. Their reactions were really good too, with Yuu laughing... but it wasn't funny at all.

It was a really weird feeling. Something like awe, with an emphasis on the fear. It's something that's usually presented as really cool, but here it's just vaguely dreadful.

And then the missiles at the end. I like the contrast between the "cool" sci-fi mecha and the submarine. They have totally different feels, but they both have a terrifying power. And knowing what it holds, the submarine is way more terrifying. Beams are nothing compared to the weapons we have today.

There Bias Two posted:

Or maybe even very stratified classes rather than separate civilizations. Is there anything that indicates separation in time other than less advanced technology?
Yeah there is. The first tower they go up has an elevator built outside it because the people who built the city didn't know how the internal structure of the tower worked. So someone built the city- towers and all- and then they died off and a new civilization built cities in their ruins.

There's also the hole where they found the cat thing. A massive weapon must have made that hole, but a bunch of other weapons were set up inside it. Someone in the past made a massive attack on the city, and much later people ended up fighting each other in that scar.

This is such a beautiful show.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Love nuko.

Wonder if it was biologically engineered to survive after humans. Eating bullets and fuel, which aren't fantastic for the environment.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Maybe they're the evolution of those bacteria that were recently discovered irl that feed on rocks. They evolved to make use of the leftovers from human civilization. It's a really neat concept.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgPH1iz6fVM

I thought Endless Journey was cute as is, but the translation is pure :kimchi:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
That is almost aggressively cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
A whole bunch of chapters just dropped on batoto.

Edit: They start about where we are in the anime, and seem to be up to almost the end of the manga.

• Locked thread