Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Again, yes, but not on the booblight photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Yawgmoth posted:

I wish the ceiling fan had dome fixtures on it too. Just to keep the theme going full tit

:bigtran:

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
So we came across this at work the other day, wish I had a decent camera on my phone but it was dark and the pictures were just a blurry mess.

This is what was behind one wall.

The reason why the wall had to come down? The roof was leaking into the inside due to an ice dam on the roof caused by *gasp* shoddily installed shingles.

The whole place is a bodge job of stuff like this, like using the bathroom drain for the washing machine which is 3 rooms away. Hidden behind a drywall soffit. At weird angles.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

How do you push the silence button or change the batteries?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kid sinister posted:

Those are industrial. They test from a panel and are fed by mains power.

Still lovely, because it ain't gonna detect poo poo (or smoke)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

kid sinister posted:

Give them some credit, they took the batteries out first.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Judging by the vent on the wall there some seriously misunderstood what a "duct detector" was. :v:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

kid sinister posted:

To question one, you do not.

Which is a problem that at least will eventually solve itself, because to question two, you do not.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ExplodingSims posted:

Judging by the vent on the wall there some seriously misunderstood what a "duct detector" was. :v:

Upside down blueprints on a square room?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

How does that even happen?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

And that's why you don't build in the easement.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

KillHour posted:

How does that even happen?

http://shanghaiist.com/2015/12/11/villas_with_giant_cables.php

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
But they built the building after the pole was put in. It's not like the power company knocked through the wall. Why wouldn't they have it moved first? Probably a contractor in a hurry to move on to the next shithole project.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQNoZ21vRSg

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

One Legged Ninja posted:

But they built the building after the pole was put in. It's not like the power company knocked through the wall. Why wouldn't they have it moved first? Probably a contractor in a hurry to move on to the next shithole project.

100% that moving the cables required some sort of drawn-out process with the local government/utility and the builders just said 'gently caress it', slapped everything around the existing cables and booked it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

How in the goddamned gently caress?
That is a level of laziness/greed/incompetence that I can't even fathom.

edit: I also just noticed the lack of handrails on the stairs.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 15, 2017

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Only thing that could make it better is if that door was flagged as a fire escape or handicap entrance.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Well that's a door for a walk in cooler so not much escaping gonna be done through that :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I enjoyed that.
The other two on housewrap/windows, and trim were funny, too.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

ExplodingSims posted:

Well that's a door for a walk in cooler so not much escaping gonna be done through that :v:

Um did you not see Jurassic Park?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

baquerd posted:

Upside down blueprints on a square room?

Remodeled tenant finish but no fire alarm contractor on board or there that day.

“First in wins”

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Phanatic posted:

And that's why you don't build in the easement.

It's just as likely they extended that completely outside their easement. It's not like utilities actually care about their customers.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
From the plumbing thread:

BubbaGrace posted:

I have no words. Just lol...

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

As someone with zero plumbing experience what am I looking at?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Polio Vax Scene posted:

box of fittings on the truck to make up a 6" difference in pipe lengths so someone could go home for the weekend. And a future trouble call, to boot.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

there's going to be a lot of pooling in there.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No, this response makes it.

GWBBQ posted:

That's an expansion chamber and you'll find it's very necessary for your two stroke toilet to idle properly.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

there's going to be a lot of pooling in there.

Nah, those cartridges don't have much cache.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I need to replace my thermostat.
I looked at the breaker panel and turned off the switch for the heater.
It wasn't the right breaker. Neither were half of the other ones. Circuits 11, 16, 18 don't even exist apparently. I'm still trying to figure out what circuit 12a is. :negative:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Maybe mine is petty, but if mixing valves for showers can go bad, wouldn't it be prudent to install an access panel of some sort on the opposite side of the wall from the faucet handle, so my plumber doesn't have to tear out a square foot of tile/drywall in my mother-in-law's shower?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Synthbuttrange posted:

there's going to be a lot of poo in there.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

D34THROW posted:

Maybe mine is petty, but if mixing valves for showers can go bad, wouldn't it be prudent to install an access panel of some sort on the opposite side of the wall from the faucet handle, so my plumber doesn't have to tear out a square foot of tile/drywall in my mother-in-law's shower?

Something like this?

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/search.html?q=access%20panel#!q=access%20panel

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Crappy construction in progress!

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Exactly, I just don't understand why you wouldn't, when possible, install something like that to facilitate inevitable replacement of such things.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

D34THROW posted:

Ehhhhh, if it's in a closet or something, go for it. Otherwise, an access panel is a bit of an eyesore. And they'll never have to tear out the shower side - You'd always do the work from the back of the wall, where you're just removing drywall (which can be easily replaced or, at that point, an access panel can be placed). Putting access panels where something might go wrong at some point would lead to a house absolutely riddled with them.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

D34THROW posted:

There isn't much with bath and shower faucets that can go bad in the wall once they are installed. They're basically just brass containers with inlets and outlet(s). All of the parts that can go wrong are designed to be able to be reached through the hole in the wall. Brass will basically last as long as your house, as long as you don't let if freeze.

But you got the right idea: go in through the back. It's a hell of a lot easier to put an access panel on that drywall/plaster back side. Hell, if that wall portion comes off in one piece, you can use it as the patch for that hole.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

box of fittings on the truck to make up a 6" difference in pipe lengths so someone could go home for the weekend. And a future trouble call, to boot.

Oh, ok. That's a lot less exciting than what I thought at first, which is that someone hooked up a garbage disposal to their toilet line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Oh, ok. That's a lot less exciting than what I thought at first, which is that someone hooked up a garbage disposal to their toilet line.

Have you heard of macerating toilets?