Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The Rat posted:

It was a bunch of wonky warp nonsense.

Agreed, that was essentially the problem I had with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

hopterque posted:

The BL narrators are all prettttttty excellent really. They really get into it and do weird accents and poo poo for all the characters its cool.

The worst one I ever heard was Wil Wheaton. He read John Scalzi's book Redshirts. He made no attempt to characterise the cast. Same slightly sarcastic Wil Wheaton delivery for every character. In a book with a lot of snappy back and forth dialogue between multiple people. It was basically unlistenable.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Deptfordx posted:

The worst one I ever heard was Wil Wheaton. He read John Scalzi's book Redshirts. He made no attempt to characterise the cast. Same slightly sarcastic Wil Wheaton delivery for every character. In a book with a lot of snappy back and forth dialogue between multiple people. It was basically unlistenable.

Was that the one where the female voices were done by a female narrator? I got about 5 minutes into that back and forth poo poo and quit.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

What's this short called, exactly? I can't seem to find it.

First Lord of the Imperium

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

Was that the one where the female voices were done by a female narrator? I got about 5 minutes into that back and forth poo poo and quit.

Nope. Redshirts was just him, don't know which book you're referring too.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Waroduce posted:

Woah

Bro copy paste or post some screenshots

Taken from Reddit without permission, so pardon my plagiarism!

The background on unification was neat. A brief summary of some of Malcador's claims, although bear in mind that they are not necessarily true:

* Claims to be 6718 years old.

* Emperor wasn't known as the Emperor until he met Malcador. He was just the greatest of the warlords on Terra

* The Sigillites were an order dedicated to remembering or preserving

* Malcador's contribution to the Emperor was telling him why all other regimes/nations/etc had failed.

* Claims the Emperor told him Unification would have been impossible without him

* Fought at the Emperor's side many times
Claims to have manipulated the Primarchs to turn on each other and Big E from the moment of their rediscovery. Also says this was no harder than playing chess. Quote: “We wanted the Primarchs to turn against one another. Against their father. Be assured, we maneuvered each of them from the moment of their rediscovery, pitting them against one another, stoking their brotherly rivalries with His unequal favor.”

* “Those who could not be managed- well, they would never reach the endgame.” Could be a nod to lost Primarchs? Who knows.

* “The Imperium is not for the post-humans, but for mankind.”

* Claims his failure was in underestimating the true enemy (Chaos) and that the war began before they were ready

* Narrator states that he could remember the details of all the sunrises he's ever seen.

* Speaking to the Aquila after Sibil's death: “You promised me it wouldn’t be like this. I lie to them to spare their sorrow, even as I envy their mortality, and it breaks my heart.”

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Taken from Reddit without permission, so pardon my plagiarism!

The background on unification was neat. A brief summary of some of Malcador's claims, although bear in mind that they are not necessarily true:

* Claims to be 6718 years old.

* Emperor wasn't known as the Emperor until he met Malcador. He was just the greatest of the warlords on Terra

* The Sigillites were an order dedicated to remembering or preserving

* Malcador's contribution to the Emperor was telling him why all other regimes/nations/etc had failed.

* Claims the Emperor told him Unification would have been impossible without him

* Fought at the Emperor's side many times
Claims to have manipulated the Primarchs to turn on each other and Big E from the moment of their rediscovery. Also says this was no harder than playing chess. Quote: “We wanted the Primarchs to turn against one another. Against their father. Be assured, we maneuvered each of them from the moment of their rediscovery, pitting them against one another, stoking their brotherly rivalries with His unequal favor.”

* “Those who could not be managed- well, they would never reach the endgame.” Could be a nod to lost Primarchs? Who knows.

* “The Imperium is not for the post-humans, but for mankind.”

* Claims his failure was in underestimating the true enemy (Chaos) and that the war began before they were ready

* Narrator states that he could remember the details of all the sunrises he's ever seen.

* Speaking to the Aquila after Sibil's death: “You promised me it wouldn’t be like this. I lie to them to spare their sorrow, even as I envy their mortality, and it breaks my heart.”

Wait so,
Could that mean emps wasn't born in Paleolithic turkey, and that may be some kind of implanted/inherited memories to preserve the kernel of some eternal master plan?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Immanentized posted:

Wait so,
Could that mean emps wasn't born in Paleolithic turkey, and that may be some kind of implanted/inherited memories to preserve the kernel of some eternal master plan?

That would support what was said at the Beginning of Master of Mankind, where the soon-to-die warlord said that the emperor was a created during the Dark Age of Technology and wasn’t exactly what he purported to be

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Stolen from reddit. A 40k christmas carol:

Dashing through the blood, with a sleigh made out of bones, O'er the battlefield we go, beating men with stones!

Noise Marines will play, Nurgle is a blight, What fun is is to gather skulls to this slaying song tonight!

Revving swords, shooting guns, killing til we're done, Oh what fun it is to bathe my foes in holy promethium! Hey! Bolter rounds, melta guns, and some krak grenades, What a joy to see their xeno blood upon my blade!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Hey, audiobooks are bloody great. Even BL ones can be good.

I listened to the Brigador audiobook that came with the up armored edition over a couple of dozen walks during the summer. It was really drat good barring a few odd audio issues early on and some instances where another narrator filled in a couple of missed lines.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
tbf i listened to the Angron one and one with Malcador on earth talking to some proto-inquistion type in a vault. They were good but idk its just something about audiobooks themsevles that turn me off. I don't know why as I fly ALOT for work and listen to ALOT of podcasts. Audiobooks just rub me the wrong way

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

First Lord of the Imperium was pretty fun, I wish it was a little longer for the money but there are some pretty rad revelations in there.

Totally worth it.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
My little brother has started reading BL because I have a huge case full of books. He read Relentless, liked it, and is now going through The Iron Warriors Omnibus. I'm quite proud. It's nice to talk to someone getting into the stuff, who doesn't have much of a background (he only plays Dawn of War and the Space Marine game)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Tell him to play battlefleet Gothic armada next

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

moths posted:

First Lord of the Imperium was pretty fun, I wish it was a little longer for the money but there are some pretty rad revelations in there.

Totally worth it.

It was totally :psypop: that they put so many enormous revelations into a short, offhand audio drama. You'd think that knowledge that big would warrant being a book by itself.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Cooked Auto posted:

I listened to the Brigador audiobook that came with the up armored edition over a couple of dozen walks during the summer. It was really drat good barring a few odd audio issues early on and some instances where another narrator filled in a couple of missed lines.

I have a long commute, so I listened to the Dresden Files audiobooks a while back. On one of the early books (1 or 2,) there is a point where the narrator (James Marsters) loses track of what's going on and you hear him say something like "What? Oh, it's on the back of his neck...gently caress. (Deep Breath)"

I don't blame him though - Jim Butcher isn't a very good writer, especially on the earlier Dresden books.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

berzerkmonkey posted:

I have a long commute, so I listened to the Dresden Files audiobooks a while back. On one of the early books (1 or 2,) there is a point where the narrator (James Marsters) loses track of what's going on and you hear him say something like "What? Oh, it's on the back of his neck...gently caress. (Deep Breath)"

I don't blame him though - Jim Butcher isn't a very good writer, especially on the earlier Dresden books.

That sounds like impressively lazy work. When recording an audiobook, typically recording is highly broken up for ease of editing.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

That sounds like impressively lazy work. When recording an audiobook, typically recording is highly broken up for ease of editing.

Yeah, the original audiobook company seems to have been pretty mom & pop and they missed flagging that for removal.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

The Rat posted:

It was totally :psypop: that they put so many enormous revelations into a short, offhand audio drama. You'd think that knowledge that big would warrant being a book by itself.

See, this is the biggest problem with the heresy series. I am never, ever going to buy an audio book. Ever. So I miss out on major plots, resolutions to other plot lines and little moments that flesh out the setting. Same goes for the little glorified pamphlets they pedal as short stories.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would assume that the text of the short gets included in some omnibus or other. It might also not because there's some serious sea change lore introduced and I think they're testing the waters before making it official.

If you just want some of the MASSIVE spoilers:
Malcador and his secret order made the emperor into The Emperor.
The Heresy was planned as an extinction event after the marines had outlived their purpose.
The Emperor curated the Primarchs' jealously and insecurity, but didn't foresee chaos balancing the scales.
Malcador is like 7000 years old.

It's a lot to swallow when you're buying groceries expecting a light 20 minute puff piece.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Dog_Meat posted:

See, this is the biggest problem with the heresy series. I am never, ever going to buy an audio book. Ever. So I miss out on major plots, resolutions to other plot lines and little moments that flesh out the setting. Same goes for the little glorified pamphlets they pedal as short stories.

They eventually convert the audio books into regular books, like the various anthologies or as a short story before the main book.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
I listened to it again, and I think Malcador's either full of poo poo, or The Emperor is a god, was a god, and existed as some esoteric influencing force until Malcador found a physical form for him to begin his hands-on direction of the species. The body he occupies is just some gene-forged warlord that was big during the age of strife, kind of like how big deal chaos champions have their bodies possessed by higher ranking daemons.

I'm taking my CRISC exam in like 2 hours, and this is what I use my brain power on...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

There's a lot to unpack - I'd love to read more about pre Imperial times, but I don't think we'll get Unification Wars or another peek behind that curtain anytime soon.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Rumours are that they might be heading that way when they're done milking the Heresy.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Vadoc posted:

Rumours are that they might be heading that way when they're done milking the Heresy.

The unification wars and the great crusade would be loving SUPER cool really. A lot of my favorite parts of the horus heresy books are when they talk about pre heresy stuff.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Malcador as someone who helped focus or mold the Emperor is an interesting idea. I've seen in the lore and snippets people have posted that where the Emperor was detached from basic humanity that Malcador had a much firmer grasp on things. A case of someone with great vision guiding someone with great ability. And then in WH40k fashion hubris bringing it all down on their heads.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Immanentized posted:

I listened to it again, and I think Malcador's either full of poo poo, or The Emperor is a god, was a god, and existed as some esoteric influencing force until Malcador found a physical form for him to begin his hands-on direction of the species. The body he occupies is just some gene-forged warlord that was big during the age of strife, kind of like how big deal chaos champions have their bodies possessed by higher ranking daemons.

I'm taking my CRISC exam in like 2 hours, and this is what I use my brain power on...
Look man, if your threat model doesn't account for daemons then you're just asking for a breach.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I don't know if has been mentioned previously, but I'm halfway through the Spear of Shadows book, and I have to say, it's doing a really good job of grounding AoS. If you enjoyed any of the older Fantasy novels, Spear and the short story Auction of Blood are both very good ways to ease yourself into the AoS universe.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Look man, if your threat model doesn't account for daemons then you're just asking for a breach.

I think that's the CISSP-DILP, this just covered awareness training for your alcolytes.

ElPedro
Apr 22, 2008
A couple of weeks ago I found out I didn't just miss reading the latest Gaunt's Ghosts book prior to Warmaster, but 3 of them, which was a pretty cool discovery.

Having read them now, I wonder if anyone have read the short story Killbox? Mkoll is one of my favorite ghosts and it sounds good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ows47yrO8CU

Alfabusa back with another TTS video, this one focusing on Eldrad and Vect. I love the way Alfabusa ribs on 40K's sillier aspects while still respecting them.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Arcsquad12 posted:

Alfabusa back with another TTS video, this one focusing on Eldrad and Vect. I love the way Alfabusa ribs on 40K's sillier aspects while still respecting them.

Wonder how he's gonna fold in the new info on Malcador and the Emperor.

Emperorishly: Fucking lies, who told you such ignorant bullpoo poo?

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Trast posted:

Malcador as someone who helped focus or mold the Emperor is an interesting idea. I've seen in the lore and snippets people have posted that where the Emperor was detached from basic humanity that Malcador had a much firmer grasp on things. A case of someone with great vision guiding someone with great ability. And then in WH40k fashion hubris bringing it all down on their heads.

I've been banging this drum for a while, but most of the characters that the Emperor talks about being detached to are also detached (the Custodes, techpriests, and so forth)...when he talks to humans/space marines he seems much more human. How he really feels is still pretty much a mystery.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

It does drag on a bit at places but that is made up by the perfect characterization of Vect if anything.

MariusLecter posted:

I'm sure we'll find out in a year or two.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Cooked Auto posted:

It does drag on a bit at places but that is made up by the perfect characterization of Vect if anything.

That's pretty much my entire opinion of Alfabusa, so many bits in his writing is ruined by just dragging it out far too long or going for easy memes. Dude could really use a script editor.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

What I want to see is Big E's reaction once he learns about the War of the Beast. He's apparently incensed at the very thought of an Ork on Terra, imagine how he will react when he learns that a bunch of them almost destroyed his beloved Dirt!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

X_Toad posted:

What I want to see is Big E's reaction once he learns about the War of the Beast. He's apparently incensed at the very thought of an Ork on Terra, imagine how he will react when he learns that a bunch of them almost destroyed his beloved Dirt!

They briefly touched on this during one voxcast when one of the custodes frantically ran from the room to ask the administratum if Terra had two moons again.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I was curious to see what the reaction to First Lord of the Imperium was, so I checked Reddit.

Malcador at one point said the word "lie" so he's an unreliable narrator and everything he said is lies. Goddamnit, Reddit. How can anyone be that aggressively dense?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

moths posted:

I was curious to see what the reaction to First Lord of the Imperium was, so I checked Reddit.

Malcador at one point said the word "lie" so he's an unreliable narrator and everything he said is lies. Goddamnit, Reddit. How can anyone be that aggressively dense?

To be mildly fair, this is Malcador so I wouldn't take the man at his word if he said water is wet. Even if he didn't outright fabricate anything, not lying is not remotely the same thing as telling the truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
More than that, it seems really weird for BL to make these sort of major revelations regarding the Emperor at all, let alone in a throwaway audio novel.