Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Is it bad that part of me hopes my D&D game gets canceled this week so we can play more Gloomhaven?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
In our group we just hit level 2, so it was probably a good exercise to math out what perk to pick anyway since I have to nab one and I'm a Cragheart too, but there's just not way to quantify that scenario effect one without spoilers, so thanks for the help there.

Yeah, overall I'd rather have the 'remove two -1 cards' as well since I really like the idea of thinning the deck for rolling modifiers, but it actually changes the +/- odds to 39%/28%, so even if its a small difference it's actually pretty similar. Taking it twice you get to 37.5%/18.75%, so essentially you can kill off roughly the same amount of your negative for only two perks versus three, plus removing 4 cards. It's a pretty sweet deal, but you do lose out on like 13% odds of a positive draw. I don't have the time to math it out, but I'd be curious to see what the difference is in the perks for damage over a long span.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
We've really liked having the no scenario effect perk (those of us that had the option - my current character does not). Maybe the overall number of scenarios that zap you badly isn't as high as it's felt, but we seem to have hit a lot of them and the effects have been well worth avoiding. That said, we haven't exactly mathed out whether other perks would have been better, and our retirements and town are advanced enough by this point that even fresh characters are generally getting to pick 5+ perks out of the gate.

Edit: And tonight we got my character to level 9, our first of the game. Super psyched to get to use my level 9 card because it is ridiculous.

malkav11 fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 19, 2017

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

I did .....The Oozing Grove.... yesterday, first scenario I really didn't like and redoing it after the first failure knowing what I was in for didn't make it any better.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

BioTech posted:

I did .....The Oozing Grove.... yesterday, first scenario I really didn't like and redoing it after the first failure knowing what I was in for didn't make it any better.

The guest scenerios have some wonky balance.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

The guest scenerios have some wonky balance.

I never even realized it was a guest scenario because you find it in the town archives. Turns out you're right, that is reassuring.

The never ending rain of curses, oozes and poison might've been a nice challenge if you had to run a gauntlet to reach a goal, or take out something specific. But three high HP blobs that are immune to any sort of effect and are spread all over the map just make it an annoying grind.

Probably I will enjoy the next scenario like the dozen before this one, it just really felt out of place.

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

We had discussion about that earlier, just linked by number rather than name. It's one of the super hard ones. All we've got left open to do on my group is scenario 38, which is also garbage nonsense, and doesn't even have guest status to explain it.

The idiot runs at speed 3 to his death and there's no goddamn way you can chew through the giant lumps of meat that hit like trucks, while keeping ahead of speed 3 guy that doesn't help. Even with instant death moves, you can't do them every turn. The general internet seems to recommend Cragheart to do obstacles to help slow him by altering his route, which is completely ridiculous as a requirement.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Kiranamos posted:

More rules elegance - drawing a rolling modifier with advantage just adds the 2 cards you drew together instead of drawing more cards, unless you draw 2 rolling modifiers in which you keep drawing and then add everything together? And in this way, you can actually end up playing a null from an advantaged attack? That's a laffo right there, I think.

I didn't realise this when I added in my rolling mods to my tinkerer and as a group we've agreed I can shift that tick around. Because this is 100% BS.

Goals for modifiers should be to remove all the negatives you can, then remove negative scenario effects for me - then you can guarantee that when you blow that big attack with eagle eye goggles, barring curses arriving during the scenario, it will hit and it will do damage.

And when that's, .e.g, Ink Bomb or similar, that's pretty important.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
So we failed scenario 3. What are our options? Also I'm playing Spellweaver and I'm wondering if the class is just too weak for two players.

Lastly we've been playing with the scenario viewer app, so we don't know what's coming in the scenario because it's covered up. The book shows everything; are we making it too hard on ourselves?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I play a spell weaver in two player and feel pretty awesome nearly all of the time. Early on I'd become exhausted every scenario but not before killing more than my fair share of monsters. Now that I've learned to pace myself it isn't as much of an issue.

Spell weaver probably has more challenging hand management than the other starting classes. All of your decent abilities are loss, so it is important to know your cards and when is the best time to use them. Other classes can get by just focusing on reusable abilities but a spell weaver doing this is just bad.

Only thing that really gave me trouble was enemies with high shields. I recommend picking up the bow to help deal with them.

You are probably making things more difficult for you than other players with the app you are using.

It really helps if you tailor your abilities to the mission. Short scenarios with tough enemies pretty much require crackling air (until you have better gear, at least) while the same ability is a liability in longer scenarios.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 19, 2017

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Our spellweaver keeps derping and killing himself (including once when I had the battle goal to keep all my character allies up >.< I didn't get that perk. And I lost the next 2 ticks I gained afterwards arg) but he seems to have gotten the hang of it now. The key point is to be very aware of when you're using Loss cards, and not to spend them frivolously early on. Big attacks are fine, btu save stuff like the armour and the summons for later rooms when you've had a chance to rest up a bit.

ANd run with a Tinkerer buddy to give you discards and potentially a Loss back.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Sometimes it is worth it to open a scenario with fire orb though. Especially if you have goggles or a power potion.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Lorini posted:

So we failed scenario 3. What are our options? Also I'm playing Spellweaver and I'm wondering if the class is just too weak for two players.

Lastly we've been playing with the scenario viewer app, so we don't know what's coming in the scenario because it's covered up. The book shows everything; are we making it too hard on ourselves?

Like people have said, Goggles are pretty much a must have for the Spellweaver. Other than that you want to make sure you are playing a loss card roughly once a rest cycle - you will be underpowered without Aid from the Ether, Fire Orbs and Impaling Eruption coming out around twice a scenario.

You want to be timing Reviving Ether so you are playing it as your last 2 cards before you get all your loss cards back too or you are leaving a lot of damage on the table.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Playing with the scenario viewer is still recommended for me at this point - really happy being surprised with certain things in scenario 4 and 8. You just never open a door without excess movement to run away, and it should be fine.

The game is already way too full of spoilers on its own - namely the global achievement requirements that give away what will/can happen. Would have preferred a cross reference system or abbreviation or something other than putting it straight on there.

Kiranamos fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 19, 2017

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Kiranamos posted:

Playing with the scenario viewer is still recommended for me at this point - really happy being surprised with certain things in scenario 4 and 8. You just never open a door without excess movement to run away, and it should be fine.

Or towards, depending on the the character.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
With the app you can reveal the types of enemies you'll be fighting without revealing where they appear in the scenario. Maybe that's a happy balance if you are finding things too difficult. Personally I'm going to keep rolling with zero info at the outset
for now because it makes the anticipation of opening up a door way more palpable. If it starts to become a problem I'll probably fall back to what I described above.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

We've basically agreed to learn each new thing from scratch, including using the app to not know where the monsters are coming up, and not showing any new monsters until they appear.

We've not lost a scenario yet but we've come VERY close a couple of times. Like, finishing on the last round before everyone exhausts close.

It helps that the Tinkerer can vary his speed SO much, if you stick to non-loss cards for your first two rests, you can just keep going and going and going and you do have some decent non-loss cards by mid-level.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Im curious how you guys tabletalk or don't.
We talk about our actions like "I'm moving extremely fast and hopefully taking that guy out" or "I'm moving at avg speed and trying to get up in there to tank" etc.
I wonder if that is why we tend to crush these scenarios at +1 or +2 difficulty even while fighting like dogs over the coins/treasures.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Our spellweaver keeps derping and killing himself (including once when I had the battle goal to keep all my character allies up >.< I didn't get that perk. And I lost the next 2 ticks I gained afterwards arg) but he seems to have gotten the hang of it now. The key point is to be very aware of when you're using Loss cards, and not to spend them frivolously early on. Big attacks are fine, btu save stuff like the armour and the summons for later rooms when you've had a chance to rest up a bit.

ANd run with a Tinkerer buddy to give you discards and potentially a Loss back.

I thought the point of Spellweaver was to blow all your loss cards early on, then get them all back with that card that gives fetches all you last cards, thus saving you a short/long rest and letting you go on longer.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

tekz posted:

I thought the point of Spellweaver was to blow all your loss cards early on, then get them all back with that card that gives fetches all you last cards, thus saving you a short/long rest and letting you go on longer.

It's not about using them early on, though. The point of the Spellweaver is that your hand size is 8, and you can get the loss cards back to increase your effective hand size to what a normal class has. Using a loss card in the first run through of your deck loses you 3-4 turns over the scenario, more or less, so you want to do it only in the right circumstance. Of course for the spellweaver, you'll almost always do it in the first room where there's a huge group of enemies, but it works out.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

tekz posted:

The way rests work means that due to the smaller starting hand a Spellweaver still has to be relatively careful with their timing of loss cards to avoid running out of gas.

Assuming playing no loss cards:

12 Cards: 6 Turns (before resting)
11 Cards: 5 turns
10 Cards: 5 turns
9 Cards: 4 turns
8 Cards: 4 turns
7 Cards: 3 turns
6 Cards:3 turns
5 Cards: 2 turns
4 Cards: 2 turns
3 Cards: 1 turn
2 Cards: 1 turn

So a character with 10 cards starting has 25 turns maximum, assuming no cards lost from damage or play. Each card loss will effectively slide you down one row on the chart; hence why playing loss cards early can lose you a huge amount of turns.

A Spellweaver with 8 cards starting, who plays Reviving Ether with 2 cards left to bring their hand size back to 7, will have 16 turns + 12 turns = 28 turns in total. So only 3 more than a 10 card class, and 2 less than a Cragheart with 11 cards starting.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Ah I see, thanks.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

ChiTownEddie posted:

Im curious how you guys tabletalk or don't.
We talk about our actions like "I'm moving extremely fast and hopefully taking that guy out" or "I'm moving at avg speed and trying to get up in there to tank" etc.
I wonder if that is why we tend to crush these scenarios at +1 or +2 difficulty even while fighting like dogs over the coins/treasures.

I can't recall any exact rule or anything, but I think being somewhat vague like this was recommended. Giving exact numbers merits increasing the difficulty if I recall. That's how we play anyway, saying stuff like 'I'm going to do a moderate amount of damage' or 'I'm going to move as far as I can' or 'I won't really do much damage, but I'm going to muddle everyone'.

Realistically there's no hard and fast rule. If you're crushing things, up the difficulty. You could have really good players, really lucky draws, or both for all we know.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Yeah I play with my kids. Who give perfect knowledge. But don't play 'optimally' so we usually just eek out normal difficulty wins.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Our communication is typically along the lines of "I've got that guy", "I'm going fast", "stay close to me", and "can someone set *element*?".

When cards are revealed and people are making their actual moves, there's a bit more communication along the lines of "Oh god please don't stand there", because while we could all look over each others cards and math things out silently, that doesn't really add to the game.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Our communication is typically along the lines of "I've got that guy", "I'm going fast", "stay close to me", and "can someone set *element*?".

When cards are revealed and people are making their actual moves, there's a bit more communication along the lines of "Oh god please don't stand there", because while we could all look over each others cards and math things out silently, that doesn't really add to the game.

I feel like I need to switch my group to something more vague like this. It'll make turns faster and more interesting.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

The quote the official FAQ, the only hard rule seems to be "As long as you avoid specific numerical values and card titles, you can say whatever you want.".

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

The Lord of Hats posted:

This is pretty much exactly what my group does.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

"If you stay close to me and nobody uses that frost I'll give you some cards back."

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

We try and avoid numbers, but at this point, I've more or less started naming moves, it's just easier. THere are only two things I could be talking about when I indicate I'm doing a ranged burst attack, and if I say it's going to make an element, it's Ink Bomb. So why obfuscate?

We find it super difficult to coordinate all of the 'buff for being adjacent' stuff anyway, so it's rarely much of an issue.

But then, as noted, we've not lost a scenario yet, nor IRC failed to get a treasure except for the one where the boss failed to open any doors before we killed him and we couldn't. We need to go back and do that one again. So maybe we coudl stand to up the DC a bit.

two_step
Sep 2, 2011
Played my first game last night, 4 players, Mindthief, tinker, brute, and scoundrel. It was a little touch and go, mostly because we were all learning the game, but we won. Balancing card burn rate with damage is tough, and I was surprised by just how much damage our tank took by just wading into the big clump of guards in the starting room.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Moonwolf posted:

We had discussion about that earlier, just linked by number rather than name. It's one of the super hard ones. All we've got left open to do on my group is scenario 38, which is also garbage nonsense, and doesn't even have guest status to explain it.

The idiot runs at speed 3 to his death and there's no goddamn way you can chew through the giant lumps of meat that hit like trucks, while keeping ahead of speed 3 guy that doesn't help. Even with instant death moves, you can't do them every turn. The general internet seems to recommend Cragheart to do obstacles to help slow him by altering his route, which is completely ridiculous as a requirement.
This is the hardest scenario I've seen so far. Especially if you're only two players.

I think you need to clear the first two rooms entirely, and then just run along with him until the last room. Maybe a group of four can clear everything in time but for two or three players there's just too much stuff with too much hp. Running past and fighting everything as it comes to you in the last room seems like the way to do it. If you can wound stuff on your way past, even better.

I was playing another class that can cheese it even harder than the cragheart, and it was still incredibly difficult with two players. Although to be fair I think we were playing the two least synergistic classes in the game

misguided rage fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 19, 2017

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Serious question: how many times have any of you ever taken a short rest? I never have and I'm wondering if there's a specific tactical benefit that I'm missing.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

CaptainRightful posted:

Serious question: how many times have any of you ever taken a short rest? I never have and I'm wondering if there's a specific tactical benefit that I'm missing.

I've done three scenarios and I've done more short rests than long rests. I think my party as a whole has done more short rests than long rests, because it doesn't change your initiative and you can make the decision on the fly without taking a whole turn to do it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I short rest way more then long rest.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

two_step posted:

Played my first game last night, 4 players, Mindthief, tinker, brute, and scoundrel. It was a little touch and go, mostly because we were all learning the game, but we won. Balancing card burn rate with damage is tough, and I was surprised by just how much damage our tank took by just wading into the big clump of guards in the starting room.

Yeah, tanking really isn't a 'thing' with the starter characters at least. Don't know about any of the unlocks yet. Your best bets to avoid damage are things like status effects (which apply regardless of damage done), shield, or cards that have effects like push after attack. Or realistically, killing them before they can kill you. Gloomhaven in many cases is something of a race for damage since health is so low for most things. What's the videogame term? Rocket tag?

CaptainRightful posted:

Aside from the obviously stated benefits, there is one additional perk to a long versus short rest; it takes a turn to do it in which you are not spending a card. You still lose a card, but you get that from a short rest too. If you're waiting by a door for people to catch up, or to finish up an enemy or whatever you're essentially saving two cards going into your discard which might end up saving one turn depending on the timing of the rest.

Actually, now that I think of it, if you're disarmed, immobilized, or otherwise unable to act in a useful way on a turn, it might be a good way to kill off those statuses if you were going to rest soon anyway.

Frush fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 19, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Brute looks like a tank. But he's not really? At first.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CaptainRightful posted:

After about 7 scenarios I've only ever taken one long rest.

Are you missing that a short rest doesn't take a turn?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Bombadilillo posted:

Brute looks like a tank. But he's not really? At first.
You can build him like a tank if you want, but I think it's only really viable in larger, 4p games. In 2p I built him as a damage/status dealer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Short resting is my default unless I have some items I really want to refresh. I'll also long rest on those rare ocassions when there's a lull in the action where I can long rest a turn while enemies come closer/someone else opens a door/a new enemy spawns because of scenario conditions, etc. Beyond the item refresh I feel there's very little advantage to long rests. Heal 2 is nice but hardly worth giving up an entire turn with active monsters.