Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Oh I see what you mean now, like a full sheet of timber-sized whiteboard for £gently caress all. It's not something I've seen here - a 1200x2400 board is going to be £100+.

Yah. I used to pick up 3m wide ones for a little under a hundo on ebay. It's not a very big home office so I might just pick up a folding one or maybe see if I can do some kind of sliding setup with two boards? We're straying into DIY forum I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Bloody hell, non-technical piss off today.

Someone who I was friendly with, and had a good working relationship with comes in to the office today and starts chatting with all of us. One person comments about how they got the flu shot, but it hasn't been terribly helpful so far this year.

This sets the person off about how it's her right to raise her kids however they want and if she doesn't want to vaccinate her kids she shouldn't have to, it's either complete freedom or nothing, and the government can raise her kids then. Somehow she compares it to driving, and how that's dangerous and if you don't like it you can stay off the road. I try and point out how driving is regulated and such but she shuts that down because... :shrug:

So I say the government should raise kids then, because not being vaccinated when you can be is tantamount to murder of those who can't be vaccinated. She then threw a poo poo fit and left. I sent her a non-apology and a clear notice I would still be willing to work with her in a professional capacity at my full ability, and would not be doing anything to be a dick.

She replied she didn't appreciate being called a murderer and said "yes, work only conversation." No mention of also working at full ability in relation to me.

This is going to be loving awkward now.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Never mix work and politics, round 3,875,123

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Yeah sorry, why's that awkward? She's wrong. Just go about your life as though you don't even know how wrong she is.

Find that Don Draper space in your head.

Her: I feel bad for you.
You: I don't think about you at all.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

the presence of antivaxxers is a hostile work environment imo

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Try Trumpers. Like I needed more reasons to be angry while at work.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Jeoh posted:

And potentially a dumb work environment. Borrowing a line from the "flat-earthers": If she is willing to take that stance on a solved non-issue, what stance will she have on debatable problems, work related issues? Wouldn't anyone from now on just question her competency to perform even the most basic work duties?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Volguus posted:

And potentially a dumb work environment. Borrowing a line from the "flat-earthers": If she is willing to take that stance on a solved non-issue, what stance will she have on debatable problems, work related issues? Wouldn't anyone from now on just question her competency to perform even the most basic work duties?

I'm currently struggling with that in my new job with the one boss who thinks hurricanes are government controlled, in addition to being a complete twat.

Never mix work with religion or politics, round 3,875,123

Ftfy

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yeah sorry, why's that awkward? She's wrong. Just go about your life as though you don't even know how wrong she is.

Find that Don Draper space in your head.

Her: I feel bad for you.
You: I don't think about you at all.

It's awkward because she was a nice lady, and now I know she's a moron. It's gonna take some time to fully mentally reclassify her.

Yeah. I shouldn't have even bothered speaking up. Never goes well.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Jeoh posted:

Assuming you can work with people professionally regardless of their personal opinions, if someone says something incredibly stupid about literally anything that's not work-related you just make a non-committal "mhm" and make a note not to ever, ever talk about anything not-work-related with that person because if they're dumb enough to bare their rear end at work, it's very likely they're not able to keep it professional if they find out someone disagrees with them

Volguus posted:

Then when you find out she's done something incredibly stupid work-related, you speak up, but not before

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Frankly you just have to know what not to talk about. I just made an out-loud comment about one of our location managers and how he never manages to write anything of substance when he sends in emails (which he will only do when he feels the sky is falling). I proceeded to get a 15 minute lecture from one of the engineers who used to have my job of how I need to communicate with him better (...?) and that the area he’s over is my bread and butter and I need to be sure and take care of them.

So instead of getting free ($60 a head) Christmas lunch with the department I got to go work at booths out in the rain on trivial problems - literally half of which were resolved before I could even get there and didn’t affect usability of the devices. One tablet they claimed was down because the windows narrator was turned on and you couldn’t turn the volume down. This is outside, surrounded by diesel trucks.

There’s a lot more subtext there than comes across - essentially it just escalated to an untenable point almost instantly with that guy. But that guy is vocal and would (probably has) stab(bed) me in the back in a heartbeat. The best part is that he still didn’t know what I was complaining about. Some times you just have to shut up.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I worked central government civil service for a while and there was an unspoken rule about the office: never, ever discuss politics. It's the only way to stay sane.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

it's less politics, more "holy poo poo don't kill your offspring you stupid rear end"

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Elizabethan Error posted:

it's less politics, more "holy poo poo don't kill your offspring you stupid rear end"

The right to be willfully ignorant even though it's detrimental to society is an inherently political issue.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
offices without customers to complain about are a cess-pool of dodgy, passively-hostile conversations that should nearly always be avoided.

I used to steer conversations towards movies because even if people disagreed, there were so many other movies to talk about until everybody had something to agree on and be happy with.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Enter: BREXIT

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Someone went report-crazy and scheduled email 'alerts' every time certain actions are performed in our system. New sales order, new customer, etc

Which is fine, but you're sending the email to 6 different people a hundred times a day so the mail server thinks it's spam (Rackspace so we can't just whitelist it)

So then I said hey, why not use a distribution list, and why not send a daily summary report or something. People are just ignoring these anyway because they get so loving many.

#1 rule of alerts, only send things that are interesting

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Sorry I can't hear you, your signal is very weak

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Nothing is interesting anymore.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

SamDabbers posted:

The right to be willfully ignorant even though it's detrimental to society is an inherently political issue.
it's not political when a kid gets sick and dies because their parent is ignorant, nor is it politics when said parent carries whatever illness around with them, taking a huge steaming poo poo on the concept of herd immunity.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Being a self important prick who only looks out for one's self is every American's god given right. Hell we've even got an entire political party devoted to it.

See that's how you talk politics without talking about politics, because who am I talking about? Whichever side of the fence you're on, surely I'm talking about the other party.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

it's not political when a kid gets sick and dies because their parent is ignorant, nor is it politics when said parent carries whatever illness around with them, taking a huge steaming poo poo on the concept of herd immunity.

But Jenny McCarthy's son got the 'Tism from vaccines! She told me so herself!

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

So maybe the wrong thread, but holy poo poo I need to rant.

Year end "review" came in. We'll call it that, anyways. 2% raise (company standard across the board)f. Talk to my direct supervisor about it and "unless you did something really noticeable" that's all we can get.

Great, so, because IT is the "invisible" department, and even though we can demonstrate having saved the company over 200k this year, plus helping an expensive consultancy firm implement things on incredibly short notice, along with 3000 other things - nope, not noticeable.

So what's the "Average" in IT for a yearly raise (for those who get one)? Should I be pissed about 2%? I'm in a bad job market for just "leaving" and finding something better, but at this point I'm willing to go find a camp job (I'm in the mining industry) and fly in/out. Or transfer underground and get 3x the pay with zero stress.

I'd work on more certs, but they don't reward that either. Unless you're underground you don't get squat. Mostly just ranting/frustrated, but jesus christ, it sucks to bust your rear end and get poo poo on.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What's inflation running at where you are?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

You get the best raises by raising yourself out of the company into another one, unfortunately.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Thanks Ants posted:

What's inflation running at where you are?

Nationally 1.6%, local cost of living has increased closer to 4-5% though.

And, yeah, figured - time to get out. Get a cert or two and make my escape.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

If you honest to god manage to convince an antivaxxer coworker to vaccinate with an in-office argument please let us know, but

- the only way you’re going to push (political viewpoint) into happening or not happening is voting and convincing like-minded people to vote also

- anyone on the fence that’s convincable aren’t going to be the ones ranting about the topic unsolicited at work

- getting into a slapfight about it in the office is the definition of making GBS threads where you eat no matter how you slice it

e:

Siochain posted:

And, yeah, figured - time to get out. Get a cert or two and make my escape.

yeah raise amount aside you’ve basically been told “there is no chance of furthering your career here” in not as many words

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
So I got a talking to about that row with the anti-vaxxer.

Choice quotes:
"This won't affect your upcoming review and raise"

"I am absolutely not mad at you"

"Professionalism is about when to disengage"

"You'll learn those skills eventually"

and

"Come to me if you need to vent."

I'm going to take it at face value, note to myself to not discuss anything with anyone at work ever, and pray I get over a buck an hour raise at my review next month.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Avenging_Mikon posted:

So I got a talking to about that row with the anti-vaxxer.

Choice quotes:
"This won't affect your upcoming review and raise"

"I am absolutely not mad at you"

"Professionalism is about when to disengage"

"You'll learn those skills eventually"

and

"Come to me if you need to vent."

I'm going to take it at face value, note to myself to not discuss anything with anyone at work ever, and pray I get over a buck an hour raise at my review next month.

Trump being president should be proof that people hold bizarre political opinions and you aren't going to change their mind when they only consider you a pleasant business acquaintance.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

If you honest to god manage to convince an antivaxxer coworker to vaccinate with an in-office argument please let us know, but

- the only way you’re going to push (political viewpoint) into happening or not happening is voting and convincing like-minded people to vote also

- anyone on the fence that’s convincable aren’t going to be the ones ranting about the topic unsolicited at work

- getting into a slapfight about it in the office is the definition of making GBS threads where you eat no matter how you slice it

e:

yeah raise amount aside you’ve basically been told “there is no chance of furthering your career here” in not as many words

The chances of you changing an anti-vaxxers mind through rational and calm discussion in the office are precisely 0%. At my previous employer, we often had protesters outside our facilities and were told not to engage them. Which was good advice, because you're not going to change their mind, and they're not going to change your mind. Save your energy and just make meaningless small talk with them if you have to. The weather, food, sports scores. Your sanity will thank you.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
We do yearly raises in June. Is that normal?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sefal posted:

It can be. It depends on when your internal fiscal year ends.

I've worked at companies where the fiscal year was July through June.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sefal posted:

Depends when fiscal year ends, a lot of companies have fiscal years that do not coincide with the calendar year.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Ah I see. That makes sense.
Thank you!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We only do merit raises. Your boss has to give you one, we dont just do them every year etc

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Sefal posted:

Our year starts April 1.

I like that this company starts its year in a day of pranks and jokes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Agrikk posted:

Our year starts April 1.

I like that this company starts its year in a day of pranks and jokes.

Like your salary :v:.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Sefal posted:

Our yearly raise was decided in April. We got it in December because one of the unions kept pushing back for a better deal. The upside (I guess?) is that they backdated it to April so I basically got a Christmas bonus.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Pissing me off:

Company for reasons(power play between SVP and CTO) has decided to outsource the platform we built, and the job is getting much smaller in scope. I can theoretically stay for as long as I want, but I don’t know.

Not pissing me off:

It’s gonna take a year or so and I’ve dipped my toe in the new job market and already getting tons of nibbles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

First email:

Please be sure to also report your shipping information as promptly as possible.

Only if you are close enough to the delivery location that you can ship and deliver on the same day (1/2/18) will PO revisions be needed.
Otherwise, you should be able to ship before the delivery date on the PO, of 1/1/18.
Even if you are needing to ship on 12/22/17 due to being closed the week of Christmas.
(Reminder, shipments cannot arrive early for direct to store deliveries!)

Acknowledgements.
For Walmart, it is business as usual, and there will be project orders placed the week of Christmas and New Years.
Reminder that the Acknowledgement window is only 3-days from the day of PO creation. (not including weekends)
Scorecards will not be adjusted do to missed acknowledgements during this time.

Shipments.
Reminder that shipping information does need to be uploaded to PULSE the same day as the shipment happens.
This will allow for tracking, if needed, and also keep the PO’s off of the reports, as long as the information is uploaded without errors.

Thank you and Happy Holidays,

The next email:

Subject: Supplier - PULSE Updates

Dear Walmart PULSE Supplier,

Happy Holidays and wishing you much success in the New Year!

We are pleased to announce Lumatrak is releasing today (December 20, 2017) an improved look and feel to PULSE. Please take a few minutes to review the attached short document that shows these improvements.

Thank you for all you do throughout the year and we wish you all the best.

Sincerely,
Team Lumatrak

Hey! Let's update this SUPER ESSENTIAL TRACKING SYSTEM the day before a 3-day Christmas weekend! What could go wrong!?