Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
So I ended up ordering some Tamiya panel line accent's. Is there anything I need to know about using them instead of the lining markers/pens? I know you put 1-2 dabs of it on a line and it spreads and fills the line out, but is there anything else I need to know about? Prolly wont use them for a bit since I don't have anything I need to line built atm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
You'll want a gloss topcoat to 1) protect the plastic from becoming brittle and 2) make it flow better through the panel lines. Some people don't have an issue with it on bare plastic but I've definitely had parts snap and crumble easily because I didn't.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Liners are usually lacquer or enamel, both can erode ABS plastic. As can acetone (like in sharpies)

But yeah, a topcoat will deal with that just fine. If you dont have much experience with topcoats just get a bottle of Pledge Future and brush it on (its actually a clear acrylic hardener).

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Yeah just make sure that the topcoat is a different composition to the wash and you should be golden.

Dab it on, let the capillary action pull it through, clean up after about 15 minutes with a small dab of enamel thinner on a qtip or lighter fluid, wiping perpendicular to the panel line, don't follow the line or the q tip may pickup the actual panel line.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I was in my local AEON superstore today buying last minute Christmas crap and I walked by the gunpla aisle not really expecting to buy anything today but to my suprise they actually had the new action bases in. Unfortunately they only had the larger AB4, so I haven't tried out the smaller AB5 yet but I've put together one of the AB4s I got and figured I'd do a little report for the thread.

I'll start out by saying I didn't mind the old action bases at all, I never had any problem with the screws and thought they made the arms quite sturdy. One of the major selling points of the new action base line is that they don't need any screws so I was initially concerned that they wouldn't quite stand up to the old design but I was totally wrong. I set the arm at the widest possible setting and put more than a fair amount force into it but it neither slipped nor snapped.

Here's what you get in the Action Base 4 set. The 5 set contains much the same but with smaller arms. Borrowing an image from Hobby Search:

A. The weapon arm. 1 joint in the middle, with the pegs at each ends also movable but none of the joints are locking so it won't be able to hold any significant weight.
B and C. The two halves of the main arm, the pegs at the end each have a lockable joint but the joint between the two halves is free moving, supported by the spaces. Each half can also function as a single arm using M, O and Q.
D. Three crotch grabbers in differing widths.
E. The dolly claw. The claw hands are non-locking so it's only really good to prop up figures that have trouble free standing.
F. Long right-angle peg. Promotional photos show it being used to hold figures in standing poses without the girth of the arm getting in the way.
G. Standard peg. The same tiny peg you know and presumably love.
H. Right-angle male-female adapted.
I. Base clips to hold together the hex bases.
J. Female-female adapters.
K. Male-male adapter.
L. Listed as peg-type holder for weapons. Also works as female-female adapter for small pegs.
N. The ladder spacers for the main arm. These clip into place on the arms making for more secure and less stressful posing.
P. Standard base for assembled main arm.

Here's what the main arms end up looking like when used as 2 separate arms:

They can be assembled either way to make for a satisfying variety of angles.

Here's a close up of the locking mechanism on the ends of the main arm pieces. It's just a single piece that slides a small wedge into the teeth on the peg ends which works quite well though does technically limit the number of possible angles for the end pegs.

All together this makes for a fairly impressive array of functions though it does fall down in one particular area. The weapon arm does not include any additional end pegs. Out of box, one end is the small style peg, while the other is the largest peg size which only fits in the base. Normally not that much of a problem but maddeningly there are small peg sized holes on both the base and the main arms. If they had included just one extra piece for the weapon arm it would have opened up a whole new range of possibilities for item placement, which it really seems like it was meant to be for but the pieces are missing for no apparent reason. (Also the small holes are too small for Petitgguy bits. Booooo)

That said though, the extra sturdiness of the hex shape stands as well as the inter-compatibility between the 4 and 5 sets makes these a more than capable successor to the earlier stands.

Edit: I've checked and the bases are also compatible with the arms of the AB1 and 2 though the pegs for the AB1 are a lot longer so they would need to be trimmed down.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 21, 2017

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
How well do they work keeping a standing model in place? One of the main selling points for me is they can supposedly also support standing poses unlike AB 1+2 only able to do floating poses. Thanks for the review.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Thanks to the ability to split into two, the main arms can get pretty low. Then you can either use your standard crotch attachments or the claw attachment to hold them in place.

For the purposes of demonstration, I tried to be fairly silly with Fenice and managed make it work eventually. The only downside is the side swivel is only available in 45 degree increments.

Limbering up

One arm handstand!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

Thanks to the ability to split into two, the main arms can get pretty low. Then you can either use your standard crotch attachments or the claw attachment to hold them in place.

For the purposes of demonstration, I tried to be fairly silly with Fenice and managed make it work eventually. The only downside is the side swivel is only available in 45 degree increments.

Limbering up

One arm handstand!

You could finally pose a Freedom Gundam in an inverse HiMAT strike :allears:.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Found myself pleasantly surprised building the Reincar; I expected it to go pretty similarly to the Grimgerde, but there's actually a lot of pieces that can be easily removed to make an asymmetric design that would go well with the suits' bovine aesthetic for a gladiator-style custom. It also might be the most polycap-lean modern kit topping out at a whopping five, which leaves a lot of spares for kitbashing.

The sword and club are also pretty clever considering it's just 6 pieces (four if you dont count the halves of the weapons separately). Lots of options for wielding them; separately, together in a twohander/bastard sword style (handles are adjustable for length between the club and sword), and together in a spear style. You can also cannibalize the club handle to extend the grip, if you're into 3+ armed assortments (and IBO offers plenty of kits for that) or twohanding for a 1/100 kit (since the sword is massive).

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

I'm buying five

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You could finally pose a Freedom Gundam in an inverse HiMAT strike :allears:.
I own the old MG Freedom, I now want to do just this.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm buying five

Getting a lot of mileage out of that chest

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm buying five

Okay her ankles having the Lohegrin or whatever they're called is great.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Monaghan posted:

Okay her ankles having the Lohegrin or whatever they're called is great.
You'll love the name: HGBF 1/144 Mrs Lohengrinko

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm buying five

uuuuuuuuuugh... :doh:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So Bandai makes the Action Zaku a P-Bandai but the all black and grey prototype that recycles the Origin Zaku's shoulder armor again gets the regular release

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I was finishing up a Gouf Custom and my SO said "Oh he's stout, isn't he?"

just fuckin fat shamed that robot stone cold

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm buying five

Really hope it’s not P Bandai. Still sad I can’t get my Rick-Do Gyanko

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Marx Headroom posted:

O W N E D

Are you going to display him next to an overflag?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Marx Headroom posted:

You know what you need to do.

:sever:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Marx Headroom posted:

Like pilot like suit.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Neurolimal posted:

O W N E D

Are you going to display him next to an overflag?

That's hilarious but I think I need a Gusion now

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
So I have a HGUC Gelgoog Jager I built years ago that I lost a piece that goes on the crotch and it's driving me crazy.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So it's the 30th anniversary of Gundam Sentinel, and the next MG is #200.

I know it's too much to hope for given the licensing nightmare but man I'd love at least something. Maybe a Sentinel FAZZ P-Bandai or something.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I know it's too much to hope for given the licensing nightmare but man I'd love at least something. Maybe a Sentinel FAZZ P-Bandai or something.

We got confirmation of MG #200 a while ago and it's the GM Command.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Didn't they just release like three GMs in a row?

Come the gently caress on Bandai.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Didn't they just release like three GMs in a row?

Come the gently caress on Bandai.

On the bright side we're getting an HG woundwort, so you can have her and your deep striker rub forcefield emitters.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I finished snapping together the RG 00 Gundam Seven Sword/Inspection G today and it comes with some fairly overly big and heavy weapons so I thought it'd be a good test for the new action base.

I'll admit it's perhaps not the most inspiring pose ever (and the photography needs work too, yes) but it certainly would have been impossible on the AB1 or 2. The extra holes and arm (the clear one came with the kit) really make it easy to get bigger weapons in the right place and stay up too. Adjusting the angle of the arm on the fly can be pretty annoying though because if you've already clipped the spacer in place it takes a significant amount of force to dislodge it again which could result in some unintended 'flight mode' mishaps if you weren't careful.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Sooo

Apparently there's gonna be a new mg announced on January 1st and it's gonna be from gundam sentinel :psyduck:

Could you please buy a lotto ticket for me?

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
People are talking like it's gonna be the deep striker and Bandai isnt just going to slap some extra parts on the new ZZ for the FAZZ.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I would be all over a FAZZ, so fine by me.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

That Gobbo posted:

People are talking like it's gonna be the deep striker and Bandai isnt just going to slap some extra parts on the new ZZ for the FAZZ.

So long as it's the FAZZ with the big gun I don't even care. Even if they don't put in the 'correct' head/feet/wings, I'll get it anyways because I'm a sucker for that gun and that colorscheme.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Give me the beefy boy, Bandai.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The design so bulky you can lose your head in all the plating.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
As long as it doesnt have the ZZ's poo poo wings like the picture I'm all for it.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
The MG GM sniper model is nice. There aren't nearly enogh variants or toolings. Space Command? GMIII ? Y'all can keep your gaudy sentinel stuff.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I was looking through SD's page and I can't believe I forgot about these

I don't know if they'd do it but I'd love to get a Hummingbird. Man, the first can't come fast enough.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
They're doing a RG Black Tri-Stars Hi-Mobility Zaku. P-Bandai, naturally.

They're doing three colorschemes for the Hi-Mobility Zaku and the worst one gets general release.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Guy Goodbody posted:

They're doing a RG Black Tri-Stars Hi-Mobility Zaku. P-Bandai, naturally.

They're doing three colorschemes for the Hi-Mobility Zaku and the worst one gets general release.

You say this like there are any bad Zaku colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
My friend is finishing up his hi-nu build and waved his fancy westenfluss destiny in my face for his next project. Are there any rules against killing someone for their gunpla?