Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
On my Jamaican honeymoon we left the large doors wide open all the time and I don't remember there being an insect I problem, although I suspect the resort must have been using some sort of strong bug repellant. I don know much about the tropics, is it normal to be bug free? I would still like a garage door on a house, sure it might suck on days when the bugs are out but the good thing is you can close it.

What I find ironic is the local Twin Peaks (cheaper Hooters) has garage doors everywhere, but they use real garage doors with full tracks and then added bolts for security. If they only wanted the look, there should have been easier, possibly less expensive ways to accomplish it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I have a standing-seam metal roof on my house and it's fantastic. It'll easily last for another 50-odd years and possibly even longer with proper maintenance.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Platystemon posted:

Someone on Reddit has an issue with this arrangement.

I lived in an apartment sorta like this. Actual floorplan, from their website:

Yeah, 2nd bedroom has its own exterior door, but if you wanted to get to the rest of the apartment (including the bathroom), you had to go through the 1st bedroom. Yes, that is 4 exterior doors in a 2 bedroom apartment. Wasn't a remodel either, place was built like that to begin with (built in 1990, first visited a friend there around 95, moved there in 97). IIRC they plopped down a studio apartment between the 2 bedroom units with that layout.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Yeah, 2nd bedroom has its own exterior door, but if you wanted to get to the rest of the apartment (including the bathroom), you had to go through the 1st bedroom. Yes, that is 4 exterior doors in a 2 bedroom apartment. Wasn't a remodel either, place was built like that to begin with (built in 1990, first visited a friend there around 95, moved there in 97). IIRC they plopped down a studio apartment between the 2 bedroom units with that layout.

Why does each bedroom have TWO CLOSETS???

The closets at the bottom could have been a hallway!

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

this looks like they made a bunch of 1BR units then did a half-assed conversion to 2br + studios because they can probably get about as much for a studio but more for a 2BR.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Crotch Fruit posted:

On my Jamaican honeymoon we left the large doors wide open all the time and I don't remember there being an insect I problem, although I suspect the resort must have been using some sort of strong bug repellant. I don know much about the tropics, is it normal to be bug free? I would still like a garage door on a house, sure it might suck on days when the bugs are out but the good thing is you can close it.

Tropics are prime geography for mosquitos, but it also very locational. A place in the tropics can be free of mosquitos if it doesn't have a good environment for them. A lot of coastal areas that are in mosquito zones don't actually have a ton of them because strong winds, like the ones coming off the sea, are not very hospitable and will keep the area clear. You can also keep them away by reducing breeding and living locations; standing water, bushes and high grass, or hollows. A resort may be close to the water and benefit from the wind, and also probably does landscaping to make the area unattractive to them.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

spog posted:

In my mind, the sole purpose of rollup doors is to be something for alcoholic forklift drivers to crash into.
That's not fair - They're also hit by impatient truck drivers.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I’m the breakfast bar on casters.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Horse Clocks posted:

I’m the breakfast bar on casters.

Really, really tiny casters.

My kitchen island is a bit bigger and also on casters, but they are a hell of a lot larger than those. They're also hidden and I rarely move it (but they're super nice when I need to)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Those casters are going to fail after a few rolls over the tile.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Those casters are going to fail after a few rolls over the tile.

Or someone is going to push it against the long edge when the casters are stuck in a tile join.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've seen casters that size capable of holding several tons of weight. I mean given everything else going on those might be crap but you cannot really tell from the photo.

It's definitely going to be annoying using casters on tile, though.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Jaded Burnout posted:

The roof coverings I see in this thread and elsewhere, the felt ones that sort of look a bit like tiles everyone refers to as shingles, would be considered very low rent in the UK. Felt is reserved for (cheap) flat roofs and even the cheapest of cheap houses have real tiles.

Edit: this may be related to the fact that most UK roof construction doesn't use sheets of plywood like US ones do; it's rafters plus non-tar felt as wind protection then tiles on top for rain protection.

In Australia, roofing is always tile or corrugated galvanised steel. I don't think I've ever seen asphalt shingles here, and as above they would be considered extremely low-rent. Probably a few steps below a fibro shack.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

GotLag posted:

In Australia, roofing is always tile or corrugated galvanised steel. I don't think I've ever seen asphalt shingles here, and as above they would be considered extremely low-rent. Probably a few steps below a fibro shack.

In north america anything other than the cheapest 5 year warranty asphalt shingles is considered ultra luxury that no one would ever want to pay for so developers never use them. Why pay $20,000 for a roof that will last for 70 years when you can pay $10,000 for one that will last for 10???

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

In north america anything other than the cheapest 5 year warranty asphalt shingles is considered ultra luxury that no one would ever want to pay for so developers never use them. Why pay $20,000 for a roof that will last for 70 years when you can pay $10,000 for one that will last for 10???

every house in my area of socal has either concrete or terra cotta tiles.

most have solar panels too for some reason

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

FCKGW posted:

Lectricity.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

every house in my area of socal has either concrete or terra cotta tiles.

You're in SoCal, it's sunny all the time there and California gives juicy incentives for people to install solar. There's your reason.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We have a galvanium roof.
The castes in Japan (like Himeji) are often refitted with a metal roof and a foam padding that looks like real clay tiles but weighs significantly less.

This doesn't show that specifically but you would probably like this reconstruction gallery.
https://www.kajima.co.jp/tech/himeji_castle/progress/restoration/index-j.html

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
When I stayed in rural Kyoto I noticed a bunch of the houses had weirdly bulky metal roofing. Apparently it's something of a local specialty, and is the traditional thatch but with a steel cladding to keep the weather off and reduce the frequency of repairs/replacement.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Heck yeah kawaii
http://www.kinzoku-yane.or.jp/feature/n_10/n_10-03.html

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Qwijib0 posted:

this looks like they made a bunch of 1BR units then did a half-assed conversion to 2br + studios because they can probably get about as much for a studio but more for a 2BR.

If so, it was immediately after they were built - it was built in 1990, and I first saw the 2 bedroom layout in 1995 (then moved into a 1 bedroom several years later, then a friend moved into a studio there shortly after).

I think it was more of a "let's add 2 bedroom units after all the plans have been done and exterior walls are up... pfft, we don't need to pay an architect again". The funny part is... every unit there includes a washer and dryer, but the 1 and 2 bedroom units have a stackable unit. The studios have full size units in one of the studio layouts (and a murphy bed - friend had one of those units).

The annoying part is if you're expecting a delivery, and you're in one of those 2 bedroom units with 3 main doors + 1 sliding door, you have no loving clue which door the delivery person will knock on. Every door has the apt #.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

The annoying part is if you're expecting a delivery, and you're in one of those 2 bedroom units with 3 main doors + 1 sliding door, you have no loving clue which door the delivery person will knock on. Every door has the apt #.

Tell me the bedroom doors are keyed differently.

If I were in a roommate situation, I'm not sure how I'd feel about that. Actually, I do know. It would be "fuuuuuuck that"

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

If so, it was immediately after they were built - it was built in 1990, and I first saw the 2 bedroom layout in 1995 (then moved into a 1 bedroom several years later, then a friend moved into a studio there shortly after).

I think it was more of a "let's add 2 bedroom units after all the plans have been done and exterior walls are up... pfft, we don't need to pay an architect again". The funny part is... every unit there includes a washer and dryer, but the 1 and 2 bedroom units have a stackable unit. The studios have full size units in one of the studio layouts (and a murphy bed - friend had one of those units).

I always wanted a place with a Murphy bed. Preferably one of those stealthed ones that look like a closet door or something.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It included the mattress. :barf:

It wasn't concealed much, IIRC. And if you weren't careful folding it down, you'd hit the ceiling fan (specifically, the light). It's been almost 14 years since I left there though, so my memory is a bit fuzzy. Murphy beds are cool when done right, and when you provide your own mattress. This one was slapped in as a way to make it a dining room/sleeping area.

Everything was keyed alike for the 2 bedroom units.

The only cool thing about those apartments is they had the GE version of Jenn-Air stoves - where you could swap the burners for a griddle, a grill, etc, and the vent hoods actually blew outside instead of just recirculating the air (and had true variable speeds). They tore those out and put in normal stoves and normal vent hoods (I'd hope they still exhaust outside though). They had nice appliances for their time, and that grill+stove was loving sweet.

e: found a pic of my old stove there. :laffo:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Dec 23, 2017

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

So if I need to use the bathroom late at night and I'm in the left bedroom, my options are to cut through my roommate's bedroom or walk around the outside of the building? Or maybe just use a chamber pot in the second closet.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You're in SoCal, it's sunny all the time there and California gives juicy incentives for people to install solar. There's your reason.

Sorry, I mean all new houses going up have solar on them standard. Some small 9 panel arrays that barely crack 1kWh.

I’m guessing they get a fat credit for each house that has them and they’re just including them as standard equipment on all new builds in my area now.

I’ve got a 33 panel array on my house :smug:

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

FCKGW posted:

Sorry, I mean all new houses going up have solar on them standard. Some small 9 panel arrays that barely crack 1kWh.

I’m guessing they get a fat credit for each house that has them and they’re just including them as standard equipment on all new builds in my area now.

Is it me, or is there absolutely no consistency which way those panels point?

I guess California is south enough that the sun is more overhead than not, but still...

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Brovine posted:

I guess California is south enough that the sun is more overhead than not, but still...

Looks like they’re all on south roofs where large enough, otherwise on an east/west roof.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Goddamn that looks like a dystopia.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Brovine posted:

The roof lines being so overly complicated could make placing panels in optimal positions hard.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Why does a street with a cul-de-sac have two different names? :psyduck:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ExplodingSims posted:

Why does a street with a cul-de-sac have two different names? :psyduck:

In some places, vertical and horizontal streets are always considered separate, even when there are no other intersecting streets.

e: Vertical and horizontal definitely aren't the correct words but you know what I mean.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Facebook Aunt posted:

Later on he mentions it is in the basement. So, yeah, he's renting the utility room. lol

In another comment he says the utility room used to be upstairs. The landlady moved it so she could use that room as a hair salon.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

MH Knights posted:

The roof lines being so overly complicated could make placing panels in optimal positions hard.

...Kill...Me...

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Is there a DIY thread for small projects/questions? I need to set up a punching bag of the sort that hangs from the ceiling but have no idea how to go about doing it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

~Coxy posted:

...Kill...Me...

At least tell me that this is in the southern hemisphere.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

Is there a DIY thread for small projects/questions? I need to set up a punching bag of the sort that hangs from the ceiling but have no idea how to go about doing it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734407

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

FCKGW posted:

My girlfriend is living out in eastvale/jarupa valley area and it is hell. The house her and her roommates are in is brand new and pretty nice but meh. Also the home owner is basic as gently caress and has sliding barn doors and also live laugh love decorations every where.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

Good Dog posted:

My girlfriend is living out in eastvale/jarupa valley area and it is hell. The house her and her roommates are in is brand new and pretty nice but meh. Also the home owner is basic as gently caress and has sliding barn doors and also live laugh love decorations every where.

The area is a convergence of horrible. Ticky tacky tract homes, horrible traffic, dairy farms are still around so, poop. IE heat and the 15 corridor is also where the Santa Ana winds bast drown from the Cajon Pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

His Divine Shadow posted:

Goddamn that looks like a dystopia.

Hell yeah lets built our upscale, walkable community around an active dairy farm.