Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

cephalopods posted:

"attention all customers: the store closed fifteen minutes ago. please stop shopping and come to the checkout. please. I want to go home"

Jesus, we wouldn’t let it get to that point. We do a closing announcement, then at 2 mins past we go up to every customer and tell them the store is closed, and that they need to go to a checkout. 2 or 3 mins later we basically go up to people and tell them they have 30 seconds to be in a line or security will remove them from the store. I can count on 1 hand the number of times we’ve needed to actually kick people out but we have done it.

Edit: re coffee chat; Camel milk is the new rage in some parts of Australia. The milk is so expensive people end up paying loving $15 for a latte.

I’m pretty fussy about coffee, but I find the trick is to carefully scout out coffee places to find places where they can make it properly, rather than being an unreasonable rear end in a top hat and going to a Starbucks or McDonald’s and expecting a competently made coffee.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
To every 20-something buying a carwash for the first time ever today and not listening to basic instructions, I'm sure the parents you are trying to impress with your clean car are just as disappointed in you as I am in the general state of humanity.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

Just...why

Edit: if you cant see its an eggnog frap with protein powder, a single espresso shot, chocolate chips, chocolate curls, pumpkin topping, candied cranberries, and "light" caramel and mocha drizzle. Oh and holiday spice blend

Pentaghastly fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 23, 2017

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

that's gotta be so thick that if you turned that cup upside down it probably wouldn't even drip

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

cephalopods posted:

that's gotta be so thick that if you turned that cup upside down it probably wouldn't even drip

"Dammit, the Dairy Queen is closed, what'll I do?"

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

VideoTapir posted:

"Dammit, the Dairy Queen is closed, what'll I do?"

Theres a Cookout literally next door. They have like 40 flavors of milkshakes and people come here instead

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Dear people who decide to get something ordered on literally the last day we get a truck until Christmas:

:vd:

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

We received no toys on our truck this morning and I've pulled about 75% of what we had left in the back. It's gonna be a long day for the people in toys explaining we have gently caress all for stock.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I am always amazed by people who are shopping tomorrow.

Hm, I never did sell that Fingerling I got for a gag gift. Maybe tomorrow is the day to put it in craigslist.

Rhythmancer
Jun 5, 2004
Mr. Saturn
So instead of our truck coming Monday, since Monday is Christmas, they pushed it back to today, which also happens to be the busiest day of the year for us. That means instead of going home after close, after a day which promises to be utterly exhausting (also day 5 of 6), I will spend an extra couple hours working down the pallets before turning around and going in to open the store tomorrow AM. Yaaay no sleep.

My own fault, really. I requested an opening shift so I could actually spend time with my family on Christmas Eve and not get out so late as to not get to see my young niece and nephew. You see, my company put out its "recommended hours" for Xmas eve which put close at... our normal Sunday closing time. Well past the time any sane person would be out shopping for their goddamn pets, and surely the last store in the building to be open by several hours. Some other store in our district shot up an email to the DM to ask for earlier hours, which was forwarded to the VPRO. The reply came back to the entire district: Nope. "We will stick to the recommended hours." And you know that motherfucker is taking the day off.

Anyway, best of luck to all you out there who have to deal with the "I can't believe they're making you work today" crowd. Only a few more days until we won't have to hear "Last Christmas" again for another 10 months.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

"Hey grim, we need someone to help cover electronics for a lunch, do you mind?"

"Sure!" I said, excitedly forgetting what day it is.

Manager walks with me to electronics, pulls all 4 cashiers that were there to help and sends all 4 electronics associates to lunch at the same time.

"Thanks, I know you can handle it!" She says as the hordes of zombies begin to gnaw and tear at my very soul.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Today a man came in complaining about the fuel price. That's normal, except he got really personal and nasty about it. Had I been more charitable, I may have assisted him in saving money in this regard such as:

a) not driving a V8
b) doing a u-turn and saving 15c/L across the road
c) not being a prick to the only person who can shave a few cents off your fuel
d) not driving like a raging idiot out of the forecourt.

also [TELL] me your best one line response to pricks answering whether they want a bag with a bunch of misogynistic horseshit.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Abusing our service bell is a good way to make you lose out on saving money. If I'm 3 feet away from the service bell on the sales floor, ask me for assistance, don't bash the button and make my cutters stop what they're doing to come out for a 2 second question.

When the two women bashed the buzzer, I immediately responded to them and showed them where our rib roasts are. Three minutes later, they walked back to the buzzer and bashed it again (with me 3 feet away still), and made our cutter come out. They exchanged some words and went back to our rib roasts. Another 2 minutes passed and they mashed the buzzer again with me being right there. I responded to them, and they requested me to cut a 10 lb boneless ribeye roast.

Now for those not in the know, during Christmas time, Bone-In Ribeye Roasts go on sale for very cheap. What we do is cut the bone off (it's a beef back rib) and tie it back on to the roast so the customers can easily take it off after cooking it. These obnoxious customers wanted a 10lb boneless ribeye roast, which is $4/lb. more expensive. Normally I'd point that I can give them a 11 lb bone-in roast, cut the back rib off and give them both of pieces for $30 cheaper than just a boneless roast. But nope, they were shits about our service bell, so I didn't hook them up.

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Guess who's closing on Christmas Eve? Dis motherfucker right here.

Can't wait for all our customers to tell me I shouldn't be working.

"Our CEO put a hit out on all of our families around Thanksgiving, so we have nowhere to go anyway! :v:"

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Zenithe posted:

To every 20-something buying a carwash for the first time ever today and not listening to basic instructions, I'm sure the parents you are trying to impress with your clean car are just as disappointed in you as I am in the general state of humanity.

Can you elaborate? What instructions?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Rolo posted:

Instructions unclear; got dick stuck in ceiling fan.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Rolo posted:

Have you used it before, what type of car are you driving, fold back your mirrors and take off your antenna, turn off the car while in the carwash.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Zenithe posted:

turn off the car while in the carwash.

Uh, just put it in neutral, you don't have to turn it off.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Volmarias posted:

Uh, just put it in neutral, you don't have to turn it off.

It can fault if it detects movement from the car vibrating, and people have been keeping the car and their air con on. And it's really goddamn annoying to have to sprint and reset it because someone didn't read the instructions.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Guess who doesn't have to work today, tomorrow, OR Tuesday?

I'm SO glad.

Like, wow.

This holiday season has been incredibly easy in comparison to the last 7 years. No more days full of terrible holiday music! No more nights full of "what time are you open til?"

Last night 2 people asked me about xmas eve hours. I was sorely tempted to say "Sorry, we're closed!" to punish them for not having looked at the doors, where there are clearly posted holiday hours signs in bright red font.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
I had multiple $200+ rings on nothing but wrapping material today and all I could think was "why"

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SaberToothedPie posted:

I had multiple $200+ rings on nothing but wrapping material today and all I could think was "why"

HENRY OFFENSES:
spend $200+ on wrapping paper
likely carrying a frappucino and cell phone
being a dick to the cashier

PUNISHMENT:
Death by guillotine.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Had the mom of the employee that got arrested come in today an hour before close, brought up a FULL cart, then wanted to pay by putting in the numbers oh her card without the card on her. Found out she was also the one that called the police on him. So thanks for making my job harder on Christmas Eve, bitch.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Anora posted:

wanted to pay by putting in the numbers oh her card without the card on her.

Does this work? We have an option to do it on the POS and I have tried out of curiosity before on slow days but never goes through. There's no store policy on it either way that I'm aware of either, which is weird because there are policies for everything.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Zenithe posted:

Does this work? We have an option to do it on the POS and I have tried out of curiosity before on slow days but never goes through. There's no store policy on it either way that I'm aware of either, which is weird because there are policies for everything.

I know that it is normally fraud when a customer comes in asking to do it. Usually it is used to force an offline transaction with cash advance terminals or to process a card not present transaction. Nether should ever be done ever.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Manual credit card transactions can be processed during some catastrophic IT failure; but you should never just let someone enter details manually - manual transactions should only be completed after you perform the ancient rite of Click-Clack. The ancient texts pertaining to this rite are largely lost; I believe I’m one of only two people in my store who still remember them and have ever had to use them. And I’ve only seen it done once in 13 years.

At my company (one of the major Aussie supermarket chains) we’ve had warning bulletins put out about scammers that can manipulate the pi pad to bring up an error message asking the cashier to authorise a manual transaction - they’ve all been trained to always immediately hit no and call a
Supervisor straight away.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem
Merry Christmas.

Godspeed, Walgreens workers :911:

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I got my first counterfeit $100 the other day!

Guy comes up to my register with bags and tries to buy a Monster. He hands me a $100, even though I saw many smaller bills in his wallet when he opened it. lovely though not unusual since people want to break big bills, especially around this time of year. I then notice that the bill has a really old design, 70s or 80s, but is crisp as hell. The anti counterfeiting tool we get at each register is a pen that checks the ink rather than the paper and as soon as I run it over the bill's black seal it smears and eventually wipes off completely. I hand the bill back (are merchants allowed to confiscate fake money in the US? Either way it's not policy that we do.) and he awkwardly walks out. I really wish I'd been able to look it over longer as I'd never come across a fake before.

Also in retrospect I should have asked to see his receipt for the bags he had.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
This is my thanks to 7-11 and Walgreens employees non-exclusively for being open in the dead of christmas morning when i needed caffiene and snacks.

in or ex. iunno. im tired.

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Dec 25, 2017

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

This is my thanks to 7-11 and Walgreens employees non-inclusively for being open in the dead of christmas morning when i needed caffiene and snacks.

I've worked some horrible jobs in my life, like being an exterminator crawling through attics looking for spiders and poo poo, but with no exaggeration I can say that opening Christmas day last year for Walgreens was the worst work experience of my entire life.

Apparently the entire city and county of Denver ran out of butter at the same time and, lo and behold, we ran out 17 minutes after we opened.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Sankis posted:

I got my first counterfeit $100 the other day!

Guy comes up to my register with bags and tries to buy a Monster. He hands me a $100, even though I saw many smaller bills in his wallet when he opened it. lovely though not unusual since people want to break big bills, especially around this time of year. I then notice that the bill has a really old design, 70s or 80s, but is crisp as hell. The anti counterfeiting tool we get at each register is a pen that checks the ink rather than the paper and as soon as I run it over the bill's black seal it smears and eventually wipes off completely. I hand the bill back (are merchants allowed to confiscate fake money in the US? Either way it's not policy that we do.) and he awkwardly walks out. I really wish I'd been able to look it over longer as I'd never come across a fake before.

Also in retrospect I should have asked to see his receipt for the bags he had.

My favorite fakes were still the 5 free cartons of Marlboro!!! coupons people were printing off of the internet and trying to cash in

Go big or go home, I guess

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Imagine someone trying that here in Aus. at $30 a pack. Why yes, this coupon for $1200 of smokes is totally legitimate.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
My favorite fakes are coupon codes from random
sites like boomdaddydeals dot com or whatever. When I refuse, I get the usual “so you won’t honor your coupon???”

Yes, I honor OUR coupons. The ones you get from an @ourstore.com email address or from our website. Not some website we have nothing to do with.

Also our POS system doesn’t accept coupon codes of any kind. Has to be scannable.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

The biggest tipoff for fake bills, at least for me, is that they have no texture to them.

We got a fake $50 back in the day and it was smooth as hell. It had none of the cloth feel that real US bills have.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Anora posted:

Had the mom of the employee that got arrested come in today an hour before close, brought up a FULL cart, then wanted to pay by putting in the numbers oh her card without the card on her. Found out she was also the one that called the police on him. So thanks for making my job harder on Christmas Eve, bitch.

My Mom is the lady who orders a middle grade 2 bone prime rib @ $25 and gets very annoyed when they've all sold out when she goes to pick it up on Christmas Eve and tries to get the meat counter guy to give her the $70 Top Prime Bone In Prime Rib for the same price "because that's totally unacceptable you sold the cut of meat I ordered three days ago". :shepicide:

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

MC Hawking posted:

My Mom is the lady who orders a middle grade 2 bone prime rib @ $25 and gets very annoyed when they've all sold out when she goes to pick it up on Christmas Eve and tries to get the meat counter guy to give her the $70 Top Prime Bone In Prime Rib for the same price "because that's totally unacceptable you sold the cut of meat I ordered three days ago". :shepicide:

If she had an order and they sold it before her pickup then yes I would give her the more expensive for the same price. I've done this before when it's happened. We're still making money just not the 40% margin we normally have.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Christmas Eve was less of a disaster than I thought it would be, although one thing stuck out at me. Two things, actually.

The first was that a SURPRISING amount of people waited until Christmas Eve to buy their egg nog.

The second was that we only ordered one case of ( refrigerated ) egg nog.

Do you see. The problem?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Christmas Eve was less of a disaster than I thought it would be, although one thing stuck out at me. Two things, actually.

The first was that a SURPRISING amount of people waited until Christmas Eve to buy their egg nog.

The second was that we only ordered one case of ( refrigerated ) egg nog.

Do you see. The problem?

Well of course you have to wait until christmas eve to buy eggnog, you need the freshest stuff available!

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

We had a guy complain yesterday because he had 40 people to feed and wanted baby back ribs and 1) he never ordered them and 2) who carries a lot of baby backs during Christmas and winter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
My Christmas here was pretty good overall. The worst aspect was working over 50 hours last week due to two corporate walks.

Biggest goof was my assistant not ordering enough chorizo. That was the customers' biggest complaint.