Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

chernobyl kinsman posted:

What are some books that are literally too dangerous to handle? I'm thinking of things along the lines of the U of Michigan's Shadows from the Walls of Death, which consists of 86 pages of arsenic-soaked wallpaper samples, or Marie Curie's still-radioactive journals.

I wouldn't want to be seen in public reading _Babyfucker_ by Urs Alleman. Especially not, like, near a school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I had to read Faggots by Larry Kramer with a book cover on because the cover was the title in big bold red lettering

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I've always assumed that getting a copy of The Turner Diaries will get you put on a watchlist.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Those are all dangerous only because of what people will infer about you based on the title or contents, though, which is a difference-in-kind from books that will literally kill you if read without protective gear.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

ToxicFrog posted:

Those are all dangerous only because of what people will infer about you based on the title or contents, though, which is a difference-in-kind from books that will literally kill you if read without protective gear.

yeah I can only think of two examples of literally deadly books irl. there have to be more

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Does Atlas Shrugged count?

Also, any Paula Deen cookbook

Edit: the 1953 limited edition of Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 was bound in asbestos.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 25, 2017

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Edit: the 1953 limited edition of Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 was bound in asbestos.

That's not really dangerous unless you take a hammer to it or otherwise damage the asbestos.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
There's also the new edition of Fahrenheit 451 that can only be read by putting fire to the paper.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
While in college, I worked at the library, in the Fine Arts department. We shared the floor with the Health department.

Our floor's bathroom shared books from both departments, that were recovered from the bathroom stalls. People liked jerking off to the fine arts (nude photography), and using the health books to ID whatever latest STD they had picked up.

Those books were probably too dangerous to handle. Thankfully, students workers never had to deal with those books directly. Although who knows how many books I handled where a patron had taken it to the bathroom, and then left it outside of the bathroom for us to pick up.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

What does this forum think of Barbara Tuchman? I got Guns of August as a Christmas gift amongst other things and I want to hear what goons think of it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

StrixNebulosa posted:

What does this forum think of Barbara Tuchman? I got Guns of August as a Christmas gift amongst other things and I want to hear what goons think of it.

We did that as a book of the month a few years ago, so check those threads.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

We did that as a book of the month a few years ago, so check those threads.

Thanks!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

"This thread is marked for archival and cannot be modified."

... I have archives and I can't see it.... :sigh:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
There's a situationist joke where they bind a book in sand paper so it ruins the books next to it on the shelf, and if you dropped Jerusalem you could probably break a toe.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
And of course all ebooks are destroying the planet, as are regular books, in a different way.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

StrixNebulosa posted:

"This thread is marked for archival and cannot be modified."

... I have archives and I can't see it.... :sigh:

Are you using the phone app? Try a desktop browser.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Are you using the phone app? Try a desktop browser.

I'm using chrome on a laptop, it should work. :(

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

I once got yelled at by a mod for recommending Tuchman’s A Distant Mirror as an overview of medieval life since it was about a rich white dude. Me insisting that we don’t really have many sources about how poor women of color lived in the Middle Ages to write books from didn’t go down that well either. Thanks for reading my story about a Dutch Marxist moderator of the Something Awful forums.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Update: using the archives to go back to the forum in 2014 worked and I'm reading the thread now.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

I once got yelled at by a mod for recommending Tuchman’s A Distant Mirror as an overview of medieval life since it was about a rich white dude. Me insisting that we don’t really have many sources about how poor women of color lived in the Middle Ages to write books from didn’t go down that well either. Thanks for reading my story about a Dutch Marxist moderator of the Something Awful forums.

I'm not quite sure how to take this, because H. Alloy is the only mod in The Book Barn and they're a cool person.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Fun Guns of August fact:

Guns of August was a guideline for Kennedy on how to handle the Cuban Missile Crisis

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm not quite sure how to take this, because H. Alloy is the only mod in The Book Barn and they're a cool person.

It was a long time ago, the mod was a dude who used to mod GBS I think. He later got doxed and his nudes were posted in Helldump. I can’t remember his name.

And yes, H Alloy is a chill person.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
That's Mccaine. Posted a ton back when LF was still around.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

cloudchamber posted:

That's Mccaine. Posted a ton back when LF was still around.

Yes, thank you!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I'm not Dutch

Edit: d'aww thanks folks

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 27, 2017

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ask the military history thread in A/T.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
re: Tuchman: A Distant Mirror isn't very good. i mean it's a good read, but the scholarship isn't very good. i don't know anything about the state of first world war historiography, but a quick glance at wikipedia indicates that at least a few scholars have criticized Guns (which isn't terribly surprising, as it's over fifty years old by now). still, it's a good book and an important one in terms of 20th century culture and historiography and unless you really want to get into the scholarly weeds i dont think it's going to lead you astray on much.

read The Guns of August is what i'm saying. dont read A Distant Mirror

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
I wouldn't rate Guns of August either. She basically ignores the Balkans when talking about the origins of the conflict even though recent historians, like Christopher Clarke, have put it at the centre of books on the outbreak of war.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

:awesome:
now thats what I call immersion, thanks thriftbooks

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

hey, I'd like to do an Let's Read of the book "The Legend Of The 10 Elemental Masters".

i'm wondering though if audio-only readthroughs are welcome here, or if i'd need to also transcribe everything for such a reading.

thanks!

crime weed fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 3, 2018

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I have an IPAD but it is old and whenever I am on it I end up getting distracted by skype or go on the internet.

I loved reading real books but my room is literally full of books and I don't have any more space left.

Eh guys what is a good kindle reader for a beginner of electronic readers? I see there are many different versions and they cost wildly different.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ulio posted:

I have an IPAD but it is old and whenever I am on it I end up getting distracted by skype or go on the internet.

I loved reading real books but my room is literally full of books and I don't have any more space left.

Eh guys what is a good kindle reader for a beginner of electronic readers? I see there are many different versions and they cost wildly different.

The Paperwhite is the best bang for your buck.

The Voyage has some neat additional features, but you'll have to decide if they're worth the premium.

The Oasis looks loving stupid and costs too much, but maybe that's your thing, I dunno.

Buy a Paperwhite is what I'm saying.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ornamented Death posted:

The Paperwhite is the best bang for your buck.

The Voyage has some neat additional features, but you'll have to decide if they're worth the premium.

The Oasis looks loving stupid and costs too much, but maybe that's your thing, I dunno.

Buy a Paperwhite is what I'm saying.

Ya thanks I saw the comparision chart on Amazon and seems like your right. Kindle Paperweight seems the most standard version. Is the regular Kindle just bad? It shows it has worse resolution and no built in light/led.

Also is Amazon Prime worth it? It says you have a thousand free books monthly if you get it are those good books generally speaking? I might get Prime anyway because the video service has some shows I want so this would kill two birds with 1 stone.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Ulio posted:

Ya thanks I saw the comparision chart on Amazon and seems like your right. Kindle Paperweight seems the most standard version. Is the regular Kindle just bad? It shows it has worse resolution and no built in light/led.

Also is Amazon Prime worth it? It says you have a thousand free books monthly if you get it are those good books generally speaking? I might get Prime anyway because the video service has some shows I want so this would kill two birds with 1 stone.

The inbuilt light is worth the price difference

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Regular Kindle is perfectly fine if you really want an e-reader but are on a tight budget. However, I lost my vanilla Kinle a couple years ago and replaced it with a Paperwhite and it is a noticeable improvement for not that much more money. Highly recommend the Paperwhite.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Alright I will get the paperweight. Is prime worth taking if you are only taking it for kindle and not videos?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
No not really, unless you have a free trial to get the device quicker, they have a seperate kindle unlimited that in theory gives you free access to a huge chunk of their books, however in reality those books are the ones that cost £1 each and unless you read 8 of them a month it’s not worth it.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

It's cheap romance/thriller/paranormal bargain bin type stuff for the most part.

Don't forget to check your library's ebook catalogue when you get it as you can easily check out a lot of books online

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Does the paperwhite have buttons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
No, sadly not. I have the voyage and it has buttons, but kind of odd touch screen ones you lightly press and then it vibrates. The oasis is the one with proper physical buttons.