Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I carry my OMD, 17, 45, 12-50, three batteries, and some cards and cables in a Domke F-5XB RuggedWear Shoulder and Belt Bag and have no regrets.

Have any of you Oly shooters tried the 12-100?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

thanks for the input everyone. The Hadleys are probably a little out of my price range at £200! Was aiming more for £50-70, so am leaning towards this:

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I like Domke’s F-5X line for mirrorless setups. I have the B (which is already pretty compact) for carrying around my X-T2 with a couple of lenses, and the A is a bit smaller. I find that sticking a piece of Velcro on the flap so it doesn’t make as much noise is a big improvement.

but I've heard complaints about the wax coating leaving hands oily?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I have a Crumpler bag that they call the 5 Million Dollar Home. It is not too big but big enough r carry all of my Fuji gear in. It has held up very well over time and they have both smaller and larger versions of the bag too.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I returned my second x-t2 kit for a decentered 18-55mm lens. The second was even worse than the first. In fact, seeing how badly smeared the left side of the second sample was made me wish I'd never returned the first... it was just a little less sharp on one side (as seen in the pics posted on the last page).

Guess I won't be using the big box retailer to buy expensive camera gear anymore when I've a got a real camera store nearby that will let me try stuff out before buying.

Considering that a light(er than medium format film) camera with a decently light zoom is my goal, I'd almost consider something like an 80D, but the 4K video from the X-T2 is so good, I'll probably end up just having to bug the people at the camera store and try out Fuji 18-55s until I get one that decent enough.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Lady Gaza posted:

Never encountered this.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Lady Gaza posted:

Camera bag recommendations? Looking for something to hold my X-T20 + 18-55mm, Samyang 12mm, lens hoods, my mini tripod (Manfrotto PIXI), memory cards and spare battery. The more compact/low-profile and lightweight the better - am not a fan of bulky messenger style bags and too much weight on one shoulder can cause my back to ache. Most of the bags I've seen are too bulky or 'professional' looking (e.g. the big padded lowepro cases) for my tastes; I'd be using this while travelling so don't to lug something like that around. The Thinktank Mirrorless Mover 20 caught my eye (https://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/mirrorless-mover-20).

Retrospectives. Look at the various retrospectives. I wanted to like the mirrorless more, but ultimately stuck with my retro.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

If you’re looking for really cheap camera bags you can buy inserts and just use whatever bags you have lying around.

I have a Tenba that fits my xt2 w the 35mm (which is my daily carry), a slightly larger Tenba that also has room for an additional lens, and some drawstring Ape Case for my whole kit of lenses when I’m traveling. All fit inside backpacks/purses/rollerbags/etc.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I have a Chrome Niko Backpack, it fits 2x gripped x-t2's, 50-140mm, 16-55mm, x100f, laptop, charger, and a ton of other bits and accessories.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Buy the billingham and you won't end up buying any other bags because it's just so good.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Wild EEPROM posted:

Buy the billingham and you won't end up buying any other bags because it's just so good.

Same. It’s my work bag when it isn’t carrying my camera. I get complimented on it all the time.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lady Gaza posted:

thanks for the input everyone. The Hadleys are probably a little out of my price range at £200! Was aiming more for £50-70, so am leaning towards this:

speedgraphic.co.uk has the Think tank Retrospective 6 for £79, but not sure if that’d be too large for you. Definitely less blingy than a Billingham.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Spent 9 days in Sudan with my X-T20 w/18-55 and I am completely in love with it. I had a D7000 last time I was there and just the difference in size/weight was worth it but the shots I got were absolutely gorgeous. Few things I noticed:

* Carry lots of spare batteries - It didn't take long to get used to using the screen but it drains the batteries really fast as the indicator placement isn't the best so I didn't really notice when it was near death. Video murders the battery. I'm glad I bought two on a wim before I left.
* Protect the screen - I got a couple light scratches from the elements.
* I really hate the infinite rings on the lens. The focus ring just keeps spinning so I don't have a strong feel for where it is (so I have to rely on the screen and for some reason I didn't notice the visual focus meter display until now).
* Read the manual, specifically the section on shooting - I felt really limited when I first tried using it so I sat down and read the entire section on shooting to learn how to use the various modes (aperture/shutter/manual/etc) and am glad I did as I took full advantage of the features the entire time.
* Wireless is awesome but the app sucks - Previously I had to pull my memory card on my D7000 then copy to my tablet with a really janky process before I could post it anywhere. Now I can copy straight from my camera and post with some quick edits. My grievance is that the app itself is really poorly designed. Always choose to browse photos when you want to copy as doing it from the camera is kind of annoying. Also don't support copying RAW but you can quickly create a JPEG on the camera which is nice.

I'm definitely on the market for a wide angle lens now as I had attempted a milky way panorama over a village and it wasn't easy to do.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Ashex posted:

Spent 9 days in Sudan with my X-T20 w/18-55 and I am completely in love with it. I had a D7000 last time I was there and just the difference in size/weight was worth it but the shots I got were absolutely gorgeous. Few things I noticed:

* Carry lots of spare batteries - It didn't take long to get used to using the screen but it drains the batteries really fast as the indicator placement isn't the best so I didn't really notice when it was near death. Video murders the battery. I'm glad I bought two on a wim before I left.
* Protect the screen - I got a couple light scratches from the elements.
* I really hate the infinite rings on the lens. The focus ring just keeps spinning so I don't have a strong feel for where it is (so I have to rely on the screen and for some reason I didn't notice the visual focus meter display until now).
* Read the manual, specifically the section on shooting - I felt really limited when I first tried using it so I sat down and read the entire section on shooting to learn how to use the various modes (aperture/shutter/manual/etc) and am glad I did as I took full advantage of the features the entire time.
* Wireless is awesome but the app sucks - Previously I had to pull my memory card on my D7000 then copy to my tablet with a really janky process before I could post it anywhere. Now I can copy straight from my camera and post with some quick edits. My grievance is that the app itself is really poorly designed. Always choose to browse photos when you want to copy as doing it from the camera is kind of annoying. Also don't support copying RAW but you can quickly create a JPEG on the camera which is nice.

I'm definitely on the market for a wide angle lens now as I had attempted a milky way panorama over a village and it wasn't easy to do.

The 16mm f/1.4 has a focus ring with infinity stops but I hear it's not great for astro, the 14mm f/2.8 and 23mm f/2.8 also have clutch type focus rings.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
No first hand experience but AFAIK for Fuji recommended astro lenses are Rokinon/Samyang manual primes. Fuji ones are great but have issues specific to astro photography.

https://www.lonelyspeck.com/lonely-specks-ultimate-list-of-best-astrophotography-lenses/

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
Yeah the Rokinon 12mm f/2 is cheap and good. Note that Rokinon lenses have not so great infinity focus markings and are manual focus only. I can do manual focus on a wide angle at all my eyes are poo poo, which is why I replaced mine with a 10-24mm f/4.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The 10-24 isnt great either though because its f/4

E: specifically for astro

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I have the Samyang/Rokinon 12mm, I haven't used it for astrophotography yet but the focus ring stops at infinity which is great for landscapes.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

What about the Zeiss Touit 12/2? I've heard mixed things about them for general use but surely the Zeiss quality would mean well-controlled coma and provision for acquiring infinity focus without having to use the EVF...?

Here's my final update on decentered 18-55 Fuji kit lenses that I'm sure everyone has been waiting for. But seriously, I think it's worth sharing because yes, you can end up paying hundreds of dollars for lenses that have optical flaws, and you're basically not getting what you pay for. I returned two X-T2 kits before finally getting one that had acceptable (not perfect) balance of sharpness across the frame. The third (and finally decent) kit came from a different retailer than the first two - a local camera shop. I have no idea if there's any difference in the stock that they get, but the inside of the box from the local shop was cleaner. I don't know what that means, but it was odd that the first two boxes had some debris inside...

The third lens:

The second lens. It's not the same scene, but it's comparable. Check out the difference between the left-hand crops of each image.

In all three tested lenses, there was some loss of apparent sharpness when comparing the outer-left side of the image to the right. No idea if earlier-run copies of this lens had better centering, but it seems like a common characteristic of these lenses at this time.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
I've wanted to check out Fuji system for some time now and found X-E2 body for cheap, my 18-55 is still in the mail and these stories fill me with dread :ohdear:

Esp since my new XF 27mm has bunch of dust inside and has so stiff focus ring it's almost unusable. It's going back next week.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Here's my experience with kit lenses:

Canon 18-55 IS II - One copy ok; one copy soft on the side

Olympus 14-42 R MSC something something - One copy soft on one side.

Panasonic 14-42 ASPH O.I.S. Type-R 420 69 - One copy soft on one side, but better than the Olympus by a significant margin. Usable.

Sony 16-50 E-mount OSS - Pretty much as good as it gets for centering in a kit lens. Untouched RAWs look fine.

Fuji 18-55 R LM OIS - One copy soft on the left; one copy really soft on the left; one copy a little soft on the left, but still more usable than the Panasonic, which itself wasn't as bad as the Oly.

One thing that I noticed with the Fuji is that the in-camera JPEG engine seems to attempt to correct for asymmetrical image softness to a degree. I don't have the image files on-hand but can post an example later, but it does reduce the apparent effect of decentering when using OOC JPEGs.

If you're getting an older 18-55 with the X-E2, you might be better off anyway. Take it with a grain of salt, but the guy at my local store said that the earlier runs of 18-55 kit lenses were made before Fuji switched its component production for the lenses to a factory in the Philippines, and that the early-run quality control may have been tighter.

E: I noticed a lot of dust in the Fuji 18-55's as well. I will say that I'm used to using very dusty-rear end lenses with my collection on Nikon Ai stuff. It takes a lot of dust to start having noticeable effects on IQ.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 1, 2018

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Any recommendations for a good Nikon F to M43 adapter? I just bought a Nikon 50mm f1.4 AIS for my GH5. I'm cool with cheap dumb adapters as long as it doesn't have a fucky breech lock mechanism, like the one my cheap FD to NEX Fotodiox adapter had.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Big fan of K&F Concept adapters. Cheap but all metal construction and they’ve all fit really nice.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

melon cat posted:

Any recommendations for a good Nikon F to M43 adapter? I just bought a Nikon 50mm f1.4 AIS for my GH5. I'm cool with cheap dumb adapters as long as it doesn't have a fucky breech lock mechanism, like the one my cheap FD to NEX Fotodiox adapter had.

Don't blame Fotodiox for that Canon are the ones that designed that dumb breechlock on the FD lenses.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

polyester concept posted:

Big fan of K&F Concept adapters. Cheap but all metal construction and they’ve all fit really nice.
Alright that works for me. Pulled the trigger. Thanks for the recommendation.

8th-snype posted:

Don't blame Fotodiox for that Canon are the ones that designed that dumb breechlock on the FD lenses.
It was one of my least favourite aspects of the FD mount. It was always a fight to remove the adapters, and YouTube has all sorts of videos with people wrestling with the breechlock mechanism. So yeah screw whoever designed it.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Will the current Fuji sale still be around Saturday? I might be selling a camera on Saturday and have a bit of money to buy something. Don't want to buy it now just in case the craigslist guy falls through.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Hdip posted:

Will the current Fuji sale still be around Saturday? I might be selling a camera on Saturday and have a bit of money to buy something. Don't want to buy it now just in case the craigslist guy falls through.

(In Australia) the cashback runs till the end of january

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Adorama has the XE2s and the 14mm/2.8 for $850

https://www.adorama.com/ifjxe2sbl1.html?sdtid=11129475&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905

That's the best deal I see all year including 2017.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Had to buy a second body as my wife was getting annoyed at how often I was taking the G85. Did a lot of considering and settled on the GX85 for size and functionality reasons. For travel (weather sealing) and video where we want good audio (external mic port) we will still have the G85, but the gx85 gives me a much better sized camera for general use, and I'm finding I really prefer the rangefinder location for the EVF.

This thing with the basic 25 1.7 is fun times.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 6, 2018

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

It's disgusting with the 20mm f/1.7 pancake

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

It's disgusting with the 20mm f/1.7 pancake

I want that compactness but I always hear such mixed reviews about that lens re:autofocus speeds.

Current plan is to get the 15mm 1.7 cause aperture ring fetish.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Nice, you'll have a blast.

And yeah, it's a little slow, but still better than my screw drive lenses on my Nikon so :shrug:

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Yeah the 20/1.7 version 1 on an EM-10 was still fast enough to capture a dozen frames of my friend popping a champagne cork under a streetlight in the late evening and have them all in focus. It doesn't do AF-C on the EM-10 but AF-S is plenty quick. I can only imagine that it's even faster for AF-S (and fine for AF-C) on a native Panasonic body.

Uhh... speaking of lenses, does anyone have any tips for cleaning the very narrow metal knurling on Fuji lenses? My 18-55 is getting a lot of dust down into the grooves of the zoom and focus grips. Microfiber cloths and q-tips don't seem to be very efficient or effective.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
That Gh5s looks super interesting. The sample footage they showed during the TCS stream looked really good.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Yeah, I wish I knew more about video to really understand all of it, but it's nice to see Panasonic seeming to push the boundaries of the m43 sensor size as hard as they can.

Unrelated to the gh5s, I'm about to pull the trigger on a Leica 15mm f1.7 for my gx85. Got a new baby and the 25mm is making it a bit hard to get photos in certain situations and I imagine that is just gonna get worse as she becomes a toddler? Hoping the 15mm (30mm equiv) is wide enough of an angle to get good kid shots. Any opinions on the lens?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Popelmon posted:

That Gh5s looks super interesting. The sample footage they showed during the TCS stream looked really good.
Definitely. But my biggest issue with it is the lack of IBIS (the GH5's IBIS is amazing). And the lower MP sensor makes it a video mirrorless camera, which is unlike the "hybrid" GH5 which can does both stills and video.

Or maybe I'm just trying to convince myself that my recent GH5 is good enough for me. Yeah. Probably that.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Yeah the whole IBIS thng was that they expect the GH5s to be mounted in rigs that have their own stabilization whereas the GH5 is less hyper-specialized as a video camera.

Now the GH5 is the hybrid between the stills focused g9 and the video focused gh5s

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey all, wondering for some advice:

Our company wants to spend about $4k on a mirrorless camera for video. This includes the body, a lens, and a gimball and tripod.

Do you guys have a reccomendation that all goes well together? I'm thinking the GH5.

Thanjks all

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

GH5 is probably your best bet with that budget, but I suppose it might help to know a bit more about the type of thing you'd be shooting/lighting conditions/etc

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh derp my bad forgot that part.

We'd be filming locomotives, out in natural sunlight, and then filming maybe short interviews inside. I'd be willing to drop the tripod in favor of lighting. Also forgot to add we need a microphone, but those seem relatively easy to pick out (Rode?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
New to photography, looking for a mirrorless setup plan. Priorities are 1) casual travel and family pictures, landscapes, etc and 2) macro pictures. After reading a lot of the thread, it seems like the G85 and O-MD 10 are both pretty highly recommended as solid cameras for beginners/filthy casuals. As a glasses wearer with deeply recessed eyes, I'm wondering if actually using the EVF on these cameras is a good plan. Is it possible to get away with taking most/all of your pictures with the LCD? To that effect, would the smaller GX85 be the better choice then? It doesn't need to be pocket size small, but I want to be able to carry the camera and a versatile lens without needing a dedicated bag when traveling.

I'd like to be able to get a setup for around 1k with an all purpose prime and a macro capable lens, although that budget is flexible. The 4/3's family seems like an affordable and versatile group compared to Sony or Fuji, but maybe I'm reading too much into it.

cheese fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 12, 2018