Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Instant buy. Tha ts awesome. Got a link to the dice you are using? I'll check size when I get it. Probably will fit a spindown.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Kiranamos posted:

After you get your $80 Broken Token insert, what's the next best upgrade for Gloomhaven? 3D printed monster standees, of course.

Got mine in yesterday:

This poo poo is amazing. Not pictured - the back has a divet to place status tokens. No more back and forth on character sheets to see who is close to death, etc. They comfortably fit two 12mm dice (the smaller size) and barely don't fit a regular 16mm. I tried to find 12mm with numbers instead of pips, but it seems impossible to find. We weren't sure it would fit two dice, so we have a set of black ones as well - we'll probably try out a one die version where the black will track 6+, and then when it gets to 6 or below, replace with a red one.

I ordered the set from https://www.treatstock.com/3d-printable-models/20916-gh-bases-large-kit - it has 24 regular, 12 elite, and 3 boss. I used the "Modern Blacksmith 3D Design" printer in Spring TX, in case anyone wants the exact duplicate as some companies will vary in colors. I saw a BGG user whose gold stands were more like brown.

Here's a pic of the completed set:

Dang, I got last paged. Anyway I just use standard 12mm Chessex dice

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011WMAFO/ - red translucent
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CKQSE46/ - black/smoke translucent

I have a couple sets of regular dice and nothing really fits well. The D12 spindown would be ideal, and it does sorta fit, but the problem is that it slides too easily off the stand with even just a bit of movement. The small dice fit within the borders so that they don't come out when picking up and moving monsters. The stands are quite light and probably would be better if they had a bit more weight to them. Thinking about either sanding the bottom or adding some rubber for more grip on the board.

Also - total print cost with shipping was around $28, so I wouldn't pay a printer more than that.

Kiranamos fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 29, 2017

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger too. It looks like they fit two small Chessex d6s?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Thanks for dice info. I ordered shipped for 25. From Tampa Florida. To Washington state. So some ymmv with prices there...

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

I ordered shipped for 25. From Tampa Florida. To Washington state.

:same:

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Countblanc posted:

Are there any classes you unlock from things that aren't the personal goal cards, other than the two tied to party rep? So like from doing scenarios I guess. A simple yes/no is fine. I'm mostly wondering because I just found out that our 4-person group will be unlocking a whopping two classes from our personal goals because we forgot to check for redundancies when choosing ours.

yes, rarely

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I just got an email through Treatstock that the company I went with has the bases preprinted and they're shipping tomorrow!!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

I just got an email through Treatstock that the company I went with has the bases preprinted and they're shipping tomorrow!!

:same: WA buddy

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
What's the soonest I can start running into vermlings?

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Frush posted:

What's the soonest I can start running into vermlings?

Scenario number 9 or choosing the scenario named Lost Island when given the option early on

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
One of my favorite games of the last year. I love my mindthief and making the bad guys beat up on each other!

Also, the whole life goals aspect is super well done.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

My wife and I just retired triforce and sun together, and unlocked gritty helmet face and lightning bolt and holy crap these classes are going to be a trip. So wildly different.

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah
Looking for a non-spoilery answer on this: can you lock yourself out of enhancements via the quests that you do/choices you take?

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
I don't think so. If you want to check, someone did a flowchart of what scenarios lead to which using only the scenario numbers so you can check.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/143772/scenario-flowchart

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I just looked.

No.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Are the rune messages something we're meant to decode on our own, or is the translation key an unlock at some point?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Are the rune messages something we're meant to decode on our own, or is the translation key an unlock at some point?

I thought the alphabet was included in the box on a sheet.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

What happens if a character grabs a unique item and that player doesn't show up for a future session? Does that item go away, do we have to buy it from the shop or can we just quietly take it from him/her?

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!

Some Numbers posted:

What happens if a character grabs a unique item and that player doesn't show up for a future session? Does that item go away, do we have to buy it from the shop or can we just quietly take it from him/her?

If you're cutting that character then the item goes back to the shop.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

ChiTownEddie posted:

I thought the alphabet was included in the box on a sheet.

I got one of the retail copies from the first wave, so I don't have it. Thanks!

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

The Lord of Hats posted:

You can do it yourself. The decoder was a special exclusive not required for the game.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
We are finally re-trying Scenario 1 tomorrow. I'm cautiously optimistic!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

If you are using them again it stays with them. If they retire or you kill them off. It goes to store.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Now that we have two kill abilities in our party, it might be time to go to hard difficulty. We have tools for basically every situation at this point. Hurry up and retire already!

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
Question: people have talked about replacement game pieces but what about the box? Is that something Cephalofair will replace?

My box is literally coming apart at some of the seams with all this content.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I suggest duct tape

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Packing tape worked for me, and is available in clear so less ugly. But all that happened to mine was one corner splitting, so your results may vary.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

We are finally re-trying Scenario 1 tomorrow. I'm cautiously optimistic!

Good luck!

We managed (barely) on our first try, but from what I recall I'd suggest two things, spoilered just in case since I don't know how far you got. Don't burn out early on this one, and go over the monster rules for movement. Particularly archers.

Also, a non-spoiler general item; the other day we discovered that we were doing monster movements wrong for ranged attacks. We were moving them as far away as possible, when you should be moving them at little as possible to optimize the attack. Made ranged enemies such a pain.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Well that was just night and day. We crushed Scenario 1 this time. We ended up toying with the last remaining enemy because we were still flush with cards and health, and wanted to loot. I got my battle goal, and oodles of both gold and XP.

The differences?

1. We knew our capabilities and how dangerous enemies are. Duh.
2. Both the Tinkerer and I (Cragheart) swapped out two 1's for X's.
3. The Scoundrel didn't suck balls. He didn't try to tank off the bat but instead took a fair share of damage.
4. The Tinkerer was a lot more offensive and less heal-heavy.
5. I made much better decisions about targeting and did a better mix of auto-damage and attacking.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Just played for the first time - it took us two cracks at the first scenario to succeed in which we learned the fundamental rule. Don't play loss cards early. And my second rule - if you're going down loot everything you can including the treasure chest. This is one extremely well balanced game.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Frush posted:

Also, a non-spoiler general item; the other day we discovered that we were doing monster movements wrong for ranged attacks. We were moving them as far away as possible, when you should be moving them at little as possible to optimize the attack. Made ranged enemies such a pain.

Sigh, one of the guys im playing with swore that the rule was to move archers back no matter what until they were at the edge of their range on their focus. I didn't quite agree but it was our first game so we played it that way. Archers were totally poo poo to kill and we ended up kiting some through a door to be within range for the melee guys.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If people want to brush up on their monster movement knowledge someone put together a quiz with some esoteric situations. I definitely got a couple wrong I wasn't expecting, I'm making all the other players in my group do this before our next session.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/234575/gloomhaven-rules-quiz

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

That would make archers have a movement tax to catch them that I'm sure would kill your hand.

The move until they can shoot without disadvantage. That's usually one space away for you.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Countblanc posted:

If people want to brush up on their monster movement knowledge someone put together a quiz with some esoteric situations. I definitely got a couple wrong I wasn't expecting, I'm making all the other players in my group do this before our next session.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/234575/gloomhaven-rules-quiz

I'm never going to get into Gloomhaven U with test scores like these!

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I've got a question for the thread that can hopefully be answered without spoilers.

My GF and I started a campaign with two of our friends this past Friday night. We beat the first scenario and from the treasure chest got the windswept highlands scenario. We had so much fun, that the next night we invited two of our other friends over to play (they used the two charcters we didn't use Friday) and completed the windswept highlands. My question is, right now, we only have one scenario available to us at the moment. How far into the game will we need to get before we have a lot of options that could maybe support our setup of swapping out two of our friends on a regular basis?

Also, because I'm an idiot and read the rules a month ago and merely skimmed them while sick as a refresher this week, we discovered on night number 2 that we weren't using the correct battle decks. We were all using the packs that came in the tuck-boxes, which are actually all the upgrade cards.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Big McHuge posted:

My question is, right now, we only have one scenario available to us at the moment. How far into the game will we need to get before we have a lot of options that could maybe support our setup of swapping out two of our friends on a regular basis?
Do you mean more scenarios or more character classes? You unlock more scenarios as you finish earlier ones (scenario 2 unlocks two more, for example) and from City events. New classes unlock as you retire earlier characters, which take quite a while.

If you mean "can we play one scenario with these four and the next scenario with a different four" the answer is simply "yes."

quote:

Also, because I'm an idiot and read the rules a month ago and merely skimmed them while sick as a refresher this week, we discovered on night number 2 that we weren't using the correct battle decks. We were all using the packs that came in the tuck-boxes, which are actually all the upgrade cards.
You must have had a pretty easy couple of scenarios then.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

According to that monster AI quiz, it's a bit alarming how many hundreds of people are missing even the simple questions. The hard ones are almost purely hypothetical but the first half or so have extremely common situations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The big thing that tripped me up was using crow-flight distance as the second tiebreaker (instead of going straight to initiative) when picking a focus.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Jabor posted:

The big thing that tripped me up was using crow-flight distance as the second tiebreaker (instead of going straight to initiative) when picking a focus.

I forgot that one and will probably never remember it while playing. Doesn't matter too much as long as you do it consistently I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
Wow, I'm a little more rusty than I thought. That quiz was a bit punishing after the easy ones. I'll have to take it again later and see how much I can remember.