Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Davincie posted:

outside of the cgi cars and people that plagued it, how do you feel about all the white spots on the characters and the nonsensical lightning? cause thats the part that bugged me most and the part that is again very noticeable

Ironically white spots and nonsensical lighting happen to describe the moon p well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I liked the first episode. Seems like it's going to just be a nice and pleasant watch like Ore Monogatari was.

But I also kind of want to see it turn into an adventure series where the girls have to brave storms out at sea and trying to stay warm in the freezing cold while fending off wildlife.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's gonna turn into The Thing

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Fangz posted:

:agreed:

Really strong first episode, and incidental text jokes were on point. The design of the colouring was unusual, but not bad.

Lol

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
our heroine will have to eat the other girls to survive. that OP is going to be heartbreaking by the end.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Wark Say posted:

Fabulous / Campy should do. The fujo market doesn't need much to work on, really. But yeah, more cool portrayals of Gay/Bi- Men, please. :)

Love to see more acceptance of this. I'm so glad No. 6 and Yuri got made, but I'd love to see more dealing with those themes especially when they're not played for laughs.

I've been hitting up Genshiken (Second Generation) and they way they portray Kato-kun and his crossdressing is one of the best things I've seen. They even go into detail on how much work it takes to pull it off well for a guy, and how painful both rejection and acceptance can be.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I watched the first episode of Sora yori mo Tooi Basho (seriously how did you guys go half a page without even mentioning its title?) The visuals were actually sort of charming when they weren't janky IMO, and I like the viewpoint character so far. That said, they are making an unspoken promise of lots of penguins and they had better loving deliver. :colbert:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I'm glad of these goofs

The friend just going around sniffing people was a good little gag

Spiritus Nox posted:

The antarctica show seems good and I like how it looks

:agreed:

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I'm gonna watch a lot of anime this season.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i'm gonna watch six

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

an actual dog posted:

I'm gonna watch a lot of anime this season.

:yeah:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

sentai licensed poptepipic and it's streaming on hidive

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

StandardVC10 posted:

I watched the first episode of Sora yori mo Tooi Basho (seriously how did you guys go half a page without even mentioning its title?)

I honestly forget the title all the time.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

AnacondaHL posted:

Ironically white spots and nonsensical lighting happen to describe the moon p well

Now that I've seen the episode, I'm doubling down on this: the outline lighting creates soft but striking highlights of the characters, as if you could imagine them all on a studio set with spotlights on them as they go about their lives. And it additionally evokes imagery of how actual natural light feels in the north and south poles during those bizarre 24h daylight summers.

Also the goofy characters are fantastic, I'm 100% on-board with the Antarctica show :getin:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

sentai licensed poptepipic and it's streaming on hidive

lol rip

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/948426456283205632

'every time astolfo isnt onscreen, the characters should be asking 'where's astolfo?'

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Astolfo will also be in the new Fate Extella.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
sincerely all i know about fate is that i love astolfo.

not that i want to kiss him but i wanna steal that look

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
fate/apocryphand astolfo

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

sincerely all i know about fate is that i love astolfo.

not that i want to kiss him but i wanna steal that look

I wanna kiss him

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The artstyle in Sora Yori had an interesting effect that might have been intentional - the characters looked much more natural and integrated with their environment in the Antarctica scenes than in the Japan ones. Given the themes of the first episode, that fitted pretty well.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I still need to see the first ep, but I'm wondering if they'll try to use real world research locations or just make up their own (or just have the characters on mostly featureless ice and snow).

Japan itself has 4 Antarctic bases (although only 2 are open) so it'd be cool if they show what it's like living down there.

EDIT: Since they seem to be on (or just starting on) a research vessel they could easily go around to the major vessel sites like Palmer, McMurdo, and most of the coastal bases and outlying islands around the continent.

Crain fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 3, 2018

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I am totally ok with the Jojo team doing a tsubasa anime

Tsubasa was huuuuge here. Like literally if you ask a middle easterner ages 25?-35 which cartoons they watched growing up it's Tsubasa (Captain Majid in arabic) and Grendizer.

I think it was way cheaper to dub anime in the 80s and 90s than western stuff.

But ya regardless take the team that's doing a kickass adaptation of a 80s/90s manga and give them this 80s/90s anime to remake. do it

Wow. That brings back memories. I forgot about the name Captain Majid. It's all coming back now.
Incredibly hyped for the captain Tsubasa remake.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm curious to see how long it takes to actually get to Antarctica in Sora Yori. I could see them handwaving their way onto a boat before the middle of the second episode, or I could see that taking an episode or more to sort out by itself - and then there's the boat ride itself.

Hope it doesn't take too long, tbh, I'd like them to actually get to Antarctica before mid-season.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm curious to see how long it takes to actually get to Antarctica in Sora Yori. I could see them handwaving their way onto a boat before the middle of the second episode, or I could see that taking an episode or more to sort out by itself - and then there's the boat ride itself.

Hope it doesn't take too long, tbh, I'd like them to actually get to Antarctica before mid-season.

They could have just taken a plane from New Zealand, but that's the USAP system (although other countries still use them to get on continent sometimes). It's also less fun for random "sailing on the seas" hijinks, though it takes a long time by boat to get down there. The Palmer takes about 4 days to go from Chile to Palmer Station (if they don't stop to do anything, and then it's a lot longer to get around to McMurdo), I don't know where Japan's research vessels are stationed at though so that could be a long trip to make for them. Which means a few episodes on the sea or maybe more depending on how they're cutting it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Pop Team Epic is getting a Funi Simuldub.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
:whitewater:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

drat really trying to scuttle popteam in the west huh...

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/948694805575450624

never fear you motherfuckers

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

sentai, why

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The rights to the show were non-exclusive, meaning whoever wants it can have it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

The rights to the show were non-exclusive, meaning whoever wants it can have it.

They should do that more often. The proliferation of streaming services makes exclusive licenses a pain for viewers.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Thank god

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I can't believe Devilman comes out on Friday and we get to watch it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oldv3e9MPkc

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Expect My Mom posted:

Oh man I got loving hopes for this

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Crain posted:

Thank god

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
I watched the Antarctica show, despite it being very much Not My Thing, and it was really, really sweet. Thanks thread!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
THIS SUMMER

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2018-01-04/encouragement-of-climb-anime-3rd-season-premieres-this-summer/.126046

RME
Feb 20, 2012

El Burbo posted:

I wanna kiss him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

lol @ the music in this