Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Then there is the Vacuum Catastrophe where Zero point energy is in conflict with Quantum Field Theory where QFT predicts vacuum energy up to 100 orders of magnitude higher than currently observed. I think that description is right...

It's better than before where it predicted infinite energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Luneshot posted:

For what its worth, as a codename which originated during the Manhattan Project its pretty good. It's technically accurate, but so vague that you can discern basically zero information from it unless you already know what it is.

I nominate "grease gun injury".

This reminds me of a thing.

At a previous job, at some point I met some folks from the department that deals with getting all the national offices to cooperate internationally. He said he was working on something with the internal name of 'Project Orlando', which was just an international IT infrastructure coordination project.

So I asked him, why is it called Orlando?

He told me, completely seriously, that they had an earlier, similar project called Project Miami, and they decided to stick with the theme of USA place names. So for this project, they decided Manhattan is a cool place and went with the name Project Manhattan.

For some unfathomable reason, the people at the Japan office had a problem with this. So it was quickly changed to Project Orlando.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Skyshine is a cuter and prettier name than you'd expect for something potentially dangerous.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

I would argue that the Great Oxygenation Event belongs in the bottom right corner, not the top left. It was a permanent change in the Earth’s atmosphere, rendering the planet toxic to the vast majority of life and setting off a global ice age lasting three hundred million years.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
K–T gets all the press because people love dinosaurs, but it only killed 75% of species.

The P–Tr extinction killed 96%.

It even wrecked insects.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

Hey, Degloving isn't necessarily deadly. Horrifying yes, deadly not with medical treatment.

Depends on the part that has been degloved Degloved penis. :ohdear:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Tochiazuma posted:

'nuclear exchange' is my... favourite?

countervalue exchange

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Phy posted:

What's the most gallingly disparate terminology you can think of, in terms of the innocence of the description to the deadliness of the thing or phenomenon it describes?

I like 'almond scented'

treasured8elief has a new favorite as of 16:35 on Jan 3, 2018

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Not quite chemistry but I am fond of " injuries incompatible with life"

IE: Decapitation, such torso trauma that literal poo poo is coming out of their mouth and other fun things

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

"Extremely characteristic scent" is always a favourite.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

"Evulsion" is one of my favorites.

General definition: the action of plucking something out by force; violent or forcible extraction. Different than avulsion, which is a general tear of a muscle or tendon (but not the removal) Can happen to the tendons attaching your fingers to your forearm muscles if, say, a horse were to bite your fingers off because you didn't keep your palm flat when feeding it.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Gonna go start a chemistry themed death metal band

That reminds me of The County Medical Examiners. They're a trio of, well, actual county medical examiners who perform songs in the style of early Carcass albums except with medically correct lyrics. They're too busy with their jobs & live too far away from each other to play live shows but they've made a few good albums. If you like early Carcass you will love them. Otherwise, probably not.

this one goes out to the nasty chemicals thread:

NH2(CH2)4NH2 & C5H14N2 (Putrescine & Cadaverine)

Putrescine and cadaverine, the pungent twins of putridity
Colorless and syrupy biogenic amines
Putrescine and cadaverine, vapor of ornithine
The stench of death visits me in the morgue laboratory
Perfume of rot, heady, thick and hot

Putrescine and cadaverine, Brothers in liquidity
Fuming stench of carcass stink, noisome gas, fetid glee
Putrescine and cadaverine, ambassadors of ripened reek
Breaking down dead protein, egressing odors miasmically
Sickening stink makes watering eyes blink

These dual chemical compounds, released shortly after death
Cloud the pleasant morgue ambiance with their foul, rotten breath
Fraternally bound to haunt swollen distended bodies
Their chemical reactions clash amidst rank autopsies

NH2(CH2)4NH2... Putrescine!
C5H14N2... Cadaverine!
C5H14N2... Cadaverine!

Gorges rise and heave with the stench
A symphony of sickness perfumed with putrescence
While affronted senses nauseously totter and lurch
The carcass breeds odor and chemically gives birth

C5H14N2... Cadaverine!
C5H14N2... Cadaverine!

The ripened tang of gaseous decomposition let loose in the morgue
Overtaxed fans strain to aerate the grave-ly polluted ward
Tumefied decedents belch their chemical cohorts into the air
The airborne corpse-whiff adheres to fabrics, skin, and hair
Acrid reek, odiferous cadaver leak

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Johnny Aztec posted:

Not quite chemistry but I am fond of " injuries incompatible with life"

IE: Decapitation, such torso trauma that literal poo poo is coming out of their mouth and other fun things
Related, copremesis. Not all that innocuous a word, but a really nasty condition.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Grundulum posted:

I would argue that the Great Oxygenation Event belongs in the bottom right corner, not the top left. It was a permanent change in the Earth’s atmosphere, rendering the planet toxic to the vast majority of life and setting off a global ice age lasting three hundred million years.

The first time, and hopefully the last, that life on Earth faced mass extinction due to chronic uncontrolled farting. Anaerobic bacteria are still angry about it so be careful around them.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Syd Midnight posted:

That reminds me of The County Medical Examiners. They're a trio of, well, actual county medical examiners who perform songs in the style of early Carcass albums except with medically correct lyrics. They're too busy with their jobs & live too far away from each other to play live shows but they've made a few good albums. If you like early Carcass you will love them. Otherwise, probably not.

These guys are 2x scarier looking than your average murder-core metal band, there's a nonzero chance they've actually killed people before.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

"Particulation" sounds innocent enough, until you find it's about victims from air crashes.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Platystemon posted:

K–T gets all the press because people love dinosaurs, but it only killed 75% of species.

The P–Tr extinction killed 96%.

It even wrecked insects.

Yeah but the Permian-Triassic extinction event is called "The Great Dying", not really relevant to the discussion at hand.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
My personal favorite is 'spagettification'. Like being pressed through an extruder, only there's no extruder!

Edit: Scrag. Scrag is a good word. And 'safe' as a verb for 'to blow something up.'

Cichlidae has a new favorite as of 05:10 on Jan 4, 2018

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pressure differential

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Syd Midnight posted:

The first time, and hopefully the last, that life on Earth faced mass extinction due to chronic uncontrolled farting. Anaerobic bacteria are still angry about it so be careful around them.

No, not the last.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Syd Midnight posted:

Moo.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

pressure differential

I'm a fan of "pressure gradient". Especially when preceded by the word "steep"

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

The background for the chart should be an AutoCAD cloud labeled "event"

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Hands down the most innocent sounding terrible thing is "excursion"

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I've always liked "controlled flight into terrain."

Controlled is good!

Edit: The Jewel Voice Broadcast might contain one of the greatest understatements in history: "... the war situation has developed not necessarily to Japan's advantage." - Emperor Hirohito, Aug 15, 1945.

Rent-A-Cop has a new favorite as of 15:21 on Jan 4, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“lithobraking”

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Vando posted:

Hands down the most innocent sounding terrible thing is "excursion"

What's the horror here?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

Nth Doctor posted:

What's the horror here?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticality_accident

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Thanks, friend. :hfive:

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

pressure differential

ΔP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEtbFm_CjE0

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Holy crap - that Mayak incident was a symphony of fuckups!

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

MrUnderbridge posted:

Holy crap - that Mayak incident was a symphony of fuckups!

I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to be more specific: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayak#List_of_accidents

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Zernach posted:

Unfavorable vessel geometry

Platystemon posted:

Favorable Geometry

Remind me, which one of these causes criticalities?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Claptain posted:

Remind me, which one of these causes criticalities?

Unfavorable.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

Maybe call this "less than ideal"?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Considering what those are supposed to be, less than ideal is the understatement of the year.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm guessing they're not fancy cigar cases like Will Smith had in Independence Day

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Phy posted:

I'm guessing they're not fancy cigar cases like Will Smith had in Independence Day
Rods of plutonium arranged for a photo op. They were close enough together that bumping the table too hard or having too many people gathered around them could have induced criticality. One person was assigned to walk up and carefully move them away from each other, but other people weren't cleared out because gently caress nuclear safety procedures, work has to continue.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

GWBBQ posted:

Rods of plutonium arranged for a photo op. They were close enough together that bumping the table too hard or having too many people gathered around them could have induced criticality. One person was assigned to walk up and carefully move them away from each other, but other people weren't cleared out because gently caress nuclear safety procedures, work has to continue.

aaaaAAAAAAAHHHHHHH :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Farmdizzle posted:

Maybe call this "less than ideal"?

Significantly less than ideal.

Every time I see that photo, I clench.