Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Jabor posted:

The big thing that tripped me up was using crow-flight distance as the second tiebreaker (instead of going straight to initiative) when picking a focus.

Comments say that was added via FAQ between 1st and 2nd edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Wound doesn't prevent heals the way poison does......
Rending drakes suddenly became a whole lot less scary

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

The other thing about the quiz is how it highlights the importance of monsters staying put in situations where every destination hex is blocked, or where they can't close the effective distance. A lot of people have kneejerk house ruled this like in cases where you go invis and block the door, except for the fact that the rule exists to prevent monsters from mindlessly bunching up for easy AoE clears.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
It works both ways. You go invis to block the door so that the person opening the door doesn't take a face full of arrows/claws/fireballs/swords the second they open the door and all the monsters get to act often at once. An invis person in a doorway means the monsters have no viable focus and so they stay put.

Honestly I think it's easily the clunkiest rule in the game. I'm sure they tried it, but in my mind it would make more sense if the monsters didn't go if their initiative had already passed. That way you could still plan around opening doors, slower monsters could still act, the door opener is less of a pincushion, and strategies wouldn't just be reliant on invisibility. I'm sure they playtested that and it doesn't work as well but I can't help but think there must be something better.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Frush posted:

It works both ways. You go invis to block the door so that the person opening the door doesn't take a face full of arrows/claws/fireballs/swords the second they open the door and all the monsters get to act often at once. An invis person in a doorway means the monsters have no viable focus and so they stay put.

Honestly I think it's easily the clunkiest rule in the game. I'm sure they tried it, but in my mind it would make more sense if the monsters didn't go if their initiative had already passed. That way you could still plan around opening doors, slower monsters could still act, the door opener is less of a pincushion, and strategies wouldn't just be reliant on invisibility. I'm sure they playtested that and it doesn't work as well but I can't help but think there must be something better.

Then you'd just have someone go super late and open the door and it acts as if that person has invis since nothing moves. I'm fine with it as-is, to be honest, just be careful opening doors. Or open with a move 5 stun combo to ensure you don't get horribly hosed.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

silvergoose posted:

Then you'd just have someone go super late and open the door and it acts as if that person has invis since nothing moves. I'm fine with it as-is, to be honest, just be careful opening doors. Or open with a move 5 stun combo to ensure you don't get horribly hosed.

That's entirely the point though. If the end result is the same just rule it into the game and let people use their fun invisibility powers and items for something more exciting than... opening doors. Move with a large movement and stun (or similar) still applies in case there's something slow on the other side as well, it just doesn't require an item/power to not take a facefull of hate. Summons don't get to go on the turn they're summoned, so obviously this has been thought about.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Big McHuge posted:

I've got a question for the thread that can hopefully be answered without spoilers.

My GF and I started a campaign with two of our friends this past Friday night. We beat the first scenario and from the treasure chest got the windswept highlands scenario. We had so much fun, that the next night we invited two of our other friends over to play (they used the two charcters we didn't use Friday) and completed the windswept highlands. My question is, right now, we only have one scenario available to us at the moment. How far into the game will we need to get before we have a lot of options that could maybe support our setup of swapping out two of our friends on a regular basis?

I don't know if the scenario you unlocked unlocks anything on completion, but Scenario 1 is obviously linked to Scenario 2. After that, you'll start seeing branches. I've only beaten 4 scenarios so far and now have 8 available (+1 that I'm locked out of by a choice I made).

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Scenario 1 goes straight to 2 to show you linked scenarios, then it explodes wide to show you you have choice. It only constricts again when you have made some major choices that will close off paths.

These are obvious and very "You see a grandma, do you help her or steal from her" in the kind of decisions you are making.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Frush posted:

That's entirely the point though. If the end result is the same just rule it into the game and let people use their fun invisibility powers and items for something more exciting than... opening doors. Move with a large movement and stun (or similar) still applies in case there's something slow on the other side as well, it just doesn't require an item/power to not take a facefull of hate. Summons don't get to go on the turn they're summoned, so obviously this has been thought about.
Blowing invisibility when opening a door is a huge waste 99% of the time. Really the only thing you should try for when opening a door is having a movement point or two left over so you can respond to the monsters inside.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Even just stepping back so melee monsters can't reach you and you've broken line-of-sight with any archers is almost always good enough to not die horribly.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

misguided rage posted:

Blowing invisibility when opening a door is a huge waste 99% of the time. Really the only thing you should try for when opening a door is having a movement point or two left over so you can respond to the monsters inside.

What do people generally use Invisibility for? Our scoundrel has only used it once and it was to just immediately break it for the damage bonus from that one card that stays in play.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Mindthief wades into enemy group deals damage and then invisible. The lumber ineffectually around you to get to buddies, next round you use a bottom attack card and top attack to murder everything. I used it a bunch on him, so much he had a item to do it as well as a card.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

CaptainRightful posted:

I don't know if the scenario you unlocked unlocks anything on completion, but Scenario 1 is obviously linked to Scenario 2. After that, you'll start seeing branches. I've only beaten 4 scenarios so far and now have 8 available (+1 that I'm locked out of by a choice I made).

Ok cool. My initial worry was that the two people we started the campaign with have pretty busy schedules and a 1 year old baby, so the likelihood of getting a consistent amount of plays in with them is almost nil. Our other friends that we played with are a bit flaky but this game is in their wheelhouse so we might see them more often. I want to try to avoid doing the whole "we finished the second part of the two-part adventure without you, sorry" thing.

I think the bottom line is that maybe we need to get some more reliable friends for game night, but we've been saying that for months now.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
My brother and I have the rule that we don't play without each other, but other than that we invited 3 other people, and the rule is if even one of them can come we'll play. Everyone is busy, and its hard to prioritize a game, let alone match schedules between 4+ adults. It sucks, but the bane of gaming as adults is scheduling and sometimes stragglers get left behind for a night. GH is a little better for that then most since people tend to really want to come play though.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice

Countblanc posted:

What do people generally use Invisibility for? Our scoundrel has only used it once and it was to just immediately break it for the damage bonus from that one card that stays in play.

This doesn't break invisibility, FYI, just requires it to be in effect for the double damage.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Jabor posted:

Even just stepping back so melee monsters can't reach you and you've broken line-of-sight with any archers is almost always good enough to not die horribly.

My experience with crude card rulers is that it seems pretty hard to break line of sight most of the time.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Kiranamos posted:

My experience with crude card rulers is that it seems pretty hard to break line of sight most of the time.

In most contexts, but being on the same side (left-right-wise, I mean) of a door but in a different room is a pretty guaranteed block.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Got my upgrade standies. The yellow is more of a dull gold then yellow. I like it. Differentiated from regular, which is what you want. But the base game yellow is so...bold it didn't match the games color palette.

Game with 2 dice! Bonus. I got a brick of basic red 12mm from Amazon for like $6. Reall happy with this upgrade. I was already putting status on the board because I kept forgetting about them looking at moves. And the health tokens can gently caress off. After probably 30 hours of this game I don't want to fiddle with them again.

They also flex slightly if you try so you aren't gouging your cardboard baddies to put them in.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice

malkav11 posted:

In most contexts, but being on the same side (left-right-wise, I mean) of a door but in a different room is a pretty guaranteed block.

Not usually - if you can trace from one corner, through the door gap, to another corner then you have LoS. You'd have to be along the wall a hex from the door-adjacent hexes to have any chance.

Edit:

Mini has LoS to every hex in the image in the next room, thanks to the bottom corner of their hex.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
My experience so far has been that ranged enemies tend start a few steps back from the entrance, so you don't usually have to worry about every single one them peeking around it on their first move. You're not really trying to hide from them indefinitely, you just want to not get pincushioned by every single one on the turn you open the door.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Not usually - if you can trace from one corner, through the door gap, to another corner then you have LoS. You'd have to be along the wall a hex from the door-adjacent hexes to have any chance.

Edit:

Mini has LoS to every hex in the image in the next room, thanks to the bottom corner of their hex.

4 scenarios in I still am constantly shrugging at how broad LOS is. If you have to ask, it probably has LOS.

That quiz was really interesting, didn't know about the FAQ issued on tiebreakers going to crow distance before initiative. Overall some very interesting pieces.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The game did a lot to just say "everything has LOS" I bet there was some debate on just saying you have it between rooms too. It's always the most fiddly part of these games. Saying gently caress it everything has LOS is a good move besides the hiding in a different room sidecase.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Huh, when it said "any corner to any corner" I assumed that meant you had to be able to trace from all corners to all corners, not just one to one. Guess I've been playing wrong!

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
In big rooms you can hide behind walls but yeah, narrow rooms are the norm, and combined with the game's time pressure mechanic...

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So I have anywhere between 3-5 people tonight for Gloomhaven (including myself).

If we have 5, the rule is to increase the scenario level by 1 or 2 without increasing the reward, right?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

dwarf74 posted:

So I have anywhere between 3-5 people tonight for Gloomhaven (including myself).

If we have 5, the rule is to increase the scenario level by 1 or 2 without increasing the reward, right?

I believe the official rule is "don't play with 5" and the follow up to that is "if you have to, that should work."

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

I believe the exact recommendation for 5 players is to increase all monster levels and trap damage by 2.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
In scenario 2 what is the treasure tile value?. I couldn't find it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Lorini posted:

Its on the picture of how you set up the tiles.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Lorini posted:

I'm tempted to replay that mission, we didn't have our boss open any doors and we proceeded to punch everything to death without much happening.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah exactly the same thing happened to us, we murderfonged him before he had the chance to do anything other than summon two skellingtons which we promptly immobilised out of range then killed. Need to repeat it and give him the chance to give us the treature, but it's very RNGesus whether that works.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Well, is the chest worth going back for or is it just a random scenario like the first chest? I guess it really is just a larger question of are there missable things worth going back for - in a game this big with so much to do, it almost feels silly to go back and replay something for loot. Granted, there are some cool things like the skeleton summoning ring a few missions later, so probably answering my own question here.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I don't know, we've not done it yet :P

But I'd be vaguely interested in finding out too. I doubt we'd do the repeat any time soon tho.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Scenario 2 chest spoilers It's just 10 gold so probably not worth the repeat

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Cool thanks

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

Scenario 2 chest spoilers It's just 10 gold so probably not worth the repeat

Kind of wish they had different icons for items or scenarios, or gold or traps. Would be a fairly easy way to differentiate between skippable chests while still keeping them enticing.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Nephzinho posted:

Kind of wish they had different icons for items or scenarios, or gold or traps. Would be a fairly easy way to differentiate between skippable chests while still keeping them enticing.

Thats kind of the point?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
We're back down to 4. Whew.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Replace 2 with 8 poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Lorini posted:

Replace 2 with 8 poo poo.

It's a random scenario unlock from the scenario deck. Same with the blue back card treasure, it's a random item design added to the shop