Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Scenario 2 down. I think the rng was kind to us. Scoundrel, Tinker, Cragheart, and new Brute.

The boss summoned 4 skeletons total and never opened a door.

The Tinkerer didn't take a single point of damage. I had 4 cards left and 8 health. Everyone else was better off than me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

We are down to 11 scenarios now and our Brute and Scoundrel combo is really kicking into high gear (we are level 4 and 5 now). We have been playing on normal but I think we need to kick it up a notch and go to hard, since now that we are both very familiar to our characters, it's getting kind of easy, so an extra challenge will be nice. We are, however, really close to retiring both of these characters, with my Brute pretty much being two scenarios away from retirement and the Scoundrel being very close as well depending on what scenarios we pick (if we pick a particular scenario, she's likely to be able to retire immediately). Can't wait to unlock more stuff really, I like the Brute/Scoundrel but I really want to see something new.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
We've cleared 6 scenarios now - including the one where you fight basically Satan, who our tinkerer alpha striked with a 2x card and killed before he got a single turn. This game continues to Rule.

My personal quest involves finding three different enemies - drakes, oozes, and lurkers. Any idea what direction to go in to find any of these? We've mostly gone down the cult scenario tree.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

BinaryDoubts posted:

My personal quest involves finding three different enemies - drakes, oozes, and lurkers.

Can't help you there. That was the personal quest I didn't take in favor of kill 15 vyrmlings . Even if you do manage to find them you still have to then land the killing blow. Yeah, no thanks to that one!

Personal quest spoilers: Of course, then my friend took a quest to exhaust 12 times, which unlocks the same thing as the one I took, so even when I finish it'll likely be long after him and all I'll get is a random item design and scenario. At least I'll still get to pick a new class.

How is that storyline branch? We went the opposite direction. Wondering if it would be worth a replay to catch it when we finish. We've got the removable stickers so it's totally an option.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

BinaryDoubts posted:

My personal quest involves finding three different enemies - drakes, oozes, and lurkers. Any idea what direction to go in to find any of these? We've mostly gone down the cult scenario tree.

During that scenario tree there is a scenario where you run into drakes, but it is not guaranteed and blocks some of the other paths.

After the boss in the cult scenario tree you unlock two new storylines, maybe even three. One of them has drakes from the very start, when you go into the mountains, the other one has oozes from the very start, when you go into the sewers.

I'm about 30 scenarios in and only saw Lurkers once, in a sidequest.

lummawks
Apr 28, 2010
Just got my Broken Token organizer and was thinking about staining it. Should I stain before assembling or after?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
are the boss standees used more than once for different encounters?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

lummawks posted:

Just got my Broken Token organizer and was thinking about staining it. Should I stain before assembling or after?
When possible, stain anything before assembly, including this.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

lummawks posted:

Staining is wiping stain on, then wiping it off thoroughly.

Wiping it off is really tough in corners.

You are going to assemble a shitload of corners.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Question about those 3D printed monster standee things: I see you can fit two small d6s on the stand but what do you do for baddies with more than 12hp? Will tiny d20s fit in there without rolling around and losing your number?

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

head58 posted:

Question about those 3D printed monster standee things: I see you can fit two small d6s on the stand but what do you do for baddies with more than 12hp? Will tiny d20s fit in there without rolling around and losing your number?

For these enemies (which is practically like 75% at this point) we use a black die to represent 6+. So a 17 health enemy gets a red 6 and a black 5 which then becomes a red 6 after 5 points of damage. Works pretty well overall and easy to distinguish who the big enemies are visually as well.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

Thats kind of the point?

I guess to put a finer point on it, I hope that chests that are locked behind rooms you can't control entering or are otherwise missable don't have important content in them as we go for every chest we see already. It would be annoying to replay a mission for RNG reasons just to get a chest that we didn't even have the opportunity to collect.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Nephzinho posted:

I guess to put a finer point on it, I hope that chests that are locked behind rooms you can't control entering or are otherwise missable don't have important content in them as we go for every chest we see already. It would be annoying to replay a mission for RNG reasons just to get a chest that we didn't even have the opportunity to collect.

Given how much we've been playing on casual (2p, playing a ton, want to unlock lots of stuff) replaying scenarios to get chests has never been a problem for us.

lummawks
Apr 28, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Staining is wiping stain on, then wiping it off thoroughly.

Wiping it off is really tough in corners.

You are going to assemble a shitload of corners.

Should I do both sides at once or do one and let it dry then do the other (sorry complete woodworking noob). If I do both is it ok to let one side lie on somethin (like paper) while it dries or should as little surface as possible be touching while it dries?

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
New thread title?

Gloomhaven: #1 Ranked boardgame, woodworking skills optional

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

lummawks posted:

Should I do both sides at once or do one and let it dry then do the other (sorry complete woodworking noob). If I do both is it ok to let one side lie on somethin (like paper) while it dries or should as little surface as possible be touching while it dries?

You can do both sides. It's not like paint.

Wipe on. Wait 5 minutes. 10 min for darker.

Wipe off everything really well.

Set down to dry.

It will get on your fingers if you touch it but there should be nothing left on the wood. Set it on some butcher paper.

lummawks
Apr 28, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

You can do both sides. It's not like paint.

Wipe on. Wait 5 minutes. 10 min for darker.

Wipe off everything really well.

Set down to dry.

It will get on your fingers if you touch it but there should be nothing left on the wood. Set it on some butcher paper.

Thanks for the tips, I've stained it all now and it's sitting and drying, can't wait to assemble this behemoth!

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I've been reading the monster movement quiz on BGG, and it's helped me internalize some of the nuances of how focus and stuff works.

Also, it's amazing just how belligerently people cling to their misconceptions.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Somehow completely missed 'crow flies'. I think as long as you are consistent and don't gently caress up ranged enemies by running them away from you, you are good.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Tendales posted:

Tell me about it. I work in Tech Support and let me tell you, when someone calls me with a problem and gets advice that they don't like, they will argue forever.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Tendales posted:

I've been reading the monster movement quiz on BGG, and it's helped me internalize some of the nuances of how focus and stuff works.

It's great, even when someone posts a literal screenshot of the rulebook.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Bombadilillo posted:

Somehow completely missed 'crow flies'. I think as long as you are consistent and don't gently caress up ranged enemies by running them away from you, you are good.
From reading the discussion that led to that rule, and Isaac's response, I think it should really only check proximity after moving rather than as a tiebreaker before moving. It was meant to clear up a super-nitpicky interpretation of how ranged monsters work and it doesn't make a ton of sense when applied to melee monters.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

misguided rage posted:

From reading the discussion that led to that rule, and Isaac's response, I think it should really only check proximity after moving rather than as a tiebreaker before moving. It was meant to clear up a super-nitpicky interpretation of how ranged monsters work and it doesn't make a ton of sense when applied to melee monters.

RIP DaviddesJ

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
What happened to David???

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Lorini posted:

User profile: "I no longer post on BGG due to dissatisfaction with the site and administrators. Much of what I would like to say is not welcome here, and the user community is not what it used to be, either. Still read sometimes and will respond to GeekMail."

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Thanks. The site is better for his decision in my opinion. Known him since rec.games.board days.

In Gloomhaven news we will have a new session next week, hopefully without having to do a zillion rules look ups this time.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Lorini posted:

I've always assumed socially debilitating autism.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

First play with upgrade standies. So far totally worth it. They are cutting play time down by like 25%. Because guess what. I don't have to care about numbers anymore!!! Who cares if that living bones 9. It's a yellow with 7 health. the minor dice fiddliness is offset so well with the lack of enemy bookkeeping. Really happy with this. Things are way smoother. You can get a better picture of the map and dangers. Loving it.

When all monsters have over 12 health I'll have to do the black die red die trick. But stacking another die works fine short term.

Haven't tracked a boss yet. That might require special health tracking. Probably.

Tldr. Games faster and board easier to read. Good upgrade.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 6, 2018

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Our experience as well, definitely worth the money.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Lorini posted:

Our experience as well, definitely worth the money.

Awesome. It was a great feeling looking at the 10 monster sleeve and realizing I never had to deal with that again.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

I hate those elite monsters with their 1 extra health over 12 :argh:

For bosses I don't bother, I just put the 2 d20s on the sleeve. I'm still amazed everytime we actually kill something with like 40 health.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

13, sheesh, once you get up to level six scenarios poo poo has dozens of health.

In other news, playing on very hard once you get to high character level is hella fun.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Would a pair of smallish d10s fit on those bases?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

They are pretty small. Also moving them is pretty solid with the d6's even stacked.

I might play with different sizes tomorrow and take some pics. alright. Whiskey be damned here you guys go.

Alright. 12mm red dice designed to fit for reference.

D12 actually fits pretty well. You can tell what face is up. Doesn't giggle when moves.

D10 wiggled a lot. Pretty useless.

D20 is a big cocked but you can tell what's up and if you are careful it won't shift when moved.

None fit another dice with them.

None are ideal. Ironically the d12 works best and is no improvement on the 2d6. If you have a load of spare spindown d20s I think they would work fine.

And stacking d6s is pretty stable. For what it's worth.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 6, 2018

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

I wonder how these would work. We use them on the 10 monster sleeves.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0778T332K/

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I bought something like this.

Wiz Dice Random Polyhedral Dice in Multiple Colors (100 + Pack) Bundle with Wiz Dice Pouch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009R6J8RY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_KMguAb4TM51RZ

10 years ago and have never hurt for dice since. Including letting people pick a full set of d&d dice to keep when they come play.

I have plenty of those to use on cards. It's having the health on the standie itself that helps the game. No the tokens on the card.

The 'ok number 6 gets 2 damage....uh ok that one" that takes time. Over I attack that-point-take health

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

The ones I linked are 10mm.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Kiranamos posted:

I hate those elite monsters with their 1 extra health over 12 :argh:

For bosses I don't bother, I just put the 2 d20s on the sleeve. I'm still amazed everytime we actually kill something with like 40 health.

It's only when you get to 14 you need a third die. They die when you would add the third, if they have 13...

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Brain Curry posted:

The ones I linked are 10mm.

Oh those would probably work then.

thespaceinvader posted:

It's only when you get to 14 you need a third die. They die when you would add the third, if they have 13...

I've been putting their full health on then removing it as we attack. It makes more visual sense and easy decisions seeing that has 10 health that has 2 left.

All those little speedup and not doing simple subtraction and not looking back and for to check max health every time really really do speed things up and make it feel better.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Was down a player so I invited my friend Tony over to fill in and after 1 session is is fully on board the Gloomhaven hype train. His copy comes in 2 weeks and he's already got the organizer. He just emailed me with a question and I wanted to get the opinion of more experienced Gloomhaven goons.

Tony posted:

I am thinking Jane and I are going to play it 2 player and maybe have guest appearances by other people.

Do you think it would work to just add in floating people from time to time with starter characters that start at whatever level our reputation allows? I was thinking we could keep track of earned gold from adventures and just let them spend that on items as if they were there. That way Charles(their son) could once in a while jump in, or you, or Derrick or anyone that wants to cameo with us.

How do you think it would work with drop in and drop out play like he's thinking?