Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's kinda weird that Goku, Gohan, Trunks and now Vegeta all have unique bullshit powered-up forms.

Come to think of it, how'd Vegeta turn blue to begin with? They haven't actually explained that at all, have they?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcp3tZ3XFyQ this except blue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It's kinda weird that Goku, Gohan, Trunks and now Vegeta all have unique bullshit powered-up forms.

Come to think of it, how'd Vegeta turn blue to begin with? They haven't actually explained that at all, have they?
I kind of assume he figured out how Goku did it during that whole period when he was staring like a hawk at Goku and Beerus fighting early in Super.

Like when I was watching it, I expected him to do it right then.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

They also haven't explained why the slim-and-red God form is now just in Goku's repertoire. I thought the whole point was that that form was only attainable with a special ceremony, and Goku hated it because it wasn't "his" strength or achievement. Now it's just some midgrade form before you get to Blue. And not even a necessary one, because unless it happened off screen, nobody held hands and did the ceremony around Vegeta

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's explained in BoG that he's absorbed the power of Super Saiyan God so now he can he can turn red god whenever because why not, it doesn't need explaining and is a bad form that is rightfully skipped over constantly anyway. :shrug:

You can use the "it doesn't need explaining" bit for why Veggie has access to God modes too.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's explained in BoG that he's absorbed the power of Super Saiyan God so now he can he can turn red god whenever because why not, it doesn't need explaining and is a bad form that is rightfully skipped over constantly anyway. :shrug:

You can use the "it doesn't need explaining" bit for why Veggie has access to God modes too.

His body "remembered" some of that power, and he was using it without turning into the red form....at least that's how the dub presented it. I've actually yet to go back and watch BoG subbed.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

jivjov posted:

They also haven't explained why the slim-and-red God form is now just in Goku's repertoire. I thought the whole point was that that form was only attainable with a special ceremony, and Goku hated it because it wasn't "his" strength or achievement. Now it's just some midgrade form before you get to Blue. And not even a necessary one, because unless it happened off screen, nobody held hands and did the ceremony around Vegeta

This feels pretty easy to explain away by the God ritual just unlocking God Ki in the recipient for the first time and after that it's theirs to learn how to manipulate and use.

re: Vegeta getting God Ki without a ritual, the ritual also doesn't need to be the only way that someone gets God Ki, either, given that the Gods of Destruction are presented as a merit-based office so presumably all the random GoDs were random jerks who figured it out.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
There's a scene super early on, like when they're training with Whis before Frieza comes back the first time, where Vegeta and Goku punch each other equally and they both realize how to go blue at that moment.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Jiren still a bad character. His one flash of almost not terribleness was "That power almost wasn't half bad", everything else was generic boring meditation dude.

His fighting style is still great though. And getting to see Vegeta power up is great, even if we know he's going to lose again so Goku's victory is even more exciting.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
When I see Jiren spinning around like a top I get hype.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

jivjov posted:

His body "remembered" some of that power, and he was using it without turning into the red form....at least that's how the dub presented it. I've actually yet to go back and watch BoG subbed.

He was tired and beaten up. They drop forms all the time when they're running out of juice. I dunno, it just doesn't feel like a stretch that once he's feeling 100% after unlocking his God Ki, he can use red again.

Kanos posted:

This feels pretty easy to explain away by the God ritual just unlocking God Ki in the recipient for the first time and after that it's theirs to learn how to manipulate and use.

re: Vegeta getting God Ki without a ritual, the ritual also doesn't need to be the only way that someone gets God Ki, either, given that the Gods of Destruction are presented as a merit-based office so presumably all the random GoDs were random jerks who figured it out.

Also, just because we don't see it doesn't mean it never happened. I don't think it's especially out of character for Vegeta to get Goku to convince the others to give him the red god boost ceremony so he could spar with Goku on an equal level or just throw a huge bitch fit and demand it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Also, just because we don't see it doesn't mean it never happened. I don't think it's especially out of character for Vegeta to get Goku to convince the others to give him the red god boost ceremony so he could spar with Goku on an equal level or just throw a huge bitch fit and demand it.

Except the series itself said otherwise. Goku outright said that Vegeta got Blue entirely through training with Whis, without the need of the ceremony, and he found that amazing.

You people need to pay more attention.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't think I need to remember throwaway lines from an episode of a kids tv show from 2 years ago!!!!

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Gohan will find his own path not through Gohan Blaco, but through Great Saiyaman Blanco and proving the truth of his justice until the Pride Toopers quit out of shame.

Or however Kamen Rider upgrades work. Do they get new colors?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

How quickly are dub episodes uploaded to vrv?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jiren was surprisingly talkative in this one. Too bad his conversation partner is dumb as bricks

Goku: "So you want to get stronger, right?"
Jiren: "I am looking for something beyond strength"
Goku: "Yeah I want to get stronger too!" :buddy:

Augus fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 7, 2018

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Flytrap posted:

Gohan will find his own path not through Gohan Blaco, but through Great Saiyaman Blanco and proving the truth of his justice until the Pride Toopers quit out of shame.

Or however Kamen Rider upgrades work. Do they get new colors?

Some do.

Generally they get new colors and slightly different bits of armor for the minor form changes, and then massively different ones for the more important ones.

The OG Kamen Rider went from having a blue, black and pink eyed original form, to a dark green, black and red eyed second form, and then his final form was teal, silver, black with red eyes and some new markings on his suit.

Kamen Rider Stronger was the first one with a mode change, not just an upgrade that was permanent, in 1971. He got a chrome horn and a new chest piece with silver detailing instead of his normal red chest piece.

From there any new upgrades tend to change the outfit to some degree with the color scheme.

I'd love to see the Saiyaman outfit spontaneously change details due to a transformation though, myself.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Augus posted:

Jiren was surprisingly talkative in this one. Too bad his conversation partner is dumb as bricks

lol

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Crabtree posted:

So I'm seeing some UI looking pupils on Vegeta in that ending. Is Vegeta's SSBlue Full Power or whatever it is on a level of UI? Dumb theory and all, but its a weird visual cue to take.

Judging from the fact that he's standing side-by-side with Kaioken Blue Goku, it's probably around that form's level

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tbf gohan's had his own unique thing since the buu saga

dunno what they'd do with that visually if they were to upgrade it since it's just base gohan as is and ui already does the special aura for base form. how do they keep the two visually distinct?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I do appreciate how instead of the usual "Vegeta gets a form after Goku unlocked it" status quo, the guy who's all SAIYAN PRIDE ASSHOLES gets a new super saiyan form while the guy who doesn't give a gently caress about being a saiyan and just wants to better his craft as a martial artist enters a movement-without-thought state. It's not the same old progression and makes perfect sense for the respective characters.

Maybe Gohan will get his own personal new form in three arcs too, who knows.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

tbf gohan's had his own unique thing since the buu saga

dunno what they'd do with that visually if they were to upgrade it since it's just base gohan as is and ui already does the special aura for base form. how do they keep the two visually distinct?

His hair is going to turn white.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

Augus posted:

For real though this was hysterical. Jiren just sounded so disappointed. I love grey Not-Superman.

Also, rooting for Dyspo to pull off the upset and beat Freeza, because I can't think of a funnier way for that to go.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Maybe Bandai made a batch of S.F Figuarts of Vegeta Blues with a bit deeper blue hair and thought "eh let's just tell Toei to put this in the show" and then they gave the botched figs some pupils too.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ-IUaIBlig

So good to hear him say Kakarott again.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Just watched the latest episode.

Amazing. Loved the Vegeta and Goku co op against Jiren.

Vegeta :ohdear:

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Augus posted:

This was my favorite and even though it would have been inappropriate I was hoping the reaction shot would just be Jiren looking directly at the camera.

My second favorite moment was when Vegeta got that hit in on Jiren how Jiren didn't seem to be in pain but seemed just genuinely shocked.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

I always just assumed he threw an even bigger tantrum off screen then he did the first time he went super sayain.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

"So....which one of you is real? You're purple, which is weird, but this other Vegeta's transparent - which is ALSO weird!"

Sean Schemmel is a treasure.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Sean got a lot better when he was allowed to play goku as a dumb fighting hillbilly instead of generic hero guy

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oh, I dunno, he's pretty good at both roles. I've been skimming through some of the highlights from Kai, and he's really good and really goddamn heroic when he's showing up to save the day from Nappa, the Ginyus, Freeza.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

goku only gets a few chances to be a real idiot in z. not much downtime there

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The Kai version of the Super Saiyan speech was really well done.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I remember the beginning of this arc how so many people were like “wow Goku is going evil he’s so crazy about battle” and this arc has done a fine job of reinforcing that nope Goku is just dumb and doesn’t think about things before fighting stuff

Calaveras
Sep 12, 2012

Ammat The Ankh posted:

It was pretty clear they saved their entire animation budget this episode for Vegeta.

Not that I'm in any way opposed to that

Not really a question of budget, Takahashi did the second half and he’s just a stronger supervisor who draws real good.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm pretty sure the evil Goku talk was tongue in cheek.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Hjalmar posted:

there's Bluetwo and then there's Mega Bluetwo X & Mega Bluetwo Y

I can't wait for Gohan to attain the power of Super Saiyan Pikablue.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Yeah I don't think anyone was saying Goku was gonna turn evil so much that the early stuff of the arc kinda emphasised how Goku's naivety and fight obsession can be equal parts beneficial and dangerous to those around him or even reality at large.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I am talking about internet people not the anime itself

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

vegeta is gonna beat jiren because goku ruined the multiverse and must pay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004