Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

bowmore posted:

if you are older than 14 and still talking about power levels or trying to ‘figure them out’ then that is :sad:

Hey when I was 14 I did all that stuff I posted in my head and concluded "Frieza must be bluffing about his power level."

And I thought that was a pretty cool wrinkle to the fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

bowmore posted:

if you are older than 14 and still talking about power levels or trying to ‘figure them out’ then that is :sad:

arguing about who would beat who is like 80% of the fun of discussing shounens online

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

arguing about who would beat who is like 80% of the fun of discussing shounens online

Reigen beats Mr. Satan beats King. But it would be drat close.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Toriyama weeps as he repeatedly runs the numbers on Vegeta vs. Recoome and realizes that the Vigorous Power Level Math doesn't work out, forever destroying the story.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Man the Ginyu Force would be super useful right now too. The Zenos would love stuff like RECOOME BOOM and body swapping to the point they would’ve exempt U7 for the sheer fun of having them around

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Toriyama weeps as he repeatedly runs the numbers on Vegeta vs. Recoome and realizes that the Vigorous Power Level Math doesn't work out, forever destroying the story.

It's pretty simple.

You know they say that all men are created equal, but you look at Recoome and you look at Vegeta and you can see that statement is not true. See, normally if you go one on one with another Frieza soldier, you got a 50/50 chance of winning. But Recoome's a genetic freak and he's not normal. So Vegeta got a 25%, AT BEST, at beat him. Then you add Krillin to the mix, his chances of winning drastic go down. See the 3 way, at Namek, you got a 33 1/3 chance of winning, but Recoome's got a 66 and 2/3 chance of winning, because Krillin knows he can't beat Recoome and he's not even gonna try.

So Vegeta, you take his 33 1/3 chance, minus Recoome's 25% chance and you got an 8 1/3 chance of winning on Namek. But then you take Recoome's 75% chance of winning, if they were to go one on one, and then add 66 2/3 per cents, Recoome's got 141 2/3 chance of winning on Namek. See, when we're talking Vegeta, the numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for him on Namek.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

chiasaur11 posted:

It's pretty simple.

You know they say that all men are created equal, but you look at Recoome and you look at Vegeta and you can see that statement is not true. See, normally if you go one on one with another Frieza soldier, you got a 50/50 chance of winning. But Recoome's a genetic freak and he's not normal. So Vegeta got a 25%, AT BEST, at beat him. Then you add Krillin to the mix, his chances of winning drastic go down. See the 3 way, at Namek, you got a 33 1/3 chance of winning, but Recoome's got a 66 and 2/3 chance of winning, because Krillin knows he can't beat Recoome and he's not even gonna try.

So Vegeta, you take his 33 1/3 chance, minus Recoome's 25% chance and you got an 8 1/3 chance of winning on Namek. But then you take Recoome's 75% chance of winning, if they were to go one on one, and then add 66 2/3 per cents, Recoome's got 141 2/3 chance of winning on Namek. See, when we're talking Vegeta, the numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for him on Namek.

:vince:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Mr Interweb posted:

Okay, just to be clear, all y'all are hate watching this show, right? Nobody legitimately likes DBS, right?

i sincerely love it and look forward to a huge majority of the episodes

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

i like arguing about power levels too but the numbers got too absurd so i decided to just argue and think about who is stronger than whom

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

the only recent thing i really didn't like was the weird disparity between SSG Goku giving beerus a bit of a workout (even if beerus was massively holding back) and Jiren being able to legit just stop all his attacks with one finger because that implies jiren is not only stronger than beerus (which, itself, is fine) but that jiren's like ludicrously leagues above beerus which seems silly

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

recoome is big and muscular so even if he has the same power level as vegeta hes still got more endurance

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

chiasaur11 posted:

It's pretty simple.

:allears:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

tbp posted:

the only recent thing i really didn't like was the weird disparity between SSG Goku giving beerus a bit of a workout (even if beerus was massively holding back) and Jiren being able to legit just stop all his attacks with one finger because that implies jiren is not only stronger than beerus (which, itself, is fine) but that jiren's like ludicrously leagues above beerus which seems silly

Beerus has been doing nothing but holding back massively anytime he's fought. He was barely trying when fighting SSG Goku, while Goku was going all out.

It's why Beerus didn't even remotely start to worry about Goku until he reached UI Omen. Blue is massively stronger than SSG, and Beerus still laughs off Goku, Vegeta and Golden Frieza.

Jiren is probably already at GoD level. Goku is also at that level(at least defensively) when he is in UI.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I mean, we know Jiren is above GoD level by a pretty significant margin already

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Kashuno posted:

I mean, we know Jiren is above GoD level by a pretty significant margin already

Yeah, he was stated to be stronger than their universe's GoD when he was first introduced.

Beerus is supposedly one of the stronger GoD's but yeah Jiren is probably stronger than him.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
You realize all this will be rendered insignificant once Beerus decides to train for 4 months.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Goku Black FighterZ Character Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOSJ9MGhZNQ

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Power Levels Are Bullshit

Old characters are getting way stronger because someone thought it would be fun to let guys like Krillen and Piccolo and 17 do cool poo poo after all this time

Dragon Ball has literally never been a logical story, it has always been about funny goofs and cool fights, DBS is just doing a better job of writing its story in a way that serves those two ends above everything else

Just have fun and watch people punch each other

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Spiritus Nox posted:

Power Levels Are Bullshit

Old characters are getting way stronger because someone thought it would be fun to let guys like Krillen and Piccolo and 17 do cool poo poo after all this time

Dragon Ball has literally never been a logical story, it has always been about funny goofs and cool fights, DBS is just doing a better job of writing its story in a way that serves those two ends above everything else

Just have fun and watch people punch each other

Nailed it.

The Buu Saga reduced like 75% of the cast into standing around and being absolutely useless in a fight. It's extremely cool and good to see Piccolo get to stretch his arms again, and it's really cool that Krillin is once again portrayed as a guy who's able to punch way above his weight through sheer force of will and being smart.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kashuno posted:

Goku Black FighterZ Character Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOSJ9MGhZNQ

Black is really good despite being something that should never be good.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
The only REAL power level question:

Do you think Jiren, UI Goku, and the Grand Priest could take Arale if they all teamed up?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Has anyone pre-ordered FighterZ on steam yet? You get Goku and Vegeta blue if you do?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

A Fancy Hat posted:

Nailed it.

The Buu Saga reduced like 75% of the cast into standing around and being absolutely useless in a fight. It's extremely cool and good to see Piccolo get to stretch his arms again, and it's really cool that Krillin is once again portrayed as a guy who's able to punch way above his weight through sheer force of will and being smart.

Yeah. Power Levels actively hurt the story by arbitrarily rendering huge numbers of distinctive and cool characters permanently obsolete. I’m glad they don’t matter anymore

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If power levels were still a thing we couldn’t have gotten the awesome poo poo that is 17 this season so gently caress those things

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Kashuno posted:

If power levels were still a thing we couldn’t have gotten the awesome poo poo that is 17 this season so gently caress those things

Checks out.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kashuno posted:

:yeah:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Kashuno posted:

:hai:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

chiasaur11 posted:

It's pretty simple.

HA?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Alan_Shore posted:

Has anyone pre-ordered FighterZ on steam yet? You get Goku and Vegeta blue if you do?

Yeah you get goku and vegeta as a pre-order bonus. People who pre order on consoles getting access the Beta this weekend.

Also random DBZ thought I can't believe I've been enjoying the TOP so much. I was hesitant on the idea when it first came out but it's been just a ton of fun.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Kashuno posted:

Or Krillin beating a furry up with his stinky shoes, or Master Roshi busting out all his weird martial arts master poo poo like hypnosis and the mafuba, or 18 threatening to murder Shin, or finally getting to see Piccolo take someone out with Hellzone Grenade after 20 years.

Having a giant cast of unique, lovable characters with their own quirks is totally pointless if only one or two of them are allowed to be relevant.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Meanwhile Tien and Gohan remain as useful as they have always been.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
What bugs me is it seems power levels don't exist for the heroes this arc, but if it would be to their advantage they just sort of activate again.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Pureauthor posted:

Meanwhile Tien and Gohan remain as useful as they have always been.

Tien's boring as hell, so I'm fine with that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The funny thing about people who focus on power levels as an easily quantifiable thing is that was never the point. Almost every single measure of power level is completely meaningless because the only people who buy into it are people who have no ability to quickly hide or raise their power or for who power level doesn't have a relevant influence. At bets they give a measure that someone is stronger without modifiers and then the main cast stacks modifiers like it's going out of style.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Kind of sucks that Tien used to be THE posterboy of punching above your weight (stalling Cell) but now he's just completely useless

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Flytrap posted:

The only REAL power level question:

Do you think Jiren, UI Goku, and the Grand Priest could take Arale if they all teamed up?

No.

I think Grand Priest has the best shot, and that's because he's used to handling Zeno. Goku I'm unsure on, and Jiren will likely be a net hindrance, unless he can loosen up a bit. Maybe he's a decent guy when the multiverse isn't at stake, I dunno.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Show already said Beerus will just erase Arale if she annoys him too much, so anyone that can hakai will beat her, anyone else, prolly not.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Darko posted:

Show already said Beerus will just erase Arale if she annoys him too much, so anyone that can hakai will beat her, anyone else, prolly not.

lol at a gag character not tossing off the hakai like nothing.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Beerus couldn't actually erase Arale unless he could find a way to make it funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Monaghan posted:

Yeah you get goku and vegeta as a pre-order bonus. People who pre order on consoles getting access the Beta this weekend.

I want to butt in because these are both technically correct but not the whole story.

Goku and Vegeta Blue are unlocked by playing the story mode (we don't know exactly how you get them through there), and pre-ordering just unlocks them for you immediately.

There is an OPEN beta this weekend on consoles on the 14th and 15th. If you pre-ordered the game from somewhere that gives you a code, which might only be the digital download stores, you get an extra day on the 13th.