Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
my brain is pretty loving bad this week so i'm just going to read water margin again and make little sotto voce "whoosh" and "pow" noises as i imagine the various punches and kicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

CestMoi posted:

Why weren't you before

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
my brain is also bad this week so im getting drunk a lot and reading northrop frye and richard fowler until i transcend my own mental limitations and become a Good Literary Critic

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I'm reading an Alan Burns book made using cut up techniques that I got from a very cluttered and completely unorganised book shop run by a bearded man and a dog, it's alright

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

chernobyl kinsman posted:

my brain is also bad this week so im getting drunk a lot and reading northrop frye and richard fowler until i transcend my own mental limitations and become a Good Literary Critic

I'm reading Sufism and Surrealism by Adonis and let me tell you: there are no such things as mental limitations. My brain is very good this week.;

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Poetry is good, here’s some nice poetry by hd I read:

and the ether
is heavier than the floor,

and the floor sags
like a ship floundering;

we know no rule
of procedure,

we are voyagers, discoverers
of the not-known,

the unrecorded;
we have no map;

possibly we will reach haven,
heaven.

Everybody give trilogy a read, esp if you like four quartets

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

J_RBG posted:

heaven.

booooooooo

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

It’s full of neat puns

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

That is not a neat pun my man

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

"the not-known" is the world's stupidest kenning

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Just cannot believe I'm being owned while surfing the web for my bad taste. It's good honest

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Jack B Nimble posted:

Some genre fiction, like say Frankenstein, is Literature because it invents the genre, yeah?

Has there been any of that after, say the last 50 years, or is it an idea we apply more or less retroactively to older works?

Neuromancer maybe?

Or, it's literature when it's not bound by genre conventions?

Edit: or my favorite novel ever, Gibson's less well known Spook Country.

Bad genre fiction treats the medium of writing as an obstacle. The nature of genre fiction is to eventually get bogged down with incestuous properties of their particular genres. They lose their tenuous connection with humanity and this is demonstrated by the fact that they get worse on re-reads and age horribly.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

J_RBG posted:

heaven.

i know cestmoi already posted 'boooooo' but i would also like to post 'boooooo'

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 7, 2018

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
If wanted lame puns I'd read Finnegans Wake.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

J_RBG posted:

heaven.

:how:

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 25, 2022

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

i know cestmoi already posted 'boooooo' but i would also like to post 'boooooo'

at the date posted:

If wanted lame puns I'd read Finnegans Wake.

hurt feelings ... the true cost of cyber-martyrdom

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

pleasecallmechrist posted:

Any thoughts on Thomas Wolfe, specifically Look Homeward, Angel? I read an excerpt in a baseball literary anthology and found out he was a favorite of William Gay, whom I hope everyone in this thread has read.

Three days ago I read Vanishing Point by David Markson, among whose thousands of facts about artists there was the implication that Thomas Wolfe was a fascist. I've also visited his childhood home in Asheville. I must have thought highly enough of him at that point to buy Look Homeward, Angel, but I haven't read it yet.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Wolfe writes excellent meals, LHA is worth it just for that. Its a big plotless bildungs roman with beautiful writing that sometimes suffocates.

at the date posted:

Three days ago I read Vanishing Point by David Markson, among whose thousands of facts about artists there was the implication that Thomas Wolfe was a fascist.

And thus he is good, as follows thread lore.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I've been reshelving my books, after moving over the New Year. I order them by author birth year, which means Thomas Wolfe is right next to Hemingway, who considered Wolfe to be everything wrong with American literature. I haven't read it yet, though.

That's my Thomas Wolfe story. Also, where the hell are those goddamn brackets to assemble the other shelves? I'm stalled out at Christopher Isherwood.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Seems an impractical shelving solution.

TheManFromFOXHOUND
Nov 5, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

And thus he is good, as follows thread lore.

Not to call you out or anything, but it's obvious that everyone in this thread skirts around this issue when someone brings it up. I've always felt weird when someone recommends Mishima, Pound, and now I guess Wolfe. When I read literature I expect the work to influence me in some way, so I'm not too excited to read fascist authors without an extremely critical eye. I'm pretty sure everyone acts so blasé around this issue because it's so difficult and honestly probably bigger than a thread about books on a dying, gay forum.

In closing, kill your local fascist, communism will win, etc. etc.

After The War posted:

I order them by author birth year
Also, why?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

TheManFromFOXHOUND posted:

Not to call you out or anything, but it's obvious that everyone in this thread skirts around this issue when someone brings it up. I've always felt weird when someone recommends Mishima, Pound, and now I guess Wolfe. When I read literature I expect the work to influence me in some way, so I'm not too excited to read fascist authors without an extremely critical eye. n, etc. etc.

if you read authors who have bad opinions or who have done bad things they will contaminate you,s piritually. the only safe texts are the pauline epistles

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

TheManFromFOXHOUND posted:

When I read literature I expect the work to influence me in some way, so I'm not too excited to read fascist authors without an extremely critical eye.

Do you think the fascist authors are going to influence you with their fascism just like that without you having any say in it

TheManFromFOXHOUND
Nov 5, 2011

if you read authors who have bad opinions or who have done bad things they will contaminate you,s piritually.

Yes, agreed.

the only safe texts are the pauline epistles

Marcionite scum, I only read the Apocrypha.

Ras Het posted:

Do you think the fascist authors are going to influence you with their fascism just like that without you having any say in it

Yes. I mean I expect to have a say in it, but I also expect to be influenced in ways I don't expect, and are bad.

TheManFromFOXHOUND fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 8, 2018

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ras Het posted:

its very important to never encounter any bad opinions lest they sneak across the berlin wall of correct belief which surrounds your brain and infiltrate your thoughts

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I wish mishima influenced me more so I could be a cool buff gay samurai

TheManFromFOXHOUND
Nov 5, 2011

its very important to never encounter any bad opinions lest they sneak across the berlin wall of correct belief which surrounds your brain and infiltrate your thoughts

I want to make it clear that I don't think you shouldn't read fascist authors. I plan to pick up The Temple of the Golden Pavilion this year. I'm just not a fan of the attitude I see in this thread that ignores or underestimates the influence of fascism in those works.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Aesthetic fascism is cool, and you know what, political fascism is too.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

After The War posted:

I've been reshelving my books, after moving over the New Year. I order them by author birth year, which means Thomas Wolfe is right next to Hemingway, who considered Wolfe to be everything wrong with American literature. I haven't read it yet, though.

I don't really understand why you would do this.

Organizing them based on the book's release date I kind of understand, but your way seems pointless.

Remains of the Day is good so far.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Franchescanado posted:

Organizing them based on the book's release date I kind of understand, but your way seems pointless.

This way you keep books of the same author together.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

cebrail posted:

This way you keep books of the same author together.

Then just organize it by the author's last name?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I organize them by color so my bookshelves are a nice chromatic scale

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/LaurynIpsum/status/949419391724044289

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

After reading the Cantos I've taken to organising my bookshelf into usurers and non usurers

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I use the map method as per Name of the Rose

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Franchescanado posted:

Regardless of anything else about it, I really liked how Clifton Fadiman's Lifetime Reading Plan is organized that way, which makes it a history of literature rather than just a list of authors. In practice, it automatically ends up grouping movements together, since most authors start publishing around the same age, and I like the visual reminder of which ones were contemporaries.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I mostly keep my books stacked in piles, and fantasize about them falling on top of me, crushing me to death, as I believe I've mentioned before.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Lauren is the type of person who owns exclusively thriller paperbacks she has never finished

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
i shelf books by their authors' political beliefs. the fascists are on the same shelves as communists, and there's a pentagram drawn with blood of the innocents in thhe middle