Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
It's interesting that the power level obsession is garbage.

But Kaioken multipliers are amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Can we go back to like Jiren chat or something

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i wish we could have seen their wedding. that was probably really funny

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I goddamn love the Kaioken and hope Goku keeps using it anyways

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I'd agree that SSB is kinda disappointing looking, but SSB Kaioken is loving rad and I'll fight you on that.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Kaioken Blue is probably my favorite form if only because aura stacking is cool as poo poo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sharrrk posted:

i wish we could have seen their wedding. that was probably really funny

Quick question:

Who is Vegeta's best man? Who is Bulma's Maid of Honor?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I just wish she could belt it like she did with them during the Saiyan Saga, though she was still making math fun with the ju bai da on Hit

No idea how she still keeps up as well as she does

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Quick question:

Tarble and Tights

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Piccolo to both

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Vegeta was probably so happy Goku wasn't there to gently caress up his wedding

^^Piccolo officiated along with Dende

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kashuno posted:

Can we go back to like Jiren chat or something

He's good.

Carlosologist posted:

Kaioken Blue is probably my favorite form if only because aura stacking is cool as poo poo

It's good.

Half of Dracula posted:

Piccolo to both

He's one of the best boys of all time.
If he wasn't an alien, he'd have a pompadour for certain.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ImpAtom posted:

Who is Vegeta's best man?

Yamcha.

quote:

Who is Bulma's Maid of Honor?

Also Yamcha.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Funky Valentine posted:

Yamcha.

Also Yamcha.

:v:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

If Vegeta looked more like Yamcha (without changing his personality at all), would that make Bulma more or less likely to dump Yamcha for him

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yamcha is maximum chance to get dumped by Bulma at all times, so external factors don't really influence it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Was Vegeta stuck on Jiren's energy beam this week an homage to the time he almost got blasted into orbit after the beam struggle in the Saiyan Saga? Kinda seemed like it. Or maybe getting hit with the spirit bomb a couple episodes later.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Black August posted:

If you're wondering how he trains and breathes
And other dragon facts,
Cha-la-la
Just repeat to yourself "It's just a show,
I should really just relax"

*Head-cha-la-la

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Quick question:

Probably Gohan and Tights

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/Bazoookles/status/950181411365052420

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Quick question:

Vegeta’s best man is clearly trunks. Not the baby, the future one. Not that future one the other future one.

Bulmas is probably... is puar a girl?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lmaoing at people who dont like db super

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Vegeta's best man is Goku because Bulma browbeats him into doing it and he knows it's true anyway.

As previously established the Maid of Honor is Yamcha.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Vegeta's best man is Goku because Bulma browbeats him into doing it and he knows it's true anyway.

As previously established the Maid of Honor is Yamcha.

Goku was dead at the time.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Barudak posted:

Bulmas is probably... is puar a girl?

You just know Bulma called up 18 just to keep her future husband in check.

"hey remember the time my maid of honor broke your bones after you thought you caught up with goku"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dias posted:

You just know Bulma called up 18 just to keep her future husband in check.

"hey remember the time my maid of honor broke your bones after you thought you caught up with goku"

I'd say "you probably shouldn't invite someone to your wedding who maimed your husband to be" and then I recalled that basically disqualifies almost everyone Bulma knows (except Yamcha). Even Krillin blew a hole through his chest.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Quick question:

Vegeta: "I AM THE BEST MAN!"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I'd say "you probably shouldn't invite someone to your wedding who maimed your husband to be" and then I recalled that basically disqualifies almost everyone Bulma knows (except Yamcha). Even Krillin blew a hole through his chest.

That rule basically leaves Chi-Chi and again, puar if puar is a girl.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ImpAtom posted:

Goku was dead at the time.

like that's ever stopped them

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Even Gohan punched the motherfucker right in his goddamn eye

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Spiritus Nox posted:

Gohan also crushed him half to death by accident while reverting from Great Ape form.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Spiritus Nox posted:

Man, I'm starting to think Gohan is the real rear end in a top hat here. What the gently caress, Gohan?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

For the record, I did mention early on that Z was pretty lovely in the consistency front as well.

- Vegeta at 18,000 was apparently strong enough to destroy Earth
- Vegeta barely getting a power boost after his battle with Goku, but matching first form Freeza after fighting Recoome
- Piccolo's weeklong training + fusion with Nail leading him to match second form Freeza
- Krillin somehow managing to outrun second form Freeza for any length of time
- A scientist from Earth creating some stupid looking robots stronger than Freeza
- Piccolo Merging with Kami making him stronger than said stupid looking robots
- Tien being able to hold back Cell for any length of time
- King Kai admitted he wasn't as strong as Nappa, yet, the next higher order deity just happens to be (in his own words) "a thousand times stronger than Freeza"

Yes, I totally agree all these things are incredibly stupid, and things that made me raise an eyebrow, even as a dumb teenager. But while it's true that DBZ is honestly a terribly written series, my point is that there seemed to be some rules that were established.

People want to brush off the series dumber plot points by saying it's a gag series, but it's not really. It's an action/adventure series that just happens to have a lot of gags. But it's not like say something like One Punch Man, where it's so obvious that nothing should be taken seriously when you have a guy being able to jump to the moon by literally doing a bunch of pushups.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

Gohan also crushed him half to death by accident while reverting from Great Ape form.

Punching him in the eye was funnier IMO because it was deliberate and the reaction shot on Vegeta has him with this great "I can't believe that just loving happened to me" expresison

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

People want to brush off the series dumber plot points by saying it's a gag series, but it's not really. It's an action/adventure series that just happens to have a lot of gags. But it's not like say something like One Punch Man, where it's so obvious that nothing should be taken seriously when you have a guy being able to jump to the moon by literally doing a bunch of pushups.

... Um?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Excuse me, he got carried there by a magical extending stick (and later blown the gently caress up by a wizened old man), that's completely differet

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

For the record, I did mention early on that Z was pretty lovely in the consistency front as well.

- Vegeta at 18,000 was apparently strong enough to destroy Earth
- Vegeta barely getting a power boost after his battle with Goku, but matching first form Freeza after fighting Recoome
- Piccolo's weeklong training + fusion with Nail leading him to match second form Freeza
- Krillin somehow managing to outrun second form Freeza for any length of time
- A scientist from Earth creating some stupid looking robots stronger than Freeza
- Piccolo Merging with Kami making him stronger than said stupid looking robots
- Tien being able to hold back Cell for any length of time
- King Kai admitted he wasn't as strong as Nappa, yet, the next higher order deity just happens to be (in his own words) "a thousand times stronger than Freeza"

Yes, I totally agree all these things are incredibly stupid, and things that made me raise an eyebrow, even as a dumb teenager. But while it's true that DBZ is honestly a terribly written series, my point is that there seemed to be some rules that were established.

:thunk:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The first proper antagonistic force in Dragon Ball was formed because the leader wanted to wish himself taller.

Frieza's strongest henchmen are a Super Sentai parody because Toriyama saw his kids watching it and figured they'd get a kick out of it.

Buu's name is taken off a magic spell from a Disney movie.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mr Interweb posted:

Is amusing that (arguably) the strongest writing on the entire franchise is found on the original DB that was a gag series for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Figured someone would mention this.

Still, the criticism was for DBZ and beyond.