Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

Facebook Aunt posted:

Want to come back to my place and see my demon/goat skull collection?

Later we can watch a movie on my filthy wall projector. I'm so cool and unique.

Looks like a more grown up version of the house from
Viva La Bam. The idea is cool but whoever designed it has bad taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Digging the chair made of polar bear cubs.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Also hard walls and hard floors would be about the worst possible scenario for anywhere you'd want a projector. Echoes make for terrible tv/movie watching.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

deoju posted:

A new take on the whole "throne of the skulls of your enemies" concept.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Youth Decay posted:

Not sure about the stairs leading directly to the master bathroom.

The most voyeuristic bathroom, ever.

deoju posted:

Oh, it's worse than that. Those are baby seals.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Slugworth posted:

I'm the two copies of the Harry Potter series.

Two nerds* got together :3:

Also, bookshelves next to windows make me fear sun-bleaching of covers, but maybe window facing will prevent that?

deoju posted:

Harp Seal pups imo. Something something "clubbing seals" something...

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
If you go on vacation, let a water pipe drip somewhere a little, else,

click for big,

been happening a lot this year for some reason.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The juxtaposition of the office drop ceiling and the residential kitchen is loving me up almost as much as the ice sculpture.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Lime Tonics posted:

If you go on vacation, let a water pipe drip somewhere a little, else,

click for big,

been happening a lot this year for some reason.

Or leave the heat on.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Youth Decay posted:

To the guy who wanted to live in a garage: this place is for you.

Can you imagine how freezing cold that place would be? Wide open floor plans are nice, but really hard to heat, especially bathrooms, and most especially when the entire structure is brick and filthy concrete. Add in a garage door in the living area and that has to be frigid as all get out this time of year.

The owner's house is totally a party pad. There's a huge breakfast bar, huge alcohol-type bar, giant table, and itty bitty comfy seating area. And porsche.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Bonster posted:

Can you imagine how freezing cold that place would be? Wide open floor plans are nice, but really hard to heat, especially bathrooms,

I think you just explained the open stairway to the bathroom.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Lime Tonics posted:

If you go on vacation, let a water pipe drip somewhere a little

It's cheaper to turn the water off. That way, even if you did forget to keep the heat on and the pipes burst, there won't be a frozen waterfall somewhere and you stand a better chance of finding your new leak as soon as it happens.

mshade
Jul 13, 2001

Darchangel posted:

The most voyeuristic bathroom, ever.

Oh, it's worse than that. Those are baby seals.

Surprisingly that baby seal chair is the least creepy of the collection:
Vintage chairs embellished with stuffed animals

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

kid sinister posted:

It's cheaper to turn the water off. That way, even if you did forget to keep the heat on and the pipes burst, there won't be a frozen waterfall somewhere and you stand a better chance of finding your new leak as soon as it happens.

Well, turn it off and drain your pipes down. Plus RV antifreeze in your toilet bowls and tanks. Elsewise, have fun locating the sixteen pipe freeze ruptures randomly sprinkled about your castle.

I have seen waaay too much of this over the past 35-years.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

mshade posted:

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
The plumber who posted this on facebook says this water heater is apparently a 1983 model:

At least the homeowner put dope on the threads :v:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Farmdizzle posted:

The plumber who posted this on facebook says this water heater is apparently a 1983 model:

At least the homeowner put dope on the threads :v:

Yeah, well otherwise he'd have to tighten the motherfuck out of it, and probably crack the fitting.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Bonster posted:

Can you imagine how freezing cold that place would be? Wide open floor plans are nice, but really hard to heat, especially bathrooms, and most especially when the entire structure is brick and filthy concrete. Add in a garage door in the living area and that has to be frigid as all get out this time of year.

The owner's house is totally a party pad. There's a huge breakfast bar, huge alcohol-type bar, giant table, and itty bitty comfy seating area. And porsche.

Lived in a garage for a short period of my life. Can confirm, cold as poo poo.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

mshade posted:

:randno:

These probably count as crappy construction. If the chairs get used on a regular basis the animals on the seat are going to flattened and gross looking within a few months. You could delay flattening by filling the heads with firm high density foam, but that would make the chairs too bumpy and uncomfortable to sit in. Form over function to the point of being unusable.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

PainterofCrap posted:

Well, turn it off and drain your pipes down. Plus RV antifreeze in your toilet bowls and tanks. Elsewise, have fun locating the sixteen pipe freeze ruptures randomly sprinkled about your castle.

I have seen waaay too much of this over the past 35-years.

I'm sure I'm probably Doing It Wrong, but when going on a long vacation, I've always done the following:

1. Turn off the water at the main water cutoff from the street. That kills all water coming into the apt/house.
2. Turn on all the faucets to drain or allow for expansion if the water is getting close to freezing for some insane reason.
3. Turn off the breaker for the hot water heater, so if it somehow drains down too low, it doesn't burn up or fry itself.
4. Set all my thermostats to "Vacation" mode, which I've set to 10C/50F. Alternately, set them to 5C/40F if you want.
5. Freeze a glass of water and then put it in the freezer with a coin on top of it, so you know whether your power went out for long enough to spoil food.

This has done okay for me so far, but YMMV, and there might be some fatal flaw to my plan that I'm not noticing.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Goredema posted:

5. Freeze a glass of water and then put it in the freezer with a coin on top of it, so you know whether your power went out for long enough to spoil food.

Some goddamn life hacks up in here. Wish I'd thought of that before I realised my fridge was defrosting the meat in my freezer compartment overnight and refreezing in the morning. For two weeks.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Jaded Burnout posted:

Some goddamn life hacks up in here. Wish I'd thought of that before I realised my fridge was defrosting the meat in my freezer compartment overnight and refreezing in the morning. For two weeks.

Did you figure that one out the hard way while on the shitter?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

kid sinister posted:

Did you figure that one out the hard way while on the shitter?

Sort of. The second time I noticed the food was not quite as rigid as I expected I put two and (number) two together. I thought I'd been cooking it wrong somehow.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Find all of the issues he doesn't point out. I noticed some similar techniques as seen in an infamous bathroom remodeling thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VAP4V69SOA

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FogHelmut posted:

Find all of the issues he doesn't point out. I noticed some similar techniques as seen in an infamous bathroom remodeling thread.

I like how the pex that supposedly goes under the floor changes color at some point.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Goredema posted:

I'm sure I'm probably Doing It Wrong, but when going on a long vacation, I've always done the following:

1. Turn off the water at the main water cutoff from the street. That kills all water coming into the apt/house.
2. Turn on all the faucets to drain or allow for expansion if the water is getting close to freezing for some insane reason.
3. Turn off the breaker for the hot water heater, so if it somehow drains down too low, it doesn't burn up or fry itself.
4. Set all my thermostats to "Vacation" mode, which I've set to 10C/50F. Alternately, set them to 5C/40F if you want.

This has done okay for me so far, but YMMV, and there might be some fatal flaw to my plan that I'm not noticing.

#5=brilliant.

Going away for a couple weeks shouldn't cause the level in your water heater to drop. There is also a 'vacation' setting on most water heaters to avoid creating a science project inside.

Were I totally anal and free with my money, I would consider investing in the sensor system that automatically cuts off your water when there's a leak. It's possble to set them for individual runs, I believe, so the whole house doesn't just cut off while you're in the shower.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

I'd heard of leaving loose ice cubes out in your freezer, then checking to see if they were still intact, but the coin trick is quite a good one! If any water refreezes over the top of it, you know something went wrong.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

$10k on labor for that bathroom and they installed basically every tile they could crooked?

Let's see, he missed the PVC cap on the ABS drain for the old sink line. You need a special glue for that, and judging by the contractor resorting to using a sharkbite, they didn't use it. That being said, most of the tile poo poo he was talking about wasn't that there was anything "wrong" per se, but rather the contractor just did a really lovely job for the price.

Also, if I spoke with my contractor about my concerns during a job like he recommended, but hired a guy like this to do it, he'd tell me to gently caress off, he knows what he's doing.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 10, 2018

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

FogHelmut posted:

I love videos like this. It makes me feel slightly more competent when I DIY the odd job here and there.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

PainterofCrap posted:

#5=brilliant.

Going away for a couple weeks shouldn't cause the level in your water heater to drop. There is also a 'vacation' setting on most water heaters to avoid creating a science project inside.

My combi boiler has 'frost protection', where it automatically runs if the water temp drops too low. I think it kicks in at 5C and heats it to 10C.

I am also doing no5 when I next go away.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

couldcareless posted:

I love videos like this. It makes me feel slightly more competent when I DIY the odd job here and there.

"It's like a 5 year old that's blind and on meth that did this work."

urzaserra256
Nov 29, 2009
On that bathroom, the tiling is done so badly that id expect cracked tiles and leaks everywhere. The video didnt say much if anything about electrical problems, but i would bet there is a ton of those too, what are the chances someone makes/allows such awful plumbing and tiling issues would do good on the electrical?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

edit: oh God:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

It's a bathtub inspired by the zoo's gift shop

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Darchangel posted:

edit: oh God:

:stare: I can smell this bathtub.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

When fuzzy toilet seat covers mutate.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Facebook Aunt posted:

Want to come back to my place and see my demon/goat skull collection?

Later we can watch a movie on my filthy wall projector. I'm so cool and unique.

I kinda like this, aside from the implied projector setup.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.trulia.com/homes/Minnesota/Minneapolis/sold/20343043-3359-Tyler-St-NE-Minneapolis-MN-55418

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Oh lord. Do click through on that link. Those photos sure are something.