Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Some Numbers posted:

I used the Tampa shop because it came out to less overall.

Same. Love them. Arrived in like 3 days across country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Some Numbers posted:

My Tinkerer is looking at putting a Strengthen enhancement on his Shield 1 all allies card. If he did that and it went off before me and I do two attacks, do I get Strengthen on both?

Would our Spellweaver get Strengthen on the entire Fire Orbs?

I looked at this, and note that the shield 1 allies card doesn't have an enhancement dot last I checked.

Enhancing the Tinkerer's buffs is pretty tough. Only the single target ones have any space that I spotted.

In general, getting multitarget Bless and Strengthen is super tough.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

I used the Tampa one too and had mine super quickly (2 days to Boston). Only complaint is the elite ones are much more tan than gold/yellow but nothing a can of yellow spray paint can’t fix.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

thespaceinvader posted:

I looked at this, and note that the shield 1 allies card doesn't have an enhancement dot last I checked.

Enhancing the Tinkerer's buffs is pretty tough. Only the single target ones have any space that I spotted.

In general, getting multitarget Bless and Strengthen is super tough.
I haven't looked at my actual copy, but I found this on the internet:

Could it be a 1st vs 2nd edition thing?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Nah I'm just mistaken. I was thinking of Enhancement Field maybe?

Trouble with either is that it's super hard t o pull off using them effectively. Your allies have to start adjacent to you, because you don't get any top row movement.

Useful maybe in the first round of combat if you go first, but Flamethrower just isn't all that good.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, I also didn't get the Mindthief until I worked out that you should basically always be using the +2 damage augment. I turn that poo poo on in round 1, and run around stabbing folks. Summons seem to be more of a headache than they're worth - they always seem to be standing where I want to stand, and you're losing a card to get them onto the field, which is a big deal.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Summons CAN be effective, but they mostly only work on one maybe two rooms - the right ones can tank a good few hits though.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Some Numbers posted:

I used the Tampa shop because it came out to less overall.

:same:

I wish Gloomy Companion included each monster's max health. If it did I'd never need to get out the monster squares, as it already does the math for range and damage while making note of special immunities and movement modes.

At this point I'm only getting them out to know hit points, so that would cut another couple of minutes off of setting up each mission.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Ranged summons are infinitely more useful in our experience, but the melee ones with 5 or 6 HP can still find their use - the nice thing people overlook in their utility is that they use your modifier deck which can bring out whatever rolling modifiers or conditions you've stacked in there. Also summons that come from items since they're at worst a meat shield that saves you a potential card loss.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

KPC_Mammon posted:

Gloomy Companion

:stare: I did not know this existed. Is there a mobile version of this?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Kiranamos posted:

Ranged summons are infinitely more useful in our experience, but the melee ones with 5 or 6 HP can still find their use - the nice thing people overlook in their utility is that they use your modifier deck which can bring out whatever rolling modifiers or conditions you've stacked in there. Also summons that come from items since they're at worst a meat shield that saves you a potential card loss.

loving skeleton from the ring of skulls ended up making one of my turns utterly worthless as it blocked a doorway

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Some Numbers posted:

:stare: I did not know this existed. Is there a mobile version of this?

Surely your phone has a web browser, just go here: https://johreh.github.io/gloomycompanion/

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Oh that's way better then the app I was using. Also yeah. How does it not tell you health?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Countblanc posted:

Surely your phone has a web browser, just go here: https://johreh.github.io/gloomycompanion/

I guess there's that, sure.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I don't care for summons. I feel a lot of pressure to keep moving. And dropping something that wont act until next round doesn't work most times. If I am close enough to things where it would work, it usually just dies. Yeah I always feel like I could have killed that with a different card.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I get that sorting through a bunch of drat monster stat blocks isn't the worst thing in the world, but between the file folder for map tiles, plano boxes for standees, and not needing the monster ai decks, it is the worst part of Gloomhaven setup. It doesn't help that something about their texture also makes it hard to quickly flip through them.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
My attempt at organising was to put the monster stat card and all the standees in an envelope - so you just grab the one envelope and you have everything.

I underestimated how much space that would take up, but I think the concept is sound.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Gort posted:

Yeah, I also didn't get the Mindthief until I worked out that you should basically always be using the +2 damage augment. I turn that poo poo on in round 1, and run around stabbing folks. Summons seem to be more of a headache than they're worth - they always seem to be standing where I want to stand, and you're losing a card to get them onto the field, which is a big deal.

I'm the mindthief in my group and--at least subjectively--it seems a trickier class to play than most of the other starters. I'm curious to see how things develop past level one, but right out of the box they're sort of a jack of all trades class in that, even with augments, they won't ever out-stab a scoundrel, or out-debuff the cragheart, etc. but instead have the benefit of being generally good at most things.

Ironically, despite the pitiful life total, the one thing they do best might be survivability, given non-loss sources of invisibility, stun, self-healing, and jump-move.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

As mind thief levels he hits harder and gets more control powers. To the point where you can be very clever and destroy a rooms threat in a single card. It's very fun.

Especially level 1 you should almost always have +2 on. Also check out your x cards. I think I used all 3 over level 1 cards. Which is not the case with every class.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Just so I know, how do X cards work with enhancements? What level do they count as?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Just so I know, how do X cards work with enhancements? What level do they count as?

They are just level 1 cards, generally a bit more complicated/ situational use. The game doesn't want you worried about them for your first play. But after a few scenarios, take a hard look at them and see if there's any cards you just haven't been using like you thought.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

They are just level 1 cards, generally a bit more complicated/ situational use. The game doesn't want you worried about them for your first play. But after a few scenarios, take a hard look at them and see if there's any cards you just haven't been using like you thought.

Yup, I'm already there. I really like Heaving Swing.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Looks like the Jan 19 retail street date is being confirmed. I asked Boardlandoa and they said they're getting copies in over the next week and will be shipping out ASAP.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I started a third campaign with another group of friends. It was also my first time playing with a group of four.

It was awesome. It plays quite differently from my usual two player games, but still pretty fast. The two completely new players picked it up by the second room.

I'm really liking the Cragheart at high player counts, there are so many people to throw boulders at.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
Been playing a lot of Gloomhaven lately so I ended up getting the Laserox insert.
Took about 3-4 hours of assembling, but it's made setup and teardown a breeze!

The tinkerer in my group ended up getting the first retirement, unlocking the two mini class. His quest was to kill a bunch of elite monsters, which was fairly easy with the Tinkerer's loss cards.
Now I'm in kind of a bind myself with my personal quest. Kill 15 vermlings. I've only killed 4 so far and I'm nearly level 7. Do you guys just replay scenarios to get your personal quest done? The only scenario available to us right now with vermlings has a lot of oozes and is a bit of a pain in the rear end.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Does anyone with the 3d-printed stands know if they'll fit in the Broken Token organizer's spot?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Some Numbers posted:

Yup, I'm already there. I really like Heaving Swing.

Heaving Swing is another good target for enhancement for the Cragheart, putting +1 on the Push is cheap and makes it a lot easier to throw enemies into tables like you're at a Buffalo Bills tailgate

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

MG42 posted:

Been playing a lot of Gloomhaven lately so I ended up getting the Laserox insert.
Took about 3-4 hours of assembling, but it's made setup and teardown a breeze!

The tinkerer in my group ended up getting the first retirement, unlocking the two mini class. His quest was to kill a bunch of elite monsters, which was fairly easy with the Tinkerer's loss cards.
Now I'm in kind of a bind myself with my personal quest. Kill 15 vermlings. I've only killed 4 so far and I'm nearly level 7. Do you guys just replay scenarios to get your personal quest done? The only scenario available to us right now with vermlings has a lot of oozes and is a bit of a pain in the rear end.

I think I would have accomplished that in one scenario with helping Jekserah retrieve the diamond from the mine.

Rules question: If a boss summons adds, like that first boss who spawns Living Bones, do they act immediately? If the add acted that round at 50 and the boss summons them at 70? If the boss summons at 50 and the add acts at 70? It seems clear that actual summons don't do anything immediately, and monsters that spawn as part of end of round don't do anything, but what about boss adds?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Nephzinho posted:

I think I would have accomplished that in one scenario with helping Jekserah retrieve the diamond from the mine.

Rules question: If a boss summons adds, like that first boss who spawns Living Bones, do they act immediately? If the add acted that round at 50 and the boss summons them at 70? If the boss summons at 50 and the add acts at 70? It seems clear that actual summons don't do anything immediately, and monsters that spawn as part of end of round don't do anything, but what about boss adds?
Boss adds are just treated as normal summons AFAIK, and they don't act on the turn they are summoned.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Tekopo posted:

Boss adds are just treated as normal summons AFAIK, and they don't act on the turn they are summoned.

I think we have played it both ways now with the two bosses we faced and it ranged from "wouldn't have mattered" those vermling crumbled to Scoundrelto "that would've hurt but would have immediately not mattered" see: living bones "all attacks target one target" action.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

We used a different scenario, but also just did it in one sidequest. It was ridiculous.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

Nephzinho posted:

We sadly chose a different route, locking us out of that scenario chain. :downs:
I guess I'll just have to hope we get a sidequest with vermlings.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

MG42 posted:

We sadly chose a different route, locking us out of that scenario chain. :downs:
I guess I'll just have to hope we get a sidequest with vermlings.

Or play casual mode to see the scenario. Those kills count towards retirement. You also get treasure the first time. You just don't get end of scenario rewards.

So you might get a sweet item and kill 5 feelings. But no prosperity or whatever.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Bombadilillo posted:

Or play casual mode to see the scenario. Those kills count towards retirement. You also get treasure the first time. You just don't get end of scenario rewards.

So you might get a sweet item and kill 5 feelings. But no prosperity or whatever.

If playing RAW, can't do casual scenarios you haven't unlocked.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

If playing RAW, can't do casual scenarios you haven't unlocked.

I'm pretty sure it is nearly impossible to not unlock that scenario though.

Maybe if you Side with the cultists and not go to the Inox camp?

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

Bombadilillo posted:

Welp, do I feel dumb. :downs: I hadn't realized you could play scenarios in casual mode despite achievements locking them out. (just looked it up in the rulebook.)
Thanks! Now I can finally complete my personal quest.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

MG42 posted:

Welp, do I feel dumb. :downs: I hadn't realized you could play scenarios in casual mode despite achievements locking them out. (just looked it up in the rulebook.)

The class you unlock is awesome. I relegated sun to being the 3rd wheel to make it my main character.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

MG42 posted:

No problem. You can also play the card generated scenarios. That more random. But I had kill 20 different enemies and I got stuck 1 shy for like 5 scenarios. I could have just popped one of those and seen one almost guaranteed.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I had to take a step back when I almost completed my goal. I mean, if you complete it you basically ax your character... and I want to use that tasty loving level 9 spellweaver card. 3 damage to everything in the room?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I had fun with my Brute but by level 5-6 I was basically a steamroller so I couldn't really see myself going up to level 9. Also I didn't want to complete too many scenarios, so that I could keep the game fresh by trying other classes. So even though I will miss him, I basically retired him as soon as was feasible. Still haven't tried my new class though.