Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

HGH posted:

Something that bothers me about Dyspo being a more relevant threat than he looked, is that in his first appearance was being clowned on by some random robot before Toppo had to save him. I guess they didn't have him all planned out back then?

hes cocky and lets random poo poo get in the way of performing well. goku's first episode in this tournament was some utterly forgettable background character getting so far as to jump off the stage with him in his arms lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

HGH posted:

Something that bothers me about Dyspo being a more relevant threat than he looked, is that in his first appearance was being clowned on by some random robot before Toppo had to save him. I guess they didn't have him all planned out back then?

Maybe it was a real strong robbit

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Have there been any rumblings whatsoever about US releases of stuff like Son Goku and His Friends Return or Episode of Bardock?

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

jivjov posted:

Have there been any rumblings whatsoever about US releases of stuff like Son Goku and His Friends Return or Episode of Bardock?

That's probably never going to happen. There aren't nearly enough people in the US who care about those specials to justify doing it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

TrilliontonNixon posted:

That's probably never going to happen. There aren't nearly enough people in the US who care about those specials to justify doing it.

Shame...maybe one day they'll get tossed on a Super box release as a bonus feature or something.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I get why you'd want Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return, but why would you want Episode of Bardock? A dub won't save that terrible mess of a special.

If you want that, just watch the Abridged version, it fixes a lot of the problems Episode of Bardock had.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Blaze Dragon posted:

I get why you'd want Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return, but why would you want Episode of Bardock? A dub won't save that terrible mess of a special.

If you want that, just watch the Abridged version, it fixes a lot of the problems Episode of Bardock had.

Oh I don't even need a dub; just an official release I don't have to import

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

HGH posted:

To be fair it seems like that random giant alien could probably have beat most of the tournament on its own.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Blaze Dragon posted:

More Bardock is never a bad thing. And him man handling Chilled never gets old.

:colbert:

Is funny how the 30th anniversary timeline actually had an entry for it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I will never understand Bardock's absurd popularity. He's in one decent TV special, one terrible OVA and a variety of mediocre fanservice games, but he's more popular than Goku and Vegeta in the hardcore fandom?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I just finished the zamasu arc or whatever you call it, did they really send trunks and mai back to their own universe before all the bad stuff happened but zamasu dead. Which then means there will be two sets of Mai and Trunks???? 🤔:thunk:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

track day bro! posted:

I just finished the zamasu arc or whatever you call it, did they really send trunks and mai back to their own universe before all the bad stuff happened but zamasu dead. Which then means there will be two sets of Mai and Trunks???? 🤔:thunk:

They actually sent them to a universe that never got bad in the first place that already has a Mai and Trunks!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
the cabba special is one of my least favorite db related things lol

its just incredibly bad and hurts vegetas character to make him have a brother so im glad they just pretend it doesn't really exist

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

multijoe posted:

I will never understand Bardock's absurd popularity. He's in one decent TV special, one terrible OVA and a variety of mediocre fanservice games, but he's more popular than Goku and Vegeta in the hardcore fandom?

He's Goku but extremely try-hard and serious. If you can't get into Goku's lovable goofball qualities I guess that's all you're left with?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

tbp posted:

its just incredibly bad and hurts vegetas character to make him have a brother so im glad they just pretend it doesn't really exist

I love how Cabba is so blatantly Tarble but less trash that people can't help but mix the two up.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

multijoe posted:

Is a known fact that people loves rugged badassess with scars.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Where's the Caulifla special?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

a cartoon duck posted:

He's Goku but extremely try-hard and serious. If you can't get into Goku's lovable goofball qualities I guess that's all you're left with?

The fandom never fails to disappoint.

Meanwhile Kefla canonically becomes the cheesiest, over the top fanfic character ever and everyone hates her. There is no justice in this world.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Kefla is loved around these parts, but I guess we don't represent the majority; but I feel that her personality is Caulifla, but with infinite energy. Where's Kale in there? at least with Vegito you can tell there's some of Goku and some of Vegeta

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Glagha posted:

Where's the Caulifla special?

December if we're lucky

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Obviously the personality being Caulifla is showing what part of it is Kale, because Kale would totally give full control to Caulifla.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ehh, I think there's more of Kale in there than most people give credit for.

Obviously Kefla has Caulifla's ego and bravado which makes up the most visible part of the character, but she also has Kale's insecurity and hair-trigger temper. I don't think by herself Caulifla would ever actually try to kill Goku in the same way Kefla does with her final attack.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I liked the universe 6 Saiyans. Wouldn’t mind a few specials with them and Vegita and Gohan in mentor or guest roles to help in main event fight. By themselves they’re okay but with Vegita to play off of then it works to carry a special.

I didn’t come into Super until this tournament and am missing Bulma, ChiChi, Gotenks, Dende and Yajirobe and Satan. Also needs more Abridged.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 12, 2018

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Kashuno posted:

Gohan is seriously a major disappointment in Super and if the spoilers for the next episode are anything to go by, he gets worse.

also RIP Android 17, your only flaw was relying on Gohan

He's just too good a guy to hurt his friends, even when they ask for it. I'm sure Gohan will do something to make up for it later.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I'm not disappointed with Gohan, mainly because I never had any expectations for him in the first place.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

tbp posted:

The US dub sure agrees as it still not been dubbed yet. And his brother hasn't showed up in any games probably beyond Heroes yet but that not saying much since Heroes probably has Super Saiyan Level 4 Beyond Blue Farmer with a Shotgun as a hero at this point.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Carlosologist posted:

Kefla is loved around these parts, but I guess we don't represent the majority; but I feel that her personality is Caulifla, but with infinite energy. Where's Kale in there? at least with Vegito you can tell there's some of Goku and some of Vegeta

Kale is at her most confident when close to her BFF, and you can't get much closer than a fusion.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

So, why hasn't Jiren just gone full power and knocked U7 out again? He's not obsessed with having a cool fight like Goku and Vegeta, so why doesn't he just finish it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

So, why hasn't Jiren just gone full power and knocked U7 out again? He's not obsessed with having a cool fight like Goku and Vegeta, so why doesn't he just finish it?

The ongoing theory is that Jiren isn't really comfortable being being responsible for the destruction of a universe and really really doesn't want to be fighting. Even when he was fighting Goku the plan was "beat Goku and it demormalizes everyone else" rather than "This is just the start."

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

khwarezm posted:

He's just too good a guy to hurt his friends, even when they ask for it. I'm sure Gohan will do something to make up for it later.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
He doesn't want to erase a Universe because he's a hero.

Even though he smugly asked how Goku enjoyed the last victory he'll ever get, and stomped on the back of his neck the last time they fought.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Justin_Brett posted:

Even though he smugly asked how Goku enjoyed the last victory he'll ever get, and stomped on the back of his neck the last time they fought.

Eh, that makes sense if he thinks Goku is a villain or something.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

The ongoing theory is that Jiren isn't really comfortable being being responsible for the destruction of a universe and really really doesn't want to be fighting. Even when he was fighting Goku the plan was "beat Goku and it demormalizes everyone else" rather than "This is just the start."

Justin_Brett posted:

I mean if this is the case, I'd wish they'd make it clear (in the anime). If only to give him some kind of personality trait aside from being really really strong.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I feel like the anime wants Jiren being a nice guy who hates being responsible for other people's deaths be a plot twist, except it's not gonna work anymore because the manga already established that first thing and I sincerely doubt the core character traits and motivation of the main antagonist will differ wildly between anime and manga.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Rirse posted:

The US dub sure agrees as it still not been dubbed yet. And his brother hasn't showed up in any games probably beyond Heroes yet but that not saying much since Heroes probably has Super Saiyan Level 4 Beyond Blue Farmer with a Shotgun as a hero at this point.

He showed up in one of the older fighting games too. I remember because he had a special attack where he crashed a Saiyan pod into his opponent.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hot take: the anime made a good call by initially portraying Jiren as an stoic, unreadable character. If they'd come out the gate with 'Jiren is actually insanely nice and good and doesn't even want to be here' it'd have made him much less foreboding in the lead up to the special.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://twitter.com/iden_taji/status/951846807700520960

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Jiren torturing Vegeta was weird.

Jiren: You are weak because you are arrogant
Vegeta: I AM ARROGANT BECAUSE gently caress YOU
Jiren: ok bitch you aren't learning.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

multijoe posted:

Hot take: the anime made a good call by initially portraying Jiren as an stoic, unreadable character. If they'd come out the gate with 'Jiren is actually insanely nice and good and doesn't even want to be here' it'd have made him much less foreboding in the lead up to the special.

Agreed. I think it's probably past time to put that on-screen, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

aegof posted:

Agreed. I think it's probably past time to put that on-screen, though.

it'll probably not come up until he has the opportunity to do it