Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I finished The Box Man by Kobo Abe and I'm very confused but it was cool. I liked the part about dreaming you're a fish the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Ordered the Divine Comedy as per OP's recommendation on a whim and I didn't even realize it was poetry
Reading translated poetry is pretty dumb gently caress you OP

Thankfully I also got the Master and Margarita in the original Russian in the same order so I'll have something good to read in its original language
E: not OP I guess, the 6th reply
also not serious
Maybe it doesn't matter as much as reading e.g. Pushkin in English, I do think you lose a huge amount there because the rhyme and meter is so strict

feelix fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 17, 2018

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I am very well informed and smart and have extremely strong opinions about reading poetry in translation, despite being unaware that one of the most famous poems of all time was a poem

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

feelix posted:

Ordered the Divine Comedy as per OP's recommendation on a whim and I didn't even realize it was poetry

you're gonna be a lot madder when you start reading it and realize there arent even any jokes

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

feelix posted:

Gass' essay "to a young man charged with possession of the classics" comes inevitably to mind. This fuckin' guy actually bought Dante somehow without knowing. Like, there's the Iliad, fuckin' Shakespeare, and the Comedy.

It's only the most famous poem ever written, it invented the Italian language, it's on the very shortest list of the most important artistic works in human history, but it's translated poetry gently caress you OP.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
OK I'll return it I'm not worthy thanks for the advice

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I only wanted to read it because a lot of video and tabletop game settings are based on it but it's probably not as good as Starship Troopers anyway

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Bideogayms are art

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

feelix posted:

I only wanted to read it because a lot of video and tabletop game settings are based on it but it's probably not as good as Starship Troopers anyway

youre trying too hard, if you wanted to troll this thread you should have just said that you dont understand the difference between lit and genre fic and we'd have been arguing with each other for two pages, min

derp posted:

Bideogayms are art

to be fair the Inferno game takes a 14k line piece of medieval poetry - an extended meditation upon sin, the human condition and the necessity of salvation - and makes it into a game where you use a bone-scythe to slay giant cleopatra while she births demonic cherubim from her nipple-mouths. that really does border on art, even if only accidentally

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 17, 2018

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
If you don't think video games are unequivocally art, you really are a clueless out-of-touch snob that's incapable of critical thinking.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

feelix posted:

If you don't think video games are unequivocally art, you really are a clueless out-of-touch snob that's incapable of critical thinking.

Guess what pal: I am all of those things

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
(mournful but defiant, like a modern-day accomplice of spartacus): i am dumb as poo poo

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
the only written media that is still art in 2k18 are japanese light novels where the protagonist is trapped in a parallel world driven by fantasy rpg tropes

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

The inferno is no more about sin than the trial is about bureaucracy

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

What's more video games such as super Mario Bros 3 create a moment of recognition of the Absolute, and the distillation of the Universal Will into pure Ideas and as such, are art

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

feelix posted:

Not "that", "who"

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

feelix posted:

Yeah but on the plus side I'm not an adult who plays league of legends

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
imagine trying to troll a thread full of trolls

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I should move this thread to Games just to see what happens

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

feelix posted:

Videogames aren't unequivocally art. Some videogames are, sure. However, something being considered art doesn't mean it's good. Most art sucks.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
True art is a mirror into ones soul, an exploration of personal subjectivity. One should learn more about oneself through the experience.

For that reason hentai games are art for in choosing a waifu you discover the truth of yourself

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
my girlfriend got super mario odyssey and yesterday i watched her use a haunted hat to mind-control a t. rex into slaughtering a bunch of colorful hedgehogs. that's art as hell

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

my girlfriend got super mario odyssey and yesterday i watched her use a haunted hat to mind-control a t. rex into slaughtering a bunch of colorful hedgehogs. that's art as hell

Not since Dostoyevsky has there been as unflinching a portrait into the nature of identity

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfjLRuE1CLw&t=522s

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

*in a werner herzog voice*

One is forced to ask oneself, when Mario throws his hat at a goomba, is he still Mario? Is there an inherent essence of mario that has still has an individual identity within the goomba, or has the loss of a separate physical form also meant the loss of the essential being we recognize as mario

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

*in a werner herzog voice*

One is forced to ask oneself, when Mario throws his hat at a goomba, is he still Mario? Is there an inherent essence of mario that has still has an individual identity within the goomba, or has the loss of a separate physical form also meant the loss of the essential being we recognize as mario

He possesses tall, business-suited people with normal proportions while still being a tiny cartoon man, there's definitely some Baudrillard in there

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"In one sense, it's clear that we do not want to live the sort of lives that are depicted in most stories that human authors have written so far. Think of the truly great stories, the ones that have become legendary for being the very best of the best of their genre: The Iliiad, [sic] Romeo and Juliet, The Godfather, Watchmen, Planescape: Torment, the second season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, or that ending in Tsukihime. Is there a single story on the list that isn't tragic?"

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

True art is a mirror into ones soul, an exploration of personal subjectivity. One should learn more about oneself through the experience.

Wrong.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

says the man who has not yet looked inside himself and found who to date in Persona 5

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

The correct answer is that it does not matter, for the beloved is always God.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CestMoi posted:

The correct answer is that it does not matter, for the beloved is always God.

incorrect, for God is dead

like literally

you kill him in those games

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

incorrect, for God is dead

like literally

you kill him in those games

quote:

The madman jumped into their midst and pierced them with his eyes. "Whither is God?" he cried; "I will tell you. We have killed him -- you and I. All of us are his murderers. But how did we do this? How could we drink up the sea? Who gave us the sponge to wipe away the entire horizon? What were we doing when we unchained this earth from its sun? Whither is it moving now? Whither are we moving? Away from all suns? Are we not plunging continually? Backward, sideward, forward, in all directions? Is there still any up or down? Are we not straying, as through an infinite nothing? Do we not feel the breath of empty space? Has it not become colder? Is not night continually closing in on us? Do we not need to light lanterns in the morning? Do we hear nothing as yet of the noise of the gravediggers who are burying God? Do we smell nothing as yet of the divine decomposition? Gods, too, decompose. God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

"How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it? There has never been a greater deed; and whoever is born after us -- for the sake of this deed he will belong to a higher history than all history hitherto."

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I have heard there are many overlaps between the Team Fortress 2 lore comics and the Iliad

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

what is this tripe

no way you could murder god with a knife. It doesn't have nearly enough dps for his armor class.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

what is this tripe

no way you could murder god with a knife. It doesn't have nearly enough dps for his armor class.

Someone's not casting matarukaja or marakunda enough

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
good posts, all

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I wish someone would cast mamudoon on this thread

draculatreefores
Apr 2, 2012

fridge corn posted:

The collection is called labyrinths

I was really confused at first because I had heard that Labyrinths by Borges was really good, then I got a collection of his and was like "poo poo, this collection doesn't have Labyrinths", but Labyrinths IS the collection. Or is within the collection. So even the understanding of the composition of the collection is in itself labyrinthine.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Im reading paradise lost, i like how much of the beginning is just a laundry list of ominous demon names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

draculatreefores posted:

I was really confused at first because I had heard that Labyrinths by Borges was really good, then I got a collection of his and was like "poo poo, this collection doesn't have Labyrinths", but Labyrinths IS the collection. Or is within the collection. So even the understanding of the composition of the collection is in itself labyrinthine.

I'm imagining a labyrinth composed of a tunnel with a single bend and no fork, and our intrepid Theseus spinning in place at the entrance until he gets dizzy and falls over.