Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Kvlt! posted:

It is absolutely possible to read literature whilst taking into consideration the social/political climate of the times in which it was written. Even middle schoolers do it when they read Huckleberry Finn. To say otherwise is simply untrue.

Of course Middle Schoolers do it. Its a juvenile form of reading. Treating a text as a historical document is to lock it behind a glass case and refuse it the opportunity to have meaning. If you are going to allow someone to tell you the kind of reading you should give a text you shouldn't bother reading in the first place

chernobyl kinsman posted:

condemning writers of the past for failing to live up to (a particular subset of) the ideals of the present is staggeringly dumb mel

No one said anything about condemning writers. We are condemning works. The writer doesn't matter and text is always a contemporary, not historical, document. If the text has elements that are troubling to the modern reader, that must be wrestled with. There is no point in trying to read a book under an imagined idea of the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If the text has elements that are troubling to the modern reader, that must be wrestled with. There is no point in trying to read a book under an imagined idea of the past.

The original guy was talking about not reading the books at all because they're 'problematic' though

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

A human heart posted:

The original guy was talking about not reading the books at all because they're 'problematic' though

yeah, but not wanting to read something because you know it will offend you as a contemporary reader is not anti-intellectual or unreasonable. It doesn't matter if something was appropriate at the time if its inappropriate for you as the reader.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I'm sorry if it wasn't clear, I knew it was going to be racist and sexist, but what I was asking was if people were finding it so problematic it is hard to read. If it is as bad as Tolkien, I wouldn't mind at all. But some Lovecraft stories are hard to read, especially when the dark evil is a clear metaphor for the horror of race mixing. I'm glad to see it was (relatively) progressive, I just feel that God-emperor Confederate soldier might cause people to pause to check over potential bad racist themes.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I'm sorry if it wasn't clear, I knew it was going to be racist and sexist, but what I was asking was if people were finding it so problematic it is hard to read. If it is as bad as Tolkien, I wouldn't mind at all. But some Lovecraft stories are hard to read, especially when the dark evil is a clear metaphor for the horror of race mixing. I'm glad to see it was (relatively) progressive, I just feel that God-emperor Confederate soldier might cause people to pause to check over potential bad racist themes.

The main issue is that Burroughs in all of his writings is that he is obsessed with the idea of the white European as the inherent master of all civilizations

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The main issue is that Burroughs in all of his writings is that he is obsessed with the idea of the white European as the inherent master of all civilizations

Yeah, it's racist, definitely worse and more in-your-face than Tolkien, but at least in intention less overtly racist than Lovecraft.

What I'd suggest is downloading the first book A Princess of Mars as a free ebook (it's out of copyright and on Gutenberg) and seeing if you like it or if it's too much for you.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

ulmont posted:

I'm fine with that. New books come out all the time, after all.

And Lensman sucks.

But Clarissa MacDougall...:cry:

My dad introduced me to John Carter, Tarzan, and EE Smith so I have a soft spot for them

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

i've been reading through the 4 classic chinese novels - is there any particularly iconic classic korean literature?

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

VileLL posted:

i've been reading through the 4 classic chinese novels - is there any particularly iconic classic korean literature?

It's 20th century so I don't know if it's necessarily a "classic" yet but this is generally regarded as one of the strongest novels dealing with Japanese occupation and the Korean family structure in the era: https://www.amazon.com/Three-Generations-Yom-Sang-Seop/dp/097785762X

I'm sure there are others but this is the only one I have any familiarity with, I'm way better versed in early 20th Century Chinese lit (Pa Chin, Lu Xun)

I have a lot of bias towards history and culture leaning novels though.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

funkybottoms posted:

Bluebeard, then Breakfast of Champions

Finally got done with something else, sat down and read Bluebeard. I really like it.

I’ll be adding BoC to the list for certain. Thanks again for the suggestions.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Rolo posted:

Finally got done with something else, sat down and read Bluebeard. I really like it.

I’ll be adding BoC to the list for certain. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Awesome! If there is such a thing as an underrated Vonnegut novel, it's Bluebeard.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Astoria was a slick history of a early attempt to make a settlement/trade empire, state and or country in 1810
It's pants making GBS threads terrifying what people put up with and how much civility and kindness can change history.

Undersold
Oct 12, 2002

Join me for a glass of champagna

condemning writers of the past for failing to live up to (a particular subset of) the ideals of the present is staggeringly dumb mel

A person of color might not really be able to agree. A book that views them as inferior isn't going to appear as something that is missing "a particular set of ideals". It will just seem like a book that tells them they're inferior. I am an American citizen who is not viewed as traditionally white. I can tell you that from my personal experience, I would view a book with clear prejudice toward non-whites as something demeaning. I understand you're saying that we should look past the racism since it's a product of its time, but that's not exactly easy for people who have been or continue to be victims of racism. It's the reason I've soured on Robert E. Howard and Lovecraft.

I would say that it's staggeringly dumb to be appalled at people condemning a writer of the past for being racist simply because they're from the past.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
The Science Fiction and Fantasy thread has been going on and on about LBJ and all his antics for a while, so I want to know more. Recommend me a good book about LBJ, hopefully one that has all of his eccentricities on display.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

USMC_Karl posted:

. Recommend me a good book about LBJ, hopefully one that has all of his eccentricities on display.

Is that really what he called his hog? Eccentricities?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Undersold posted:

I would say that it's staggeringly dumb to be appalled at people condemning a writer of the past for being racist simply because they're from the past.

nah if you can't approach a work on its own terms and in something like its own context that's a failure on your part. if, say, 'it's mean about muslims' is an obstacle to your reading the song of Roland that's on you

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I hate this pseudo intellectual idea that you have to give a book a pass for its poo poo just because it's from the past.

It's so loving dumb.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I think it goes beyond pseudo intellectual, I think it's probably a strawman, might be an ad hominem and is almost certainly the dunning Krueger effect.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

All the different Bible's out there are pretty hosed up but let's hear it out!
Lovekraft was a racist, he was a great writer despite his racisim. I really wish he wasn't a racist.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

nah if you can't approach a work on its own terms and in something like its own context that's a failure on your part. if, say, 'it's mean about muslims' is an obstacle to your reading the song of Roland that's on you

the text doesn't set the terms, the reader does

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Junkie Disease posted:

Lovekraft was a racist, he was a great writer despite his racisim. I really wish he wasn't a racist.

Being overly verbose doesn't mean "great", it means he had access to a thesaurus and not an editor. Lovecraft's popular because he was an eccentric weirdo who wrote "I saw something so strange it made me crazy" about a hundred times. The popularity is in the content, not the writing. He's a bad writer, decent story-teller.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jan 18, 2018

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

USMC_Karl posted:

The Science Fiction and Fantasy thread has been going on and on about LBJ and all his antics for a while, so I want to know more. Recommend me a good book about LBJ, hopefully one that has all of his eccentricities on display.

If you can set a few months aside, Robert Caro's multi-volume LBJ bio is the definitive one.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
I was looking for sci-fi/spec-fic about people living at different scales. Ringworld is an example, but even better was Jorge Luis Borges’ Library of Babel, a story about living in a building containing every possible 400 page book that can be made from alphabetical characters. Another example would be Surface Tension by James Blish, a story about microscopic aquatic humanoids having to invent ships that can carry them from one puddle to another.

I recall another story about European explorers finding the Americas to be uninhabited in the West, only later to discover the inhabited version to the East of Asia. It turned out that the same continents kept repeating forever in all four directions.

I thought that Riverworld looked interesting. It’s a series of books about every person ever born waking up next to a never-ending river. But it seems to be about the narrator encountering characters like Joan of Arc and Mark Twain, and that sounds a bit hokey, but maybe someone might recommend that anyways.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Larry Niven and Borges mentioned in the same breath

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Being overly verbose doesn't mean "great", it means he had access to a thesaurus and not an editor. Lovecraft's popular because he was an eccentric weirdo who wrote "I saw something so strange it made me crazy" about a hundred times. The popularity is in the content, not the writing. He's a bad writer, decent story-teller.

Yeah his impact was so small

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Junkie Disease posted:

Yeah his impact was so small

I said nothing about his impact or persistence as a figure for genre-fiction, I said his prose was lovely.

People that imitated Lovecraft imitate his ideas or his monsters or his concept of true fear driving someone insane. No one imitates his writing style, unless it's a purposeful pastiche of his over-written style.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

So he can only be great if his writing is better not the content or his impact

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'd argue that Lovecraft's purple prose does what he wants it to do. It suits the topics of his fiction and it fit the target market perfectly given that all his stuff was initially published in cheap pulp magazines.

It's "good" prose in the same way that a McDonald's hamburger is a "good" hamburger: it isn't what anyone thinks they want, but it does its job and it sells.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Junkie Disease posted:

Correct. People can be good at telling stories but bad at writing prose. This is pretty common in genre fiction, especially horror. No one reads Lovecraft and says "Wow, his sentence structure is succinct." They say "Hey neat, this guy's painter friend paints real monsters, spooooky".

Great writers are able to tell interesting stories with interesting prose. The fact that Lovecraft basically had 3 story ideas that he repeated a hundred times doesn't make him great. No matter how much you like him, the dude was enamored with over-written redundant prose. That he used his prose to talk about how great white people are and how monstrous minorities were makes it even more of a slog.

So, in my opinion, he's not a great writer. If you wanna debate this further, PM me.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I'd agree to that but he became wildly successful while staying a weirdo so he's like a totem to nerds but he's due some respect

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Junkie Disease posted:

I'd agree to that but he became wildly successful while staying a weirdo so he's like a totem to nerds but he's due some respect

He wasn't successful until years after he was dead. He was popular with other writers, mainly because he wrote letters all the drat time. He's a totem to nerds because they like his influence but haven't actually read him. Just like nerds love Dante's Inferno because of movies and videogames, but haven't actually read the drat thing.

I'm a big horror fan. I appreciate Lovecraft's influence because it's inspired some of the best filmmakers, authors and artists to create amazing things. However, he's still a lovely writer with lovely opinions and a lovely life-style. If you can get past that, then yeah, he's got some decent stories, like Pickman's Model, The Colour Out of Space, and Dreams In The Witch House. But whenever someone asks "Should I read Lovecraft?", I tell them to instead read Poe, Blackwood, Machen, Barker, Ligotti, etc.

That said, HP Lovecraft's complete works are free, and there's a neat collection that has all of his stories that have been turned into films, so if people still want to read him, that's where I point them.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Phyzzle posted:

I was looking for sci-fi/spec-fic about people living at different scales. Ringworld is an example, but even better was Jorge Luis Borges’ Library of Babel, a story about living in a building containing every possible 400 page book that can be made from alphabetical characters. Another example would be Surface Tension by James Blish, a story about microscopic aquatic humanoids having to invent ships that can carry them from one puddle to another.

I recall another story about European explorers finding the Americas to be uninhabited in the West, only later to discover the inhabited version to the East of Asia. It turned out that the same continents kept repeating forever in all four directions.

I thought that Riverworld looked interesting. It’s a series of books about every person ever born waking up next to a never-ending river. But it seems to be about the narrator encountering characters like Joan of Arc and Mark Twain, and that sounds a bit hokey, but maybe someone might recommend that anyways.

A lot of the fun in Riverworld is seeing how PJF throws historical figures together. The main protagonists are Sir Richard Burton (the explorer, not the actor) and Samuel Clemens, while the antagonists include King John of England and Hermann Goering. If that's not something you'd like it's probably not for you. Like a lot of series, it does fall off at the end and I didn't find the ending satisfying, but it was a fun read otherwise.

(As a side note, PJF was a genealogy buff -- he was the originator of the Wold Newton genealogy -- and he once wrote a Riverworld short story where every character was one of his own ancestors.)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Selachian posted:

A lot of the fun in Riverworld is seeing how PJF throws historical figures together. The main protagonists are Sir Richard Burton (the explorer, not the actor) and Samuel Clemens, while the antagonists include King John of England and Hermann Goering. If that's not something you'd like it's probably not for you. Like a lot of series, it does fall off at the end and I didn't find the ending satisfying, but it was a fun read otherwise.

(As a side note, PJF was a genealogy buff -- he was the originator of the Wold Newton genealogy -- and he once wrote a Riverworld short story where every character was one of his own ancestors.)
His interpretation of characters are... interesting though. I hated what he did with Cyrano, for example.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Larry Niven and Borges mentioned in the same breath

Fortunately, "Better" was also in the same breath.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Junkie Disease posted:

It's okay to enjoy lovecraft while recognizing that he's objectively a bad writer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

the text doesn't set the terms, the reader does

yeah obvs but if your terms require that past texts adhere to modern viewpoints and thus preclude you from reading the overwhelming majority of western literature they're bad terms

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

yeah obvs but if your terms require that past texts adhere to modern viewpoints and thus preclude you from reading the overwhelming majority of western literature they're bad terms

Canonization is not permanent. Literature reflects the values of a society, not defines them. A text becoming repulsive as society advances is not a bad thing. To think we must pardon a work for its offenses due to time is to render the text inorganic. You cannot shut off a reader's subjectivity for the sake of history.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

Junkie Disease posted:

laffo

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Canonization is not permanent. Literature reflects the values of a society, not defines them. A text becoming repulsive as society advances is not a bad thing. To think we must pardon a work for its offenses due to time is to render the text inorganic. You cannot shut off a reader's subjectivity for the sake of history.

I'm not talking about the canon, which isn't an idea which I have particular use for. I'm saying that a work's repulsiveness (or attractiveness) to specific modern sensibilities ought not to be conflated with its value or merit as a work. To do so is to self-impose crushing cultural and intellectual limitations and is just an inverted form of Victorian-style Puritanism

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

I'm not talking about the canon, which isn't an idea which I have particular use for. I'm saying that a work's repulsiveness (or attractiveness) to specific modern sensibilities ought not to be conflated with its value or merit as a work. To do so is to self-impose crushing cultural and intellectual limitations and is just an inverted form of Victorian-style Puritanism

There are multiple indices of merit though. For example, as above, Lovecraft has a lot of merit when you're examining the development of horror as a genre, negative merit when you're looking at racial issues in American fiction, and (again as above) questionable merit when looking at prose style.

In short all y'all making good points tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There are multiple indices of merit though. For example, as above, Lovecraft has a lot of merit when you're examining the development of horror as a genre, negative merit when you're looking at racial issues in American fiction, and (again as above) questionable merit when looking at prose style.

In short all y'all making good points tho

sure yes but making "congruency with my personal values at this particular moment in history" into a make-or-break merit judgment is, again, crushingly limiting and, again, a form of Victorian-style Puritanism. I'm not saying these issues aren't worth engaging with critically but if they're your chief yardstick then you're deeply Impoverished

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 18, 2018