Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Kerro posted:

As long as you don't mind using an app it's super easy to reset, we've just done so and the app tracks basically everything that is otherwise tracked by stickers etc. It's also super easy to have people drop in and out as the game scales to player number and levels. Basically all the unlockables are cool and yes the surprise would be lost for a second group but 95% of why the game rocks is just that it's mechanically really solid, the secret things are just a fun extra.

Ah, yeah that seems like the way to go - I might tuck away all the stickers, etc. to make sure they don't get used accidentally, then go with the app 100%. (Speaking of which, I think I missed that bit in the OP, until checking again just now! Is the app you're referring to this one, or is there another one that gets recommended these days?)

EDIT: Also, although I know the Broken Token organizer (link) page states that it's compatible with sleeved cards, do they still all fit in well sleeved, or are the cards packed in too tightly to be conveniently pulled out?

Sorry for all the questions - just planning my next course of action, before getting the gang together! :D

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Major Isoor posted:

Ah, yeah that seems like the way to go - I might tuck away all the stickers, etc. to make sure they don't get used accidentally, then go with the app 100%. (Speaking of which, I think I missed that bit in the OP, until checking again just now! Is the app you're referring to this one, or is there another one that gets recommended these days?)

That is for running monster AI, which you should definitely use.

You want something like this to track your campaign: http://thearcane.li/

There are also serviceable apps for the android and iphone.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

I got my 3D printed standees and the small polyhedral dice work perfectly.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Major Isoor posted:

EDIT: Also, although I know the Broken Token organizer (link) page states that it's compatible with sleeved cards, do they still all fit in well sleeved, or are the cards packed in too tightly to be conveniently pulled out?

Yeah they fit in well sleeved, and the fit is actually very very snug.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

Major Isoor posted:

Hey guys, apologies if this has been discussed before (probably has, but I didn't see anything in the OP) but how replayable is Gloomhaven, and how easy is it to have players drop in and out? Since I'm thinking of potentially running it with two groups - one with three, and another with maybe four. (Although one slot in the second group might potentially drop in/out, and there's no telling if they'll want to just pick up the same character)

You're going to run into a couple problems.

First is the player decks. There's only 4, which works fine for as many people as you want... until you start adding perks that change the decks. You can sneak in a 5th player by using the monster deck like a player deck if you're using an app to track monsters (Gloomy companion is good there). Above 5? You're either going to have to print your own or... good luck? I looked for an app to handle player decks and as far as I've seen it doesn't exist.

Drop in/out is fine, that's what we do. Scenario level scales so it's not going to be too bad. Again, your problem here is going to be that its pretty much impossible (without making printouts or whatever) to have two people playing the same class, and you've only got 6 to start. So a group of 3 and a group of 4? Not really happening off the bat unless you use the same character for both, and it seems like you want to keep your parties distinct.

Its very replayable though. Either use the app to track two separate parties, or get the vinyl stickers, or one of a number of other solutions.

Also, whatever happened to Rutibex? Was he banned or something?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I'm playing in three different campaigns. We just disassemble modifier decks between sessions.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's not really hard to have the same character class over multiple simultaneous games. The game comes with quite a few sheets for each one. You'll have to disassemble the modifier deck but that's not more than a 20 second task.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Sorting out which items are available and which road/city events are still in the deck seems like a bigger pain.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Frush posted:

Also, whatever happened to Rutibex? Was he banned or something?

He's still around, but it turns out in addition to bad board game takes he is also a climate change denier and has extremely bad views about women. He pops up in EVE threads and in GBS I think.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
Awww yes. My FLGS has confirmed they have a copy ready for collection tomorrow. Now my only problem is working out when the hell I'm going to find time to play.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Brain Curry posted:

I got my 3D printed standees and the small polyhedral dice work perfectly.

Which dice are those?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

misguided rage posted:

Sorting out which items are available and which road/city events are still in the deck seems like a bigger pain.

Don't shuffle the deck.

One of the Android trackers will let you randomly draw cards and track what you put back on the bottom, remove, and add.

I just used a spreadsheet. Randomized 1-30, manually delete rows when we pull them.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

KPC_Mammon posted:

Don't shuffle the deck.

One of the Android trackers will let you randomly draw cards and track what you put back on the bottom, remove, and add.

I just used a spreadsheet. Randomized 1-30, manually delete rows when we pull them.

This is something I've been wondering about, so am I righ in thinking I was only supposed to shuffle the City and Road decks when I first set up the game, and after that I am to otherwise leave them as is and to continue picking off the top for each scenario? This is what I have been doing, and when I pull a card that goes back into the deck I just put it on the bottom. What happens when you add cards, though? Do you shuffle them in, or do they go on the top so that you know you will choose them next time?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Mikey Purp posted:

This is something I've been wondering about, so am I righ in thinking I was only supposed to shuffle the City and Road decks when I first set up the game, and after that I am to otherwise leave them as is and to continue picking off the top for each scenario? This is what I have been doing, and when I pull a card that goes back into the deck I just put it on the bottom. What happens when you add cards, though? Do you shuffle them in, or do they go on the top so that you know you will choose them next time?

You shuffle every time you add a new card.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Which dice are those?

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0778T332K/ these are solid colors.

I have the swirled ones. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07792QWCW/

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I could see dice with that many sides turning often when the creatures they're attached to move.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

Gort posted:

I could see dice with that many sides turning often when the creatures they're attached to move.

We'll probably play this weekend so I'll post an update.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Why not get the standees that come with a built in rotating health counter?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Spikes32 posted:

Countdown to posts about how those counters are too spinny or not spinny enough

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Gort posted:

Countdown to posts about how those counters are too spinny or not spinny enough

I just found them a pain to build. Am using small 6 sided dice for health, and just add additional dice beyond the two for things with more than 12 health to the side of the room.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
We're a mix of level 3 and 4 now and we just did scenario 14 (the quest you do for the seer) and it feels like the game has become incredibly easy now. We barely broke a sweat cards wise for both this one and the last scenario we did (8, the one where you kill the inox bodyguards). Most of our previous runs were exciting, coin flip whether we'd win or not towards the end but the last two were kind of boring with how straightforward it was - are these specific scenarios undertuned, or are we messing up the difficulty level somehow?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

You are supposed to play on a harder difficulty if things seem too easy.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Yeah you are right at the easy part of the scenario level curve as written, all level 4 hero's beating the peak til 1 level 5 brings you to level 3. Bump it up, get more swag

Also some scenarios are just easy for certain hero's. Oh no a bunch of 3shield terrors. *Cragheart walks towards camera as everything explodes behind him due to autodamage.*

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 18, 2018

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

tekz posted:

We're a mix of level 3 and 4 now and we just did scenario 14 (the quest you do for the seer) and it feels like the game has become incredibly easy now. We barely broke a sweat cards wise for both this one and the last scenario we did (8, the one where you kill the inox bodyguards). Most of our previous runs were exciting, coin flip whether we'd win or not towards the end but the last two were kind of boring with how straightforward it was - are these specific scenarios undertuned, or are we messing up the difficulty level somehow?

8 is pretty easy because of the layout, but 14 is pretty standard difficulty. There's only a single scenario I've played that seemed really undertuned, though. If your party runs a lot of stun and disarm, you should definitely move to hard because those skills coupled with stamina potions effectively can reduce encounters as if you had fewer characters in the party.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
My friend just bought this for our playgroup.

Aside from Plano Boxes, Accordion folders and the eventual Broken Token insert, what other setup accessories are recommended?

I'm ready with the rules: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Ey1i9Jh1WVbEN6T2pCWkVobW8/view
The official FAQ: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1897763/official-faq-game-revs-1-and-2
And the first set up guide: https://www.reddit.com/r/Gloomhaven/comments/5un1p7/reminder_first_game_setup_guide/

Very excited and ready to lose the rest of my weekends to this.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I had a spare Ultra Pro folder with 9-pocket pages in it (for TCG storage) and I've made the first half of it the "shop" in town, with all the items in numerical order (the items we haven't accessed yet are flipped over to avoid spoilers). It seems to work alright but since the item cards are a lot smaller than the pockets they tend to want to fall out. Might have to improvise something to help with that. Additionally, the back half of the book I'm using to store removed town and road cards and side quests. The folder itself is thin enough that it can fit in the box and only raise the lid slightly (assuming that you are using a file folder for map tiles/rule books).

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
So excited! My copy was delivered today and is waiting for me at home. I was starting to get worried about the importer I used here in Australia, but all good in the end! Can't wait to bust this open!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I remember people talking about the Ubisoft class here earlier and the general vibe didn't sound so hot. Am I misremembering that, or was there a reason people were lukewarm on it? A player of mine is unlocking it in probably two sessions, and I'm fine playing on Easy to make sure everyone has a good time or w/e so if it's a balance concern that's fine, but if the class just has a lovely gimmick or whatever that'd be good to know.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Spikes32 posted:

Link?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Kiranamos posted:

8 is pretty easy because of the layout, but 14 is pretty standard difficulty. There's only a single scenario I've played that seemed really undertuned, though. If your party runs a lot of stun and disarm, you should definitely move to hard because those skills coupled with stamina potions effectively can reduce encounters as if you had fewer characters in the party.

Ditto cursebombs. If you've got even one person throwing in half the monster curse deck before the second turn, and then throwing a bunch more after their first rest, it's going to get trivial especiallly combined with muddle or forced disadvantage. Cursebombs are great but they do get a little unfun.

Our triple arrows retired yesterday after barely two levels(!), and we unlocked two minis, which looks interesting.

I think I've mostly grokked my Triforce now, especially as my damage deck has come together, but I'm still feeling like at level 4 I'm playing second fiddle to the level 7 spellweaver which kinda sucks. I wish I'd started Sun instead.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
We just did 14 as our first thing at scenario level 2, and it seemed really easy. I guess if you end up burning a lot of cards in room 1 it might be tricky? But all the enemies obligingly clumped up for some big aoe attacks to take down and everyone now has enough big attacks that high-shield low-health enemies are kind of a joke.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Countblanc posted:

I remember people talking about the Ubisoft class here earlier and the general vibe didn't sound so hot. Am I misremembering that, or was there a reason people were lukewarm on it? A player of mine is unlocking it in probably two sessions, and I'm fine playing on Easy to make sure everyone has a good time or w/e so if it's a balance concern that's fine, but if the class just has a lovely gimmick or whatever that'd be good to know.

Ubisoft class focuses on Summons. It is a mechanic other classes can dabble in but is generally not considered to be worth the effort.

The main issue with summons is that they use monster ai so you don't get to make as many tactical decisions. They are also undertuned, which is a problem when combined with how little control you have over them. I've seen it argued that their use is justified because they can take a hit for you but summons are loss cards and you could have just taken a hit by losing a card. It doesn't help that the AI for melee summons is suicidal.

You don't have to play the class you unlocked when you retire.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

KPC_Mammon posted:

Ubisoft class focuses on Summons. It is a mechanic other classes can dabble in but is generally not considered to be worth the effort.

The main issue with summons is that they use monster ai so you don't get to make as many tactical decisions. They are also undertuned, which is a problem when combined with how little control you have over them. I've seen it argued that their use is justified because they can take a hit for you but summons are loss cards and you could have just taken a hit by losing a card. It doesn't help that the AI for melee summons is suicidal.

You don't have to play the class you unlocked when you retire.

Yeah I unlocked it and will probably never play it. It's a mechanic that's situationally useful at best and the deck doesn't look like you can do much other then basic move and attack. The summons ARE better and do poison or wound or cool stuff.

But with ai control or summon tendency to loving die before they can do ANYTHING....

I have some friends who want to try the game for a 1 shot. I might break it out then just to try in in a real game.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Countblanc posted:

e: that said we haven't lost yet and I'm considering exclusively playing on Easy just so it doesn't happen because I know one player in particular is going to make a fuss about repeating stuff, especially if we just had a 3+ hour failed mission.

You should throw that person out.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

My wife played it since she actually tends to love that archetype...least favorite class she's played, but she didn't hate it. Retired pretty quickly, probably never touching it again. :shrug:

Can't tell you how much she loves gritty helmet guy, though, holy crap. it's hawkeye, it's fuckin hawkeye

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

My thoughts on the Circles class.

I played the Summoner as my 5th characters and by that time I was looking for something challenging and new despite my disdain for summons. And this is where I think the Summoner (and other weirdo classes like Saw) fit in. Yes, it's built around a less than efficient and often challenging gimmick, but that's the point. Not all classes are exactly balanced. Some classes are more "difficult" than others which can be fun for an experienced player.

The Summoner did not turn out as bad as I feared. Shadow Wolves is your bread and butter card to start. You get 2 summons for the price of one and they are fast enough to keep up. I never got to enhance the card but adding +1 to their attack score would have been my top priority if I had the time. The wolves are glass cannons and generally go down in one hit, but you can usually maneuver them to last 2 rooms. I found a tempo of alternating high and low initiates worked best. Go late so that enemies had to move to you and then the wolves rush to attack. Then go early so they attack again before the enemy. Most things go down in 4 attacks plus your own actions.

I also loaded up on the small item summons, generally aimed to get to get 3 to 4 summons going at a time, and then once the wolves were down, that's where I started considering the recover 4 lost cards card to re-do this setup.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
I got a bunch of terrible retirement goals early and guuuuuuuh I wanna see the new classes. About 20 missions in and only seen one so far.

Gonna play tonight at least with my GF, we are getting relatively close to two mini and music note.

gently caress the "Have an ally be exhausted 15 times" goal, drew that twice and had to throw it away because I exclusively play 2 player/solo

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I know this seems to be a thread about people who already have the game, but as a guy who is looking to pick it up when I can: Cool Stuff Inc. Says it's available now for retail. I called a local store, and they said they aren't getting any copies in, but I was going to go by another place later today. Can anyone confirm that today's the retail release day? I checked the Kickstarter and Cephalofair's blog, but I don't see anything about it.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Today is the release date. Yesterday there were lots of reddit threads about new pre-orders going up on CSI and Amazon. CSI reps were confirming that any order placed before today should be shipped today. People ordering on amazon were getting prime 2 day delivery confirmations.

Also, can confirm game is huge. It's the size of two Scythe boxes stacked on top of each other. I spent 3 hours last night punching out cardboard, loading up the BT organizer, stuffing the map accordion folder, and starting to sleeve cards. Still have many hours to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Hah! Well, Amazon's already out of stock on the second printing; all that's left is third-party people selling it for $200 USD. I hope my local place still has some left!