Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

RareAcumen posted:

I still find it wild how that isn't ~85% of the conversation whenever someone mentions Kirby.

A conversation requires a counterpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Chapters Out and it's back on the Box.

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/my-hero-academia/en/0/167/page/1

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

What the gently caress

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
This new arc is off to an... interesting start.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I kind of want it to be played off as a joke but this arc looks pretty dark.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Terper posted:

What the gently caress

kinda puts how he acted when the va attacked the training camp in a different light huh

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Manatee Cannon posted:

kinda puts how he acted when the va attacked the training camp in a different light huh
Honestly, it was kind of right in front of our faces, wasn't it?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Honestly, it feels like misdirection to me.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i already forgot what happened during the training camp

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Aoyama you're underage, you can't drink that wine!

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
I don't want to believe this. Endeavour shouldn't change that quickly.

Nah, I kid, this doesn't feel as ham fisted as what happened with Nagisa's mom in AssClass. But for real I don't want to believe what the last page implies.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Aaaawwww here it goes

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Aurora posted:

i already forgot what happened during the training camp

I just went back and read it again. God drat, I am beyond hype for the next season of the anime. The training camp arc is absolutely great.

Also, I'm thinkin' red herring.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is not a misdirection. We just finished a short light-hearted breather arc, so the next arc has got to be a serious / dark one.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Level Seven posted:

Nah, I kid, this doesn't feel as ham fisted as what happened with Nagisa's mom in AssClass. But for real I don't want to believe what the last page implies.

I don't think Endeavor has changed. There's a frame of him having a crazy eye. I think he might try, but at least Shotou isn't just forgiving him.

Even the wind dude had to punch his own face to get out of his stuck in mindset to even pretend to forgive Endeavor.

What would it take for Endeavor to be redeemed? Curious what people think.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it could go either way (tho I'm leaning towards it being played straight) but they gotta get this out of the way soon

Mordaedil posted:

I don't think Endeavor has changed. There's a frame of him having a crazy eye. I think he might try, but at least Shotou isn't just forgiving him.

Even the wind dude had to punch his own face to get out of his stuck in mindset to even pretend to forgive Endeavor.

What would it take for Endeavor to be redeemed? Curious what people think.

crazy eye was a flashback to when wind guy met him the first time as a contrast to the way he is now

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

This is not a misdirection. We just finished a short light-hearted breather arc, so the next arc has got to be a serious / dark one.

Even if it HAS to be, that still doesn't mean this can't be a red herring.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

crazy eye was a flashback to when wind guy met him the first time as a contrast to the way he is now
I see. gently caress, that kinda blows.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
I can't stop betraying

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
M-Maybe he's just a Deku fanboy...? I Cannot Stop Stalking! :ohdear:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I think this is less "Endeavor has changed" and more marking him finally understanding that he needs to begin trying to change.

I always think it's interesting that Endeavor accepts Shoto cordially detesting him without complaint, as though he realizes that it's deserved.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Level Seven posted:

I don't think he's changed but he's certainly about to.

He spent his whole life trying to climb to that number one spot and now that he's made it, he has no idea what to do with it. He's still a professional and I think he recognises that he isn't doing a good a job as All Might is which is why he's come to the conclusion that he needs to change.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Kanos posted:

I think this is less "Endeavor has changed" and more marking him finally understanding that he needs to begin trying to change.

I always think it's interesting that Endeavor accepts Shoto cordially detesting him without complaint, as though he realizes that it's deserved.

It's always been clear that Endeavor has never considered what he did to be very morally correct. It was just seeing All Might in such a depleted state and the realization that every horrible thing he'd done has been for absolutely nothing that hit him the hardest. And he's aware that crime's rising and things are getting worse, he needs to do something, because horrible father he may be, it's clear that he takes his "Hero" duties seriously. The contrast of watching the students use their quirks to open the hearts of children and All Might telling him that Endeavor doesn't need to be him etc. has put him, as you said, on the path to changing.

Shotou doesn't forgive his father, though it was excellent artistic use to have him showing his ice-side while scowling to endeavor and his fire side when showing him smiling afterwards.

After being the No.1 hero and having nothing work out and crime only getting worse Endeavor is looking to see what he can do to step up.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
Endeavour endeavoring(ohoho) to become a better person while still being hated by his son/wife is a more thematic character arc than remaining a piece of poo poo forever.

I mean, Horikoshi can just whitewash all the stuff Endeavour did but I hope it won't actually happen.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

No
Not my boy

Not my sweet sparkly boy

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm not sure if it's the translation but it's funny to me when any of these kids are refereed to as "a man."

I'm fine with an Endeavor redemption as long as its earnest. Like he has to put work into changing, do right by the people he's wronged, and even then still has to acknowledge that doesn't make everything just ok. This comic didn't just have Todoroki get over everything after one heartfelt speech from Deku so I have faith it won't be a Dragon Ball situation where the bad guy is suddenly palling around with the heroes and no one questions it.

In regards to the real plot reveal in this chapter I Can Not Stop Being Evil being the traitor is a little lack luster since he's such a back ground comic relief character that hasn't really done much. The only really notable thing he's done is saving Tokoyami during the training camp attack which may have been a way to throw suspicion off him I guess. I think it would hit a little harder if it was one of the other students but on the other hand I can't think of any of them I wouldn't be really sad about being fake. I'm glad that thread looks like it's getting resolved and tempted to speculate he has some sort of Jekyll/Hyde thing going where he turns evil when he sleeps and doesn't even know he's a spy.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jan 19, 2018

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SITB posted:

Endeavour endeavoring(ohoho) to become a better person while still being hated by his son/wife is a more thematic character arc than remaining a piece of poo poo forever.

I mean, Horikoshi can just whitewash all the stuff Endeavour did but I hope it won't actually happen.

Same. I'm worried about how it's going to play out, but I'm really hoping that it doesn't just have him try harder or whatever and get forgiven. He needs a proper reckoning to even begin to think about getting forgiveness, but it looks like he might receive it at least, so... We'll see, I suppose.

Meanwhile, those last pages, hm. Not sure what to make of that.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
"that man" is just standard anime phrasing for ominous vague possibly evil person

also imagine the lovely old memes if it said "that boy"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Endeavour trying to be better is perfectly fine. I kinda hope Shouto didn't ever really forgive him, or good forbid his mom moves home.

Basically any redemption is kinda gross because his wife is still forcefully institutionalized, but there's no way we were getting out of this manga without Endeavors arc.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

:stare: but in anime format

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Weird for the VA spy to be revealed by the narrative at the beginning of an arc. Does "That Day" refer to answering that math problem or something? Maybe Sparkles is secretly jealous of Deku taking the spotlight.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Fabricated posted:

Endeavour trying to be better is perfectly fine. I kinda hope Shouto didn't ever really forgive him, or good forbid his mom moves home.

Basically any redemption is kinda gross because his wife is still forcefully institutionalized, but there's no way we were getting out of this manga without Endeavors arc.

I mean she legit dumped boiling water on her own child's face, she was getting institutionalized after that no matter what. The fact that it was caused by Endeavour's dickishness is the real issue. That said, I figure he'll probably kick the bucket.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

No
Not my boy

Not my sweet sparkly boy

I'm honestly more upset by this than I think I would've been with any other classmate.

That said, there is the possibility that this is misdirection...for Aoyama being Quirkless (with the belt being a pure beam-creation gadget rather than an amplifier), as some have theorized in the past, and having found out that Deku was, as well, leading to his developing a somewhat weird but not necessarily malicious interest in him/why he no longer appears to be?

Aoi fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jan 19, 2018

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I wonder if it's a head fake. It's almost certainly more complicated than we think it is given his past behavior.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fabricated posted:

I wonder if it's a head fake. It's almost certainly more complicated than we think it is given his past behavior.

I'm giving it even odds of this myself. He's a weird dude, this could just be him being extremely awkward or something. His past actions don't quite mesh with this.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I guess it could be a fake out but the tone of that note on the last page makes it sound like this is what it looks like

plus generally the series doesn't kick in a reminder that Deku is narrating all of this from the future unless it's serious poo poo

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Deku would REALLY REGRET NOT TALKING TO IIDA (he got a scar but everything turned out fine)

It was finally TIME FOR HIS LONG INTERNSHIP (it was like, a week max).

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Haha I forgot that his internship lasted like four days.

Also Iida still can't use his hand or something that hasn't mattered at all since. (I really think the original intent was something darker to happen to Iida but he wisely thought better of it halfway through that arc.)

I just noticed a subtle joke in this chapter. When Deku tries to answer Bakugao is frowning but then breaks into a smile when he's wrong and Momo gets it right.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jan 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Terper posted:

Deku would REALLY REGRET NOT TALKING TO IIDA (he got a scar but everything turned out fine)

The biggest thing that came out of that, by far, was Todoroki becoming the hand-crusher because he felt guilty for that and Deku being, well, early manga Deku and blowing up his own arm. Again.

And that also hasn't really come up since. :v: