Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Then there's this:

3 In the case of Kaeshi-waza, Tori, the thrower who is applying the counter attack, cannot use the impact of landing on the tatami.

I'm reading this as meaning that a sacrifice counter throw which uses a complete fall to create momentum will not score for the counter thrower.

I like this as I have had so many people fat man splash me when they half assed a counter throw that is a wazari or yuko. Had my MCL hosed up before because someone landed on my legs after Uchi-mata-sukashi when it is was a yuko throw.

The ne-waza leg grab rule I am not a fan of as refs in my area are going to read it wrong for the first while and shido anyone who looks like they brushed their hand against the leg of the standing opponents while in newaza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Why does Judo (seemingly) change it's rules so often?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Seltzer posted:

Why does Judo (seemingly) change it's rules so often?

Most of these are minor edits to a major rules overhaul a few years back. That major rules overhaul has been part of a modern effort to rethink Judo as an exciting spectator sport with a distinct identity from other major (i.e. Olympic) grapple arts. It began as an effort (allegedly) to make the sport more upright in banning leg grabs, and thus distinct from wrestling (or, if you're more cynical, to take away the Mongolians' advantage over the Japanese, who have near-despotic power over the rules). The two major rules overhauls we've seen since then (2016 and 2018) have been emendations based on how the sport has changed since that major change.

So while we're seeing lots of rule revisions lately, what we're witnessing is less New Rules than New Interpretations and New Definitions of the core stuff, and reactions to ways that the competitors find to game those rules, with the aim of producing more rad ippons to publish on facebook or twitter in gif form.

I guess to answer your question more directly, then, these little shifts in rules are a struggle between officials' desire to have a clear expression of the rules, competitors' desire to game the rules to their advantage, and promotional entities' desire to make people want to watch it.

A good example of this unfolding is the shifting rules over the last 6 years for how out of bounds gets called, and what constitutes out of bounds - the rules used to be fairly liberal, and fighters could go out of the combat area without suffering penalty in many circumstances, the idea being "let judo happen". But I watched one 4-minute semifinal match from the London 2012 Olympics take 20 minutes to end one shido to zero because the competitors fought the entire match on the edge of the boundary and would "fall" outside whenever their opponent achieved a favourable grip, and this was typical judo. Since then the rule has been changed to exclude that strategy - if you step outside with one foot and don't get back in right away, OR if you step out with both feet, it's a penalty, get hosed, get back into the centre of the mat. It turns out that "let judo happen" is better encouraged by disincentivizing the fighters from interrupting the fight for boundary violations.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
If I'm reading it correctly, that rule about grabbing the legs from the bottom side of newaza straight-up bans a lot of BJJ staples like the tripod sweep, DLR guard, etc., which were used with some success in high-level judo this last year.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
It's to make Russians and Mongolians not win everything. The Japanese are cowards who are afraid of wrestling techniques because they have no fighting spirit.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 20, 2018

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Nestharken posted:

If I'm reading it correctly, that rule about grabbing the legs from the bottom side of newaza straight-up bans a lot of BJJ staples like the tripod sweep, DLR guard, etc., which were used with some success in high-level judo this last year.

That was my first thought as well. Am I correct in the assumption that in the above situations, if the standing opponent puts a knee to the mat, they're considered "engaged" in newaza and leg contact becomes legal? What about a hand on the mat?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

A guy at my club who crosstrains judo and BJJ was saying that you now get penalized for using "non-classic grips"? Like grabbing a wrist instead of a sleeve? Ugh.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The Japanese are cowards who are afraid of wrestling techniques because they have no fighting spirit.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

A guy at my club who crosstrains judo and BJJ was saying that you now get penalized for using "non-classic grips"? Like grabbing a wrist instead of a sleeve? Ugh.

That's not a new rule, and they relaxed it for about 6 months and then dialed it back part way. If you take a "non-standard" grip (standard = one hand on each side of the opponent's centerline with no pocket or pistol gripping) you must immediately use it for attack. In adult divisions that's the only restriction (or any other restriction is an extrapolation of those).

To be fair to the IJF, non-standard grips can be used as obnoxious defensive tools to keep the opponent on the outside, and many of their "what the gently caress IJF?" rules are about preventing what they call "anti-Judo" strategies like getting a minor point and then taking a defensive posture until time runs out.

Re: the wrist specifically , there's no reason to ever grab the wrist directly, as 1) a regulation judo gi will cover the wrist anyway, and thus almost always be in reach, and 2) the gi grip is a superior control. I'm not sure if it's actually penalized. If I remember, I'll ask tonight, but I'm pretty sure my instructor will say that he's never seen anyone go for a wrist grip intentionally.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's to make Russians and Mongolians not win everything. The Japanese are cowards who are afraid of wrestling techniques because they have no fighting spirit.

mongolians are the strongest in sumo and theyre fine with it

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I.N.R.I posted:

mongolians are the strongest in sumo and theyre fine with it

:laugh: I take it you don't follow sumo.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jan 25, 2018

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i do .. theyre fine with it

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I.N.R.I posted:

i do .. theyre fine with it

They limit the number of foreigners per stable and it was a really big deal when Kisenosato became the first Japanese yokozuna in like 20 years.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 25, 2018

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Doesn't Japan have a killer wrestling program? Like, aren't the winningest wrestlers of all time in three female divisions Japanese, with records that look like they'd be fictitious except when compared to Alexander Karelin's? Or is that only the women?

I seem to remember that Kid Yamamoto's family had some Olympic medalists in it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The other problem with the "Japanese have no bushido" explanation is that Japan did pretty well at the 2016 Olympics. My belief is that these changes are to create GIFs.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Doesn't Japan have a killer wrestling program? Like, aren't the winningest wrestlers of all time in three female divisions Japanese, with records that look like they'd be fictitious except when compared to Alexander Karelin's? Or is that only the women?

I seem to remember that Kid Yamamoto's family had some Olympic medalists in it.

It was a joke :ssh:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mechafunkzilla posted:

:saddowns:

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's true for whoever comes up with those chickenshit judo rules.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

The Japanese are indeed excellent wrestlefriends. Combat Wrestling is from Japan, which owns and in a low-key way has had a huge influence on the development of grappling sports.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It's true for whoever comes up with those chickenshit judo rules.

this too

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Most of the IJF rule changes are a result of the IOC giving "suggestions" as to how the sport should look.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Most of the IJF rule changes are a result of the IOC giving "suggestions" as to how the sport should look.

Was this also true for the rules changes in the early 80's?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Was this also true for the rules changes in the early 80's?

I don't know exactly what the 1980s rules changes were, as that was when I first got involved in Judo as a kid so those are the "normal old rules" in my mind, but if not the IJF specifically, probably someone who was worried about judo's "spectator" value. The old 1950s-style no-time-limit ippon-only matches were cool for competition value, but not so much if you're trying to get TV ratings from it.

One of the major reasons I've always been suspicious of the "it's the Kodokan!" explanation for the rules changes is that the Kodokan is run by conservative old farts who would only change things to make it more traditional and maybe to ban women.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The Japanese are indeed excellent wrestlefriends. Combat Wrestling is from Japan, which owns and in a low-key way has had a huge influence on the development of grappling sports.

this too

A bunch of my friends/training partners(including Reily Bodycomb) just cleaned house at the Combat Wrestling championships last year

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

What's combat wrestling?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Siivola posted:

What's combat wrestling?

It's basically apartment wrestling but it apparently takes place in a dirty house.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Can you sweep people onto concrete in it?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Siivola posted:

What's combat wrestling?

It's a catch wrestling org from Japan.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
isn't it basically submission grappling with a freestyle/judo history?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I think it's similar to the currently popular sub-only format but you can also win by pin so throws and control are a big incentive.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Odddzy posted:

I think it's similar to the currently popular sub-only format but you can also win by pin so throws and control are a big incentive.
This is all I've ever wanted from a hugsport.
So of course it only ever airs in Japan. :negative:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Siivola posted:

This is all I've ever wanted from a hugsport.
So of course it only ever airs in Japan. :negative:

it would be fun to have a format which has nhb sub, ippon, and 60-second pin victories, with accumulated pin time as the tiebreaker

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Correct me, but isn't that basically kosen judo?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Siivola posted:

No idea.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Siivola posted:

I believe Kosen Judo frowns upon Leglocks. The inhouse tournaments of Kozen Judo that happen here at least ban them as far as I know.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just got my shirt in the mail. Ordered it on 1-16 and 10 days seems fast from Australia to Chicago.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Looking forward to my South American Ground Karate patch :ohdear:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Is this the BJJ thread? I'll pretend it is.

Just started doing BJJ (6, hour and a half sessions in so far) and I'm full body wore out/sore. What is the normal amount of practices people do per week if they're just doing it for fun/exercise?

Also, is it something that leads to an inordinate amount of injuries (as opposed to dad basketball or something)? Some people have told me stuff like: "Everyone I know who does BJJ has had multiple surgeries because of injuries"

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

Is this the BJJ thread? I'll pretend it is.

Just started doing BJJ (6, hour and a half sessions in so far) and I'm full body wore out/sore. What is the normal amount of practices people do per week if they're just doing it for fun/exercise?

Also, is it something that leads to an inordinate amount of injuries (as opposed to dad basketball or something)? Some people have told me stuff like: "Everyone I know who does BJJ has had multiple surgeries because of injuries"

1) The correct amount of practices is the amount you want to do. Which isn't a helpful answer, but generally two to four times a week is average. One time a week is way too little, but is far better than not going at all.

2)Depends on what your fitness level is, if your partners are dinguses, and if you don't take care of yourself during training. I've been at martial arts for coming up on four years now and haven't had anything bad happen to me that couldn't be solved with a week of rest, but on the other hand I saw a dude at a tournament get his femur broken pretty bad. All in all, it's probably no more or less dangerous than any contact sport.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 26, 2018

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Defenestrategy posted:

1) The correct amount of practices is the amount you want to do. Which isn't a helpful answer, but generally two to four times a week is average. One time a week is way too little, but is far better than not going at all.

2)Depends on what your fitness level is, if your partners are dinguses, and if you don't take care of yourself during training. I've been at martial arts for coming up on four years now and haven't had anything bad happen to me that couldn't be solved with a week of rest.

Thanks.

I assume by "take care of yourself" you mean tapping before you know you're going to be hurt? I'm still trying to learn how to recognize that (sometimes after I wake up).

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 18, 2019

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

Thanks.

I'm a weightlifter and I've been told by multiple people at the BJJ gym that the two don't really go together. BUT, I'm going to give it a go and see if one pushes the other one out of my life.

I assume by "take care of yourself" you mean tapping before you know you're going to be hurt? I'm still trying to learn how to recognize that.

Weightlifting and BJJ go together so long as you aren't trying to do the body builder thing where your flexibility is like 0 because you made your biceps as big as your head. It'll help you prevent injuries and make you strong enough to perform techniques, Weightlifting is a great accessory to BJJ, but remember it as only an accessory to going in and training.

Tapping early to submissions, learning to breakfall, and don't just spaz out and instead make deliberate movements when rolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Injuries and soreness are more common in beginners before they learn to relax, to tap early, and to not spaz around.