Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
I've internalized that 17 is the only real reason I've stuck with this arc as long as I have, and there's a certain novelty in that, but it's a good thing because it made Gohan's elimination funny in an "of course that's how this turned out" kind of way. If I was anywhere near as invested as I wish I was, I think that would've pissed me off a good deal.

Like, it wasn't a Tien elimination, but it wasn't good payoff for all the time they wasted slowburning Gohan, and it made him NOT eliminating Toppo and 17 last week lamer in hindsight.

I, uh, think I'm actually pretty relieved that there's a finish line in sight so I can give the arc a nice look back and decide if my being such a Grinch has been necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's the best account Gohan's given of himself since the Cell Saga, he had some good fights and went out with dignity to secure a critical KO which is far more than can be said about his Buu and RoF appearances. The episode was kinda crumby though, way too much recycled animation and exposition asides, they probably could have just dropped the worthless Jiren fight scenes altogether and given Gohan a little more time on the spotlight and sell his eventual sacrificial double KO a little harder.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Crabtree posted:

Frieza desperately calls Piccolo at 4 am asking how in the hell do you change a small monkey baby.

Piccolo doesn't own a phone though!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

multijoe posted:

It's the best account Gohan's given of himself since the Cell Saga, he had some good fights and went out with dignity to secure a critical KO which is far more than can be said about his Buu and RoF appearances. The episode was kinda crumby though, way too much recycled animation and exposition asides, they probably could have just dropped the worthless Jiren fight scenes altogether and given Gohan a little more time on the spotlight and sell his eventual sacrificial double KO a little harder.

Having the action follow the B fight is the closest to classic dbz as super really feels comfortable letting itself be. I remember last week actually being surprised we got some fighting after what was clearly a power up episode before then remembering this was super!

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
Yeah, for Gohan's Last Stand, Gohan kinda only appeared for the last third of it.

His little moment with the U10 fighter and the last episode of his tag fight against the U6 Namekians are the only moments of his I really got into this arc, and the rest of his time was spent defending/being defended by Piccolo and being informed to be the U7 leader without doing much in the way of leading. After his whole build in the recruitment arc and even prior, it didn't feel like he would do as little as he did. But, I found the recruitment episodes to be incredibly pointless, so this is just kind of another mark against them.

Gohan's ToP showing wasn't the worst, but Gohan fans keep repeatedly falling into the trap of thinking he'll be as relevant as he was in the Cell Saga when he won't be and never was going to be. We expect more of him. It's disappointing.

17, on the other hand, is still in the ring against all expectations, and now I want to see him beat Toppo, become U7's God of Destruction, Hakai Jiren, and wish himself a galactic boat with which to sail the cosmos.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Episode owned. I'm gonna miss this drat awesome show.

Just pre-ordered DBZ FighterZ Ultimate edition cos I need dem songs (they better be the Japanese versions). Can't wait to play this dang game, it's been so long since I got into a 2D beat em up!

It's so funny how times have changed. I see people complaining about having to actually UNLOCK characters in game. How horrific! Why can't I have everything from the start?! That's not fairrrrrrr. It's bizarre to me. Yes, unlock things, play the game, it's part of the fun!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think unlocking characters is fine if you just have to clear the story mode or whatever.

It'll only be lame if you have to do something like grind arcade mode for points to purchase characters a la the PS2/Xbox versions of Marvel vs. Capcom 2. That was a huge pain in the rear end.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Dyspo's battle yells were ridiculous. He sounded like an angry mob from South Park

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Rhonne posted:

I think Nappa is taller, I'm not sure though since they never really appeared on screen together.

I still think Raditz had a bigger impact on the series than Nappa though. His arrival set in motion the events that would eventually lead to Namek.

They did

https://youtu.be/_StzfoCVwQY

I think Nappa was bigger though, my mistake

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
17 will defeat Jiren.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

CharlestonJew posted:

Dyspo's battle yells were ridiculous. He sounded like an angry mob from South Park

I like how he went from a sort of melodical rah-dah dah dum dah when he had the upper hand to the standard angry dahdahdahdahdah when poo poo was going down.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is there anyplace to watch the Super dub online?

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Raserys posted:

17 will defeat Jiren.

17 needs to be the new main character.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Funimation's site has the dub

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

[Points to a dumpster where the dub belongs]

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Reinanigans posted:

Sorry brother, the dubbing is good, and i normally don't like dubs

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Funi's site has the dub. Adult swim has a site with the dub for X past episodes.

If you're on cable and have on demand it usually shows up there for at least the last few episodes.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It's lame that the only way I can watch the dub is piracy

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

It's on vrv

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Reinanigans posted:

Have you... seen the dub? It kind of owns.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Reinanigans posted:

It's good, actually

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I understand inherently preferring the original performances in a TV show or movie but the Super dub legitimately seems like a good adaptation and the liberties it does take are fun.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Am I wrong in thinking Dypso was really lame in his performance of this episode? That Ultimately he was just a one trick pony that keeps getting faster and faster that I'd rather he just go so fast he runs off the arena, then Gohan just running out of options without seemingly really, I don't know, destroying his footing that he just pulls a BLAST US BOTH OUT OF THE RING, FREEIZE?

Maybe that's just what I'm gonna feel with Toppo and Jiren ultimately too. That they are all just STRONG GUYS and that's it. You wait what feels like a whole year and that's what their fight amounts to.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

It's cool if you like the dub but to me it just sounds like people doing funny voices. Vegeta sounds like a constipated Brian Drummond to me. They're not super (heh) talented voice actors like you'd see on Futurama or Simpsons (I don't know how Billy West does those things with his mouth).

Edit : ^^^ Yeah, Dyspo was just a go fast dude, in a non tournament setting hed stand no chance against a murderous Freeza

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Reinanigans posted:

[throws you into the dumpster where you belong] You are the one whose trash. We are not doing this sub vs dub argument again

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 21, 2018

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Alan_Shore posted:

It's cool if you like the dub but to me it just sounds like people doing funny voices. Vegeta sounds like a constipated Brian Drummond to me. They're not super (heh) talented voice actors like you'd see on Futurama or Simpsons (I don't know how Billy West does those things with his mouth).

nah

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the DBZ dub actors are delighted to reprise their old roles and it really shows, Super's dub is a ton of fun

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I love the dichotomy of the two episodes back to back

17: KNOCK US BOTH OFF GOHAN
Gohan: no I can’t do it

Gohan: KNOCK US BOTH OFF FREEZA
Freeza: hell yea

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Crabtree posted:

Am I wrong in thinking Dypso was really lame in his performance of this episode? That Ultimately he was just a one trick pony that keeps getting faster and faster that I'd rather he just go so fast he runs off the arena, then Gohan just running out of options without seemingly really, I don't know, destroying his footing that he just pulls a BLAST US BOTH OUT OF THE RING, FREEIZE?

Maybe that's just what I'm gonna feel with Toppo and Jiren ultimately too. That they are all just STRONG GUYS and that's it. You wait what feels like a whole year and that's what their fight amounts to.

Honestly I thought Dyspo's gimmick was "fast, but not particularly strong" so as soon as Gohan had him in the headlock I thought he was just going to choke him out/giant swing him off the arena, Gohan should be strong enough to just toss that guy right off the edge

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Ramadu posted:

hmmmmmmm

Meta Cooler kicked him in the dick one too many times.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

17 needs to be the new main character.

I wanna meet 17's family.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rhonne posted:

I wanna meet 17's family.

if super's gonna end/go on hiatus then I hope we get to meet them and go visit the u6 saiyans beforehand

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Oxxidation posted:

the DBZ dub actors are delighted to reprise their old roles and it really shows, Super's dub is a ton of fun

Wait, so does Sean Schemmel like or not like doing the voice of goku now? I'm hearing conflicting things between here and Toonami.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Crabtree posted:

Wait, so does Sean Schemmel like or not like doing the voice of goku now? I'm hearing conflicting things between here and Toonami.

Were did it say he doesn’t like doing it.

Because to dislike doing it he does it a lot off show

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

CharlestheHammer posted:

Were did it say he doesn’t like doing it.

Because to dislike doing it he does it a lot off show

Maybe I miss read it or the person that made that comment last nigh misremembered/confused him with someone else, I'm confused and asking for clarification.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I dare you to find even one person who has voiced Goku who did not like voicing Goku

Seriously it must be a possession or something because even Nozawa is still trucking on slinging them screams like she jumps out of bed every day demanding it's time to atatatatata

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Someone earlier said that 17 and Freeza may both get eliminated by Toppo so that Vegeta can fight Toppo while Goku fights Jiren. I can actually see that happening, come to think of it. And i cant lie, that'd be annoying as hell, if they did that. Hope it doesnt turn out that way.

That'd be a really boring turn of events. Goku and Vegeta are already fighting Jiren. If Vegeta breaks off the fight to engage Toppo, than either Toppo will eliminate Vegeta or Vegeta will eliminate Toppo. The writers may make Toppo win so we'll be at the edge of our seats thinking "Oh gently caress now Toppo and Jiren will gang up on Goku!", but frankly i dont see why they need to do that to raise the stakes. Goku already has his hands full with Jiren; adding Toppo is a bit overkill. Plus it'd be annoying that Goku single-handedly beats them both (which is what would end up happening; they're not gonna have U11 win, guys). If Vegeta eliminates Toppo and re-joins the fight against Jiren, then that'd be pointless because he and Goku were already fighting Jiren.

On the other hand, if Freeza beats Toppo, he can join Vegeta and Goku against Jiren, which would be more interesting. If that's what ends up happening, then i think either Vegeta or Goku will be knocked off next, leaving one of them and Freeza vs Jiren (it's probably gonna be Goku, tho). Of course, i'm mostly going by what i would WANT to see ;)

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Black August posted:

I dare you to find even one person who has voiced Goku who did not like voicing Goku

Seriously it must be a possession or something because even Nozawa is still trucking on slinging them screams like she jumps out of bed every day demanding it's time to atatatatata

The guy who briefly replaced Mario Castañeda at the start of Kai due all the poo poo he got from all Latin America :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I feel like Goku and Geets vs. Jiren and Frieza vs. Toppo are natural next steps. Sorry, boatmaster 17, but I think this is end of the line for you.

Then again, none of us expected him to outlast Gohan either, so who knows?