Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

J_RBG posted:

Wait no way did the guy who wrote Gödel Escher Bach, the book that came recommended to me by the guy who was really into Inception, translate Eugene Onegin

How have I just learnt this

he did so before learning any russian, as well

Forktoss posted:

I tried reading Hofstadter's Le Ton beau de Marot because scrutinising a hundred different translations of a dumb poem made according to ridiculous self-imposed rules is extremely my thing, but it read like it was written by a STEM guy a robot trying to understand humanities. Apparently words in different languages can mean a bit different things??

that seems like a pretty accurate reading to me. i think i've talked about it before, but i have sort of complicated feelings about that book in that it's not necessarily very useful as a book about translation, but it's mentally sort of sticky enough that i think about it a lot. it's like outsider art, i guess is how i rationalize it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Anyone read Belladonna by Croatian author Dasa Drndic? loving cool book. About guilt for nazi crimes and trauma and stuff.

That guy who's afraid of fascism would probably like it

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
I think he got really mad at us and left the thread for good

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
How readable is the Croatian?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I guess it depends on your familiarity with the croatian language

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

DisDisDis posted:

How readable is the Croatian?

It's translated into English

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I'm reading Spring Snow now, Kiyoaki is a fuckboy

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

DisDisDis posted:

He becomes rad as hell next book

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Ok, so I’m about halfway through Pale Fire, my first Nabokov, and it loving rules. I am all about the “narcissistic and probably crazy man talking about his dead friend” genre. It’s pretty funny too, which I was not expecting going in.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Yeah I'm really excited for Runaway Horses since killing politicians is cool as hell

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Ok, so I’m about halfway through Pale Fire, my first Nabokov, and it loving rules. I am all about the “narcissistic and probably crazy man talking about his dead friend” genre. It’s pretty funny too, which I was not expecting going in.

'narcissistic and probably crazy man trying to convince the reader that the central poem is about him and not the author's dead daughter' is A+ stuff.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

DisDisDis posted:

Mishima always makes his good characters really hard to sympathize with and his bad characters (like Honda) unintentionally likable.

Most of his antagonists are elements of how he perceived himself (as soft, flabby, spiritually weak etc...) and the protagonists are just abstract opposites of that, basically walking statues and evil supermen.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jan 20, 2018

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Ive started The Sirens of Titan as I always read a vonnegut in January for some reason

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

It’s pretty funny too, which I was not expecting going in.

Same, it was the best part. Even the poem was witty and amusing, which I also didn't expect

By the way, there was a really obvious part in the commentary where Kinbote is even more unreliable a narrator than usual, where he describes a [hot teenage] guy's swimsuit in a different way every time he mentions it. Were there others that I missed?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Laszlo k real good

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Laszlo k real good

he's

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Laszlo k real good

Yes

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I brought Satantango with me on this retreat and it turns out we are sharing the campground with a youth bible study and at first I felt sheepish but now find my choice of reading material to be revolutionary

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

Mishima always makes his good characters really hard to sympathize with and his bad characters (like Honda) unintentionally likable.

Most of his antagonists are elements of how he perceived himself (as soft, flabby, spiritually weak etc...) and the protagonists are just abstract opposites of that, basically walking statues and evil supermen.

I actually like Kiyoaki a lot so far. I just mean like, he really is a teen (which is good) Honestly I thought he was kind of bearing a lot of things Mishima didn't like (he's effeminate, he's the first real fop noble of his family disconnected from their samurai heritage) while also being the mouthpiece for his beautiful fatalism stuff. I read a tiny bit of Confessions of a Mask the other day and he seems to mirror a lot of what Mishima says about his own early childhood in that. (well, I'm assuming its sort of a fictionalized autobiography but maybe I'm wrong)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

DisDisDis posted:

I actually like Kiyoaki a lot so far. I just mean like, he really is a teen (which is good) Honestly I thought he was kind of bearing a lot of things Mishima didn't like (he's effeminate, he's the first real fop noble of his family disconnected from their samurai heritage) while also being the mouthpiece for his beautiful fatalism stuff. I read a tiny bit of Confessions of a Mask the other day and he seems to mirror a lot of what Mishima says about his own early childhood in that. (well, I'm assuming its sort of a fictionalized autobiography but maybe I'm wrong)

Well what I talked about is most obvious in Forbidden Colors, Yuichi is just not a believable character, he's just the opposite of Shunsuke, a dirty old man of the kind you find a lot of in Japan but who's at least kind of human. Most of the ideal statuesque guys seem a bit like stage personas rather than people, this is a weakness that gets less over time and in Sea of Fertility it's definitely a little better, but I usually find myself sympathizing with the character Mishima wants you to hate if only because he tries so hard to write them into the ground, like Honda. Honda is just Mishima if he had never become a novelist, stayed in his dad's company and become a salaryman and so on, but if the opposite if that is to demand some kind of devotion to self destruction and death and so on that option starts to not seem so bad.

Kiyoaki suddenly gets this weird change where he becomes obsessed with this girl, but only because he knows he can't have her anymore so he has to render her inaccessible first (by rejecting her until it's too late) before he can enjoy her, I really like Sea of Fertility but sometimes that change seems a little artificial, like Mishima describes a character up to a point, but then kind of possesses them and makes them do things that seem contrary to their nature only to prove a point.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jan 22, 2018

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
king, queen, knave was great as per usual for nabokov. i started 'my name is red' cause it got so many mentions here. pretty good so far... any story being told by dead guys and dogs has my interest.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
I just read The Radetzky March by Joseph Roth, it was really good
I really liked the part where this bureaucrat gets the Kaiser of the Austro-Hungarian empire to pay off the debt that the bureaucrat’s son racked up on trips to Vienna to gently caress a married woman and the Kaiser’s just kinda like sure whatever

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

Well what I talked about is most obvious in Forbidden Colors, Yuichi is just not a believable character, he's just the opposite of Shunsuke, a dirty old man of the kind you find a lot of in Japan but who's at least kind of human. Most of the ideal statuesque guys seem a bit like stage personas rather than people, this is a weakness that gets less over time and in Sea of Fertility it's definitely a little better, but I usually find myself sympathizing with the character Mishima wants you to hate if only because he tries so hard to write them into the ground, like Honda. Honda is just Mishima if he had never become a novelist, stayed in his dad's company and become a salaryman and so on, but if the opposite if that is to demand some kind of devotion to self destruction and death and so on that option starts to not seem so bad.

Kiyoaki suddenly gets this weird change where he becomes obsessed with this girl, but only because he knows he can't have her anymore so he has to render her inaccessible first (by rejecting her until it's too late) before he can enjoy her, I really like Sea of Fertility but sometimes that change seems a little artificial, like Mishima describes a character up to a point, but then kind of possesses them and makes them do things that seem contrary to their nature only to prove a point.

Shunsuke is chill because he's a gross skeleton man who thinks that women don't have souls

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
ursula le guin died. lame.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

:mrgw:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ursula k legone

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

She's in a better place now ... the literary fiction section

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
ursula k leguin was still alive?

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

J_RBG posted:

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

J_RBG posted:

:golfclap:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

J_RBG posted:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

J_RBG posted:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

J_RBG posted:

stealin' this brb

draculatreefores
Apr 2, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

ursula k leguin was still alive?

I felt like I was literally the only person in existence who hadn't heard of her yesterday. That poo poo makes me wonder about timeline splits, like maybe I was in a universe where she didn't exist until yesterday, then time forked, and now I'm in a universe where she has existed all along.

I'm sure that's probably what happened. I couldn't have just been uninformed about something.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

draculatreefores posted:

I felt like I was literally the only person in existence who hadn't heard of her yesterday. That poo poo makes me wonder about timeline splits, like maybe I was in a universe where she didn't exist until yesterday, then time forked, and now I'm in a universe where she has existed all along.

I'm sure that's probably what happened. I couldn't have just been uninformed about something.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandela_effect

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

draculatreefores posted:

That's stupid.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

draculatreefores posted:

I think it's more likely that you're just unaware of your surroundings

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

J_RBG posted:

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Lmao Bravest of the Lamps you are mostly a terrible poster but that ban is extremely funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I'm ill and can't focus on anything so I've been reading Poe's short stories and they suck and Poe sucks I hate him.