Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
White paint is terrible for hand painting too. It shows through anything underneath if it's not a white base.

But yeah probably touch it up with a lot of layers, it'll give you a better finish.

If it's the same shade as Tamiya, that is pretty thick unthinned out of the bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

tenderjerk posted:

am I reading this correctly? is the leo going to msrp at 1080 yen? If that's the case there's no excuse not to make an army of these

Gonna buy a few, but gotta leave room on the shelf for all the p bandai variants that had better be coming too

Come on bandai i am gonna need at least a space type w/ the backpack thrusters

and then clear off another shelf for the other oz mobile suit hg

and the rest of the gundams for the hgac line as well

Basically i need bandai to recognize wing as the best gundam series and provide gunpla accordingly

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

I'd recommend multiple thin layers, but if you're set on thickening the paint then put some in your pallet and give it a half minute or more for the water in said paint to dry out.

Make sure to thoroughly shake the bottles, some paints can be super stubborn about not separating (coughreapersaffronyellowcoughvallejometalliccopper) which can result in getting water-heavy pigment-light drops.

Puddin posted:

White paint is terrible for hand painting too. It shows through anything underneath if it's not a white base.

But yeah probably touch it up with a lot of layers, it'll give you a better finish.

If it's the same shade as Tamiya, that is pretty thick unthinned out of the bottle.

oh ill just live with it then, it would involve painting over a pretty dark purple. luckily this is for the cspam richard nixon group build, so i can just make a joke about the coverup being worse than the crime or something

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
Is the RG Z'gok good? I really like the design.

On another note, all of your backlogs put mine to shame.

I'm not sure how to feel about this.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Having a backlog is great as long as you're still excited about every suit.

I have a couple I bought on a whim that have sat on my shelf for a long time now, because the desire to build them is mostly gone. And don't even get me started on the Supernova Altron, I've pulled that thing out 2 or 3 times now trying to build it, only to get annoyed at how crap the quality is compared to real suits.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Mad Lupine posted:

Is the RG Z'gok good? I really like the design.

It's pretty good, yeah. As far as RG go it has the least fiddly buts prone to popping off (mainly just a few arm/leg coverings).

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I'm noticing a massive slew of garage kit remolds are popping up on ebay lately. was able to grab an older Daibadi GK for 40 (70-ish after shipping for speedy delivery) there's a really cool Vifam resin kit listed right now, among other things.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
https://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2018/01/rg-1144-tallgeese-i-ew-release-info.html

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Hell yes. Their info seems off though, this says it's planned for April for 2700 yen.

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
As a kid, I only ever saw Gundam Wing in five-minute chunks when I was at a friend's house or something, but that was enough to make me grow up thinking that the Wing suits are the best. The RG Wing was my first kit since I was in elementary school, can't wait to twirl it around while Leos fall apart.

Maybe I'll even look up what a tallgoose is?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DKD posted:

As a kid, I only ever saw Gundam Wing in five-minute chunks when I was at a friend's house or something, but that was enough to make me grow up thinking that the Wing suits are the best. The RG Wing was my first kit since I was in elementary school, can't wait to twirl it around while Leos fall apart.

Maybe I'll even look up what a tallgoose is?

It's Zech's suit, the prototype for Leos before they figured out the critical "explode if someone so much as glances at you" functions.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

punchymcpunch posted:

oh ill just live with it then, it would involve painting over a pretty dark purple. luckily this is for the cspam richard nixon group build, so i can just make a joke about the coverup being worse than the crime or something

A trick you can do is build up to the white by doing a base coat with a color that's lighter than what you're trying to paint over, but covers better than white paint. So instead of painting white over dark purple you're painting white over, like brown or blue or whatever, dpending on what kind of white you want to end up with

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

A trick you can do is build up to the white by doing a base coat with a color that's lighter than what you're trying to paint over, but covers better than white paint. So instead of painting white over dark purple you're painting white over, like brown or blue or whatever, dpending on what kind of white you want to end up with

yeah i (erroneously) thought i was being pretty clever by doing a white undercoat and then masking off some stripes and then spraying purple over it, neatly sidestepping that issue. i think probably it wouldve been easier to do it that way, especially since the touch-ups become purple over white then.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

punchymcpunch posted:

yeah i (erroneously) thought i was being pretty clever by doing a white undercoat and then masking off some stripes and then spraying purple over it, neatly sidestepping that issue. i think probably it wouldve been easier to do it that way, especially since the touch-ups become purple over white then.

Wouldn't call that erroneous, it's definitely easier to prime white and mask white areas early than to add large white details after the fact.

If you didn't know this already, it's a good idea after masking to hit the edges of the masked areas with the white again; this helps seal any gaps that would lead to other paints getting underneath the tape.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

i didnt know that! ill keep that in mind next time

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Xy Hapu posted:

Hell yes. Their info seems off though, this says it's planned for April for 2700 yen.

boo give me dark grey verniers or give me death

yes I know, people could just paint them.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 24, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Monaghan posted:

boo give me dark grey verniers or give me death

yes I know, peolple could just paint them.

P-Bandai

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

She's done! And I really hate working with stickers! ...But hey, she looks great and I loved working with such a simple design for once. :D Just a tiny, pleasing build~

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is that another new tallgeese model? I haven't even finished the latest one yet!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

StrixNebulosa posted:

She's done! And I really hate working with stickers! ...But hey, she looks great and I loved working with such a simple design for once. :D Just a tiny, pleasing build~

That is a cute as gently caress robot and now I wanna build a team of magical girls.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

PMush Perfect posted:

That is a cute as gently caress robot and now I wanna build a team of magical girls.

I already have, if you want to count these gundams as magical girl robots. (And I do!)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Bit specific, but has anyone been able to get a good connection between a set of HG IBO hips and a more conventional torso? I was exploring something and besides the fact I'd need to make some "female to female" adapter for the join, it looks like the hole in the IBO hips is too far forward for it to look right?

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Silver covers up drat near any color easily and also makes the white coat brighter too

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
You can also use heavily thinned silver to give any color a light sheen (nowhere near the depth of just using a metallic color, though)

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
God, I want that RG Talgeese

Looks so loving good. Now just gimme a RG Epyon/Heavyarms/Deathscythe Hell

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

There must be like seven bucks worth of gunpla here!

This is also good.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

While it's mere existence is awesome for obvious reasons, I'm kind of disappointed now that it's looking like the RG Tallgeese's design seems pretty final already? I thought they would do more with it aside from making the ankles fat, it looks like they started to do something with the hyper-detailed thruster wings but just kind of . . . stopped there.

Doubly strange because it looks like it has a unique inner frame, so it's not like they didn't expend some effort into it. The MG is great though so it's definitely not the worst thing in the world that they just shrunk it down and called it a day.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

asterioth posted:

Fuccccck that looks good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

asterioth posted:

I cracked and bought the P-Bandai Master Grade Heavyarms Kai, so you'll probably see that one released next :pseudo:.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

It's Zech's suit, the prototype for Leos before they figured out the critical "explode if someone so much as glances at you" functions.

That’s the Tallgeese. A tallgoose is presumably a large waterfowl.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

asterioth posted:

Given the lack of backpack holes on a Leo I wonder how well one could just swap all the HG Leo parts onto the RG Goose for kitbash purposes? I really want an EWAC or MLRS Leo.

How did you get a photo of my desktop five months in the future

DKD
Dec 25, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

That’s the Tallgeese. A tallgoose is presumably a large waterfowl.

But Canada already has the lumber gundam? ??

Do we know if there is a canonically independent neo-Quebec?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
USA Gundam Store has the first known preorders - hurry up, HLJ or Gundam Planet :ohdear:

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I cracked and bought the P-Bandai Master Grade Heavyarms Kai, so you'll probably see that one released next :pseudo:.

I got that too! Trowa buddies!

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I got the altron, and the heavyarms and tallgeese 3 are next on my list. Can't hold out any longer.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 370 days!

Monaghan posted:

I got the altron, and the heavyarms and tallgeese 3 are next on my list. Can't hold out any longer.

I pledged I would never do p-bandai when I started getting into gunpla, but I may have to break it, because a Wu Fei MS is the only on I don't have, the Altron is sweet at hell, and while the other base Wing MGs are decent, that MG Shenlong suuuucks, it just seems so bland, and that's before I learned his dragon arm can't even stretch :wtc:

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

tenderjerk posted:

I pledged I would never do p-bandai when I started getting into gunpla, but I may have to break it, because a Wu Fei MS is the only on I don't have, the Altron is sweet at hell, and while the other base Wing MGs are decent, that MG Shenlong suuuucks, it just seems so bland, and that's before I learned his dragon arm can't even stretch :wtc:

I really want all those p-bandai EW wing kits, super dangerous ><

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

tenderjerk posted:

I pledged I would never do p-bandai when I started getting into gunpla

Why is that? Just curious.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Incredibly expensive 'limited time exclusive!' chasing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 370 days!

Blackchamber posted:

Why is that? Just curious.
whole mess of reasons: I hate to support superinflated 3rd party markets and p-bandai seems to be ripe for that, i can barely justify the cost of conventional MG purchases to myself (until I get serious about painting anyway), nothing in the line really jumps out at me

they're still cheap(ish) in japan, right? there's an outside chance I'm travelling there this year