Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Well if it makes you feel better, https://www.facebook.com/Patrick.Rothfuss/ has pretty much turned into a war between Rothfuss defenders and people asking about the third book.

To the person asking "link some posts", literally every lovely webcomic post, clickhole link, or whatever is turned into a "but where's the third book?" war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
It's funny/sad seeing all the people happily saying they've read the first two books multiple times and praising him as an author without equal in the literary world.

No wonder he'll never publish the third book. He knows he's a hack who got lucky and can never, ever live up to what his audience is invested in believing.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Rothfuss is like Christopher Paolini, but he doesn't have the excuse of being an isolated, home-schooled 16 year old boy.

Paolini used to make me really mad when I was younger but now I kinda like him and respect his hustle even though his work sucks.

Rothfuss, on the other hand,

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

PJOmega posted:

It's funny/sad seeing all the people happily saying they've read the first two books multiple times and praising him as an author without equal in the literary world.

No wonder he'll never publish the third book. He knows he's a hack who got lucky and can never, ever live up to what his audience is invested in believing.

I bet you $20 he hasn't written on five sequential days for half a decade. His focus has weakened. His thoughts are suffused with hard earned knowledge- that word count, syllables, and complexity of thought do not by necessity overlap. His waning desire to write erodes more every day. There is always a next excuse, a new way out of putting the axe to the grindstone and his fingers to the keyboard.

Rothfuss convinced a lot of people he was a good writer. But when the truth became apparent, no one fell farther than Patrick himself.

The man thought he sat the throne. Can you blame him for giving up when he realized he wasn't even part of the court?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Captain Hotbutt posted:

I'm working on China Mieville for that thread first, but I'll let you know if/when I become jaded towards The Kingkiller Chronicles in the future.

I also think the third book will come out just in time for Christmas. I also think that Rothfuss is kind of a twat. The one time I live-streamed Penny-Arcade's dumb DnD session I found him kind of insufferable. Welp that's my story thanks for listening.

Jesus Christ. Can we all take a step back for a second. Let's put aside BotL's glib superiority as he beats at the last vestiges of a skeletal horse. And let us ignore the bizarre commitment of Jivjov in allegedly creating a parachute account to defend a guy who claims the banner of "feminist' while writing gross blog posts about how the Hobbit is poo poo because it's the cinematic equivalent of a girl he wanted to gently caress in high school who grew up into a woman whose sexual proclivities he disproves of. No, let us spend a second in contemplation of Captain Hotbutt. This poor soul is admitting to us that he may indeed, at any moment, go from reading Mieville to Rothfuss. In one swing. No gradual descent into the poo poo; he's not doing this piecemeal. He's going to read something genuinely great, not just within the ghetto of the SF/Fantasy genre but in the scope of literature (what text he's talking about specifically is unclear, but I'd encourage you to imagine your favorite Mieville text. For me, in the wake of Le Guin's passing, he's reading Embassytown, a novel she heaped praise upon. In you mind, maybe he's venturing into the far reaches of New Crobuzon via The Scar, or maybe he's wandering the surreal world of The City & the City while progressively realizing that it is only a few scant steps from our own reality.) He'll finish that experience and be hungry for more. Certainly genre fiction can give him another thought-provoking experience? Then he's going to take the plunge and dive into Rothfuss. He'll ask himself, "what exactly is the patient, cut-flower sound of a man who is waiting to die?" and all at once he'll realize it is the sound of awkward masturbation as the author imagines his 16 year old virgin self loving a goddess of sex and death so well that she will refuse to believe that he isn't the smoothest Lothario who has ever lived. What an experience to move so quickly between lofty highs and the lowest of lows!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

There's no way that anything written by china mieville could fall under the phrase 'genuinely great, not just within the ghetto of the SF/Fantasy genre but in the scope of literature '

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
There's not that great a difference between reading Mieville and reading Rothfuss.

Perhaps they should consider reading some literature.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Karnegal posted:

For me, in the wake of Le Guin's passing, he's reading Embassytown, a novel she heaped praise upon.

Awww, gently caress.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

PJOmega posted:

Well he started The Name of the Wind when he was 20 years old and it took him 15 years to finish, since it was apparently a "hot mess" in its first draft. He was nearly 40 by the time he published the second book. Maybe making what I presume to be a fair amount of cash writing out his juvenile fantasies to an adoring audience finally helped him get over the tragedy of not getting to touch girls in high school?

Also Embassytown is quite good and entertaining and there's only one awkward sex scene that I can remember.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I actually really liked Embassytown, but haven't been able to get into Mieville's other stuff, even though a lot of people tend to like it. I'm also someone who still technically likes the first Kingkiller book, so whatever, but I didn't think Embassytown was that bad. Maybe a little stupid in places, but not bad.

e: I guess I should prevent myself from being shoved down the jivjov hole by saying I understand there's a difference between liking something and it having any actual quality to it. I won't jump to defend it or anything, I just don't know what's so bad about it.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 24, 2018

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I didn't dislike Name of the Wind much at first. I thought the pacing was off, and some of the dialog was certainly insipid, but I kept going based on the overwhelming praise it received assuming that interesting things would happen. It was more by the time I got to the end and read those pages of horse bartering and country bumpkin talk and the blue fire that was definitely a sign of the Chandrian but then was actually a dragon not related to the Chandrian but still the Chandrian had actually been there and left a clue... or did they? Well, that's when I realized the payof wasn't coming and started to think about what I'd actually read. I briefly considered reading the second book but the plot summary is enough for me.

It was never a page turner at any point, though. By contrast, I think I read each of the Black Company books in less than a week. They're not to everyone's taste and I wouldn't argue that they're groundbreaking pieces of literature but the plot drat well moves forward.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

eXXon posted:

I didn't dislike Name of the Wind much at first. I thought the pacing was off, and some of the dialog was certainly insipid, but I kept going based on the overwhelming praise it received assuming that interesting things would happen. It was more by the time I got to the end and read those pages of horse bartering and country bumpkin talk and the blue fire that was definitely a sign of the Chandrian but then was actually a dragon not related to the Chandrian but still the Chandrian had actually been there and left a clue... or did they? Well, that's when I realized the payof wasn't coming and started to think about what I'd actually read. I briefly considered reading the second book but the plot summary is enough for me.
I think this is the way most people got acquainted with it - reading with a growing sense of disappointment. Then, depending on your level of tolerance for bullshit, you either arrive at book 2 where the stupid is unleashed in full or pause and think about what you were reading and, well, you get the average Rothfussian goon.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

eXXon posted:

It was never a page turner at any point, though. By contrast, I think I read each of the Black Company books in less than a week. They're not to everyone's taste and I wouldn't argue that they're groundbreaking pieces of literature but the plot drat well moves forward.

The original Black Company trilogy is pretty good for what it is, and despite the sequels its a complete story you can read and enjoy in its entirety without last chapter reveals or dangling plot hooks. Past that it starts getting...weird, but fun for the most part, and Glen Cook clearly didnt want to let the franchise go and kept writing more convulated situations and plots.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

pentyne posted:

The original Black Company trilogy is pretty good for what it is, and despite the sequels its a complete story you can read and enjoy in its entirety without last chapter reveals or dangling plot hooks. Past that it starts getting...weird, but fun for the most part, and Glen Cook clearly didnt want to let the franchise go and kept writing more convulated situations and plots.

Black Company was great because it was one of the few books I had found at that time where the main characters were relatively minor in the grand scheme of things (at least at the beginning) from a power, knowledge, and overall importance perspective. Croaker is the company historian and it's obvious that he (and most of the rest of the company) don't really understand magic, the Taken, the overall status of the war, etc.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

FYI there's a new Black Company book coming out this year. It's set sometime during the second trilogy I believe.

Octopoon
Jan 22, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
trish

Octopoon
Jan 22, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
china mieville is a domestic abuser

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

anilEhilated posted:

I think this is the way most people got acquainted with it - reading with a growing sense of disappointment. Then, depending on your level of tolerance for bullshit, you either arrive at book 2 where the stupid is unleashed in full or pause and think about what you were reading and, well, you get the average Rothfussian goon.

This was me. It was highly recommended by a lot of people so I read it.

Enthusiastically at first and then like "what the gently caress is this?" Since I am a reading masochist I read book two but thought the gently caress goddess and sex ninjas were ridiculous and realized I actually don't want to read book three anyway.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Enthusiastically at first and then like "what the gently caress is this?" Since I am a reading masochist I read book two but thought the gently caress goddess and sex ninjas were ridiculous and realized I actually don't want to read book three anyway.

Basically my experience. The first book hooked me initially, but began to unravel toward the end. I read the second because I wanted to see where the story went...and it didn't, and on top of that I got half a book devoted to wish fulfilment fantasies with a sex fairy and the Ninjas Who Don't Understand Causality.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Don't forget him spending 2 years with pirates and then saying you're not interested in that part. But hey several chapters devoted to fairy sex. I don't know why that part pissed me off so much.

Octopoon
Jan 22, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
hail and well met, my name is fatrick root and today i'm going to tell you about my first love. i was a boy of sixteen, rosy and tumescent, my desire drifting hither and thither like the briny breeze of a high tide. she was an electric hand dryer in the mall toilet. her affection was sweet and uncomplicated when luck was in my favour, impossible when it wasn't; our pleasures together were a mainsail on a leaping ship that we climbed together and then flung ourselves off together hand in hand to come down like meteors in a bloody splattered mess on the unrelenting deck. but in the end they took the sweet crevice of winds away from me; the toilet was relocated, the space refurbished, and the sacred site where i first joined my netherparts in holy matrimony became a kfc

Octopoon
Jan 22, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
many a time i gnawed the sorrowful yet fingerlickin good drumstick of memory in that terrible, wonderful place

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

calandryll posted:

Don't forget him spending 2 years with pirates and then saying you're not interested in that part. But hey several chapters devoted to fairy sex. I don't know why that part pissed me off so much.

Hasn't "I did an interesting thing, but I won't bore you with the details" happened more than once in the books so far, too? It's so stupid.

Also, glad to have you back, Avshalom. You're honestly one of my favorite parts of these threads, and I hope you don't get banned again.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

calandryll posted:

Because it's him trying to be edgy and "defying tradition" or whatever other bullshit labels people give him that don't actually apply to his writing.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

SpacePig posted:

Also, glad to have you back, Avshalom. You're honestly one of my favorite parts of these threads, and I hope you don't get banned again.
Thirty-third time's the charm!

Octopoon
Jan 22, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
i used to be just a regular poster, bans and probations had power over me just like anybody else, but then i met the sex fairy

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ugh, if this is gonna turn into a sex fairy thread I'm gonna have to skip through it until it gets to the mean giving tree part.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Except Rothfuss isn't even original when he has a character say, "I won't bore you with the details, suffice to say I did these things on my travels."

That's straight out of Book of the New Sun.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Pretty much. I can count the number of books I've put down unfinished on one hand, but as I stopped being a teenager I realized just how bad Rothfuss actually was.

Has anyone called him out on the long section about how Kvothe's parents not being married made it a purer, truer love which was in no way justifying him having a kid out of wedlock?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Pretty much. I can count the number of books I've put down unfinished on one hand, but as I stopped being a teenager I realized just how bad Rothfuss actually was.

Has anyone called him out on the long section about how Kvothe's parents not being married made it a purer, truer love which was in no way justifying him having a kid out of wedlock?

No one has called him out on anything. Not in a way he's actually addressed or at risk of addressing. The man has his cult that will continue to praise him ceaselessly. They're nerds. They're defined by their consumption. If they acknowledge something they have defended is bad it would cause so much dissonance that they simply might cease to exist.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

PJOmega posted:

No one has called him out on anything. Not in a way he's actually addressed or at risk of addressing. The man has his cult that will continue to praise him ceaselessly. They're nerds. They're defined by their consumption. If they acknowledge something they have defended is bad it would cause so much dissonance that they simply might cease to exist.

The cult is falling apart screaming at him on facebook because they want the third book.

He is acting like they are making him do the Bataan Death March and why didn't they like the Auri book?

I am sitting in the corner laughing.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

The cult is falling apart screaming at him on facebook because they want the third book.

He is acting like they are making him do the Bataan Death March and why didn't they like the Auri book?

I am sitting in the corner laughing.

The cult is screaming at people who ask about the third book on Facebook.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I'd say it's about 50-50 between cultists and haters on that FB page.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Rothfuss, like GRRM, is going to cash that TV/movie check and live off the royalties while blind and naive fans defend him until the heat death of the universe.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Atlas Hugged posted:

Except Rothfuss isn't even original when he has a character say, "I won't bore you with the details, suffice to say I did these things on my travels."

That's straight out of Book of the New Sun.

Yeah, but it's rightly ridiculed when nothing else has happened in your book up to the point where you deploy that line. Like if The book of the New Sun were paced in Rothfus-style, Severian would still be hanging out at the torture's guild mid-way into the third book.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

My power fantasy involves Karen Lord physically beating up Fatrick Rothfuck

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Captain Hotbutt posted:

I'm working on China Mieville for that thread first...

You're switching from vodka to Thunderbird and the transition is going to be unpleasant.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Octopoon posted:

china mieville is a domestic abuser

Is there a source for this? Google is giving me nothing significant aside from an unsourced comment on a Reddit post.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Karnegal posted:

Yeah, but it's rightly ridiculed when nothing else has happened in your book up to the point where you deploy that line. Like if The book of the New Sun were paced in Rothfus-style, Severian would still be hanging out at the torture's guild mid-way into the third book.

Oh for sure. I was just saying that in addition to skipping over something that might have been interesting to read (it wouldn't have been), having the character say, "I'm not going to bore you with descriptions of these events because you can guess for yourself what it would have been like," isn't even original.

Wolfe did it very appropriately where once we'd seen it once we knew exactly what the other instances would be like but Rothfuss was just being smug.

"I've done so much that I can't even fit it all in."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Karnegal posted:

Is there a source for this? Google is giving me nothing significant aside from an unsourced comment on a Reddit post.

http://bidisha-online.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/emotional-violence-and-social-power.html

I think 'domestic abuser' is egging the pudding a little bit, but he doesn't really sound like a very nice bloke (presuming all the nebulous allegations in this post are true).