Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
There are certain websites that make p.bandai a less extreme purchase. HLJ and bandaionline.com are both places where you can get them for roughly the same price they are in Japan, and if you get several at once the shipping cost becomes negligible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Yeah as far as exclusives go its a lot easier with P-bandai than say... trying to get some san diego comic-con exclusive type stuff.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

tenderjerk posted:

they're still cheap(ish) in japan, right? there's an outside chance I'm travelling there this year

Compared to outside japan they're waay cheaper. There's quite a few HG's with a base price of 600 yen (less than 6 USD), before shipping and resell. Go to HLJ.com, they list items in their yen price if you're curious about anything in particular.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Has anyone bought the Hi Res Model for the Wing Zero Custom? Kinda a bummer the individual frame is pre-built, but it looks like they fixed my key complained with the MG WZC -- namely, the feathers appear to actually be attached inside the wings instead of being on the outside and falling off all the time.

Also, I'm getting very close to finishing my MG Gundam Wing collection. I have all of the regular models (and all but 2 of them built), and those P Bandai are starting to look a lot more attractive -- even if they are just recolored versions of the existing models with different weapons.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

EVGA Longoria posted:

Has anyone bought the Hi Res Model for the Wing Zero Custom? Kinda a bummer the individual frame is pre-built, but it looks like they fixed my key complained with the MG WZC -- namely, the feathers appear to actually be attached inside the wings instead of being on the outside and falling off all the time.

Also, I'm getting very close to finishing my MG Gundam Wing collection. I have all of the regular models (and all but 2 of them built), and those P Bandai are starting to look a lot more attractive -- even if they are just recolored versions of the existing models with different weapons.

IIRC it has some of the same issues, loose parts and what not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GDMKB1eTBs

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
The FMP love train keeps on coming: Aoshima's new Arbalest now has a version with the booster thingy so you can make Tuatha de Danaan launch noises. https://hlj.com/product/AOS05560/Sci

Interestingly, it costs exactly the same as the non-booster version, and the booster is a roughly 1600 yen add-on... so if you've got pre-orders for the non-boosty boy, maybe think of switching it up. Plus the booster comes with a stand for everything.

C'mooooon, in-scale Rk-92 or Behemoth :getin:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can anybody translate the Evolution Point stuff here? What is Fine Build?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

A pass through Google Translate says it's just a general "we're making HG's better" description. Finer details and part separation, more intricate assembly, that kinda thing.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Basically 'more frames, less stickers'

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Neurolimal posted:

Basically 'more frames, less stickers'

:woop:

I HATE STICKERS THIS IS THE BEST NEWS

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A pass through Google Translate says it's just a general "we're making HG's better" description. Finer details and part separation, more intricate assembly, that kinda thing.

Sounds about right. The new Act Zaku HG actually has a freakin gear system in the head that turns the eye sensor as you turn the head.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

The 'Gunpla Evolution Project' creates a new standard of products for the next generation of Gunpla. The 'Evolution Point' for the 'HGAC 1/144 Leo', the 4th stage of the project, is the 'Fine Build'. A realization of both high poseability and detail, it provides a whole new building experience.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Gundam Planet has preorders open for the Leo and Goose, gogogogogo

Marx Headroom posted:

Sounds about right. The new Act Zaku HG actually has a freakin gear system in the head that turns the eye sensor as you turn the head.

poo poo, that's awesome. The MG 2.0 Zaku does this too.

Does the RG have the same thing?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
The RG Zaku 2 has that as well

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Origin Bugu also has the monoeye gear.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
The SD Sinanju also.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 371 days!
so any MG GM frames that come out now use the same GM 2.0 frame, right? I'm just about finished with my 2.0 and it's ugly and beautiful, and man is this frame sturdy and detailed. I've only built 5 MGs but this is far and away my favorite. That goofy-looking GM Sniper Custom that just came out would complement this wonderfully, and I'd love to build another GM

tenderjerk fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 26, 2018

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I think the MG GM Sniper Custom and MG Sniper II use the MG RX-78-2 2.0 frame. It’s still considered a great kit though.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

brainwrinkle posted:

I think the MG GM Sniper Custom and MG Sniper II use the MG RX-78-2 2.0 frame. It’s still considered a great kit though.

So did the GM 2.0, which means things work out there quite nicely. It's also true of the GM Command Colony Type.

Jerk's right. It's a great frame.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MJP posted:

The FMP love train keeps on coming: Aoshima's new Arbalest now has a version with the booster thingy so you can make Tuatha de Danaan launch noises. https://hlj.com/product/AOS05560/Sci

Interestingly, it costs exactly the same as the non-booster version, and the booster is a roughly 1600 yen add-on... so if you've got pre-orders for the non-boosty boy, maybe think of switching it up. Plus the booster comes with a stand for everything.

C'mooooon, in-scale Rk-92 or Behemoth :getin:

The Limited Version Arbalest had the booster too; good to see it return.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I have the Alter al-mecha Arbalest (and the Savage, ribbit ribbit) and 2 other smaller Arbalest figures. I really don't need the model kit... but I am still very tempted.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Blackchamber posted:

I have the Alter al-mecha Arbalest (and the Savage, ribbit ribbit) and 2 other smaller Arbalest figures. I really don't need the model kit... but I am still very tempted.

drat you and your $160 frog boy, I love those Savages so much. I wish there was a Gunpla leg that looked close enough and could still support a Gusion or Man Rodi so I could get close enough to a Savage without dumping out the wallet.

I've got the old Aoshima Arbalest I bought from Midjack, one each of all three recently reissued M9 Gernsbacks, and the new Arbalest with the booster.

I think I have a problem

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Its definitely a rabbit hole. I'm atleast trying to stick to me 'hero unit only' rule to help keep my backlog from inflating and bleeding my wallet dry, otherwise I'd need the Gernsbacks, the Robot Spirits Savage and the Codarl. I have some of the gashapon stuff so I do technically have an example of them.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I'm going to scratch build an Amazing Rapid.

The way I see it, I need an Origin high-mobility (any type) and the Amazing booster pack, correct?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ka0 posted:

I'm going to scratch build an Amazing Rapid.

The way I see it, I need an Origin high-mobility (any type) and the Amazing booster pack, correct?

Yup. Pretty sure you don't even need glue, you can just mount them on the shoulders like that. You'll want to scrounge up some ball polycaps for mounting the rocket pods though. The included plastic ones are crap.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yup. Pretty sure you don't even need glue, you can just mount them on the shoulders like that. You'll want to scrounge up some ball polycaps for mounting the rocket pods though. The included plastic ones are crap.

I could scrap up something using a balldeen arms too. Although I'm sure I have a spare set of rubber polycaps somehwere.

You'd think I would have the amazing booster instead of, say, the goddamned portent flyer.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The new Action Bases are much better than the old Action Bases

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

The new Action Bases are much better than the old Action Bases
I have found one problem though and that's that some of the larger MGs are just way too heavy for the single anchoring point setup.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
https://twitter.com/dance_w_skelton/status/957195866472775680

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

C-SPAM thread is bringing the good poo poo again:

punchymcpunch posted:

It's a 1/100 HG Epyon kit from 1995 and it's a little bit rickety, to be honest. When you put the two halves of the leg sections together, you get panel lines that don't line up, and it's got very loose foot hinges and a hinged gut, so it's not really one for rad action posing. I've painted it up in stripey purple to evoke a classic burglar costume, and added a few very subtle period appropriate touches.

The stripes kinda got away from me a bit, and that peace symbol decal on its butt really got messed up, look at all those air bubbles. I thought about fixing that stuff, but of course, it's not the crime that gets you, it's the coverup. So just brazen it out. Yeah.

I briefly toyed with the idea of a Roger Stone-esque Nixon back tatt but I don't want that staring at me from my shelf, so I went instead with some Tricky Dicky knuckle tattoos.

That sort of anchor-shaped device at the hip is a grappling hook, which I guess burglars use. Batman uses one.

It's a transforming gundam, so here it is in vehicle mode. It's a weird kit, it's a bit tricky to get it to stand up but if you want to do an extreme gymnastic manoevre like this it's rock solid. Uhhhh just what you'd expect from a catburglar! Yeah!

Here's the high res gallery if you wanna gasp in awe at the world's most tastefully decorated gundam: https://imgur.com/a/W50oj

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

I guess there's an hg Crossbone X-0 coming?

http://www.gunjap.net/site/?p=331756

But it's p-bandai. So, uh, what's the best way to order p-bandai stuff in the United States?

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Man both the kits I wanted to build are 80+ on Amazon right now that's kinda steep

Any suggestions for pretty involved MG kits? There seems to be a pretty wide range of how complex they get from looking at a few manuals on 1999, are there any that are noted for having an obnoxious amount of parts that take forever to put together?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

garfield hentai posted:

Man both the kits I wanted to build are 80+ on Amazon right now that's kinda steep

Any suggestions for pretty involved MG kits? There seems to be a pretty wide range of how complex they get from looking at a few manuals on 1999, are there any that are noted for having an obnoxious amount of parts that take forever to put together?

MG Unicorn and derivatives fit this description.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

MG Unicorn doesn't really have a huge partscount, and it's not going to take forever to put together.

If you want that, go pick up the Ex-S or maybe the Sazabi.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

garfield hentai posted:

What kits are they?

Obviously the more out there designs with weapons and backpacks are gonna be more involved, and the more standard suits will be pretty short on the I sane amount of parts.

Line the Psycho Zaku box is as big as a PG box and has 37 runners in it, where the GM Sniper II had something like 16.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
I've had my eye on the Sazabi too but it's also obnoxiously expensive on Amazon. I did quite enjoy the RG Unicorn and wouldn't necessarily be adverse to doing more of it although I have heard the MG is notoriously finicky in that it falls apart when you try to pose it which might be a bit of an issue since I'm just shoving these all in my cubicle where the support team comes over and fiddles with them (they're all early 20s nerds who have loud arguments about which Dragonball character could beat up other Dragonball characters until the finance team comes over and yells at them to shut up)

Puddin posted:

What kits are they?

Obviously the more out there designs with weapons and backpacks are gonna be more involved, and the more standard suits will be pretty short on the I sane amount of parts.

Line the Psycho Zaku box is as big as a PG box and has 37 runners in it, where the GM Sniper II had something like 16.

The Psycho Zaku was one of them, along with the FA-78 Thunderbolt. Both look really fun due to all the stuff they come with and the fact they match up canonically is a nice bonus

garfield hentai fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 29, 2018

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

build a cheap mg but make sure the joints are all very loose, and then when someone fiddles with it and the leg falls off, burst into tears and say THAT COST THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

garfield hentai posted:

The Psycho Zaku was one of them, along with the FA-78 Thunderbolt. Both look really fun due to all the stuff they come with and the fact they match up canonically is a nice bonus

I've got both of those in my backorder, the FA thunderbolt box is surprisingly small, but has a lot of fiddly parts.

I've made the decision to leave the elbow/knee covers off as they look terrible to fit.

Saying that though, the PG exia was pretty fiddly in places and I enjoyed every moment making it.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
On a related note, the price of the MGs I want to build are making me think "you know, for that kind of money, I can totally justify my first PG". I still didn't get my airbrush poo poo and realistically I should absolutely practice on a cheap kit before I use it on something that matters and it's over 100 dollars for just plastic stuff and I have to spend a fuckton on unexpected car repairs and I barely have room to put it anywhere and I can't at all justify getting one and yeah I'll probably get one really soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

garfield hentai posted:

On a related note, the price of the MGs I want to build are making me think "you know, for that kind of money, I can totally justify my first PG". I still didn't get my airbrush poo poo and realistically I should absolutely practice on a cheap kit before I use it on something that matters and it's over 100 dollars for just plastic stuff and I have to spend a fuckton on unexpected car repairs and I barely have room to put it anywhere and I can't at all justify getting one and yeah I'll probably get one really soon

Look on non amazon sites tbh, usagundam has the pyscho at $82 and the Thunderbolt is OOS, but normally goes for $66. Generally Amazon is pretty bad for pricing on kits most of the time.