Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I fully expected Frieza to have part of his tail destroyed, in reference to when he got hit by the Spirit Bomb. I feel like they were directly referencing that when he got enveloped by Toppo's attack.

It had to have been a reference, what with his expression when he turns back up. That particular grin with the one eye swollen shut is right outta Namek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I fully expected Frieza to have part of his tail destroyed, in reference to when he got hit by the Spirit Bomb. I feel like they were directly referencing that when he got enveloped by Toppo's attack.

They were

Just instead of a Spirit Bomb it was a gently caress You Ball complete with sound follow up thrashing that made Namek feel like a warm sunny vacation dream while he quietly bleeds out

But I still have $10 down that it ends with Goku and Freiza and makes that lovely 10 second clip of Heroes from way long ago accurate

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Yeah, Toppo is going to clear out 17, Geets is gonna clear out Toppo, Jiren is going to one punch him for revenge, and then we'll have Goku and Frieza as our final 2 for U7.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean, Vegeta's just stronger than him in the Saiyan saga. He evens up the odds against Kaioken through becoming a large monkey. He's just straight up stronger at that point Kaioken or not.

Then come Namek saga where Goku has been training at 1000 times Earth's gravity or whatever he's surpassed Vegeta by a crazy amount and it just kinda stays that way for a while. After that point any time Vegeta gets ahead of Goku it's when Goku's out of action and by the time he's back he's surpassed him again. Vegeta can get stronger than Goku he just can't stay stronger than Goku.

As stated, the kaioken burned Goku out completely, while Vegeta rolled off the kamehameha. The bullshit powerup gave Goku the strength edge for the moment, but not the overall victory. If Vegeta didn't make a fake moon and just came back down, Goku was gone.

Vegeta was also more powerful than Goku for "most" of the Freeza saga. He was stronger on Namek while Goku trained mostly offscreen, Goku was stronger when he arrived, then Goku was MIA and Vegeta was stronger, then Goku came back stronger.

Android, Vegeta, was stronger due to Goku's heart problems.

Cell, it went back and forth with Goku getting the better mastery of SSJ at the end.

Buu, Vegeta was "stronger" at first until you find out Goku was hiding SSJ3 (still SSJ3 is worthless, so he probably would have lost just for using it).

BoG - Vegeta was stronger with "my Bulma" until they GAVE Goku the same B.S. powerup they could have given Vegeta.

RoF - equal, maybe. It's implied Vegeta trained more with Whis so he may be slightly better.

After RoF - Vegeta trained more, and was better than Goku.

Tournament 1 - Goku figured out how to stack kaioken, stronger than Vegeta.

Tournament 2 - Vegeta can match the kaioken now with pure power in his SSB form, but Goku got another new powerup that makes a lot of that power irrelevant since it autoblocks and possibly autoattacks.

So it really is back and forth, with Vegeta having more *training* advantages and Goku having more powerup advantages.

Also, what a great episode for Super. And I agree that U7 will win because of everyone forgetting about that guy at the end. Also, good timing for 5 minutes left.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

how did gero do it

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Jiren is actually going to be the one to eliminate Toppo. He will be forced to take action after coming to terms with Toppo giving up on Justice and dirtying the honour of the Pride Troopers.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

how did gero do it

Math.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

It's going to be funny seeing evil, glowing Toppo quietly sitting in the stands after he gets eliminated.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Manatee Cannon posted:

we already knew beerus wasn't trying against goku, that's not a retcon

we were told that, yeah, but you can't possibly argue that it wasn't weird that SSG goku made beerus fight as hard as he did while jiren was literally able to stop every one of his attacks with just a single finger

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

tbp posted:

we were told that, yeah, but you can't possibly argue that it wasn't weird that SSG goku made beerus fight as hard as he did while jiren was literally able to stop every one of his attacks with just a single finger

Sometimes he just looks at the attacks and they stop.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

tbp posted:

Beerus wanted to see what was up with this Super Saiyan God business so he was probably not moving at his absolute most ruthless or using hakai the way he probably would have if, say, he was awake to do his job when Buu was on the rampage.

Jiren is freakishly, atrociously strong. Isn't it suggested he beat the poo poo out of Belmod for being evil?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he was training goku the whole fight. goku even says himself what's happening at the end. nothing ever implied beerus wasn't way stronger and they specifically say it. idk what to tell you here

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Toppo will power back down after getting knocked out and openly admit that, whether he survives or not, he's made a choice and done something he can never walk back on and Jiren and all the Troopers know it

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Also the prophet fish told Beerus that Goku would be his greatest rival so the bored lazy dumb evil cat has an interest in grooming and keeping patience for once over wholesale slaughter of innocents while Freiza hohos on his payroll

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Tell me this: each of Piccolo's severed limbs is going to regenerate into another Piccolo, they're all going to fuse and wreck Jiren and Tooop by growing really big

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

just pray to christ (but not goku) that after Super ends we get Super GT and a stray Namekian or Gohan's new green kid brother heads out into space with the other kids to be more relevant than Piccolo's admittedly intense series grand finale of taking down two God Namekians with his signature killer move after a driven moment with his son and other two halves

EDIT: please understand I mean praying to goku is fine and smart and normal, but just not in this one particular case for Namek's sake

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

tbp posted:

We've already seen what happens when Beerus isn't loving around and its Zamasu erased in under five seconds.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Frieza and Toppo were both great this week, but 17's MVP. He's punching way out of his weight class here, but he's hung in there.

If I were U7 at this point, I'd blow up the clock and claim time ran out.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561?lang=en

Frieza this episode.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

OB_Juan posted:

Frieza and Toppo were both great this week, but 17's MVP. He's punching way out of his weight class here, but he's hung in there.

If I were U7 at this point, I'd blow up the clock and claim time ran out.

17 for Destroyer of U7. Sailing the universe in his boat with his family, nuking bullshit and preserving life and growth. Cold-verbal bullying Shin into being useful.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I honestly at first thought the rock was thrown at Freeza just to add insult but 17 with the smart move once again. Jiren made me go holy poo poo but God of Destruction Toppo is like goddamn.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I do like how Freeza just can't not be smug. The second he deals with a serious threat he acts like he's king of the mountain again.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I'm pretty sure with what 17 implied, his plan is to goad Toppo into a powerful attack to break his barrier, then drop his barrier and suicide against it. Sure, he dies, but Toppo gets disqualified, he has Frieza tucked away, and they outnumber Jiren. It just seems that when he mumbled to himself that survival was way more important than justice or evil, he made a decision himself.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

God Dragon Ball is so weird. As a kid I grew up with Z, went back and watched like 80% of Dragonball in my late teens (never saw the piccolo arc go figure) then dropped off *entirely* for years upon years. Goku in general was a punchline and I just wrote it off as a show that was entertaining only because I was younger and "heck I bet it was dumb like Inuyasha".

Xenoverse 2 was a on the whim buy and it kind of made me reaffirm that it's a bad show but with some neat powers but eh, fun enough.

The game did however make me remember Goku Black was a thing and just jumped straight into the arc. Didn't bother catching up and just kinda watched a few episodes near the end (basically the start of the final encounter, the fusion and everything after that) and it got its hooks back in me more then I realized. Now I'm sitting here playing FighterZ, watching Super on a weekly basis and I have a tiny Blue Goku by my TV and man gently caress me I forgot just how much personality the series has. I'm genuinely glad to have Dragonball fever again. It's a fun ride.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Kurui Reiten posted:

I'm pretty sure with what 17 implied, his plan is to goad Toppo into a powerful attack to break his barrier, then drop his barrier and suicide against it. Sure, he dies, but Toppo gets disqualified, he has Frieza tucked away, and they outnumber Jiren. It just seems that when he mumbled to himself that survival was way more important than justice or evil, he made a decision himself.

You could have a poo poo serious moment of Toppo realizing what he's done, and demanding an erasure disqualification to compensate as he turns his back on Destruction and side with Jiren's ideals before he's gone

Also don't you tell me that with the reveal of angels being able to reverse time that there won't be some eventual use of it at/near the end of the match

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Kurui Reiten posted:

That'd be pretty clever, if he did that. He's got something planned, for sure.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Black August posted:

just pray to christ (but not goku) that after Super ends we get Super GT and a stray Namekian or Gohan's new green kid brother heads out into space with the other kids to be more relevant than Piccolo's admittedly intense series grand finale of taking down two God Namekians with his signature killer move after a driven moment with his son and other two halves

EDIT: please understand I mean praying to goku is fine and smart and normal, but just not in this one particular case for Namek's sake

The last episode of Super will be a flashforward to Uub preparing to take part in the new Tournament of Power, along with Pan, Bra, Marron, and Kuriza.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Rhonne posted:

The last episode of Super will be a flashforward to Uub preparing to take part in the new Tournament of Power, along with Pan, Bra, Marron, and Kuriza.

Bokurano is kind of a dark inspiration for Dragonball to take from.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I like what happened with Frieza because it felt with Frieza as he was, rather than what fans want him to be.

I don't know we're the idea that Frieza was clever or smart came from, he was always a huge dumbass.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I laughed when I thought Toppo hit Frieza with a rock to add insult to injury, then laughed again when it turned out to be 17.

He's really outdone himself this arc. The writer(s) clearly adore him.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I like what happened with Frieza because it felt with Frieza as he was, rather than what fans want him to be.

I don't know we're the idea that Frieza was clever or smart came from, he was always a huge dumbass.

Its less that he's smart, so much as that he's good at delegation and scheming. Once the chips are down his plan is Kill Monkey, but its so nice seeing him back to pre-Namek confidence again.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Sindai posted:

I laughed when I thought Toppo hit Frieza with a rock to add insult to injury, then laughed again when it turned out to be 17.

He's really outdone himself this arc. The writer(s) clearly adore him.

My favorite is how 17 in fights, especially this episode, will just up and start running away from poo poo like a Regular rear end Dude in over his head.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

The Bee posted:

Its less that he's smart, so much as that he's good at delegation and scheming. Once the chips are down his plan is Kill Monkey, but its so nice seeing him back to pre-Namek confidence again.

What scheme has he actually accomplished.

He's never done anything clever instead relying on birth for both position and power.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
I'm mixed on this episode

17 was great, Toppo manhandling freeza was great

Freeza going COME AT ME BRO to a GoD after spending the tournament halfway capable of being cautious was egh and Toppo's personality post transformation feels like he's being a drama queen when actual GoDs are all super laid back.

Also why is chucking destruction balls around and risking disqualification when he broke the barrier with his regular shots? Snapping one at freeza as a gently caress you, sure, but he's doing it to 17 who he respects and explicitly doesn't need them for

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

The Bee posted:

is he? delegation sure, but he's barely ever hatched a scheme more advanced than "kill my enemies and gloat" much less pulled it off

frieza's gimmick is that he's a smug privileged piece of poo poo. an intergalactic nancy boy with a rich father who's the best at the fencing club because he always could afford the best teachers, but freaks out and throws a fit the first time he's challenged and runs for his daddy. but as a lizard alien

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I feel like this episode is the strongest proof yet that Frieza is going to become New Vegeta, because he just got the absolute poo poo stomped out of him like Vegeta in every single loving arc since the actual Vegeta arc.

Like I don't even know how he could actually be a main threat again at this point, but I could one hundred percent see the dude jockeying for position with Vegeta for 2nd banana/dude who gets Worfed.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
After Frieza's experience with Toppo here I think that the reason Frieza gave his army scouters and wore one himself is because he is completely incapable of sizing up a threat.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
It's funny but 17 is basically in the role I was hoping Gohan would be in. Trying to use smarts and tactics to deal with a significantly more powerful opponent because he had fallen behind Vegeta and Goku.

Turns out 17 was the best all along.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
It's funny how this arc turned out. When we first saw that promo showing the team, everyone got excited about 17. Then we saw Kale and we flocked to her, then Caulifla and Frieza and so on. Now we're at the end and it all comes back to 17. This arc is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Wait did girl broly win a fight by herself at all