Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Bardock was cool because it was neat seeing what a blue collar 9 to 5 Saiyan was like back in the heyday. Bardock wasn't anything special or fancy, he was just a man doing his job which happened to be genocide.

Then again my favorite parts of Super have been the little Slice of Life stuff so maybe I just like weird things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Plus the games have been very kind to him

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

there is nothing kind about having to go ssj3 or 4

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

look gently caress you if Bardock can get all this pointless screentime and huge fan polls and bonus movies and game events to go SSj3 then let Gine show up to do something stupid cool

Turns Out Yamoshi Was Actually Gine 2018

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Flytrap posted:

Then again my favorite parts of Super have been the little Slice of Life stuff so maybe I just like weird things.

I'm still waiting for the Society Survival Saga.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

there was some cute stuff with Bardock and Gine meeting Kid Goku in Dragonball Fusions. they kind of hid their identities as his parents from him, but they were both happy to see he was doing well and give him some training/guidance in their own ways

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Flytrap posted:

Bardock was cool because it was neat seeing what a blue collar 9 to 5 Saiyan was like back in the heyday. Bardock wasn't anything special or fancy, he was just a man doing his job which happened to be genocide.

don’t get me wrong I like bardock and i liked his story, im just surprised at the fandom that’s built around him

the edgy shadow the goku thing makes sense though, yeah. he’s definitely a much cooler version of that than goku BLACK

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Goku Black is a lot more interesting than Bardock but he doesn't fill the same niche Bardock does so.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Bardock is what if Vegeta was Goku

Goku Black is what if Toyo's West Kaioshin from his old fancomic was Goku

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Flytrap posted:

Basically, yeah.

He's also a dude who did the heroic bloodshed revenge deal and lost. Like, hilariously hard. He stepped up to the plate, kicked far, far more rear end than anyone ever could have expected, but it wasn't enough, because Freeza is a monster in many, many senses. (To be fair, he at least went down swinging.)

As for wanting to see Goku meet his birth parents, there's a lot of reasons it could be fun. Even aside from the generic appeal of characters meeting the family they never knew, there's beats like Gohan having to explain why, no, they aren't sending Pan off to conquer a planet, Vegeta trying desperately to preserve his SAIYAN PRIDE when running into someone who still thinks of Saiyan Pride as wiping out a species or seven for cash, and Bardock confronting the fact that his son, while the strongest Saiyan ever, is kind of... an idiot.

Plus, you know. Gine's got a decent design and ties to half the main cast while never actually doing anything. Characters in that position often get people wanting them to do something.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I think the writers could do funny stuff with goku's parents being brought back.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Also raditz,.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

chiasaur11 posted:

Basically, yeah.

He's also a dude who did the heroic bloodshed revenge deal and lost. Like, hilariously hard. He stepped up to the plate, kicked far, far more rear end than anyone ever could have expected, but it wasn't enough, because Freeza is a monster in many, many senses. (To be fair, he at least went down swinging.)

As for wanting to see Goku meet his birth parents, there's a lot of reasons it could be fun. Even aside from the generic appeal of characters meeting the family they never knew, there's beats like Gohan having to explain why, no, they aren't sending Pan off to conquer a planet, Vegeta trying desperately to preserve his SAIYAN PRIDE when running into someone who still thinks of Saiyan Pride as wiping out a species or seven for cash, and Bardock confronting the fact that his son, while the strongest Saiyan ever, is kind of... an idiot.

Plus, you know. Gine's got a decent design and ties to half the main cast while never actually doing anything. Characters in that position often get people wanting them to do something.

There's one game that has a what if scenario in which Bardock survives the destruction of Planet Vegeta and arrives roughly at the same time Raditz arrives in the series. At first he also wants to destroy everyone but becomes a doting grandparent after meeting Gohan. It was pretty fun.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Gine has tea with Grandpa Gohan.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

"'Prodigy superchild Pan, her mother Videl, and 'grandma' Gine who is still pretty young since she died, all have space adventures while Gohan stay at home Dads to advance world ki education and phones in to be proud of his daughter annihilating poo poo across universes with her cool mom/grandma"

there side series go

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Bardock's original movie is cool and good.

Anything involving Bardock after is total garbage.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Its not Bardock's fault he's popular and thus Toei MUST MARKETING MORE.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

RevolverDivider posted:

Are you speaking badly of that mission in Xenoverse 1 where you have to protect Bardock?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Bardock was pretty cool in Xenoverse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiT6Pzat-V0&t=3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpHFwY1VgN4

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

drilldo squirt posted:

Also raditz,.

Slowly coming to the realization that he is way way outclassed and trying to find ways to be relevant or figure out what to do with himself.

Eventually strikes up a friendship with Yamcha.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Bardock was a great scientist.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

DBFZ just got me interested in watching Super and I just his the Future Trunks arc. Not much to say but I like when they talk about Buu that Trunks listened to the Supreme Kai and took out Dabura asap instead of loving around and making the situation a million times worse like Vegeta and Goku did

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Black August posted:

retard dragonball-poisoned fan wish: Gine is brought back by some incidental wish or event and she turns out to be the reluctant possessor of all the insane S-Cells Goku is matrilineally electrolyte-loaded with and makes Broly & Kale look like mutant morons when forced onto the stage

Her having insane S-cells does make sense with how Toriyama said they tended to be more common in nicer saiyans.

...Could make a good comedy beat, assuming we were sticking with the first special rather than the time travel stuff for Bardock. Have a scene like Gotenks and Nappa in Fighterz, with Goten trying to explain to Bardock how to go Super Saiyan, to Bardock's ever increasing frustration.

Finally, he declares it impossible, and turns to tell Gine they're going to find something that isn't stupid. Camera pan to her glowing gold like a supernova.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

chiasaur11 posted:

Her having insane S-cells does make sense with how Toriyama said they tended to be more common in nicer saiyans.

...Could make a good comedy beat, assuming we were sticking with the first special rather than the time travel stuff for Bardock. Have a scene like Gotenks and Nappa in Fighterz, with Goten trying to explain to Bardock how to go Super Saiyan, to Bardock's ever increasing frustration.

Finally, he declares it impossible, and turns to tell Gine they're going to find something that isn't stupid. Camera pan to her glowing gold like a supernova.

you could even frame it as a rejection, where in youth Gine had a Super Saiyan event in some show of sadism and destruction reminiscent of Gohan, and it left her so unsettled and unhappy she covered it up and went into the quiet logistics side of Saiyan society, and it was way too late to realize what was happening to call it back to do anything, OR you use that as the excuse for survival and escape to whatever flimsy excuse to drop her off in a plot

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

making goku's mom a super saiyan is just as dumb as making his dad one

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

RevolverDivider posted:

Yeah, basically. The original Bardock OVA is really neat because we get to see Saiyans being Saiyans. There's no sugarcoating it, our protagonists are a group of genocidal monsters whose only redeeming trait is caring for each other. The first scene we get of them is murdering an entire planet for no other reason than an enjoyment of bloodshed. Even with that, Bardock is just charismatic enough that we can enjoy him, despite how he's by all means a complete monster who only did one good thing in his life by impregnating his wife with Kakarot, and even there he shows zero interest in his son because he was born weak, and we're given no reason to believe he cared more about his first son either.

And then the OVA turns into an Evil vs Evil moment as Bardock's future sight tells him of Freeza deciding to wipe out the Saiyans. But of course, no one is willing to believe him, why would they? So he fights alone, does amazingly for a low-class warrior... and then, obviously gets destroyed alongside his entire planet, an ending that we fully knew would happen for obvious reasons. But in his last moments, he gets to see how his son will face Freeza (in a scene that never actually happened, but I guess it'd be really confusing if he saw Final Form Freeza instead) and he laughs, knowing that the son he thought nothing of would in fact take revenge for their entire race.

That's why Bardock is cool, he has the right amount of edge. He's a genocidal monster from beginning to end, he never gets any sort of redemption, but he has the one limit that is loving with his friends and his race. He has a weird, unSaiyan-like nobility alongside the very Saiyan-like bloodlust. It's also why everything afterwards is horrible, Episode of Bardock turns him into the most generic hero ever with no explanation for the sudden, gigantic change in personality (or rather, for how he lost all personality) and TFS does a much better job simply because they allow Bardock to BE Bardock in the Abridged version. Toriyama's version of Bardock is boring as poo poo with none of the interesting personality aspects of the original, at best we can guess he's still into genocide, but he comes across as far more caring and human which isn't nearly as cool. Dragon Ball Minus is like, the one thing where I'm completely willing to ignore canon and accept the non-canon version as true.

Meme Emulator posted:

DBFZ just got me interested in watching Super and I just his the Future Trunks arc. Not much to say but I like when they talk about Buu that Trunks listened to the Supreme Kai and took out Dabura asap instead of loving around and making the situation a million times worse like Vegeta and Goku did

That's Trunks for you. Everyone else has the bad tendency to gently caress around and let things get bad, Trunks just gets rid of the problem immediately because he knows fully well what happens if he doesn't. And even so, his life will always be a never-ending hell where things somehow get progressively worse despite already starting incredibly terribly.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

If Dragon Ball is ending and Dragon Ball Super Universe The Next Generation comes next or whatever, and all we got is Fusions 2 and Xenoverse 3 and Heroes in the meantime, then why not let Goku's mom do poo poo too and have fun with the sudden singularity of Dragon Ball stuff and let her stand alongside a welcome growing crowd of types like Cauli, Kale, hopefully Pan and Bulla, and maybe even Marron

Like you could even frame her as a "Well I can be your Goku and here's a bullshit reason why I'm like Gohan only smarter and can tap into hideous power to keep pace"

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Thank goodness Dragon Ball is and always will be the best kind of dumb

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Black August posted:

If Dragon Ball is ending and Dragon Ball Super Universe The Next Generation comes next or whatever, and all we got is Fusions 2 and Xenoverse 3 and Heroes in the meantime, then why not let Goku's mom do poo poo too and have fun with the sudden singularity of Dragon Ball stuff and let her stand alongside a welcome growing crowd of types like Cauli, Kale, hopefully Pan and Bulla, and maybe even Marron

Like you could even frame her as a "Well I can be your Goku and here's a bullshit reason why I'm like Gohan only smarter and can tap into hideous power to keep pace"

Heroes in particular. Every Saiyan in existence has gone SSJs 1 through 4 and everything in between there.

Gine going SSJ isn't gonna break the SSJ bargain-bin bank.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Heroes in particular. Every Saiyan in existence has gone SSJs 1 through 4 and everything in between there.

Gine SSj4 with the full armor let's see it

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So I'm into the first tournament arc of Dragon Ball in my rewatch...I really wish I could turn on the English dub track solely for the announcer...I like that guy.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Goku being the first real super sayian is the whole thing Z was building up to. Making Bardock one and then making Gine one wouldnt make it special anymore. Not everybody has to be special or matter in a story. Goku parents were relative nobodys and that's cool.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Plus the games have been very kind to him

All I'm seeing is Power Rangers.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Hey, that's not true!

Goten still only has the basic Super Saiyan!

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

jivjov posted:

So I'm into the first tournament arc of Dragon Ball in my rewatch...I really wish I could turn on the English dub track solely for the announcer...I like that guy.

Is that the one with Ranfan? I really like her poofy hair. Toriyama draws really good poofy hair in general.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Gonna divert from Saiyan chat for a second just to say Android 17 is better this arc than he had any right

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

RBX posted:

Goku being the first real super sayian is the whole thing Z was building up to. Making Bardock one and then making Gine one wouldnt make it special anymore. Not everybody has to be special or matter in a story. Goku parents were relative nobodys and that's cool.

Super Saiyan stopped being special the minute Trunks arrived and his dad tantrumed his way to it too. Gohan then wen't "beyond" that. Even the toddlers became Super Saiyans in the saga after that and their goddamn fusion could go SSJ3. Bardock was retconned into having gone Super Saiyan after his supposed death-time-travel-whatever. There's three new Super Saiyans from another universe.

Making Gine a Super Saiyan isn't gonna mean jack.

Which means the only solution is to bump her up to SSJ Rose MK 2.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Hey, that's not true!

He gets to be Super Saiyan Magenta now.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Kashuno posted:

Gonna divert from Saiyan chat for a second just to say Android 17 is better this arc than he had any right

Its like a higher being just said one day "You know what, gently caress it, let's make Android 17 really cool and baller" and ToP happened. It may not have gotten a lot right, but holy poo poo, is Android 17 suddenly actually cool as hell now.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blaze Dragon posted:

Hey, that's not true!

He has SSJ Rose!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Still think next gen Dragon Ball should have Trunks and Goten as the inseparables who specialize in fusion as their fighting forte