Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I think tiels at least have some binocular vision, though not as much as humans or something like a hawk or owl. I've noticed with my birds that they will look at something head on when something just gets their attention, but when they want a closer look, then they'll look at it sideways. Which I guess makes sense. Looking at something straight on probably gives more of a panoramic.

Man, though, it's hard to theorize about vision with different eye placement. It's so hard to imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Generally, i think animals with eyes on the sides of their head (e.g. rabbits, deer, cockatiels) are prey creatures, whose priority is seeing if something's sneaking up to them (i.e., good peripheral vision but bad at judging distance) whereas eyes on the front of the head are predator creatures, for whom judging distance to prey (by having two eyes pointing in the same direction) is more important than peripheral vision

Edit: which is to say, most parrots will have side-head eyes to see around them, so will turn their heads to get a good look at something

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
i would pay good money for mister bibs to get an african grey so i can watch them argue with each other all day

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

RoboRodent posted:

I think tiels at least have some binocular vision, though not as much as humans or something like a hawk or owl. I've noticed with my birds that they will look at something head on when something just gets their attention, but when they want a closer look, then they'll look at it sideways. Which I guess makes sense. Looking at something straight on probably gives more of a panoramic.

Man, though, it's hard to theorize about vision with different eye placement. It's so hard to imagine.

something like this but obviously results may vary from bird to bird:

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Scout lost the yellow/orange colour mutation feather on her neck last week, and it made us kind of sad because we thought it was a striking bit of contrasting colour. Today I spotted the pinfeather that was replacing it and it's growing back yellow/orange again!

Also we're going back for our third visit with Spencer on Sunday.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
How has Amadeus been doing, LAB?

Is he any better? You tell him he's not allowed to be sick, he's too perfect and cute to get sick. :ohdear:

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
Just look at these friggin blobs!

I've had them a couple of months now and they seem to get along great. Some biting and featherplucking in the beginning but that was resolved once we figured out they were desperate for nest building material... Almost got them trained to the point where they'll jump onto my finger straight away even when I'm not holding a millet treat too. They're good borbs :V

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

I've had them a couple of months now and they seem to get along great. Some biting and featherplucking in the beginning but that was resolved once we figured out they were desperate for nest building material... Almost got them trained to the point where they'll jump onto my finger straight away even when I'm not holding a millet treat too. They're good borbs :V

*high pitched beeping intensifies*

e: also yes most parrots I have seen, as well as chickams, finches, sparrows, and so on, will turn their heads side on when they want to get a good look at something. They have side of the head eyes to look in all directions for dangerous predators, like a deer or a rabbit. Birds often bop their heads up and down or back and forth and this is meant to be something that improves binocular vision.

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jan 27, 2018

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/kozukiqtaro/status/956844927975030784

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Ozzy came to me with his wings pretty severely clipped, and I don't think he really had much opportunity to ever fly in his old home. Sera is fully flighted. When he was younger and I was living in a place without a lot of safe places for him to fly, I'd clip the outer two or three primaries, just enough to slow him down, but I moved out of that place and I haven't bothered since.

But I think Ozzy is watching Sera and trying desperately to also fly, except he can basically just do an extended jump with an extremely clumsy landing. Initially Ozzy could go about a foot before dropping, but now he can manage three or four. Building muscle!

A few days ago he made a long (for him) flight from his cage top to my shoulder. :kimchi:

He's still really bad at landing, though.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How has Amadeus been doing, LAB?

Is he any better? You tell him he's not allowed to be sick, he's too perfect and cute to get sick. :ohdear:

His eye has looked very normal the last couple days, thank you for asking :) Complaining on the internet fixes everything! :downs:

In seriousness, though, part of what's been frustrating about this is it's been intermittent, so it's been hard to pin down which changes I've been making have been helpful and which have just lined up with a couple "good days." I did remember that I got a Zupreem blend of dried veggies and chopped almonds to add to his food a couple months ago, though, so in case it's some sort of food allergy I stopped giving him that last week. It wouldn't really explain why it seemed to be the worst in the mornings, but the eye has looked much better since, so with any luck an almond allergy was the culprit.

birb photo tax :3: :

and a non-Ama from work, I realized immediately that this good boi did not need to be toweled at all but I had to take a picture because his little grumpy face was just so cute

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Ama is carrying on the proud parrot tradition of being a shithead and making you worry

(But what a cute shithead :3:)

And non-Ama is fantastic

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
So I went by a bird shop in Chicago the other day (had to kill time to not get stuck in rush hour traffic). So I figured I'd show some pics. The store is Birdman's Parrots on North Lincoln Ave.

This girl is only 6 months old but such a sweet birds. Was making kissy kissy sounds at me through the cage and would nuzzle my finger without hesitation.

Obligatory Toucan pics!

This keel-billed hen is about 4 years old. Probably my favorite toucan in terms of coloration. The owner didn't want to let her out because she likes to fly around the shop a lot but she eagerly took blueberries from me.

These little guys (there were two in the cage, only one wanted to pose for a photo). About 6 month old Curl Crested Aracari. After only a few minutes they let me pick them up (in exchange for blueberries of course) and purred happily while receiving scritches. I should have taken a video honestly they sound so cool. It's this kind of croak sound but that's as loud as they get.

(not my video but skip to 37 seconds for noise)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wadPNmUs48g&t=38s

1st comment: "The majestic song of the stun gun."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAakis6Hpvk

Rallos fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 27, 2018

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
This lady is non stop hysterical, and you are going to get photo and video dumped so hard when I’m back at my desktop!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
My wife and I were traveling in Europe and I saw a whole lot of pigeons. A thought occurred... with the way they bob their head so aggressively just walking up and down the street, having a headache must be loving rough.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

His eye has looked very normal the last couple days, thank you for asking :) Complaining on the internet fixes everything! :downs:

In seriousness, though, part of what's been frustrating about this is it's been intermittent, so it's been hard to pin down which changes I've been making have been helpful and which have just lined up with a couple "good days." I did remember that I got a Zupreem blend of dried veggies and chopped almonds to add to his food a couple months ago, though, so in case it's some sort of food allergy I stopped giving him that last week. It wouldn't really explain why it seemed to be the worst in the mornings, but the eye has looked much better since, so with any luck an almond allergy was the culprit.

and a non-Ama from work, I realized immediately that this good boi did not need to be toweled at all but I had to take a picture because his little grumpy face was just so cute

What a Good Boy. Great to hear that he's doing better-stay that way, Ama!

That other conure is adorable and reminds me of Inko getting his nails filed down. All grump and resignment

Captain Log posted:

This lady is non stop hysterical, and you are going to get photo and video dumped so hard when I’m back at my desktop!

You can still write about her though!

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

They're lovely, so round! The cage setup looks really nice too, from what can be seen. They must weigh next to nothing when they hop on a finger.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

.... Does anyone have a bird who seems to like being towelled? Because I swear Sera enjoys it and it's actually a good way to get him out of a bad mood.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Yay, Amadeus! :peanut:

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

This is perfect.

https://i.imgur.com/8NuaH1Y.mp4

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

'Will Open Bottles For Kisses' :3:

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
That's a very expensive bottle opener.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
Holy moly, that green conure is gorgeous!

Battle Pigeon posted:

They're lovely, so round! The cage setup looks really nice too, from what can be seen. They must weigh next to nothing when they hop on a finger.
Thanks! put in some artificial plants on the rear wall of the cage as well as around their nest for privacy. Seems to work fine and is cleanable. I wish they had a slightly larger cage so they could stretch their wings a bit more, but this is the biggest one I've been able to find (apart from an aviary) in stores over here...

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

Holy moly, that green conure is gorgeous!

Thanks! put in some artificial plants on the rear wall of the cage as well as around their nest for privacy. Seems to work fine and is cleanable. I wish they had a slightly larger cage so they could stretch their wings a bit more, but this is the biggest one I've been able to find (apart from an aviary) in stores over here...

Thank you! :) So are your finches! I love the look of the plants around their cage.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Thank you! :) So are your finches! I love the look of the plants around their cage.

I'd love to put some plants around my cages here for Cricket (orange-fronted conure) to be able to interact with...are fake ones ok do you think or would she destroy them too much? And if real plants are needed...the only ones I have ever been able to keep alive are the golden Pothos...I get conflicting things on them so no idea on if they are actually safe or not :(

Any suggestions for real plants or decent looking fake ones?

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Disco Salmon posted:

I'd love to put some plants around my cages here for Cricket (orange-fronted conure) to be able to interact with...are fake ones ok do you think or would she destroy them too much? And if real plants are needed...the only ones I have ever been able to keep alive are the golden Pothos...I get conflicting things on them so no idea on if they are actually safe or not :(

Any suggestions for real plants or decent looking fake ones?

Most fake plants come coated in some kind of weatherproofing, which isn't great for eating. I'd bet good money that Cricket would eventually decide that they're fun to shred, regardless.

As far as real plants go, succulents are hardy, easy to care for, and mostly nontoxic. I keep a few around, to make me feel like I haven't completely failed as a green thumb. Also a single poet's jasmine plant that somehow wound up with Rasputin level hardiness, that I sometimes use for tea.

Tadhg Dall
Dec 5, 2008

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Ama has something wrong with his right eye. It's been off and on since late November; I noticed some white crusts in the corners and pink/reddish irritation in the veins of the white skin around it. Of course I took him to work right away to see a vet but the vet didn't see anything overtly wrong with it. I have an antibiotic ointment but it doesn't seem to be... doing anything.

He doesn't seem to be in pain and is acting totally normal aside from the pinkness of the skin around that eye and the fact that he recently has been keeping it closed more often than not, even while being bright and attentive with his other eye.

If anyone has any sort of advice or information please help. :( If anything permanent happens to him I will literally die.

I can't tell from the pictures you posted after this but Oliver gets weird whitish crusts in the back corner of his eyes and a little redness of the skin. I took him to the vet the first time it happened and while he was in the towel the crust mysteriously disappeared and my vet was like "What are you talking about?" But he still gets them from time to time and as far as I can tell they don't bother him at all. I think they're related to dryness because they seem to happen mainly in the dead of winter/summer when the heat/AC is on all the time. I used to run a humidifier all the time and that kept them away but now I live in humid Texas so he gets them very rarely.

It stumped me at first because it didn't look like normal eye crusts, I thought it was a growth or something, but eventually I caught him in the process of rubbing one off and when I looked at it closely it really just does seem like dried up eye goo.

He also gets pretty sneezy when the air is dry so I think he's just sensitive to moisture levels.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Suntan Boy posted:

Most fake plants come coated in some kind of weatherproofing, which isn't great for eating. I'd bet good money that Cricket would eventually decide that they're fun to shred, regardless.

As far as real plants go, succulents are hardy, easy to care for, and mostly nontoxic. I keep a few around, to make me feel like I haven't completely failed as a green thumb. Also a single poet's jasmine plant that somehow wound up with Rasputin level hardiness, that I sometimes use for tea.

I kill cactus :( Don't ask how or why...but I guess it's my gift to be death to all things green. which makes it amazing that Cricket is doing so well!

I don't have any inside plants at all....due to my killing of said plants :( Just figured I would see if maybe artificial or the one plant that I can keep alive somehow might be ok lol But she is DestructoBird so I am sure she would figure out fake plant=cool confetti in no time at all.

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!
It's been a while. Hello.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Tadhg Dall posted:

I can't tell from the pictures you posted after this but Oliver gets weird whitish crusts in the back corner of his eyes and a little redness of the skin. I took him to the vet the first time it happened and while he was in the towel the crust mysteriously disappeared and my vet was like "What are you talking about?" But he still gets them from time to time and as far as I can tell they don't bother him at all. I think they're related to dryness because they seem to happen mainly in the dead of winter/summer when the heat/AC is on all the time. I used to run a humidifier all the time and that kept them away but now I live in humid Texas so he gets them very rarely.

It stumped me at first because it didn't look like normal eye crusts, I thought it was a growth or something, but eventually I caught him in the process of rubbing one off and when I looked at it closely it really just does seem like dried up eye goo.

He also gets pretty sneezy when the air is dry so I think he's just sensitive to moisture levels.

This is EXACTLY what I've been experiencing! Thank you!!!! This is the first winter I haven't had a humidifier running so that checks out perfectly. The first time I took Ama to his vet he had scratched off the crust the same drat morning and so there was nothing to show said vet at all :mad:

Humidifier purchase incoming. :)

Today has had me super, super stressed so this was a lovely post to read and pretty much why I asked for bird thread input in the first place :h:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

little_firebird posted:

he does a ((((fluff))))

Look at those big googly eyes :syoon:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Rallos posted:

That's a very expensive bottle opener.
Heavy Petting > Bird Crazies: That's a very expensive bottle opener.

little_firebird posted:

He's like an anime :allears:

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

he does a ((((fluff))))

Look at those big googly eyes :syoon:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

little_firebird posted:

I love those feathery boots.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

little_firebird posted:

Surprising how wicked those claws look.

Do their beaks normally look cute and stubby like that?

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Freshly baked pigeonloaf perfectly formed

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
:swoon:

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
pidgeys are so cute

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
My bird has started sneezing a lot lately. He's not ill at all, but the little turd has decided that of all the noises I occasionally make, sneezing would be the most fun one to mimic. I only realised he was doing it this morning.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Soylent Yellow posted:

My bird has started sneezing a lot lately. He's not ill at all, but the little turd has decided that of all the noises I occasionally make, sneezing would be the most fun one to mimic. I only realised he was doing it this morning.

yeah...Cricket doesn't do that but for whatever reason *I* am the one who gets the SQUAWK SQUAWK CHEEP CHEEP whenever I sneeze. She doesn't do that when my husband sneezes and he can wake the dead and shatter wine glasses with his. It's only me... never anyone else on TV or in the house. She doesn't even have to be on me to do it, she will yell in the other room if I sneeze, and I am not very loud at all :(

He says she is saying "Bless you" in bird talk, but I don't think so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Soylent Yellow posted:

Good chance to catch the behaviour with a clicker and turn it into a trick to do on demand!