Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Alan_Shore posted:

I mean I just had a quick listen to a Faulconer compilation on YouTube and it's utter garbage synth, just awful. And I love synth. It's like he was given the order "blanket every episode in nonstop music, not one second of silence dammit!"

Because he actually was. Funimation execs at the time were convinced if music wasn't constantly playing kids would lose interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Frieza, about to be blown away by Hakai ball:
"gently caress me it's happening again."

I wonder if he wont step out until the very end.
Or his space hitler pride wont let him.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Isn't the entire point of the Ginyus that their ridiculous attitude makes them all the more horrifying.

Recoome is an idiot who spends most of his time posing or screaming attack names and yet this joker annihilates the entire cast on his lonesome and breaks a toddler's neck.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Blockhouse posted:

Because he actually was. Funimation execs at the time were convinced if music wasn't constantly playing kids would lose interest.

Also someone must be talking 24/7.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Let's not forget in the Saiyans arc there is a whole subplot about Goku running up a big road, complete with hitching a ride on street sweeper

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Natural 20 posted:

Isn't the entire point of the Ginyus that their ridiculous attitude makes them all the more horrifying.

Recoome is an idiot who spends most of his time posing or screaming attack names and yet this joker annihilates the entire cast on his lonesome and breaks a toddler's neck.

Eh, I don't think it's supposed to evoke horror, I think they're supposed to be a bunch of goofy weirdos that just so happen to gently caress everyone up. There's a difference there, their gags are played as gags, not as disturbing attitudes, which is why people argue that even at its most serious DBZ was never, I'unno, Berserk.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

drilldo squirt posted:

I think Gine and Bardock being shin in the Majin buu saga for a dragon ball super arc would be good. The question is what would their reaction to chi chi be?
She'd forcibly put both of them in school and make them look for jobs. Her dad paid for everything for over a decade so it's only fair they do the same.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Considering his last job, Bardock would probably make a great realtor.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Momomo posted:

Considering his last job, Bardock would probably make a great realtor.

I'm not sure that being a great scientist makes you a great realtor, though.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Natural 20 posted:

No the point is Toriyama wanted to still have weirdo antagonists with weirdo powers like in the tournanent.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Natural 20 posted:

It really is the first time Vegeta just straight got curb stomped. Until then, Vegeta was basically overpowering everyone or really close to their level

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Slightly Absurd posted:

It really is the first time Vegeta just straight got curb stomped. Until then, Vegeta was basically overpowering everyone or really close to their level

Vegeta gets his rear end thoroughly kicked by Zarbon the first time around.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Vegeta was basically Raditz at the beginning of Namek, it's kinda funny how quickly he got strong afterwards. Zenkais are some bullshit; when Freeza came to Earth, was BADMAN Vegeta even strong enough to deal with Mecha Freeza? they really did get bailed out by Trunks

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Vegeta gets his rear end thoroughly kicked by Zarbon the first time around.

Vegeta's flowchart was, during the Saiyan/Namek Arc and well, basically every other one, "HAH! I'M PRINCE VEGETA, I JUST BEAT UP X NO PROBLEM, YOU ARE hosed" to "OH poo poo I'M THE ONE WHO'S hosed!" to "goddamnit i suck now i need to be more powerful" to "I'M SUPER POWERFUL NOW WATCH ME BEAT UP THIS rear end in a top hat"

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

Vegeta was basically Raditz at the beginning of Namek, it's kinda funny how quickly he got strong afterwards. Zenkais are some bullshit; when Freeza came to Earth, was BADMAN Vegeta even strong enough to deal with Mecha Freeza? they really did get bailed out by Trunks

Nope. But if Trunks wasn't there Goku would've IT'd to them and bailed them out instead. He felt Trunks' energy and decided that they could handle things.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I hope Caulifla meets Bardock and beats him up for looking like a Goku.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Natural 20 posted:

It's the "Ginyus loving slaughter 'Geets, Krillmaster, and Gohan" that helps make them hilarious.

Recoome's prancing around going RECOOME ULTRA MEGA SUPER HYPER ATTACK and saying "YOU DO WELL HUH HUH HUH YOU DO WELL"; meanwhile Vegeta got his neck broken and Krillin is getting thrown around like a football.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

a cartoon duck posted:

I hope Caulifla meets Bardock and beats him up for looking like a Goku.

I feel like Caulifla meeting Bardock would be a Cabba meets Vegeta situation.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Ginyu Force's personalities aren't supposed to make them scary, but they make you underestimate them. Guldo is a pipsqueak but then he almost kills Krillen and Gohan and Vegeta has to bail them out. Recoome is a big moron but then he completely curbstomps Vegeta, Gohan, and Krillin. Ginyu has a meltdown over how strong Goku is but then he pulls out "CHANGE NOW" and turns the tables entirely.

When the Ginyus greet Lord Freeza with their goofy poses in the old English dub Falcouner's music is telling you to take it completely seriously and it just doesn't work.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Falcouner's music is poo poo as music that's supposed to be part of the story that's trying to be told.

In a vacuum it's....mediocre.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The SSJ3 theme was the only Faulconer track that was particularly good or well-utilized IMO.

Fake Edit: Maaaaaaybe throw the Vegeta/Final Flash theme in there too.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Cell's Theme.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Dexo posted:

Cell's Theme.

All three of them.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Falcouner's music is poo poo as music that's supposed to be part of the story that's trying to be told.

In a vacuum it's....mediocre.

Fan edit where it's DBZ but they're all screaming over Chi-Chi vaccuuming when?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

The dude could do themes for sure. SS3, Imperfect Cell, Piccolo, Pikkon, and Vegeta were all good. Majin Buu's, too. Piccolo's theme pales in comparison to his Japanese theme, but then again so does all music ever written.

And he definitely improved over the course of the series. When we finally got new episodes on Namek I hated the music so much, but it got decent during the Androids (minus a few lovely songs) and was perfectly okay during Buu.

I've rewatched some clips on youtube to test my childhood nostalgia, and I'd still agree with that. Goku vs Frieza has these random parts where a character will be falling and the music will do this goofy xylophone bit, it instantly takes you out of the scene.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Faluconer's final flash theme is the only real theme in which I found to be undeniably better than the japanese version. It just adds so much build up and hype to the blast, it's great.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I have a question regarding Android 16 (pertains to FighterZ)

I have no idea if this is a spoiler or not but is this the first official confirmation that 16 is Gero's son? I know TFS invented some scenes about it and whatnot but I don't recall it being a official thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I have a question regarding Android 16 (pertains to FighterZ)

I have no idea if this is a spoiler or not but is this the first official confirmation that 16 is Gero's son? I know TFS invented some scenes about it and whatnot but I don't recall it being a official thing.

It was revealed in the same interview where 17's backstory that they used in Super came from. Basically all that stuff TFS put in was from that interview. It's why 17 starts making park ranger jokes and stuff before Super makes it a thing..

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Monaghan posted:

Faluconer's final flash theme is the only real theme in which I found to be undeniably better than the japanese version. It just adds so much build up and hype to the blast, it's great.

I recall the Final Flash was one of the times TFS was willing to use (a cover of) the dub music.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Final Flash and the NEXT TIME ON DRAGON BALL Z music are the only tracks from the original dub score that I actually remember.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I remember the Super Saiyan 3 one and the one that sounds like clowns loving.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Piccolo after he fused with Kami had a rad-rear end theme in the Faulconer score. Probably my favorite music from any Dragon Ball thing.

Shame about him never being relevant ever again after that.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That Super Buu theme was nuts.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I don't remember any music from DBZ

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Desumaytah posted:

Piccolo after he fused with Kami had a rad-rear end theme in the Faulconer score. Probably my favorite music from any Dragon Ball thing.

Shame about him never being relevant ever again after that.

Hey, he got to slug it out with 17! That was pretty cool! Then Cell showed up and made everything about him as usual.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Pikkon's Theme was pretty good.

I also like the Otherworld arc and I would just die if Pikkon was a DLC character in DBFZ.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Falcouner's music made for decent background tracks in the GBA games at least

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

it’s hard to remember the music over the constant WSHWSHWSHWSHWSHWSH

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Gohan's Anger is pretty good but that's if elaborated on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gatts posted:

Gohan's Anger is pretty good but that's if elaborated on.

It’s really good when he crushes Cell, not so much the next time with Super Buu