Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!

Potato Salad posted:

Surprising how wicked those claws look.

Do their beaks normally look cute and stubby like that?

To my understanding, that type of beak is standard for medium-sized pigeon breeds!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Can you potty-train pigeons?

Pidges seem like they might be a good starter bird, is that correct? Some googling suggests they're much quieter and mellower than parrots, and have a shorter lifespan so you're not making a decades-to-lifelong commitment.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

My understanding is that pigeons are actually domestic animals, while parrots... kind of aren't. So yeah, very good pets in that respect.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, pidges are full on domesticated, having been bred selectively and kept since around the same time we invented writing. Parrots meanwhile are more tamed than domesticated with many especially exotic species being nabbed out of the wild or only a generation or two down from an ancestor that has been nabbed from the wild. They're smart, which helps the taming process, but they haven't had the thousands of years of breeding for unflinching friendliness that properly domesticated birds have.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Let me tell you a funny thing about chickens: even if you raised them from chickens, when they're young they're skittish and will run from you. This is a pain when you need to get ahold of them. But at about the same time hens start laying, they pick up this habit of "squatting" when you corner them, instead of their little chicken brain flipping a coin to decide if they're going to bank left or right and run off. We bred these things so that they grow up fast, produce tasty food, and at the same time they start producing food, they become tamer and easier to catch!

I can just pick up a chicken off the ground and tuck it under my neck. If I did that with a Grey that would be like, well, like jamming a sentient pair of bolt cutters against my carotid artery. The newspapers would be reading MAN FOUND DEAD IN POOL OF BLOOD NEXT TO SMUG BIRD.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
My sisters chickens did that too, they used to run from me every time I went to pet them (they are soooo soft), now they just sit there and look at me until I chuck food in, then it's like I don't exist at all.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Humidifier purchase incoming. :)

Be sure to clean that thing thoroughly on a regular basis. It can be very easy for mold to grow in the water and that can really gently caress up your respiratory system.

Yes!!! That's the good stuff.

Edit:
I swear to god, birds are actually really advanced aliens.
https://i.imgur.com/iNIwtqC.mp4

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 30, 2018

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!
Pigeons are absolutely a good beginner bird, although I would recommend buying one from a breeder that handles them after they hatch.

For example, Hyde's breeder regularly handles their peeps and more often posts updates on tumblr than on youtube, but here are the two videos she posted with Baby Hyde:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOluLMO_Rtw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akDa0w9s9B4

Just like with any other birds, certain breeds will have better temperaments than others. I have had nothing but good experiences with Hyde so far, very gentle, very personable.

Pigeons can also be harness-trained, which includes the flight harnesses that have bird diapers, and are definitely smart enough to be potty trained!

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
The person who draws Manly Guys Doing Manly Things has a pair of pigeons and she uploads videos and photos of them to her tumblr, they look like they have a fair bit of personality.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I keep getting photos of Inko sitting on my partner's shoulder and I'm so drat jealous

They don't even interact. Inko just hover-flies there, and clings and hangs out while everyone else does their thing

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
dwarf fortress tips n' tricks: you can create a crest for your fortress on the embark screen

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

He wasn't allowed to fly as an emotional support peacock for being too big, which is bullshit because he definitely weighs far less than a dog the same size, and I've seen dogs that size on planes as support animals.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
dogs don't have a giant tail they can fan that would probably stretch across the whole plane

if there was a peacock on a flight I was on that did that I would be so happy

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
He refused to let me work.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

the people who are peacocking (:iamafag:) their emotional support animals really bug me, because they're going to be the reason that nobody can have them soon enough

if they'd had a parrot nobody would have cared, they would have gotten on the plane, maybe gotten a few selfies with people, instead we get a national news story about how we're living in crazy town and when will the madness end???

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 31, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tsaedje posted:

He wasn't allowed to fly as an emotional support peacock for being too big, which is bullshit because he definitely weighs far less than a dog the same size, and I've seen dogs that size on planes as support animals.

Peacocks aren't relatively domesticated animals, even if this particular one is tame. And they are loud.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The airline should have said that then instead of saying it was too big.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My mother-in-law is an infection control nurse who thinks germs are everywhere and won't eat at a buffet. But I 100% support her crusade to keep dogs out of the surgical suite.

Grow the gently caress up, you can live without your Snookums for a few hours if you want to, you know, live

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I wonder why there's so little interest in owning pigeons in the USA, and why parrots are considered the default "pet bird". Pigeons will never be the flashiest or cleverest, but they come in beautiful varieties and they've been bred to accept humans for thousands of years. Is it bad PR from the "flying rats" thing?

Halloween Jack posted:

people trying to take emotional support dogs into the surgical suite
:catstare:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I've often thought that any time an animal becomes comfortable living in a human city, we have a tendency to hate them.

So people hate feral pigeons. Same for urban foxes and coyotes. There's always hate for raccoons, and rats we hate a lot though they've been with us for thousands of years. Around here, it's mostly hate for crows and squirrels.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I think there's definitely some truth to that. I didn't live anywhere that had pigeons until I was 18, and they kind of delight me even now that I'm 35. Everyone who grew up in cities looks at me like I'm crazy when I start feeding them or getting all excited

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Halloween Jack posted:

But I 100% support her crusade to keep dogs out of the surgical suite.

Grow the gently caress up, you can live without your Snookums for a few hours if you want to, you know, live

my hospital wouldn't let Taco come with me when I had my transplant this is bullshit i'm calling my lawyer on both phones

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/yjbRxaR.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/nqji9Cm.mp4

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 1, 2018

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

:kimchi:

griddle does this, just shakes her balls like a dingo with a baby. such fury!

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
DEATH TO ALL JINGLY BALLS

What is it about jingly balls that makes them so attractive to murderbirds?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Mirthless posted:

:kimchi:

griddle does this, just shakes her balls like a dingo with a baby. such fury!

But parrot don't have external geni- ooooohhhhh.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Mizuti posted:

I wonder why there's so little interest in owning pigeons in the USA, and why parrots are considered the default "pet bird". Pigeons will never be the flashiest or cleverest, but they come in beautiful varieties and they've been bred to accept humans for thousands of years. Is it bad PR from the "flying rats" thing?

:catstare:

Pigeons have traditionally been used either as food animals, as messengers (postal or military), racing or for show. It was/is rare to have a purely "pet" pigeon.

Parrots are popular because they talk, simple as that. It's a good gimmick to have. Also why the domestic canary has fallen out of favor among pet owners.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Everyday Goast read in a book that parrots and penguins are the most popular birds as they are the easiest to anthopomorphise: parrots because they talk and penguins because they walk upright and wear tuxedos.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I think the domestic canary has fallen out of favour because its main use was as an ornament pet. With more widespread awareness that birds shouldn't be treated as ornaments, it seems that many people don't go for that kind of thing I guess.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Fingers crossed - we decided to proceed with adopting Spencer

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Got a question for you - Bonnie the Quaker parrot occasionally makes a high-pitched squeaking noise, like she's swallowed a squeaky toy or something. I don't think it's when she's distressed or anything, but I'm curious if it means anything, or if it does, is it different from bird to bird?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I bet it's funny to the bird.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

This is my coat of arms.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

mikerock posted:

Fingers crossed - we decided to proceed with adopting Spencer

And you don't have pictures because?

nielsm posted:

This is my coat of arms.

I want to see this illustrated as an actual coat of arms

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Eejit posted:

I wish I had drawing talent because same

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Eejit posted:

i don't know what kind of wood that actually is but you get the idea

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojwuUeUQROc

Hormonal galah is possessed by a demon

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Eejit posted:

He's at his foster home right now and it felt weird asking to take photos before we made a decision. Here's his profile from the adoption agency which has photos:

http://greyhaven.bc.ca/project/spencer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Tendai posted:

I think there's definitely some truth to that. I didn't live anywhere that had pigeons until I was 18, and they kind of delight me even now that I'm 35. Everyone who grew up in cities looks at me like I'm crazy when I start feeding them or getting all excited

My father keeps (or rather kept until the local sparrowhawk population decided they were an all you can eat buffet) pigeons, and they would routinely act as a honeypot for confused racing pigeons. He takes great delight in determining their origin, and there's apparently an entire industry of pigeon couriers dedicated to repatriating them. For a bird bred specifically to be driven to the back of beyond and released, people are willing to pay a stupid amount of money to get them back.