Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I appreciated this episode of Gd Men's next episode preview

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Mummy Show is very, very cute.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Yeah it's good

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

Yeah it's good

I'm not convinced.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

DisDisDis posted:

Yeah it's good

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'm not convinced.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
I started on the Mummy show. It is TOO adorable.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

superLINUS posted:

Mummy show is cool. I enjoy Cute Characters Doing Cute Things, but I definitely prefer 'sweet kids that have pets' to 'sweet high school kids that act like pets'. The fact that the MC of mummy show is this quietly capable kid is endearing in it's own way.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

iospace posted:

Toji no Miko is...

Ok it's a fancy monster of the week show, and I'll probably continue watching but it's a lot of telling and not showing.

But there hasn't been a single monster aside from the almost incidental one in ep 2?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kyte posted:

But there hasn't been a single monster aside from the almost incidental one in ep 2?

Replace "monster" with "opposing sword girl" and there you go.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

miko of the weeko

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Meido of the day...do.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/nikaidonACT3/status/958243836827910144

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

superLINUS posted:

I think this is actually a good description of it. I could only stand to watch half an episode because I found it too saccharine with nothing to hold my attention beyond the cuteness, and kept finding myself wondering why they didn't just use puppies or something. That they used an apparently sapient mummy but have him treated as a pet just weirded me out. I'd probably have been fine with the show outside that really, but the mummy thing just constantly took me out of the show and had me pondering questions the show has almost certainly got no interest in answering.

On the other hand, I marathoned the 14 episodes of "Mrs. Kobayashi's Maid Dragon" over the last two days and loved the living poo poo out of that and much the same complaints could probably be leveled at it, so what the gently caress do I know.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
You might have just overdosed on SOL stuff. Or maybe it's thst Maidragon has two tones - saccharine-sweet and intensely creepy, and mummy show only has one.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I didn't start Maidragon until after Mummy show, so I doubt I was all SoL'd out or anything. Also, it has an unnaturally good ED, so it had that going for it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
So Netflix has signed a deal with Production IG and Bones to produce and simulcast exclusive shows. Supposedly these are not delaycasts, but actual simulcasts.

https://www.oricon.co.jp/news/2104965/full/?ref_cd=tw

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

ViggyNash posted:

So Netflix has signed a deal with Production IG and Bones to produce and simulcast exclusive shows. Supposedly these are not delaycasts, but actual simulcasts.

https://www.oricon.co.jp/news/2104965/full/?ref_cd=tw

I believe Netflix-produced anime already is usually released week-to-week in Japan, and Violet Evergarden has been getting simulcast pretty nearly everywhere except the US, so it's probably still up in the air as to whether this means the US will be getting simulcasts on those shows or the usual "wait a year and maybe we'll remember to release part of it".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i havent watched mummy but maidragon does have actualy tone besides 'fluffy' - it's about found families, the difficulties of fitting in, etc. it fumbles the ball sometimes but it has actual narrative weight. if mummy is just cuteness for cuteness's sake then i can easily see liking one but not the other.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

esselfortium posted:

I believe Netflix-produced anime already is usually released week-to-week in Japan, and Violet Evergarden has been getting simulcast pretty nearly everywhere except the US, so it's probably still up in the air as to whether this means the US will be getting simulcasts on those shows or the usual "wait a year and maybe we'll remember to release part of it".

Speaking of, is there any word yet on when Netflix are going to put up Children of the Whales? It sounds interesting and has a nice art style from what I recall of the trailer, but I don't see anything about expected release in the Netflix catalogue and I'm pretty sure it's wrapped up in Japan already.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

tsob posted:

Speaking of, is there any word yet on when Netflix are going to put up Children of the Whales? It sounds interesting and has a nice art style from what I recall of the trailer, but I don't see anything about expected release in the Netflix catalogue and I'm pretty sure it's wrapped up in Japan already.

March 13th

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, and remember: In yet another entry of the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things genre, Kakegurui premieres tomorrow in Netflix! :)

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Endorph posted:

i havent watched mummy but maidragon does have actualy tone besides 'fluffy' - it's about found families, the difficulties of fitting in, etc. it fumbles the ball sometimes but it has actual narrative weight. if mummy is just cuteness for cuteness's sake then i can easily see liking one but not the other.

I think you're right. That's unfairly dismissive of Maidragon. I think I feel about Maidragon the way a lot of people feel about kill la kill; I was unwilling to stomach some of the grosser bits. But there is something there; the relationship between kobayashi's otaku coworker and Fafnir come to mind.

Mummy show so far is just cuteness, full stop. But boy, it's real cute.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Wark Say posted:

Cute Girls Doing Cute Things genre, Kakegurui

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Eh, it’s an unconventional description, but not a wholly inaccurate one. It’s not so much about gambling as it is about hanging out with terrifying ladies who you would like to step on you. It’s why the tension and menace tends to feel performative rather than real.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I'm not sure whether calling any of the girls in Kakegurui 'cute' is being too flattering to them, or levying a hideous insult at them. Either way you're probably dead.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think perhaps wark say was making a jape

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

J-jokes??

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Not cute:
https://twitter.com/eki__holic/status/906776877477404672

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I'm on mobile but pretend I posted the sapphic cat ears omake from kakegurui

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Endorph posted:

It's 2018 endorph you can't say that word anymore

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
all the girls in kakegurui are good

midari is my girlfriend

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

It's 2018 endorph you can't say that word anymore

could you diagram this joke

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

tsob posted:

it ended up being all right but it wasn't the second coming of shin sekai yori like i had hoped

gently caress the pink haired guy i hated his voice so much

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

AnoHito posted:

I'm not sure whether calling any of the girls in Kakegurui 'cute' is being too flattering to them, or levying a hideous insult at them. Either way you're probably dead.
Scary girls can be cute too.

Endorph posted:

Perish the thought.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Homura and Sickle posted:

gently caress the pink haired guy i hated his voice so much
Yeah he almost single-handedly ruined the back half

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

he didn't feature that much in the back half, and that's where a majority of the show's best stuff was so :confused:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Scary Girls Doing Scary Things is a terribly underused genre. It's just Black Lagoon, Jormungand, and Kakegurui

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
there's that one manga with the murder lesbians

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

Scary Girls Doing Scary Things is a terribly underused genre. It's just Black Lagoon, Jormungand, and Kakegurui

You could also include Mirai Nikki in that group as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Eh, it’s an unconventional description, but not a wholly inaccurate one. It’s not so much about gambling as it is about hanging out with terrifying ladies who you would like to step on you. It’s why the tension and menace tends to feel performative rather than real.

I'm learning a lot about Darth walrus tonight

• Locked thread