Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Looks like there are too many confounding variables in the Genie case, not real science

quote:

Now before Psammetichus became king of Egypt,1 the Egyptians believed that they were the oldest people on earth. But ever since Psammetichus became king and wished to find out which people were the oldest, they have believed that the Phrygians were older than they, and they than everybody else. [2] Psammetichus, when he was in no way able to learn by inquiry which people had first come into being, devised a plan by which he took two newborn children of the common people and gave them to a shepherd to bring up among his flocks. He gave instructions that no one was to speak a word in their hearing; they were to stay by themselves in a lonely hut, and in due time the shepherd was to bring goats and give the children their milk and do everything else necessary. [3] Psammetichus did this, and gave these instructions, because he wanted to hear what speech would first come from the children, when they were past the age of indistinct babbling. And he had his wish; for one day, when the shepherd had done as he was told for two years, both children ran to him stretching out their hands and calling “Bekos!” as he opened the door and entered. [4] When he first heard this, he kept quiet about it; but when, coming often and paying careful attention, he kept hearing this same word, he told his master at last and brought the children into the king's presence as required. Psammetichus then heard them himself, and asked to what language the word “Bekos” belonged; he found it to be a Phrygian word, signifying bread. [5] Reasoning from this, the Egyptians acknowledged that the Phrygians were older than they. This is the story which I heard from the priests of Hephaestus'2 temple at Memphis; the Greeks say among many foolish things that Psammetichus had the children reared by women whose tongues he had cut out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hackbunny posted:

By all means use it to avoid the extortionate "idiot tariff" imposed by Jlist on the lifelong Japanese-obsessed who can't read a word of Japanese, and buy your Nipponic pocket pussies and inflatable schoolgirls on Amazon.jp, safe in the knowledge that a certain terrifying funnel of nubby latex spirals purports to model the hoo-ha of a second year honor student (first year would make you a /ˈpiː.dəˌfaɪl/).
quit being a loving child and read some real literature

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Tree Goat posted:

you all better hope that Sapir Whorf isn’t true or you loving nerds are gonna end up with a hundred different words for describing the inside of a locker

:golfclap:

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

derp posted:

wasn't there a character in the new york trilogy that was raised in a silent dark room for years, or something like that and turned out like a weird robot

iirc her name was cassandra cain

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

derp posted:

wasn't there a character in the new york trilogy that was raised in a silent dark room for years, or something like that and turned out like a weird robot

It was nice of them to include you in the new york trilogy

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

paul auster's the enigma of kaspar hauser sounds like it has the potential of being really bad

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Endorph posted:

i know it was a retarded post but perhaps hackbunny touched a nerve??

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012
I just finished Lost in the Funhouse by John Barth. Some stories were incredible, like the one about a conjoined twin who lives his life in the literal and figurative shadow of his brother who he is connected to via stomach to lower back, others less so largely because they display a self-awareness and -referentialness that would make DWF blush. One of them even starts shouting at you as to why you are continuing to read its gibberish. His prose style reminds me most of Nabokov. In an act of prescience for modern juvenile discourse he also uses the word cuckold a ton. Over all I liked it and I definitely recommend you read him. His novel Chimera is great as well and I'll get around to some of his others at some point.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

A human heart posted:

It was nice of them to include you in the new york trilogy

i bought the new york trilogy when i was like 17 because i wanted to read some kind of detective story and the cover looked cool

I was...surprised

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Supposedly 4321 is really good and I need to build myself up for 700 pages of Auster

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

It sounds like poverty of stimulus rephrased more mysteriously

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Supposedly 4321 is really good

Where the hell do you get these things from

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Ras Het posted:

Where the hell do you get these things from

cool old dude who sells used books in the attic of a dress shop and also the NYT

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Opulent Ceremony posted:

I just finished Lost in the Funhouse by John Barth. Some stories were incredible, like the one about a conjoined twin who lives his life in the literal and figurative shadow of his brother who he is connected to via stomach to lower back, others less so largely because they display a self-awareness and -referentialness that would make DWF blush. One of them even starts shouting at you as to why you are continuing to read its gibberish. His prose style reminds me most of Nabokov. In an act of prescience for modern juvenile discourse he also uses the word cuckold a ton. Over all I liked it and I definitely recommend you read him. His novel Chimera is great as well and I'll get around to some of his others at some point.

I love Barth. He can be hard to read in 2018 because he was so innovative that so many of his stylistic techniques have since been beaten into the ground.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Endorph posted:

It's not working!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I'm reading Lem's Fiasco. It's great. Lem is a poet of inanimate matter.

What do you guys think will succeed the novel form as a literary vehicle? Most 21st century novels feel anachronistic to me. Probably my favorite book I read written after 2000 or so has been Remainder by McCarthy, but it feels like a lot of the form of the novel in that book is no longer needed, like it functions great as a novel of ideas expressed in a symbolic form, but a lot of the narrative feels a little tacked on purely to adapt it into a publishable form. Things like a plot, a protagonist (the protagonist is nameless because really, you're actively discouraged to identify with him, so why have a protagonist at all?), a beginning and resolution. This is a conversation I have a lot with professors but none of them ever even hint at a good answer to what should come after the novel. I have no idea either except that it should somehow be less focused on the actions of an individual, and have a great focus on the inanimate, on non-living processes.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 1, 2018

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Opulent Ceremony posted:

His novel Chimera is great as well and I'll get around to some of his others at some point.

read sotweed and floating opera

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

What do you guys think will succeed the novel form as a literary vehicle? Most 21st century novels feel anachronistic to me. Probably my favorite book I read written after 2000 or so has been Remainder by McCarthy, but it feels like a lot of the form of the novel in that book is no longer needed, like it functions great as a novel of ideas expressed in a symbolic form, but a lot of the narrative feels a little tacked on purely to adapt it into a publishable form. Things like a plot, a protagonist (the protagonist is nameless because really, you're actively discouraged to identify with him, so why have a protagonist at all?), a beginning and resolution. This is a conversation I have a lot with professors but none of them ever even hint at a good answer to what should come after the novel. I have no idea either except that it should somehow be less focused on the actions of an individual, and have a great focus on the inanimate, on non-living processes.

IMO McCarthy is following The Magic Mountain/Faustus/The Man Without Qualities but replacing Kant and Hegel for Kittler and Deleuze. I like McCarthy but I don't think he is working against the novel as such. Actually that was C, Remainder is working from Perec's La vie de mode d'emploi.

I think the novel is durable as an artistic form, dunno how long it will survive as a commodity.

And your solution is still to remain with the novel as vehicle while challenging its content. You want to untether the novel from human subjectivity but have it remain legible? I applaud the idea but don't know if it is tenable.

This isn't exactly what you are asking for but look up Robbe-Grillet and his idea of the noveau roman.

lmao

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Shibawanko posted:

I'm reading Lem's Fiasco. It's great. Lem is a poet of inanimate matter.

I don't know what to answer to this, but I'll say that the "mechanics" of publishing do seem to be detrimental to the art form. I've read that nobody wants to write short stories because they don't pay, and that makes me incredibly sad, because I'd love to read more short fiction. And God help you if your story is neither short nor novel-length

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

What's a good Roberto Bolaño book to read in English? Should I just start with 2666?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
savage detectives

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

pospysyl posted:

What's a good Roberto Bolaño book to read in English? Should I just start with 2666?

There's a level of intertextuality to 2666 that would perhaps work better if you read Savage Detectives first (and SD is a very good book too)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

You're right, I should get my recs by waiting 40 years for a professor to tell me it's ok to like it

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I forget who recommended it, but Multiple Choice by Zambra was a fun read. Thanks for mentioning it in here.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You're right, I should get my recs by waiting 40 years for a professor to tell me it's ok to like it

I think you just shouldn't get your lit recommendations from an American newspaper

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

A human heart posted:

I think you just shouldn't get your lit recommendations from an American newspaper

I use all sources available to me :colbert:

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I only like writers with sufficient auctoritas

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

pospysyl posted:

By Night in Chile! It's better and easier to carry.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Develop your own taste, and make sure it is opposite to the NYT's.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Boatswain posted:

Develop your own taste, and make sure it is opposite to the NYT's.

any particular reason you can actually point to or is this one of those pretension dick measuring things

btw

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/16/books/books-of-the-times-a-priest-who-lived-through-the-grim-pinochet-era.html

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
borne had a huge dick licking article in the nyt and that book sucked

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 25, 2022

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

pleasecallmechrist posted:

Speaking of publications, which do journals etc yall consider the realest of the real lit or just reliable sources of good fiction? Do you actually subscribe to NYRB, LRB, Paris review, new Yorker, Granta to name some institutions...or just at your convenience?

Oh and still hate Eggers so McSweeney's can burn

I'm a big fan complete review. And apart from that just follow this thread, publishers' email lists (Pushkin is always great), and email lists of most of those institutions you mention and also some other random ones. And then word of mouth from friends, the local bookshop, etc.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I have no friends and I only read what you guys recommend

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

I subscribe to LRB but never read the new fiction reviews

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

hackbunny posted:

I have no friends and I only read what you guys recommend

Oof, that's a tough break.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I was gifted a lrb subscription a couple of weeks ago and will do the same

Also, scouring the second hand shops for weird translations

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I follow a bunch of weirdos on goodreads who read the cool kind of books, rather than the bad kind

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 25, 2022

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Last year the LRB ran an unusually vitriolic review of the Auster before its publication (which is unusual for them) seemingly just to embarrass whoever runs the LRB bookstore who had arranged an Auster reading and signing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Mr. Squishy posted:

Last year the LRB ran an unusually vitriolic review of the Auster before its publication (which is unusual for them) seemingly just to embarrass whoever runs the LRB bookstore who had arranged an Auster reading and signing.

lol awesome

I thought the NY trilogy was pretty good when I read it like a decade ago & I like the movie Smoke (iirc William Hurt's character is supposed to be based on Auster). But I don't really have a desire to read more.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I read LRB, NLR, TLS, n+1, et al, and I follow a lot of smaller presses and I read academic journals and study my history.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

any particular reason you can actually point to or is this one of those pretension dick measuring things

btw

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/16/books/books-of-the-times-a-priest-who-lived-through-the-grim-pinochet-era.html

The NYT is parochial and rarely looks outside the confines of 'literary fiction.'

If you want to call that pretension dick measuring things then fine.