Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

DisDisDis posted:

If you're a genuine isekai liker and haven't seen it Danmachi s1 was a genuinely fun and charming show

Hey, thanks!

Isekai shows I have seen and liked: .hack//sign, .hack//roots/twilight/etc (I love .hack a LOT), Inuyasha :v:, Kyou Kara Maou, Overlord, Log Horizon (some of it), Grimgar (some of it), Youjou Senki.

Probably a few more I'm forgetting, but I'd genuinely rec some of those, regardless of what people like. (.hack//sign, Inuyasha, Overlord s1) They're just plain good shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

honestly danmachi isnt either, its just a fantasy show with gamey elements.

equally as cursed

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

DisDisDis posted:

If you're a genuine isekai liker and haven't seen it Danmachi s1 was a genuinely fun and charming show

:agreed: That show is super enjoyable, the action scenes were usually really nice as well

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

Ue, Chaika

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

quote:

Chaika and Danmachi
Tower of Druaga is another gamey fantasy show that wasn't isekai:

S1. https://myanimelist.net/anime/3230/Druaga_no_Tou__The_Aegis_of_Uruk
S2. https://myanimelist.net/anime/4726/Druaga_no_Tou__The_Sword_of_Uruk

Rage of Bahamut was based off a phone game:

S1. https://myanimelist.net/anime/21843/Shingeki_no_Bahamut__Genesis
S2. https://myanimelist.net/anime/30736/Shingeki_no_Bahamut__Virgin_Soul

So was Granblue Fantasy. Also airships!

https://myanimelist.net/anime/31629/Granblue_Fantasy_The_Animation

I haven't watched Grimoire of Zero yet but it was recent:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/34176/Zero_kara_Hajimeru_Mahou_no_Sho

Drifters is sorta isekai but its single season isn't long enough to really satisfy.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/31339/Drifters

Jackard fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 3, 2018

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hey, thanks!

Isekai shows I have seen and liked: .hack//sign, .hack//roots/twilight/etc (I love .hack a LOT), Inuyasha :v:, Kyou Kara Maou, Overlord, Log Horizon (some of it), Grimgar (some of it), Youjou Senki.

Probably a few more I'm forgetting, but I'd genuinely rec some of those, regardless of what people like. (.hack//sign, Inuyasha, Overlord s1) They're just plain good shows.

I have huge nostalgia for SIGN for being one of the first series I watched - unless you count like Pokemon on tv when I was 9 - and I absolutely love some very specific parts of it but I don't think it's a very good show overall. A lot has been said by everyone who has tried to watch it about the pacing but there's also the fact that a lot of the world-building and several of the subplots basically are around to serve as hooks into the game-series and from what I recall (it's been like 12 years don't judge) don't pay off much or get properly tied up in SIGN. Which is another thing making the pacing seem way off. Also Tsukasa is one of my favorite main characters around (no really) but frankly is not the most exciting main character to watch for a good while, to say the least. Sure there's a good reason for it but if you never get invested in Tsukasa's story in the first place then that doesn't really matter to the viewer.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

I have huge nostalgia for SIGN for being one of the first series I watched - unless you count like Pokemon on tv when I was 9 - and I absolutely love some very specific parts of it but I don't think it's a very good show overall. A lot has been said by everyone who has tried to watch it about the pacing but there's also the fact that a lot of the world-building and several of the subplots basically are around to serve as hooks into the game-series and from what I recall (it's been like 12 years don't judge) don't pay off much or get properly tied up in SIGN. Which is another thing making the pacing seem way off. Also Tsukasa is one of my favorite main characters around (no really) but frankly is not the most exciting main character to watch for a good while, to say the least. Sure there's a good reason for it but if you never get invested in Tsukasa's story in the first place then that doesn't really matter to the viewer.

On the one hand you're right, it is a flawed show and you have to be invested in Tsukasa to get any real payoff in the show. And nostalgia is a lot of what drives my love for it.

But on the other hand it's one of the very few shows (for me) that have done the "everyone teams up and goes to do one last mission against the big bad" scene and made it pay off emotionally.

My personal history with the show is like Trigun and Cowboy Bebop and the rest - I saw it when I was a young teenager, then revisited it when I was older, and decided it was still good. I also played the games and bought the translated novels, so the .hack stuff got me hook line and sinker, so for all of its flaws .hack//sign shines all the brighter to me.

...also, it's one of those few shows that shows a developing friendship that turns into genuine love between lesbians and like. Yes. Thank you. That is what I am here for.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Xinder posted:

i hate that i'm growing used to learning people are nazis

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I bounced off of Bahamut thanks to some plot choices but I hear s2 was really good so I'll check it out!

Grimoire of Zero was... I remember liking the first episode when it was airing, but I was not in an anime-watching mood that season so I didn't keep up with it. I'm down for tiger man and his witch friend adventures.

And Drifters was a hoot with one of the best animated openings I've seen in a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXabZ_-QPb0

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Yea Drifters was good but just felt really short to me, like it was still in the middle of introducing the characters.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I'm watching Danmachi S2 now

always funny how much blood there is for such a cutesy show

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

On the one hand you're right, it is a flawed show and you have to be invested in Tsukasa to get any real payoff in the show. And nostalgia is a lot of what drives my love for it.

But on the other hand it's one of the very few shows (for me) that have done the "everyone teams up and goes to do one last mission against the big bad" scene and made it pay off emotionally.

My personal history with the show is like Trigun and Cowboy Bebop and the rest - I saw it when I was a young teenager, then revisited it when I was older, and decided it was still good. I also played the games and bought the translated novels, so the .hack stuff got me hook line and sinker, so for all of its flaws .hack//sign shines all the brighter to me.

...also, it's one of those few shows that shows a developing friendship that turns into genuine love between lesbians and like. Yes. Thank you. That is what I am here for.

I'm kinda scared to rewatch it because of the slow pace and the worry that it's gonna look pretty ugly in the year 2018. Oh well.

I do appreciate how a show made to promote games managed to have so many good and progressive messages in it though. Despite vaguely fitting in the 'you die in game you die in real life' mold of MMO-anime, it's still an unquestionably positive depiction of online gaming and relationships and even escapism, the main plot is a genuine (though I can't remember how well-done) story about child abuse and mental health and the main character ends up with a character not only of the same sex but an actual person of disability to boot. In 2002.

I really love a lot about the show it's a pity the execution often left something to be desired.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

I'm kinda scared to rewatch it because of the slow pace and the worry that it's gonna look pretty ugly in the year 2018. Oh well.

I do appreciate how a show made to promote games managed to have so many good and progressive messages in it though. Despite vaguely fitting in the 'you die in game you die in real life' mold of MMO-anime, it's still an unquestionably positive depiction of online gaming and relationships and even escapism, the main plot is a genuine (though I can't remember how well-done) story about child abuse and mental health and the main character ends up with a character not only of the same sex but an actual person of disability to boot. In 2002.

I really love a lot about the show it's a pity the execution often left something to be desired.

At least it had one hell of a soundtrack!

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Virgin Soul isn't as fun if you haven't seen Bahamut S1. I'm not really sure what you could have been turned off by it, but VS probably has it too.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

DisDisDis posted:

Dannachi S2 as in Sword Girl Oratoria or whatever? That... I mean... it's alright. Ish. I hope there is a real s2.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sonic X is an isekai.

Alice in Wonderland is an isekai.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

DisDisDis posted:

whoa at the new av

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

kater posted:

Dannachi S2 as in Sword Girl Oratoria or whatever? That... I mean... it's alright. Ish. I hope there is a real s2.

Yeah I was worried cuz I thought Ais would be the pov character and the entire charm of s1 was people doting on the cute lowbie but this elf is a dope so its good

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Expect My Mom posted:

whoa at the new av

You try killing a Saiyan, they come back stronger than ever!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
[zarbon voice, removing his scouter] the power of zenkai is remarkable indeed

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

kater posted:

Virgin Soul isn't as fun if you haven't seen Bahamut S1. I'm not really sure what you could have been turned off by it, but VS probably has it too.

Virgin Soul is way worse than Genesis imo

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Yeah it's like... the parts don't add up to the whole. I can't think of anything I don't like about it, except the whole thing is just kinda... not great. But thinking about it it is obviously great with so many great things.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

kater posted:

Yeah it's like... the parts don't add up to the whole. I can't think of anything I don't like about it, except the whole thing is just kinda... not great. But thinking about it it is obviously great with so many great things.

I mean, the Sexy Anime Hitler romance is a pretty obvious flaw.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
the sexy demon guy with the blue lipstick is really hot imo

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

Would’ve made a better love interest, too.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
lmao when the two bikini fighters take Ais shopping at the bikini outfit store

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

DisDisDis posted:

It's the only way to defend yourself!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Virgin Soul built up a cast of lovable, charismatic characters and then spent all it's time on the couple of assholes who refused to grow or change in any way, instead of Anime Odd Couple Superstars Favaro and Kaisar

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i tried watching the first episode of grimoire of zero, then they showed the tiger man in full. he is absolutely 100% a fursona and i can't really handle that.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

DisDisDis posted:

lmao when the two bikini fighters take Ais shopping at the bikini outfit store

Dis is gonna have to watch Bikini Warriors next.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
extremely loving the new av, dis

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

this sounds like not an assumption that should be made for no reason

Er, sorry, wasn't being serious.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I've seen this doujin

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

chumbler posted:

Dis is gonna have to watch Bikini Warriors next.

is it good?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

is it good?

it's just very typical jokes about jrpg tropes but the characters are women with giant breasts who wear bikini armor

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

DisDisDis posted:

is it good?

I think you would approve.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

First Bikini Warriors, then Keijo.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I like this image and no other image in the google image search

^^ don't think I finished it but the keijo manga was genuinely good

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I haven't read the manga but the Keijo anime is hilarious because it's an extremely serious and well animated martial arts/sports show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Sindai posted:

I haven't read the manga but the Keijo anime is hilarious because it's an extremely serious and well animated martial arts/sports show.

Keijo is the best sports anime I have ever seen*

*(I have not watched a lot of sports anime)

• Locked thread