Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I hope Jiren loses and Toppo roasts him right back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i stole this from the trump thread on cspam, it fits here too

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Javik was the best part of Mass Effect 3, yes.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

That episode was really good!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Wrong thread.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

they should have just ripped off the dark tournament from yu yu hakusho. Teams of five have their warriors fight on on one until one teams eliminated. It'd be a lot easier not to gently caress that up.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Stairmaster posted:

they should have just ripped off the dark tournament from yu yu hakusho. Teams of five have their warriors fight on on one until one teams eliminated. It'd be a lot easier not to gently caress that up.

Considering how this arc has been far better than the time Super did that (you know, against Champa), I beg to disagree.

At least here it's the 17 Show ft. Goku and Vegeta (with notable appearances by Freeza, Krillin, Roshi, Piccolo and a dishonourable mention to Gohan) instead of the Goku and Vegeta Show.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

goku vs hit was pretty cool though

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ive liked nearly every single dragonball super episode except for I think the tien episode which was just really boring

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

eonwe posted:

ive liked nearly every single dragonball super episode except for I think the tien episode which was just really boring
Even the U4 episode?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
imnot really hard to please i like a punchman anime

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Yeah I don't overthink this poo poo and just go with the moment then wait for the next episode

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Black August posted:

Tournament of Power, but it's the entire anime in length, kept fresh by the Zen-chans making major/minor rules and format changes on the fly to get every mortal gradually wound up into a complete hysterical soul-testing frenzy as they are forced to fight at the whim of bored kids who loves dumb ideas

Remember when we were all optimistic that there was going to be a twist in the middle or near the end of the tournament, like how Frieza was going to hijack the tournament or that they'll all have to fight Grande Padre? Those were good times, huh?

eonwe posted:

Toppo threw away his idea of justice which was something he held dear in order to survive. He isn't evil, Jiren is just disappointed that he cast it aside, and in particular that he lost so he cast it aside for nothing.

Jiren is an idiot.

It bugs me that Toppo is supposedly in the wrong here for throwing his ideals away for a power-up considering the stakes of this tournament. If your universe is in danger of being erased, you'd want to try anything and everything just to survive. It's really weak that the show didn't really explore Toppo's side that much.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

amigolupus posted:

Remember when we were all optimistic that there was going to be a twist in the middle or near the end of the tournament, like how Frieza was going to hijack the tournament or that they'll all have to fight Grande Padre? Those were good times, huh?

There'll be a twist, it'll just emerge and be completely resolved within the space of around ten minutes.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There'll be a twist, it'll just emerge and be completely resolved within the space of around ten minutes.

Wow, ten episodes? That'll drag on for quite a bit longer than it really needs to.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

amigolupus posted:

The last episode will be Grand Padre killing the Zen-ohs and Gohan powering up to Blanco.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I think you mean 30 seconds(stretched out over 20 minutes).

Ougher
Jan 16, 2005

eonwe posted:

imnot really hard to please i like a punchman anime

:hf: My people. :kamina:

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

amigolupus posted:

Remember the theories that Grande Padre and the Angels were all evil? It does make me wonder why they added in the nefarious smirk of U9's Angel, or Goku glaring up at Grand Padre as he looked down at him in a smug/assholish way. And then nothing like that ever happens again.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

amigolupus posted:

Jiren is an idiot.

It bugs me that Toppo is supposedly in the wrong here for throwing his ideals away for a power-up considering the stakes of this tournament. If your universe is in danger of being erased, you'd want to try anything and everything just to survive. It's really weak that the show didn't really explore Toppo's side that much.

To be fair both those twists would have been dumb as gently caress.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Remember the theories that Grande Padre and the Angels were all evil? It does make me wonder why they added in the nefarious smirk of U9's Angel, or Goku glaring up at Grand Padre as he looked down at him in a smug/assholish way. And then nothing like that ever happens again.

I wonder when they found out about the show going on hiatus? I wonder if they had to scrap any plans/rush through some things when they found out?

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair both those twists would have been dumb as gently caress.

I wanna see a Jiren and Vegitto fusion (Vegiren) take on Grand Zeno just go balls out with the finale

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I want a fight between characters who are powerful enough to blink away entire multiverses

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Rhonne posted:

I wonder when they found out about the show going on hiatus? I wonder if they had to scrap any plans/rush through some things when they found out?
I thought the hiatus was due to Bulma's VA dying.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

amigolupus posted:

Toppo's justice is always secondary to the wellbeing of the people in his universe, and he never gave up on that ideal at all. He ultimately serves the lives of charges in his trust. Jiren is more "let justice be done though the heavens fall", and would never compromise even if it meant all the people he has a supposed duty to protect are erased. It's simple deontology vs teleology but I don't think Toppo's side was given fair credit.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I’m pretty sure that was only because U9’s angel loving hated his universe. And maybe Grand Padre was just thinking of a funny joke at the wrong time? Like when you accidentally laugh during a funeral.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Ravel posted:

Toppo's justice is always secondary to the wellbeing of the people in his universe, and he never gave up on that ideal at all. He ultimately serves the lives of charges in his trust. Jiren is more "let justice be done though the heavens fall", and would never compromise even if it meant all the people he has a supposed duty to protect are erased. It's simple deontology vs teleology but I don't think Toppo's side was given fair credit.

He'd probably have a lot more room to talk if he didn't botch the big one. If he just took his giant Lorax hands and flung the mostly-dead Frieza out of the ring, rather than taking his sweet time Gohaning him, then that would've made this 2-3 instead of 1-4.

Then again, Jiren could've helped his bud out rather than wasting time fighting a guy he expressly gives no fucks about.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The Awesomesaurus posted:

I’m pretty sure that was only because U9’s angel loving hated his universe. And maybe Grand Padre was just thinking of a funny joke at the wrong time? Like when you accidentally laugh during a funeral.

Universe 9 is nothing but nerds from top to bottom; I’d hate it too.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Sockser posted:

Universe 9 is nothing but nerds from top to bottom; I’d hate it too.

I think that's Universe 3. Universe 9 was the shithole Universe with the Trio de Dangers.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Pureauthor posted:

I think that's Universe 3. Universe 9 was the shithole Universe with the Trio de Dangers.

Yeah I’m calling the werewolf Bros a bunch of nerds cause they suck. Universe 3 is literal nerds but they’re also sweet death robots so it cancels out.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Sockser posted:

Yeah I’m calling the werewolf Bros a bunch of nerds cause they suck. Universe 3 is literal nerds but they’re also sweet death robots so it cancels out.

Bergamo is a man who came from poverty, survived only due to sticking to his loved family, and risked his life to save every Universe from the evil Son Goku, showing love even for the worst of the worst places to live that is his own Universe 9.

Bergamo is more of a hero than the Pride Troopers.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

amigolupus posted:

Jiren is an idiot.

This really feels like one of those things where, if you have to ask why, you're never going to know.

Ultimately, it's a question if survival is the greatest good, something the show already pretty much rejected out of hand already.

'sides. It's shonen. Dudes getting killed for their principles are almost always shown to be noble and heroic, whereas making decisions against them to save your own rear end is bad, and making those decisions to save someone else is usually a tragic failure.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Shinjobi posted:

Didn't want Gohan to become a "main" character again. I never expected him to make it anywhere further than the final four, if that. He couldn't even accomplish that.

1)He is going to find a new path to power and get even stronger. He did not.

2)He is going to be the team strategist. Aside from "hey we should work together" and cooperating on a plan Freiza made up, he did not.

3)He holds back on 17's double sacrifice strategy and then proceeds to use it himself the very next episode.

I am perfectly fine with Gohan not getting any stronger than he was in DBZ. But I'd much rather the show write him a goal, then actually show him making some sort of progression towards it. If Gohan was anything in this fight, it'd be the "outclassed team captain" trope from sports series. He's expected to punch above his weight class, and find some way to draw out a win or at least a draw against them. He sort of accomplished this, but ultimately his elimination came across as a wet fart since Dyspo really failed to be intimidating at that point.

Is this a problem only with Gohan in Super? Nope. But Super's failure to give any sort of satisfaction to Gohan's story is just more fuel to the fire for me. I'd have rather they just left him in Dad mode than put him back in the damned gi.

The more I think about it, I think they should have kept Gohan around and have him double KO with Toppo instead of Dyspo.

Stay a while so I can regale you with dumb fanfic ideas. 17 already berated Gohan so Gohan feels the need to prove himself when Toppo breaks 17 like a twig and rings him out so we see he's actually gone way too far compared to just beating Frieza up (which he does too). Gohan loves him some justice and is fully aware about the problems of embracing grotesque displays of power where you lose your humanity and self control, so it would make for a more or as interesting foil against Toppo than Vegeta. Toppo bashes him around but like Vegeta Gohan embraces love to stand up against Toppo and like Vegeta calls him out on abandoning his principles, at which point he does something clever to remove them both from the ring that exploits Toppo's single minded bloodlust, thereby giving something cooler for Gohan to do than taking out Dyspo, making Toppo's hypocrisy and decisions more effective and you can still have most of the other stuff play out like normal.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean not really people seem to want them to spell it out like they are six and get really mad.

Why you acting like a dumb baby.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 5, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The no u defense?

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Stallion Cabana posted:

Their long con of protecting their universe and being well respected heroes only to reveal to a bunch of random people from other universes that no, they're actually all assholes has gone off without a hitch. It's perfect. Despite the episodes of set up of them stopping a planet destroying monster and the Commander risking his life to save a kitten stuck in some power lines for no profit, that was clearly all a cunning ruse by the Troopers to make people think they're good, when actually they're all jerks who hate each other. Even the line about Jiren and Toppo being best friends was a cunning ruse to people they'd never met to make them think the Pride Troopers were honorable, all to get the advantage they'd need to take down the other universes, but thankfully Universe 7 saw through their tricks and knew they were the villains they truly are. Now Goku, Vegeta, 17, and Frezia just have to defeat this single powerful evil warrior, Jiren, and they can save their universe.

We really weren't shown enough of U11 to get much of an impression of them. Their Supreme Kai was shown to be an arrogant piece of poo poo, from the get-go. Belmod's a bit more tactful but shares the same arrogance. There was no clever reveal. Those were characters we were clearly set up to hate and be okay with seeing erased.

Toppo was more characterized than the other characters from the universe. I definitely got the sense that he was a really great guy, just doing what he can. He was the only person in U11 that seemed to take the possibility of losing the tournament seriously. The look of existential dread on his face while he was sitting at the bar, realizing he couldn't beat Goku... worrying that his universe was going to be erased, really got to me. As well as the look on his face when he realized he bit off more than he could chew with Vegeta. I just feel sorry for the guy. He got cheesed by Frieza, beaten by the guy who never wins anything, and now probably is going to get erased because his universe's Kai was an rear end in a top hat.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I miss Gowasu.

:smith:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The dub is going to be introducing him soon.

There is a good chance they lean into the YouTuber thing.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I still can't believe that one of the kais being a wannabe Youtuber is a real thing and not a shitpost.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

mycot posted:

I still can't believe that one of the kais being a wannabe Youtuber is a real thing and not a shitpost.

'wannabe'??

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
My opinion on Toppo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt7FaeATIJg

(We kept making Over Justice jokes this entire arc whenever Toppo mentioned justice, so I can tell you it was pretty heavily foreshadowed)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

CharlestheHammer posted:

The no u defense?

Stop stamping your feet because people are talking about how the episode's drama was underwhelming.