Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I had completely forgotten the best part of FE9's BEXP system: being able to freely reset almost any level I want with minimal hassle so my babies Mist and Rolf will have way better stats than they have any right to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

Hell yeah I love me some buttrock.

E: Wait never mind there are zero songs from Path of Radiance, what were they thinking?

There are some PoR tracks in their first album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbzLNh9BiOM

Not buttrock though, sorry to disappoint.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I would like to express my dissatisfaction with the fact that the black knight arrives as an ambush reinforcement on turn 6 of chapter 11.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Amppelix posted:

I would like to express my dissatisfaction with the fact that the black knight arrives as an ambush reinforcement on turn 6 of chapter 11.

:getin: :unsmigghh: :vd:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Amppelix posted:

He doesn't appear on Turn 6 of chapter 11. He appears when you get into combat with the boss.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ah, I see. I thought it'd be when I killed the boss so I tested for that and it did nothing so I assumed otherwise.

Still a bit bullshit though, especially with the village that's very conveniently next to his spawn.

E: alright, new startegy is to pack every single person on the left half of the map except Lethe who will blaze a trail through the right side and be just in time to recruit Zihark before her timer runs out. And then if I'm really good I can even position her in such a way that the idiot vigilante won't kill themselves on Zihark and will attack her when she's defenceless.

Edit the second: Path of Radiance has soft turn limits on pretty much every map that, if you go over, lessen your BEXP gain. I really wish I didn't have to look these up on the internet. Not just because it's inconvenient, is there any negative effect from surfacing this information? I think it'd be a pretty great little incentive to stop players from just turtling their way through a map and thinking about more proactive ways to play, which is where FE is most fun imo. Maybe just a line of text in the map overview would be fine.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 4, 2018

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
incidentally (if anyone's bored) a new full romhack was released on serenesforest called the Road to Ruin as of ~december 18 https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/25912-the-road-to-ruin-complete-v303-released/

I've played 8 chapters in and it's OK. Your chars' luck stats are similar to FE6 for some reason so you can occasionally get crit. you also get a swordmaster jagen who is almost hilariously bad. can't think of anything much more to say.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Hm, I'm about to embark on the impossible quest of trying to fulfil chapter 15's bonus objective (which is to kill no enemies besides the boss) while also getting all the good treasure. This could take a while. I might even have to dump some BEXP into Sothe just for a second treasure-gatherer.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

make sure you get stefan

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Heyy I did it, Stefan included! Only treasure I missed is a Statue Frag (lol). I'm pretty proud of myself for the plan I came up with (which involved rescuedropping lethe to get stefan, and very careful manoeuvring around the middle of the map to get treasure and make sure nothing on either side died) but even with The Plan I still only had like a 10% success rate, thanks to killing the boss requiring Soren to proc adept, and other small RNG factors along the way. Thankfully I'm on an emulator and could turn the theoretically valid plan into an actually successful one within minutes, instead of an hours of resets.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Amppelix posted:

Hm, I'm about to embark on the impossible quest of trying to fulfil chapter 15's bonus objective (which is to kill no enemies besides the boss) while also getting all the good treasure. This could take a while. I might even have to dump some BEXP into Sothe just for a second treasure-gatherer.

This took me 9+ hours of stream. Including all treasures. The "Sure Fire" way to do it, is to have Jill and Marcia at Promoted level for the move and also Beast Slayer. I didn't so I had to hope for a crit with Stephan.

Note: I did it in the turn limit too.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I'm actually playing through Path of Radiance for the first time too! Just reached chapter 27.

I'm surprised that I'm actually finding the game less challenging than Sacred Stones (didn't enter any optional battles in that game, haven't used any bonus EXP in this aside from giving Mist a few levels at a friend's insistence). I probably enjoy it more than the GBA games though; level design is generally varied and interesting, and I like shoving and the return of skills and full re-move a lot. Definitely wish the game were a bit more challenging (disappointing that Maniac was removed in the US version, although I've heard from some people that it wasn't a very interesting hard mode anyway?) but this is probably my second favorite in the series after Thracia.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I know it's been said like a thousand times in this thread but if PoR had faster animations and/or a skip button like the 3DS games it would be the best FE of all time and I would be replaying it constantly.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I'm actually playing through Path of Radiance for the first time too! Just reached chapter 27.

I'm surprised that I'm actually finding the game less challenging than Sacred Stones (didn't enter any optional battles in that game, haven't used any bonus EXP in this aside from giving Mist a few levels at a friend's insistence). I probably enjoy it more than the GBA games though; level design is generally varied and interesting, and I like shoving and the return of skills and full re-move a lot. Definitely wish the game were a bit more challenging (disappointing that Maniac was removed in the US version, although I've heard from some people that it wasn't a very interesting hard mode anyway?) but this is probably my second favorite in the series after Thracia.

maniac is just, here's 69 more paladins on the map have fun watching them all attack then die

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

Maniac mode is just inflated enemy numbers, so it's boring and long as poo poo.

EDIT: Or like above.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The one good thing about maniac is Tanith is loving insane because her reinforcements scale with difficulty

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Onmi posted:

This took me 9+ hours of stream. Including all treasures. The "Sure Fire" way to do it, is to have Jill and Marcia at Promoted level for the move and also Beast Slayer. I didn't so I had to hope for a crit with Stephan.

I’m honestly curious whether or not you actually get more EXP overall by killing them since they’re treated as not-manaketes experience piñatas iirc.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

I’m honestly curious whether or not you actually get more EXP overall by killing them since they’re treated as not-manaketes experience piñatas iirc.

Let's see! Using Hard Mode (my playthrough) as the example

If you 1. Keep all 19 Laguz alive, 2. Finish the map in 7 yes, 7 loving turns, then you will overall get 1360 BEXP. Using the BEXP trick, you can gain 13 levels minimum with this BEXP on an unpromoted unit.

Experience for a defeated unit is = (Battle Exp base + [enemy’s Power – Power] + Mode bonus + Boss bonus + Thief bonus) x Skill coefficient. Now, each Laguz, while transformed, is a promoted unit, so There's Battle EXP Base + [20 - 0 (If unpromoted otherwise -20)] + 15 + 0 + 0) x Paragon If you have it.

Battle EXP base is: = (21 + [20 – 0]) / 2 So, against a Laguz you gain 21 EXP per hit, so let's adjust that, assuming equal level 21+20= 41+15=56 EXP per kill on a Laguz. Except I might be mathing wrong. But with 19 Laguz on the map, with 56 per kill, then... 1064 EXP total. Not counting Muarim of course.

EDIT: Of course this considers like... One-shotting the enemy, not just hitting them for EXP as well.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Onmi posted:

I did it in the turn limit too, in fact I did it way sooner because I didn't care about all the treasure. 4 turns was the perfect amount. After that the enemy density gets too high as more laguz keep transforming and eventually someone would've gotten mist or sothe killed and I couldn't prevent it. The key, I found, to clearing the way of all the threats that exist by turn 4 is to hurt them enough to trigger the AI to run away and heal, which they prioritise even over getting easy kills.

Oh yeah, and I wasn't lowmanning the map at all and in fact deployed several hindrances because I wanted to build supports.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Amppelix posted:

I did it in the turn limit too, in fact I did it way sooner because I didn't care about all the treasure. 4 turns was the perfect amount. After that the enemy density gets too high as more laguz keep transforming and eventually someone would've gotten mist or sothe killed and I couldn't prevent it. The key, I found, to clearing the way of all the threats that exist by turn 4 is to hurt them enough to trigger the AI to run away and heal, which they prioritise even over getting easy kills.

Oh yeah, and I wasn't lowmanning the map at all and in fact deployed several hindrances because I wanted to build supports.
drat good, and yeah, I had to work with that. I did low man it, but that also had to do with the majority of my team being, ya know, bad, and unable to kill Muarim

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I don't want to brag too much because I'm sure my clear would've taken hours too if I didn't liberally exercise savestates, first to check if it was possible, and then to just roll the odds when I knew it was. I had to reset for the cat in the upper right to have good enough stats that Lethe wouldn't instantly kill him, and then another cat was stupid/smart enough to stand right in front of Muarim while healing so I couldn't do my planned kill with Marcia's laguz lance and instead had to rely on the adept proc from Soren, along with Ilyana getting a shot in too and then getting shoved away. An attempt would've taken at least five minutes, probably ten, so with those odds I'm sure it would've stretched on and on.

E: Check out this insane Jill I got, and without any of the obsessive resetting for levels I tend to do either:

+2 str, +1 skl, +4 spd, +2 def. And this was mostly from chapter 17. She entered it at like level 16, exited promoted, and all four levels were amazing. She quickly surpassed Marcia in speed (and pretty much every other area...) and would've soloed the later parts if I'd let her. These stats are so solid she could probably gain crap for the rest of the game and still be a staple all the way to the end.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 5, 2018

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Amppelix posted:

I don't want to brag too much because I'm sure my clear would've taken hours too if I didn't liberally exercise savestates, first to check if it was possible, and then to just roll the odds when I knew it was. I had to reset for the cat in the upper right to have good enough stats that Lethe wouldn't instantly kill him, and then another cat was stupid/smart enough to stand right in front of Muarim while healing so I couldn't do my planned kill with Marcia's laguz lance and instead had to rely on the adept proc from Soren, along with Ilyana getting a shot in too and then getting shoved away. An attempt would've taken at least five minutes, probably ten, so with those odds I'm sure it would've stretched on and on.

E: Check out this insane Jill I got, and without any of the obsessive resetting for levels I tend to do either:

+2 str, +1 skl, +4 spd, +2 def. And this was mostly from chapter 17. She entered it at like level 16, exited promoted, and all four levels were amazing. She quickly surpassed Marcia in speed (and pretty much every other area...) and would've soloed the later parts if I'd let her. These stats are so solid she could probably gain crap for the rest of the game and still be a staple all the way to the end.

My flyers on the otherhand, did not have such a blessing, nor did anyone else.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The trick to Jill, Oscar, and Astrid (and Makalov I guess) is realizing that steel axes are E rank for some reason and a forged steel axe has 16 might. As an E rank weapon. That they can use right after promoting.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Onmi posted:

My flyers on the otherhand, did not have such a blessing, nor did anyone else.

Uh, is this not like an absolutely stupidly blessed marcia

Or did you stuff her with stat boosters?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Amppelix posted:

No no, my Ike had to take all the stat boosters

Marcia might be 'blessed' but when the boss is Muarim

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Amppelix posted:

she's ahead by 2-3 points in every stat except skill, yeah.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Also it would level itself out as she'd never gain strength again for multiple levels. 15 was the 'Magic strength number' in my team, as no one ever got more than it, except for Ike, who if I didn't give him stat boosters... Oh, wait this wasn't my stream file! This was my private file! My stream Ike was level 20 at this point.

Jill after an unfortunate crit.

THIS was my Marcia

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

RIP in peace the old unfinished Path of Radiance LP Marcia

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Gandhichan's Marcia was a winged god of destruction

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Is Rolf's characterization in PoR a bit confused, or am I just reading it wrong? Depending on the support you're reading, he'll either be a total sensitive crybaby, or the coolest child who ever lived who won't let emotions get in his way. Like, how can Marcia complain the he grew up too fast, and then the next thing you know he's running to Shinon like a puppy to show off his bow skills and crying when he doesn't get praised. Yes, I did just happen to see these two supports next to each other, why do you ask

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I admire your dedication to archers to use two of the worst in the series at the same time

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Amppelix posted:

Is Rolf's characterization in PoR a bit confused, or am I just reading it wrong? Depending on the support you're reading, he'll either be a total sensitive crybaby, or the coolest child who ever lived who won't let emotions get in his way. Like, how can Marcia complain the he grew up too fast, and then the next thing you know he's running to Shinon like a puppy to show off his bow skills and crying when he doesn't get praised. Yes, I did just happen to see these two supports next to each other, why do you ask
he's trying to be cool around marcia because shes a GIRL but he sees shinon as a father figure so hes willing to be more emotional with him because he wants affection in a way he's never received before

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ok I'm not actually using Shinon, that support is unlocked for free! For free i tell you!

I do have some standards, and Shinon is a) not a tiny level 1 child with terrible bases and b) an rear end

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Amppelix posted:

Is Rolf's characterization in PoR a bit confused, or am I just reading it wrong? Depending on the support you're reading, he'll either be a total sensitive crybaby, or the coolest child who ever lived who won't let emotions get in his way. Like, how can Marcia- complain the he grew up too fast, and then the next thing you know he's running to Shinon like a puppy to show off his bow skills and crying when he doesn't get praised. Yes, I did just happen to see these two supports next to each other, why do you ask

He's a child in a war zone who's trying to act way more mature than he really can be.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Rolf is definitly putting it on for Marcia and Mist, he's trying to be cool and prove how above it all he is, but deep down he's an emotional wreck. but since Shinon is the only one who's ever like... given him anything, actually treated him as more than a brat, he opens up to Shinon.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

After this PoR playthrough it's obviously time for an RD one and since I've actually played that game quite a bit I think it might be time for the ol' gimmick run. Girls only sounds tempting as that'd let me engage in my favourite FE activity a lot (which is raising really really bad units, if you couldn't tell.) Are there other obvious ones?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

RD availability makes gimmick runs a little rough. Even girls only pretty much requires Nolan be an honorary girl for a while. I think I was able to solo the crimea chapters with just marcia though.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

There are a few playable affinity runs in PoR. Earth and Fire are fairly straightforward, Wind is interesting but is entirely midgame units so you have to cheat for a few chapters, Light is a neat challenge run because it's three total characters that you get early including Titania.

Radiant Dawn kinda doesn't have anything I can think of, though.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'd obviously make allowances for earlygame. I think I might even do something like, use everyone who gets force deployed, but when given control only deploy according to the rules I set. So more like a half gimmick run I guess. Whatever, I'll play it by ear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the first 3 or 4 maps are impossible with just Micaiah.