Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

probably not, no. nerve damage.

drat. What happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I had absolutely no love for the comic; Jump loved playing it off as one of the New Big Three but it refused steadfast to do anything interesting with its parallel worlds premise and instead just do “training” fights ad infinitum but it sucks royal it, and for all intents its writer, went out like that.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 26, 2018

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Jose posted:

drat. What happened?
spondylosis. And it's really bad apparently.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

RatHat posted:

Maybe the author can find an artist to draw it for him and then he'd only have to write it/maybe some light storyboarding.

I feel like for this to happen, World Trigger would have had to like, actually been good

e: like, I feel bad for the dude, but he's done with manga forever. To be able to find an artist in situations like this, you have to, like, be a writer that artists actually want to work with; Go Nagai can do it, Tetsuo Hara can do it, ONE can do it, etc. The guy who wrote World Trigger, one of the worst shonen in recent memory, is nowhere near that caliber.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 26, 2018

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I feel like for this to happen, World Trigger would have had to like, actually been good

e: like, I feel bad for the dude, but he's done with manga forever. To be able to find an artist in situations like this, you have to, like, be a writer that artists actually want to work with; Go Nagai can do it, Tetsuo Hara can do it, ONE can do it, etc. The guy who wrote World Trigger, one of the worst shonen in recent memory, is nowhere near that caliber.

I tried to read it because people seemed to really like it, but dear god it was one of the most boring things I've ever read. Nothing happened. Nothing ever loving happened. Did they ever go to that other world, or did they just hint and tease about it for loving ever?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Actually World Trigger is super rad and has (had :smith: ) some of the best battles in shonen rivaling only HxH, solid world-building and interesting main character, so the fact that it will never continue and that its author will never draw manga again is serious bummer.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I will say that World Trigger had some good group battles. I've mainly seen team fights in sports based series, so seeing team tactics used in a battle series is somewhat novel.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

WT had the potential to be good so that's saying a lot already. I do wish they focused on fewer characters than the giant cast with each team battle. Also, it had a interesting intro and organization that made somewhat sense too.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Is Full Drive cancelled? I think it might have gotten the axe.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

KnY is picking up with the conclusion to the latest battle. Also, progress :3:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a pyrrhic victory where everyone involved was in the process of dying oh no actually tiny nezuko saved the day and they are all fine. hooray for tiny nezuko!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

a pyrrhic victory where everyone involved was in the process of dying oh no actually tiny nezuko saved the day and they are all fine. hooray for tiny nezuko!
Well the pillar is down a hand and eye now.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Fabricated posted:

Well the pillar is down a hand and eye now.

he'll probably have to retire, but the turnover rate for upper moons thus far has been zero. the lower moons are killed and replaced quite often, but the upper moons have always remained the same until now. so,
a pillar killing one (kinda) without even dying in the process is a huge win.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

That's so sad, both for the author and the manga. I really enjoyed it, although the plot was moving incredibly slow I absolutely loved the fighting system and the strategies used.

Yeah, it's a shame. I can understand why people complain about the setting and large cast, but I actually really like the large cast and consider the battles to be the best in a shounen manga with the possible exception of HxH. It was just a lot of fun to read. It's really a shame that so few series have decent fights like that. The closest thing to HxH or World Trigger quality fights I can think of is maybe some Jojo fights, but most shounen battles are more about style than substance (and there's nothing necessarily wrong with that, but I just wish such manga didn't make up 90+ percent of shounen titles).

One thing I really appreciated is that while there are some exceptionally talented characters in World Trigger, no one is really capable of just owning multiple other people unless they's a really big skill gap. Even the people with black triggers would struggle against more than a few talented enemy characters with regular triggers or people using a good strategy. So even though "power levels" existed in some limited sense, they could be overcome through strategy or numbers.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

jesus I see one mangaka really, really liked Mirai Nikki

like I kind of got halfway through that spoiler and was like "okay wait this sounds familiar" and then I got to "rewind time and run the death games again to make the protag the same guy" and went "OH GOD drat IT" out loud

e: I can't comment on which manga executes it better, because I haven't read Kami no Iu Toori, but that's loving hilarious that there's two with almost that exact same plot beat

Kami no Iu Toori is significantly better and more entertaining than Mirai Nikki in my opinion. I hadn't noticed that similarity until you pointed it out, though yeah it is kinda funny. One key difference is that the motivation is different. In Kami no Iu Toori the protagonist's friend has the option to rewind time and never have the death games and meet the protagonist under peaceful circumstances, but he chooses to redo the death games (but with him as the leader this time) because they're what made the protagonist develop into the person he became so attached to. The time-rewinding also isn't a plot-point or anything; it's just the conclusion of the series, with nothing post-rewind covered.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I remember that there was a live-action adaptation of Kami no Iu Toori. I looked up the trailer and that lead me to read the manga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEh1fT1IH14

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Not even We Can't Study can make beach episodes not suck.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Darth TNT posted:

Not even We Can't Study can make beach episodes not suck.

It was actually a super good fanservice chapter.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

You'd think at this point he'd just nope on out of there the moment he catches a glimpse of that walking disaster, but I guess that's why it's called We Never Learn.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
He tried to do that a few chapters ago actually.

I do wonder how that woman manages to function. Except for teaching she seems to gently caress up every single thing she does. It's honestly impressive!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Hate-Senpai posted:

It was actually a super good fanservice chapter.

True, the guy can draw a good set of fairly realistic boobs. However I prefer a bit more laughs and cuteness over fanservice. :dunno:
I just found the bra obsessed wildlife a bit too farfetched.

Mulderman posted:

He tried to do that a few chapters ago actually.

I do wonder how that woman manages to function. Except for teaching she seems to gently caress up every single thing she does. It's honestly impressive!
Easy, she has a student to cover for her. :v:

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Found a new manga, enough similarities to 'We Never Learn!' that I decided to sit down and try it. It's decent. Not as good as WNL but hey, it might scratch the same itch for someone.

Go-Toubun No Hanayome

Premise :

A high school student living in incredibly poor conditions but who gets extremely good scores on tests is hired to be a tutor for five quintuplets, each of which has at least one subject they're good with but overall usually get failing marks.

It focuses a lot on fan service, and the struggle for the protagonist is more along the lines of actually getting the girls to study in the first place. The protagonist can be somewhat abrasive at times which is actually kind of nice change of pace from Nariyuki being overly nice about literally everything.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

khy posted:

I remember that there was a live-action adaptation of Kami no Iu Toori. I looked up the trailer and that lead me to read the manga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEh1fT1IH14

What the flying gently caress did I just watch :stare:

Okay I'm getting the vibe that my comparison was a little off, except that (assuming this is an accurate adaptation) the authors of both series mainlined as much coke as humanly loving possible before writing them

this seems less like a battle-royale series and more like "Kaiji on loving acid"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

caught up on soukyuu no ariadne (the new series by the author of claymore) and it's it's not bad. I like the art a lot better than claymore for starters. it's not really doing anything new but the characters are fun. especially the princess, who's great so far

khy
Aug 15, 2005

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

What the flying gently caress did I just watch :stare:

Okay I'm getting the vibe that my comparison was a little off, except that (assuming this is an accurate adaptation) the authors of both series mainlined as much coke as humanly loving possible before writing them

this seems less like a battle-royale series and more like "Kaiji on loving acid"

Kami no Iu Toori isn't a Battle Royale. There's exactly ONE link between the two series, and that's the very end goal of both series : they seek to find who will be a new god

All of the games end with horrible death, sure, but most of them aren't a competition; some are downright cooperative. The antagonists tend to be the dolls and games and not other people for the most part.

As an example, the Daruma Doll that's in the trailer : It's just a game of red-light-green-light where you can move forward if the doll isn't facing you, but when it turns if you're seen as moving then your head explodes. Whoever reaches the doll and presses the button on its back stops the game. It could easily have had a dozen or two dozen 'winners', though that didn't end up being the case.

I do think you're correct about large quantities of drugs being involved with both series.

khy fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 6, 2018

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

caught up on soukyuu no ariadne (the new series by the author of claymore) and it's it's not bad. I like the art a lot better than claymore for starters. it's not really doing anything new but the characters are fun. especially the princess, who's great so far

Where can I read it?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

Where can I read it?

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Soukyuu-no-Ariadne/Ch-001--The-flying-city-of-the-heavens?id=393647

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Thank you. :) I had forgotten the link.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
In Kimetsu no Yaiba, was Upper Moon 6 the sister, the brother, or both of them?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Mraagvpeine posted:

In Kimetsu no Yaiba, was Upper Moon 6 the sister, the brother, or both of them?

Yes.

(Given that they had to be killed simultaneously, I'd guess "both")

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
The two of them make up 1 demon. As an aside, I realized this morning that I was behind like 4 chapters - the latest are on Mangadex.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/we-can-t-study/en/0/50/page/1
:toot:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Funny that they swapped it around. Instead of Nariyuki caught with the girls it's the girls caught with the boys.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
True that was a pretty neat subversion of the trope.

Also, why can't people hold glasses in this series!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Here's a promising new series, by what appears to be a new author! The Hero Girl and the Green Magician

About a weak goblin who wants to be the new demon king, and is mistaken for a human child by a hero who has entered the dungeon. The art is exceptionally good for a new artist, too. Lots of really solid action, and some good monster designs too. The hero girl Rika's weapon, some kind of hydraulic mecha fist thing, is rad as hell too, reminds me of Battle Chasers a bit. Only one chapter, but it's a pretty great one!

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Captain Invictus posted:

Here's a promising new series, by what appears to be a new author! The Hero Girl and the Green Magician

I'm definitely interested in more of this. This chapter was giving me a bit of an early Helck vibe. Way into the giant robot fist.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Robot fists are indeed sweet. I'm on board with this.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Welcome to the Death Games genre of manga. It's probably the most entertaining semi-formulaic manga genre I can think of. My favorite trope is the whole "protagonist usually ends up with some crazy fucker getting a murder-boner for him" thing that seems to happen in a lot of these series. Kami no Iu Touri 2 (the continuation of sorts of the first with a different protagonist) actually mixes thing up a bit by having a guy is just kind of weird, rather than outright murderous, fit that role.

khy posted:

It's just a game of red-light-green-light where you can move forward if the doll isn't facing you, but when it turns if you're seen as moving then your head explodes. Whoever reaches the doll and presses the button on its back stops the game. It could easily have had a dozen or two dozen 'winners', though that didn't end up being the case.

IIRC this isn't the case. It's revealed at some point, I think during the flashback of the second protagonist's buddy, that only the first person to reach the Daruma lives - everyone else dies. I remember the other classmates being like "you saved us!" and then blowing up.

Most of the games are either cooperative or offer the option of cooperating, but there are some interspersed where only one person can live. I remember this actually being a plot-point of sorts - how people who form teams inevitably end up forced into a situation where not everyone can live.

edit: Oh wait, the whole "forming teams can bite you in the rear end" aspect was for a different death game manga - Alice in Borderland (which is also entertaining as heck).

edit2: Speaking of Alice in Borderland, unless I'm misremembering it had a trans character who was actually dealt with pretty well (which is a rarity for most manga, particularly those aimed mostly at men).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 12, 2018

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

IIRC this isn't the case. It's revealed at some point, I think during the flashback of the second protagonist's buddy, that only the first person to reach the Daruma lives - everyone else dies. I remember the other classmates being like "you saved us!" and then blowing up.

I don't remember that bit, but it HAS been a long time since I read it. I do recall that there was some amount of cooperation required for the second game : The cat game had to have one person scratching the cat's back to placate him while another dunked the bell, didn't it? At least in the manga, I never watched the film.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Looks really nice, thank you for posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Golem Hearts and Full Drive are canned looks like.