Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
It's funny that big boy gohan styles his hair specifically to recapture that one magic moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

excuse me but he clearly styles his hair after his role model yamcha

I bet the entire reason they had yamcha grow his hair back out is so he and gohan don't look similar

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

excuse me but he clearly styles his hair after his role model yamcha

I bet the entire reason they had yamcha grow his hair back out is so he and gohan don't look similar

Putting Gohan in orange gi didn't help much either.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

why Gohan didn't get the purple gi again I'll never know. It was like, right there! it would have been a fan service play but drat wouldn't it have looked good

I guess if you read between the lines the last time Gohan wore the orange gi he messed up royally against Buu and so he wanted to restore honor to it by using it in the ToP and winning

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Carlosologist posted:

Remember when Tien lost his arm against Nappa? That was weirdly dark, which kinda sums up the whole Saiyan Saga really.

“So you know all your favorite characters from Dragon Ball? They all die gruesomely and rather easily!”

man thinking about it EVERYONE got hosed up in that fight, even goku spent a good chunk on his back due to self-destructing from kaio-ken overuse

that fight is still the one time in shounen that a double-edged power has had serious in-fight consequences i think

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Zedd posted:

Gohan during Cell looks jacked beyond belief considering he is supposed to be ~11.

They come out of the chamber early but he spent a solid 8 months or so doing nothing but high intensity training with someone who could only be considered a professional trainer by any given standard and all the food/necessities he needs to facilitate proper training.
It'd be stranger if he wasn't.

It's like in My Hero Academia at the start when Deku spends the best part of a year training with All Might to get in good shape but the story carries on like he's utterly inept at physical feats by regular human standards. Immersion breaking.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

My Hero Academia lost me when the kid protagonist actually got super powers.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
my hero academia is actually insanely good

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Raxivace posted:

Stick with it, he goes through a good arc of "oh poo poo, I actually have no idea how to control this phenomenal super strength, and my body isn't built to handle the strain"

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm betting Frieza is going to make some wish with the Super Dragon Balls, become a God among Gods and kill Beerus and maybe even Zen-Oh. Since people can become Gods of Destruction and Goku \ Vegeta may be candidates, I have a feeling that Beerus is going to die and it's going to be very sad.

I know it's Dragon Ball and everyone comes back from death, but when Champa and the Universe 6 guys got erased, it was a really bittersweet moment. Even though I'm sure they will come back and Vegeta said that's what he wants his wish to be. Maybe Vegeta will bring Sadala to Universe 7, rebuild the Saiyan race and truly be the Prince of All Saiyans for real.

Alternatively, Freeza wishes for godhood greater than Zen-o's and turns into Toriyama. He then has to spend eternity writing about how great Goku is while getting yelled at by editors.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

deadly_pudding posted:

Stick with it, he goes through a good arc of "oh poo poo, I actually have no idea how to control this phenomenal super strength, and my body isn't built to handle the strain"
I might go back to it at some point, I was just more into it as a story of a have-not competing with the haves anyways, instead of a new have competing with old haves.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Raxivace posted:

I might go back to it at some point, I was just more into it as a story of a have-not competing with the haves anyways, instead of a new have competing with old haves.

He's still never much a have-not and it's a major part of his strife because he doesn't feel like the power is his own or that maybe its better with someone else or if he never got it.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Raxivace posted:

rip mx0, too good for this world

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Go back to My Hero Academia. It's really freaking good, especially in the second season
It completely dodges the make the mistake that Naruto where it felt like the "underdog" was given a free pass to success by total circumstance. Whatever Deku is given, its because he went above and beyond earning it.

Augus fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 7, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

anyway i just saw the vegeta vs toppo thing and thought it was super rad, and think the people complaining about it are weird

these are my incredibly important childrens cartoon opinions, thank you

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Raxivace posted:

It's worth giving another try, honestly.

eonwe posted:

my hero academia is actually insanely good

It's definitely not "insanely good" though. It's very solid most of the time which makes it stand out against its peers though, imo.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Carlosologist posted:

why Gohan didn't get the purple gi again I'll never know. It was like, right there! it would have been a fan service play but drat wouldn't it have looked good

The manga has him wear Piccolo's clothes again, and it is good. Toyotarou did good in changing that bad decision for a good one.

Also FighterZ has his second colour choice be purple gi with white undershirt and I can't use any other colour. Gohan needs to be purple.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Gohan looked good in that movie where he's still SSJ2 Teen Gohan where he reps Goku's gi. Bojack I think? It has the long orange haired female character too.

He should be Piccolo's son repping purple outside of that movie.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea that was bojack unbound

gohan should have kept that training outfit he had from the early buu saga

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Gohan should've asked Kibito to CLOTHES BEAM him up a combination of Goku and Piccolo's outfits imo.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Actually his best outfit was great saiyaman sans cape and headgear

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

They come out of the chamber early but he spent a solid 8 months or so doing nothing but high intensity training with someone who could only be considered a professional trainer by any given standard and all the food/necessities he needs to facilitate proper training.
It'd be stranger if he wasn't.
I think he looked rad at that point in the story and it makes total sense he is jacked, I just don't think a body that age can even get that jacked. :v:
Then again, its not real life.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

purple gi gohan was best, also goku and vegeta should have kept their whis outfits since they've been training under him and they look nice

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

So, in playing Dragonball FighterZ, I noticed that Recoome’s sweet Austrian Arnold-inspired voice is gone and instead he just has a looney tunes retard voice

I never went back and watched the redubs or Kai, but did they really change his voice up like that? It sounds so foreign and wrong

E: ^^ Goku’s Whis outfit looks loving stupid

Vegetal should have kept his since Bulma made it special though.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Sockser posted:

So, in playing Dragonball FighterZ, I noticed that Recoome’s sweet Austrian Arnold-inspired voice is gone and instead he just has a looney tunes retard voice

I never went back and watched the redubs or Kai, but did they really change his voice up like that? It sounds so foreign and wrong

Recoome never had an Austrian Arnold voice.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sockser posted:

He's always sounded like that.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

sharrrk posted:

purple gi gohan was best, also goku and vegeta should have kept their whis outfits since they've been training under him and they look nice

They should've kept them but mostly because Goku and Vegeta's outfit changes show their character development and going back on that wastes a great concept. Then again, that's not the fault of Super, since Yo! Son Goku and his Friends are Back hosed that one up first.

Also Vegeta as Super Saiyan Blue with the blue undersuit is too much blue and it's a bit overwhelming. His new form recolours it a darker blue and it works much better though.

Fun fact: the current Heroes saga has the "Xeno" and Super-ish versions of Goku and Vegeta meet (and Super!Trunks and Mai appearing). They use customized versions of the Whis outfits: both of them replace Whis' symbol with the Capsule Corp. one (it genuinely surprises me that Bulma never put her own trademark on Vegeta's armours before) and Goku also still wears his blue undershirt.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Zedd posted:

I think he looked rad at that point in the story and it makes total sense he is jacked, I just don't think a body that age can even get that jacked. :v:
Then again, its not real life.

I've seen pictures on the internet of roided up kids who are stupidly ripped so while gohan is obviously over emphasised, it's possible for kids to be jacked. Pretty much child cruelty and inhumane, but possible.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Pretty much child cruelty and inhumane, but possible.

So pretty much gohans canonical upbringing ?

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
I'm glad the Great Saiyaman carries on the green and white of Gohan's #1 hero Mr. Piccolo.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Gohan is basically a child soldier if you think about it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Gohan is also half Saiyan, I'd be surprised if they don't get jacked by that age.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sockser posted:

You might be confusing the official dub with DBZA or the ocean dub, who both gave Recoome a not terrible voice

e: Ocean Dub (:lol: that Goku is SO BAD)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2dH-VD0aQw

DBZA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_M0wOpRRP4

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 7, 2018

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
For Frieza, I like to think that he’s been quietly breaking his limits off-camera the last few episodes. Getting his rear end kicked has actually been pretty similar to what happened before Goku & Vegeta broke their limits:

- Being hakai’d was like Goku spirit bombing himself.
- Being beaten up and head kicked unconscious was like Kefla ko’ing Goku with a headkick.
- Being within Jiren’s blast radius with 17 was somewhat similar to Vegeta being blasted before breaking his limit.

Obviously, the writers have added those scenes of Frieza commenting on UI for a reason. They want to crush our hopes and make us all sad.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
...can't it just be Freeza being a cocky-rear end motherfucker that thinks he has everything under control until he gets completely wrecked? Also I can't think of anything dumber than Space Hitler getting a shonen powerup moment during the heat of battle.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if he was gonna get a powerup from those rear end kickings, you'd think he'd have done it before like the third one

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

IcePhoenix posted:

You might be confusing the official dub with DBZA or the ocean dub, who both gave Recoome a not terrible voice

e: Ocean Dub (:lol: that Goku is SO BAD)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2dH-VD0aQw

DBZA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_M0wOpRRP4

Yeah I was definitely referencing the Ocean dub but I remember him being a bit more German-Swiss-Austrian sounding, maybe just from when his voice really bottoms out or something and associating that was Schwarzenegger

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
There were definitely some moments where he sounds like a Patrick Warburton impression.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
When I think Recoome I think
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkUMf55MfjA

Mostly because he said it every time you hit him hard enough in BT3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

HGH posted:

When I think Recoome I think
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkUMf55MfjA

Mostly because he said it every time you hit him hard enough in BT3.

HOW RUDE