Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I think I like the Ogre better and it's the only announced general release of a GN-X IV derivative. Possibly it will allow you to make a base version or you might need parts from an earlier model. The GBF colours version of the regular one is out in March on P-BANDAI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Advanced is, the Ogre isn't

The cute blue one is. Of course it is. :negative:

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

asterioth posted:

I'm thinking of getting into airbrushing, how's this for a starter compressor and brush?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010TQCOEE/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I281S8425JGTGT&colid=3GTEFB3Z6IQT0&psc=0

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Performance-Airbrushing-Dual-Action-Airbrush/dp/B0017640RK/

This is the one I always recommend, you get a good compressor with all the addons and a decent starter airbrush. You can use the compressor going forward if you want to upgrade to a better airbrush.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Any new 00 releases that aren't the GN Flag are irrelevant.

You're better off without it, the Flag kits are very floppy. There isn't a single polycap in them.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think I like the Ogre better and it's the only announced general release of a GN-X IV derivative. Possibly it will allow you to make a base version or you might need parts from an earlier model. The GBF colours version of the regular one is out in March on P-BANDAI.

The Striker GN-X can be stripped down to a GN-X IV. The extra parts are optionally mounted on top of it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
the striker gn-x owns because it's a thiccbot

if your bot don't got some chuuunk i don't want to see it get it away from me

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Heavy robots are the best robots. Gusion, The-O, the Hy-Gogg, drat. Thicc.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
gently caress yeah they are

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

That Gobbo posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Performance-Airbrushing-Dual-Action-Airbrush/dp/B0017640RK/

This is the one I always recommend, you get a good compressor with all the addons and a decent starter airbrush. You can use the compressor going forward if you want to upgrade to a better airbrush.

Do you use a painting booth? I see some super nice ones on Amazon but lots of video tutorials feature some dude with a cardboard box

Improbable Lobster posted:

Heavy robots are the best robots. Gusion, The-O, the Hy-Gogg, drat. Thicc.

My man

Related: lol at Man Rodi being a kit, but infinitely better Landman was P-Bandai

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

Marx Headroom posted:

Do you use a painting booth? I see some super nice ones on Amazon but lots of video tutorials feature some dude with a cardboard box

Today I got a Master Airbrush spray booth, it packs up pretty small and comes with LEDs and exhaust port acessories. Should be great once it gets warmer. I originally built a DIY spray booth out of cardboard and a bathroom ceiling fan about a year and a half ago, it worked fine. You can go either way depending on your budget.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

https://twitter.com/ikkyu019/status/960842040702455808

there are more downthread.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

That Gobbo posted:

This is pretty much the exact same one I got and it's really great for the price.

Hasn't missed a beat and gives a good constant spray at pretty much every psi. Held up really well when cleaning it and I crank up the pressure to run brush cleaner through.

Actual airbrush is pretty good too for what it is.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

My booth is a cardboard box and a fan and some ducting and it works fine

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Thirding the master airbrush being a fantastic beginner brush. Cheap as hell, compressor's nice, and its build is dead-simple so its easy to get used to deep-cleaning disassembly. It's a tube you move a needle in and out of while pressing a button to open and close air going into the tube.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Striker GN-X can be stripped down to a GN-X IV. The extra parts are optionally mounted on top of it.

The Striker is actually based on the Advanced (see the head fin and the thigh thrusters) and I think you'd need a GN-X kit for some of the fins. Also won't have the P-Bandai kit weapon, but I like the long rifle and lance better anyway.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

That Gobbo posted:

Mine just came in a few days ago. I'm still waiting on paint but it's pretty good at spraying out airbrush cleaner! Not as loud as I expected either.

I'm still kind of going back and forth on an actual booth - I figure since Vallejo is water based acrylics I can probably just get away with a cardboard box and a mask. Maybe I'll end up regretting it when my walls change color.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Archangel parts really feel like an afterthought

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

See also: Every other mecha musume/ship girl/18-wheeler waifu

Seems about par for the course, to me. I guess its just a lot harder to integrate design elements from a non-humanoid form.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeesh I knew the color separation wasn't going to be good for the archangel, but jesus.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Any recommendations for good panel lining pens? The regular gundam panel liner ones have a tip that's a little too thick for me and I just make a huge mess that's rough to clean up.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I like Sakura Pigma Microns.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

That Gobbo posted:

Any recommendations for good panel lining pens? The regular gundam panel liner ones have a tip that's a little too thick for me and I just make a huge mess that's rough to clean up.

also worth noting that the Gundam panel liners come in varying widths, so you might just need a "fine" one, but if you need finer Micron is very good, agree with previous poster

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
The Tamiya panel lining wash is pretty easy to use tbh as well so you can just do that.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Careful with that stuff, though, it's an enamel wash and will do real gnarly things to ABS if there's not a sufficient layer of protective paint in the way.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

stabbington posted:

Careful with that stuff, though, it's an enamel wash and will do real gnarly things to ABS if there's not a sufficient layer of protective paint in the way.

Yes, you should check if your kit uses ABS at all, it's stamped on the sprue and also listed in the instructions. But most modern kits are completely PS now.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Booyah- posted:

Yes, you should check if your kit uses ABS at all, it's stamped on the sprue and also listed in the instructions. But most modern kits are completely PS now.

RGs usually have at least 1 ABS runner though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Source.

This feels wrong.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
uguu~

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

StrixNebulosa posted:

Source.

This feels wrong.

I kinda dig the flipped Zaku and Gouf heads.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

That's Vixen's head, you can't fool me, fanart.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its like they have cool guy pompadours

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its like they have cool guy pompadours

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

asterioth posted:

I'm thinking of getting into airbrushing, how's this for a starter compressor and brush?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010TQCOEE/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I281S8425JGTGT&colid=3GTEFB3Z6IQT0&psc=0

I believe I had that exact set gifted to me. The compressor is solid and I still use it. The airbrushes are functional but nothing great and I upgraded to a better brush after learning the basics with that set. Give it a whirl.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Working my way through the Nu Gundam Ver Ka. Current count is 2 skipped waterslides (they're tiny and in a really awkward spot, so gently caress 'em), 4 unintentionally skipped waterslides (missed them on the sheet, realized it right at the end of yesterday's build), and 3 ruined ones. Also bent the right little tiny fin thing on the top of the chest, but I've bent it back since these pictures.

Really digging how this is coming out.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 371 days!

asterioth posted:

thanks for the feedback on this, goons. I caved and bought one. You can run glosscote/flatcote through this, right? I don't plan on painting much with it but I do want to lock in all my weathering/shading/panel lines

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

tenderjerk posted:

thanks for the feedback on this, goons. I caved and bought one. You can run glosscote/flatcote through this, right? I don't plan on painting much with it but I do want to lock in all my weathering/shading/panel lines

Yep. I recommend future for gloss/semigloss, and Testors Dullcote for flat. You might want to pick up some rustoleum lacquer thinner and mix a very small amount into the dullcote, as it tends to be pretty thick.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Just got my paint in from thewarstore - about a week from the day I placed the order. Could have been better, could have been worse. One of the paints was backordered since I didn't notice the different "Usually ships next day" and "Usually ships between 1-3 days" text.

http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/model-air-user%E2%80%99s-guide/blog/1/39

I just looked at this (it's for model air so I figure Mecha color is similar) to remember what the recommended ratio of thinner:paint was since it seems like people who don't thin this stuff tend to have issues with it, and I'm noticing that they have you mix the gloss varnish into the actual paint. Is this sufficient for a gloss coat for subsequent panel lining, or should I trust my gut and use the gloss varnish separately afterwards? Or is the Mecha air gloss varnish just useless for topcoating/subsequent panel lining?

EDIT

Also, the marketing copy of the Mecha line says primer isn't necessary:

"Mecha Colors has exceptional performance on all materials. The adhesion of the colors on resin, plastic, steel and white metal is extraordinary. Moreover the surfaces do not require previous priming. Only in the case of a very dark base may it be useful to first apply a primer in order to increase the brightness of the final colors."

I got some grey primer already before reading that, but how likely is that to be true and how likely is it that it's marketing bullshit?

garfield hentai fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 12, 2018

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

garfield hentai posted:

Just got my paint in from thewarstore - about a week from the day I placed the order. Could have been better, could have been worse. One of the paints was backordered since I didn't notice the different "Usually ships next day" and "Usually ships between 1-3 days" text.

http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/model-air-user%E2%80%99s-guide/blog/1/39

I just looked at this (it's for model air so I figure Mecha color is similar) to remember what the recommended ratio of thinner:paint was since it seems like people who don't thin this stuff tend to have issues with it, and I'm noticing that they have you mix the gloss varnish into the actual paint. Is this sufficient for a gloss coat for subsequent panel lining, or should I trust my gut and use the gloss varnish separately afterwards? Or is the Mecha air gloss varnish just useless for topcoating/subsequent panel lining?

EDIT

Also, the marketing copy of the Mecha line says primer isn't necessary:

"Mecha Colors has exceptional performance on all materials. The adhesion of the colors on resin, plastic, steel and white metal is extraordinary. Moreover the surfaces do not require previous priming. Only in the case of a very dark base may it be useful to first apply a primer in order to increase the brightness of the final colors."

I got some grey primer already before reading that, but how likely is that to be true and how likely is it that it's marketing bullshit?

Model air can be run without thinning. It's designed to be used that way, I add a couple of drops of the vallejo thinned though.

The varnish part is basically to make the paint a little harder, but mainly to give the paint the finish you want if your not going to topcoat. (you can use gloss or flat etc).

Personally I'd be using a different compound of gloss coat after painting such as a lacquer to ensure that when you panel line you don't eat into the underlying paint and you can easily fix mistakes.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
So does that mean I can't just use it on its own as a topcoat? I know the lacquer topcoat is the recommended thing but my goal is to be able to do all this indoors without much ventilation without stinking the place up (which is the entire reason I ended up going with the Vallejo paints).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
If you're using Vallejo I would recommend using Pledge Future as a protective clearcoat. You can then use an enamel panel wash (Tamiya has a prethinned with applicator).