Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ichiro is Ichiro Suzuki, professional baseball player. Started playing in the Japanese league (Nippon Professional Baseball), then decided to come to the US and play in Major League Baseball (MLB). Really, really consistent hitter, has the most career hits of any player if you combine NPB and MLB, and has 3000 hits alone in MLB.

tl;dr he's a legend in both the US and Japan for his skill.

The Bat Pose is the "ritual" he does before every pitch he sees as a batter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ichiro Suzuki is a baseball player who was one of the first Japanese players to make it huge in both Japan and then in the US. He made my stupid Mariners fun to watch even though they otherwise totally sucked.

I'm not actually sure who he's playing for now....is he still playing?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

He's a free agent now :smith:

He's up there through, so he's probably got one or two seasons left in him if that. By far one of the greatest leadoff hitters when your criteria is simply "get on base".

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

baseball is the dullest sport known to man

RME
Feb 20, 2012

tsob posted:

I have no idea who Ichiro is, what the Ichiro Bat pose is or what the MLB Hall of Fame is; though I assume it's probably a joke, and still want to know what MLB stands for.

Ah, this must be what people mean that anime is full of impenetrable archetypes

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cake Attack posted:

Not when golf exists.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Cake Attack posted:

:agreed:

And I say this as someone who watches and enjoys Snooker.

e: ^^ Even Golf is still, somehow, more interesting.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
golf is not interesting, you are deluded

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Expect My Mom posted:

golf is not interesting, you are deluded

No, no it isn't.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Cross Game was good, so how can baseball be bad

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

RME posted:

Ah, this must be what people mean that anime is full of impenetrable archetypes

Or when they mean they neither know or care about a sport exclusively played on the other side of the planet. And no, the mention of a bat didn't clue me in because I don't associate the word bat with baseball as a matter of course.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Which fate anime has the cutest boys and girls. Asking for a friend

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Areas where baseball is popular: North America, Latin America, Central America, Japan and Korea.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

VostokProgram posted:

carnival phantasm has them all

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

tsob posted:

Or when they mean they neither know or care about a sport exclusively played on the other side of the planet. And no, the mention of a bat didn't clue me in because I don't associate the word bat with baseball as a matter of course.

Just keep digging, you'll get out eventually!

Ed: Fate / Stay Night: UBW has some pretty cute characters. Rin is best girl and Archer is extremely handsome.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 9, 2018

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Poster 1: hey check out this cool homage to a Japanese person by this Japanese anime character!

Poster 2: uhm please stop disrespecting my worldview and culture, I'm entitled to my existence too!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm not sure how "I don't know much about, ever think about or remotely care about thing" isn't a reason to not put together clues about thing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, at least golf has more interesting and varied geography than baseball.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, at least golf has more interesting and varied geography than baseball.

I've heard baseball is quite relaxing to listen to on the radio in English, and George Carlin spoke about how exciting it was to listen to in Spanish because the commentators got so passionate. On the other hand, golf has mini golf and pitch and putt, both of which can be quite fun with the right crowd.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Golf exists so that old rich white men can have a sport to play too.

Minigolf is cool though.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Mini golf isn't golf, because it owns.

Baseball is fun to play, more than it is to watch, but baseball still ends itself to cool, tense moments as a viewer

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Remember when Randy Johnson just loving destroyed a bird with a ninety mile per hour fastball?

golf sucks

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Expect My Mom posted:

Mini golf isn't golf, because it owns.

Baseball is fun to play, more than it is to watch, but baseball still ends itself to cool, tense moments as a viewer

:yeah:

Frisbee golf is really fun, too, and one of the few sports I can participate in (I have a lot of health problems)

Ed: I watch that Randy Johnson video way too often.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Baseball is win

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Both are boring as hell, but neither can be the most boring sport when baseball's even more boring counterpart, cricket, exists. AKA, the sport so dull it can't even get into the Olympics despite stuff like curling getting in (incidentally, snooker is up for consideration to be included in the next one).

And MHX, despite her delusions, is not actually a Saber and thus doesn't count. :colbert: And yes, she's literally just an alternate universe Artoria wearing a hat and sports jacket to conceal her identity (it doesn't work. It really, really doesn't work). Her NP is completely ingeniously named Secret Calibur.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

apocrypha has mordred (cute boy), atalante (cute girl,) and astolfo (cute,)

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

iospace posted:

Areas where baseball is popular: North America, Latin America, Central America, Japan and Korea.

Where in latin america is baseball popular? :confused:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

Mordreds a girl though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kyte posted:

Where in latin america is baseball popular? :confused:

I know it's popular in the Caribbean as well as Venezuela, not even getting into Mexico.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Expect My Mom posted:

Remember when Randy Johnson just loving destroyed a bird with a ninety mile per hour fastball?

golf sucks
I like how in retirement he started a photography company with a bird as its logo.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

Mordreds a girl though.

Mordred is what Mordred wants to be at that particular moment.

Also gold is to be hated as a symbol of the rich and wasteful.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Nate RFB posted:

I like how in retirement he started a photography company with a bird as its logo.
savage

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Expect My Mom posted:

if only he could kill twitter next

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hunt11 posted:

Mordreds a girl though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

I thought Mordred hated being called a boy in addition to hating being called a girl?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

I thought Mordred hated being called a boy in addition to hating being called a girl?
mordred's a very complicated character

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

iospace posted:

Not when golf exists.

Golf makes good videogames though

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Trump likes golf, therefore golf sucks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fangz posted:

Trump likes golf, therefore golf sucks
very woke of you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

Mordreds a girl though.

Mordred is my boyfriend

Darth Walrus posted:

Mordred is my.... Friend (romantically)

• Locked thread