Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Dave Meltzer posted:

Kazushi Sakuraba and Josh Barnett have announced a new promotion that will debut on 4/11 called Quintet, and they've booked Sumo Hall in Tokyo for the first show. It will be a team competition with five member teams, with survival rules. It will be singles matches and the winner advances to the next match against a new member of the other team. The matches are ten minutes and matches can only end via submission. The first show will air live on AmebaTV.

I think Billy Robinson was working on something like this before he passed away. I wonder if this is related to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Back a few years ago I caught a heel hook and the guy suddenly started violently spinning like a washing machine (the wrong, break your knee direction). I released his foot very quickly and we had a good chat on why panic spinning is not the right answer to any question.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Morning Bell posted:

Does anyone know much about the BJJ gyms in Wellington, New Zealand? There are only three and I've heard mixed things about one of them. I'm moving there soon and I'll trial them all out but any extra info would be grand. Also please share tips about not being That Guy in a new gym/country (I am a fresh blue and expect to have a big target on my back).

Did you ever investigate any of those gyms? I'm in Wellington for a couple of days.

edit: choices seem to be
Combat Room
Martial Arts at the Dub
Submission Martial Arts (at Porirua, a little bit out of town)
MAI Dojo

Three have at least one black belt. Combat Room looks like Brazilians who take themselves seriously and expect you to bow and stuff. The Dub place looks a bit more chill. I can't get a read on the submission place. Can't tell if MAI has a black belt. None of them have good websites.

In a bizarre twist, Wellington Judo have a decent website. Judo websites have a long and storied tradition of looking like poo poo. I would check them out, too.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 6, 2018

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Popped a rib in class today (my own)...Top 10 worst pains I've felt in my life.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
How did you manage to do that? I popped my own rib years ago by going HAM on a clock choke while resting my ribs against my opponent's shoulder. Taught me to get my hips in front of the shoulder and not my ribs.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Inverted to defend a guard pass, landed just right as my partner was coming forward. Felt 3 awesome pops then had to not hyperventilate from the pain.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That's pretty much how I did mine the second time. I was attempting a waiter sweep and my opponent dropped all of his weight onto my hips.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

How long were you out for?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JaySB posted:

How long were you out for?

Hmm....

I think two weeks out, and then another four of only light contact and selective rolling partners.

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Illegal Hen

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Did you ever investigate any of those gyms? I'm in Wellington for a couple of days.

edit: choices seem to be
Combat Room
Martial Arts at the Dub
Submission Martial Arts (at Porirua, a little bit out of town)
MAI Dojo

Three have at least one black belt. Combat Room looks like Brazilians who take themselves seriously and expect you to bow and stuff. The Dub place looks a bit more chill. I can't get a read on the submission place. Can't tell if MAI has a black belt. None of them have good websites.

In a bizarre twist, Wellington Judo have a decent website. Judo websites have a long and storied tradition of looking like poo poo. I would check them out, too.

Isn't "the worse the website, the better the gym" the usual combat sport rule of thumb? Maybe that's reversed when you're as far as NZ. I'll take a peek.

Haven't checked them out yet, I'm moving over in a few days. I did gather some info, though, from a few folks who'd been there.

MAI has a Gracie black belt though looks like it's not a Gracie gym. Very minimal web presence, basically a facebook, no site or google maps presence. I met someone who used to train there, and they warmly recommended it.
Combat Room, I've been told, is pretty old-school strict but good jiu jitsu.
Martial Arts at the Dub is also called GSW. I've heard... mixed things about, both pluses and minuses. It's a big Will / Machado affiliate and gets good names for seminars.

I don't know anything about the places further out. If you end up visiting a place, please do let us know what it was like.

Morning Bell fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 7, 2018

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I missed my chance because of the public holiday, unfortunately. This is a gorgeous city, though. I need to find some excuse to move here.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Hey, look what came :yayclod:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

spb posted:

Do you guys do anything for your joints? Been drinking fish oil and collagen shakes. Thinking of meeting with a joint doctor because of gi rolling.

starkebn posted:

I've just started taking tumeric / black pepper and ibuprofen. Will try and report back in a few weeks whether it changes anything.

Don't think I'll be buying more Tumeric, seems to do very little to nothing. The joint pain in my elbows has gone away, but I think that's just due to time more than anything. My fingers are still feeling pain in continuously inventive ways, it seems to change every few days.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Oh hey pain talk. For some reason, my right shoulder doesn't want me to base with it during class or use it to frame, and it feels like it's on fire after class ends, but I can do various presses with it in the weight room no problem :iiam:

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 9, 2018

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Maybe a pinched nerve somewhere?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I'm really glad I've joined the nogi darkside. I do drilling in gi still and everyone once in awhile spar but that's about it. The main reason I'm glas is because of what people above me are complaining about- joint pain. I honestly don't know how people physically withstand training and rolling gi multiple time a week. My fingers will get a little hosed up from drilling at times.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I'm also quite fond of nogi. the fact you kinda get used to rolling without grabbing fabric is great. I like doing GI but gear a lot of the stuff I do around only grabbing if it really helps techniques I could do in nogi. dunno if I make any sense. I hope I do.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

For me the biggest difference between gi and no gi is that in gi I can't snake my skinny arms around peoples' necks with impunity. Stupid cuffs get all stuck and ruffled.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

There's a pretty decent Fight 2 Win card this Saturday featuring Kit Dale vs Jake Shields and Travis Magalit vs Marvin Castelle. Not to mention next week is Polaris 6 with Jake Shields vs Craig Jones and Benson Henderson vs AJ Agazarm immediately followed by EBI 15 (perhaps we'll see Geo Martinez vs Eddie Cummings once again). Pretty exciting month for grappling fans.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Travis is one of my coaches and I'm SUPER excited for this.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

omg chael crash posted:

Travis is one of my coaches and I'm SUPER excited for this.

I love Travis. He showed me some drills that upgraded my back retention 100x. He's got a super awesome style and most don't know he received his brown belt from 10P San Francisco's Denny Prokopos so this is kinda 10 on 10 crime.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

He's turning a bunch of people at my school into real killers. No class is my crowded at either of our SF schools than when he teaches nogi.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

If you guys ever come to SF, come train at Bay Jiu-Jitsu. I know you're going to want to hang out with Kurt over at Ralph's but give Bay a shot too. Between Travis, Reily Bodycomb, and Stephan Goyne it would be hard to find a more eclectic approach to hug sports anywhere else in the country.

omg chael crash fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 9, 2018

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

omg chael crash posted:

If you guys ever come to SF

See, this is where you lost me.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

heeebrew posted:

Jake Shields

heeebrew posted:

Jake Shields

heeebrew posted:

Pretty exciting

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

omg chael crash posted:

If you guys ever come to SF, come train at Bay Jiu-Jitsu. I know you're going to want to hang out with Kurt over at Ralph's but give Bay a shot too. Between Travis, Reily Bodycomb, and Stephan Goyne it would be hard to find a more eclectic approach to hug sports anywhere else in the country.

You train at Bay Jiu Jitsu? drat. I don't ever plan on going to SF but if I did, that'd be where i'd visit.

How is class usally structured there? Do Stephan and Reilly have different class structure? I only did Reilly's camps so I don't really have an idea.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

We have three locations -- 2 in SF and 1 in Berkley. Stephan teaches at the SF Japantown location and sometimes Berkley, Travis is mostly at the Mission location and sometimes Japantown, and Reilly is mostly in Berkeley but sometimes teaches in Japantown.

It's a bit wacky, to be honest, and if you're ever in town it's a good idea to look at the schedule via the website or the Mindbody app and search for the coach that you want.

I also sometimes help coach wrestling and fundamentals but I'll let you figure out who I am if you ever stop by.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

omg chael crash posted:

We have three locations -- 2 in SF and 1 in Berkley. Stephan teaches at the SF Japantown location and sometimes Berkley, Travis is mostly at the Mission location and sometimes Japantown, and Reilly is mostly in Berkeley but sometimes teaches in Japantown.

It's a bit wacky, to be honest, and if you're ever in town it's a good idea to look at the schedule via the website or the Mindbody app and search for the coach that you want.

I also sometimes help coach wrestling and fundamentals but I'll let you figure out who I am if you ever stop by.

Awesome, I'll let you stay anonymous online and thanks for the info. :)

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

heeebrew posted:

There's a pretty decent Fight 2 Win card this Saturday featuring Kit Dale vs Jake Shields and Travis Magalit vs Marvin Castelle. Not to mention next week is Polaris 6 with Jake Shields vs Craig Jones and Benson Henderson vs AJ Agazarm immediately followed by EBI 15 (perhaps we'll see Geo Martinez vs Eddie Cummings once again). Pretty exciting month for grappling fans.

Neat. Henderson vs Agazarm is odd though. We already saw that at FTW not long ago. It was neither unusually exciting nor controversial from what I can remember. Surely there are some new super fight matchups to be had with those guys.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Anyone have tips for practicing offensive handfighting from front headlock and/or back control? I watch some videos or read a book and buddy is like "just start in seat belt push buddy's hand this way and that way and kakow you have an RNC" and then in practice people grab my wrist and my arm gets stuck.

But then I watch Firas Zahabi rolling against a purple belt who is 70 lb bigger than him and he gets the RNC so smoothly that it's as if the guy wasn't even trying to defend. So obviously there's some kind of knowledge there. The problem I'm having is that the reps and practice I'm getting feel completely ineffective.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Anyone have tips for practicing offensive handfighting from front headlock and/or back control? I watch some videos or read a book and buddy is like "just start in seat belt push buddy's hand this way and that way and kakow you have an RNC" and then in practice people grab my wrist and my arm gets stuck.

But then I watch Firas Zahabi rolling against a purple belt who is 70 lb bigger than him and he gets the RNC so smoothly that it's as if the guy wasn't even trying to defend. So obviously there's some kind of knowledge there. The problem I'm having is that the reps and practice I'm getting feel completely ineffective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXgzv2Wy9OM&t=3s

There's some good details here.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I like doing armbar from seatbelt myself

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

CommonShore posted:

I'm a newbie but I just finished a seminar and a couple privates where we extensively covered a back attack system so maybe I've got some stuff that will be pertinent. I'll describe for choking with left arm and seatbelt with right.

First thing he covered was tightening your seatbelt so his elbow is flared up. Sort of a rowing motion to bring his arms up more, this will limit his strength in fighting you. You'll face 2 on 1 against your choking arm against someone defending your RNC so the first hand you want to get rid of is his right hand. The key for this for me was rotating your right wrist up and over his right hand, grabbing him by the "meat" of his hand (the area between the base pinkie knuckle and wrist). You gain alot of leverage against him with this grip and should be able to straighten your right arm and get that hand out of the way.

From here you either can finish the choke, as his left arm is usually higher up your arm and he doesnt have the leverage to fight it off, or you have to isolate that left arm. Easiest way to do that was to let him "win" the battle and straighten your choking arm too, this will give you the angle you need to get your left foot up over his left arm and tuck the top of your foot in the base of his back. This will leave him totally open with no where to go but slide downwards in your hooks. If he tries to escape like this just switch to a kimura grip on his right arm and triangle him.

I'm not sure if this makes alot of sense typed out but it's what we covered starting in seatbelt in particular. He showed us alot of fancy stuff to cover when someone rolls either way on you as well but this was the poo poo that me, as a newbie took the most out of really.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

flashman posted:

I'm a newbie but I just finished a seminar and a couple privates where we extensively covered a back attack system so maybe I've got some stuff that will be pertinent. I'll describe for choking with left arm and seatbelt with right.

First thing he covered was tightening your seatbelt so his elbow is flared up. Sort of a rowing motion to bring his arms up more, this will limit his strength in fighting you. You'll face 2 on 1 against your choking arm against someone defending your RNC so the first hand you want to get rid of is his right hand. The key for this for me was rotating your right wrist up and over his right hand, grabbing him by the "meat" of his hand (the area between the base pinkie knuckle and wrist). You gain alot of leverage against him with this grip and should be able to straighten your right arm and get that hand out of the way.

From here you either can finish the choke, as his left arm is usually higher up your arm and he doesnt have the leverage to fight it off, or you have to isolate that left arm. Easiest way to do that was to let him "win" the battle and straighten your choking arm too, this will give you the angle you need to get your left foot up over his left arm and tuck the top of your foot in the base of his back. This will leave him totally open with no where to go but slide downwards in your hooks. If he tries to escape like this just switch to a kimura grip on his right arm and triangle him.

I'm not sure if this makes alot of sense typed out but it's what we covered starting in seatbelt in particular. He showed us alot of fancy stuff to cover when someone rolls either way on you as well but this was the poo poo that me, as a newbie took the most out of really.

No I get it. Food for thought.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

spb posted:

I like doing armbar from seatbelt myself

Me too, but on introspection I've realized that the preference is because I suck at handfighting.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

CommonShore posted:

I think the idea from back control is to have one well-rehearsed handfighting sequence for each side (choking arm up and choking arm down) though obviously there’ll be improvisation. Choking arm down, I try to trap an arm behind his back using my leg. Choking arm up, I fight for the straitjacket grip and then use a finishing sequence from a Craig Jones seminar. I can give you more detail if you want but I’m pretty bad.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

At my first Brazilian jiu jitsu competition today! The ibjjf open in Houston. Only started 3 months ago, so we'll see how well my match goes in a little bit!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

L0cke17 posted:

At my first Brazilian jiu jitsu competition today! The ibjjf open in Houston. Only started 3 months ago, so we'll see how well my match goes in a little bit!

1) Focus on attacking and using your favourite moves.
2) Don't worry about putting too much conscious effort into defense. In other words, trust your defense and focus on your offense.
3) Relax and don't forget to breathe.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

L0cke17 posted:

I have quite a few friends there, good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

If you can, take the first minute of the match to feel your opponent out, see where they're strong, if they like to shoot, want to pull guard, etc.