Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The Shortest Path posted:

"Victoria was a serial abuser" isn't the worst Worm-related hot take I've ever seen, but it's up there.

What's the worst? Director Tagg Did Nothing Wrong? Because I've definitely seen that one a few times. "Victoria was a serial abuser" is definitely pretty bad, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Various forms of "Cauldron/Eidolon/Tagg/Piggot/Skitter/Trickster did nothing wrong" are all fairly common, though Bonesaw is probably the worst of those.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

"Victoria should get over her issues with Amy, its been like 2 years" is one that I can't wrap my head around, but I've seen it more than once.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Do you think Amy is over her issues with Victoria?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

NecroMonster posted:

who knows we havent spent any appreciable amount of time in her head yet

like thats the real answer, maybe she's worked on her poo poo and maybe she hasn't, we dont have enough info about what shes doing or been doing that we cant really make that call

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

No. Have you read the Dot interlude?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The Dot interlude was fuckin adorable, and the best part is that Amy made a friend :3:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

eidolon just wanted to be a good hero :smith:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
yeah what did he do really wrong? he was involved in the cauldron conspiracy but i can't remember any specifics about what his involvement was. the endbringer thing was clearly unintentional.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Neurosis posted:

yeah what did he do really wrong? he was involved in the cauldron conspiracy but i can't remember any specifics about what his involvement was. the endbringer thing was clearly unintentional.

He criminally underused his absurd power.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Neurosis posted:

IMO as part of the inner circle, it doesn't much matter how involved with certain elements he was - he as good as allowed Cauldron's human experiments. There's some element of path dependence in that Scion came so close to destroying everything that you can't discount them from having contributed, but in the end Scion destroyed them before he was destroyed, and they weren't the decisive element in taking him down. Who knows if a less inhumane approach would have had the same payoff, but their methods were always evil, and only possibly justified by whether it was a necessary evil, which is a subjective and self-serving rationalization at best.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

He wasn't just involved in cauldron, he was in the main like.. 6 or so of them that ran everything (doctor, contessa, alexandria, eidolan, number man, doormaker+clairvoyent guy). There is plenty to argue about if they were right or wrong or made things better or worse, but he was definitely involved and/or had knowledge of all the bad poo poo cauldron did.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

If Cauldron hadn't existed then Taylor would never have seen Eden and been unable to kill Zion, ultimately. So their actions were essential, and as such Contessa's power guided them as such toward their desired end state of seeing Zion dead, it just happened in a very different way than they expected. Whether or not that's evil is up to interpretation, I guess.

As to Eidolon specifically, I think he was more concerned with his own power than the intangible goal of saving humanity, and he made a few selfish, bad decisions such as during the Echidna fight.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
But what did Trickster do wrong?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

If Cauldron hadn't existed then Taylor would never have seen Eden and been unable to kill Zion, ultimately. So their actions were essential, and as such Contessa's power guided them as such toward their desired end state of seeing Zion dead, it just happened in a very different way than they expected. Whether or not that's evil is up to interpretation, I guess.

As to Eidolon specifically, I think he was more concerned with his own power than the intangible goal of saving humanity, and he made a few selfish, bad decisions such as during the Echidna fight.

Again, path dependence. Hard to say that Cauldron doing anything else would have worked, but it's only completely justified if the only possible way to kill Scion was to play the events out as they did, or worse, which can't be definitively established one way or another. The final scene with Contessa is kind of telling in that a) even in victory, Taylor would have done it differently, given the choice (kind-of-sort-of connected to Cauldron's own shedding of morals and ethics in service to the mission) and b) Cauldron's approach to the problem was never oriented in the right direction to start with, even if it accidentally pushed others towards the right solution.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

sunken fleet posted:

He massively prolonged the Echidna fight and likely directly killed at least a few people in the process.

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Again, path dependence. Hard to say that Cauldron doing anything else would have worked, but it's only completely justified if the only possible way to kill Scion was to play the events out as they did, or worse, which can't be definitively established one way or another. The final scene with Contessa is kind of telling in that a) even in victory, Taylor would have done it differently, given the choice (kind-of-sort-of connected to Cauldron's own shedding of morals and ethics in service to the mission) and b) Cauldron's approach to the problem was never oriented in the right direction to start with, even if it accidentally pushed others towards the right solution.

They did what Contessa's power said would lead to eventually defeating Zion. That makes it justified, but it does not necessarily make it right or moral.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 11, 2018

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I think if you're getting into 'this thing will destroy literally every single Earth' level scenarios, any sort of moral hand-wringing about ends and means becomes utterly bizarre.

It gets weirder when you involve half a dozen precogs with the most prominent of them maybe even saying that it was the only course of action that would defeat Scion (or maybe not, who knows).

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Honestly with the amount of causality interference and general precog fuckery in Worm, literally all actions taken can be justified with "the ends justify the means" reasoning.

It's a pain in the rear end to think about, so I try to avoid doing so. :v:

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

This is all ignoring that "how do we kill this guy" may have been the wrong loving question in the first place.

Taylor ultimately has to bully a person who is hurting, and hurting badly, to death because of the choices others made a long time ago.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

NecroMonster posted:

This is all ignoring that "how do we kill this guy" may have been the wrong loving question in the first place.

Taylor ultimately has to bully a person who is hurting, and hurting badly, to death because of the choices others made a long time ago.

It's almost like worm as a work is a book about hosed up people making bad decisions to do not good things and justifying them to themselves and the people around them and the central question it poses is "how bullshit ate these justifications" and there's no one right answer

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

NecroMonster posted:

I'm not really sure what other question you think could have been asked. Zion and Eden were interdimensional entities that had consumed countless worlds and races and planned to do so again. Killing them was the only means to prevent humanity's destruction, either due to Zion rampaging and killing everyone or the shards completing their harvest and killing everyone.

Taylor having to effectively bully Zion to death is an ironic end to her story which was so driven by the bullying she was the victim of, but was unquestionably the correct and only thing to do. Mind controlling and sacrificing countless hundreds of other capes was the morally ambiguous part of her choice, not that.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Like sure maybe they set the whole thing in motion by making the decision to kill Scion, or maybe they didn't, maybe that was something the simurgh did, maybe the shards' innate drive to conflict would have eventually pushed him over the edge and it was just a matter of time and jack was just the catalyst that came up first, who fuckin knows, it's also a book that's full of causality tricks to the point where I've seen some elaborate rear end "simurgh did it" threads that I couldn't actually construct an argument against with the text because gently caress maybe simurgh did create mannequin for Reasons

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
In conclusion worm is a study in contrasts

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Like sure maybe they set the whole thing in motion by making the decision to kill Scion, or maybe they didn't, maybe that was something the simurgh did, maybe the shards' innate drive to conflict would have eventually pushed him over the edge and it was just a matter of time and jack was just the catalyst that came up first, who fuckin knows, it's also a book that's full of causality tricks to the point where I've seen some elaborate rear end "simurgh did it" threads that I couldn't actually construct an argument against with the text because gently caress maybe simurgh did create mannequin for Reasons

This is the really dumb thing I think - it can be argued that the combination of the Simurgh and Contessa indirectly caused every single event that happened in the entire book whether intentionally or not. That makes it a lot less interesting though, and also trying to think through all the chains of causality is an exercise in frustration and pointlessness.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

What's the maybe? I'm sure there's a chapter shortly after Scion begins his murder spree where either Doctor Mother or Number Man says specifically that sooner or later, Scion would inevitably do his life cycle thing and wipe out all Earths. But by putting the Jack plan into play, it allowed them to have it take place earlier when they had more capes and the highest chance of success.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Anyway, 👏 Armsmaster 👏 did 👏 nothing 👏 wrong.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Milky Moor posted:

What's the maybe? I'm sure there's a chapter shortly after Scion begins his murder spree where either Doctor Mother or Number Man says specifically that sooner or later, Scion would inevitably do his life cycle thing and wipe out all Earths. But by putting the Jack plan into play, it allowed them to have it take place earlier when they had more capes and the highest chance of success.

Literally nobody in this story has all the information though because there's so many borderline omniscient people pushing pieces around and throwing off each other's plans

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

They did what Contessa's power said would lead to eventually defeating Zion. That makes it justified, but it does not necessarily make it right or moral.
Contessa's power was inaccurate, highly precise, and needed to be deliberately used. That is to say, it was inaccurate in that she couldn't model everything, but given the limited number of blind spots, she could do a pretty good facsimile of it, and she also needed to ask the right questions. Cauldron wasn't "Contessa's will in action", it was Doctor Mother's direction and Contessa executing on those on her behalf. She isn't a black hole of justification because she still had agency and fallibility.

This is the really dumb thing I think - it can be argued that the combination of the Simurgh and Contessa indirectly caused every single event that happened in the entire book whether intentionally or not. That makes it a lot less interesting though, and also trying to think through all the chains of causality is an exercise in frustration and pointlessness.
Some WoG implies the Simurgh doesn't necessarily succeed in all her plans either:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Parahumans/comments/7w3tt8/unpopular_opinions_of_characters_in_worm/dtxp42o/?context=2
https://www.reddit.com/r/Parahumans/comments/4arfdp/spoilers_all_what_if/d13mx7i/

To be fair, neither have to succeed 100% of the time for the dominoes they set up to appear intimidatingly impressive or complete.

EDIT: Grammar

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Feb 11, 2018

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

NecroMonster posted:

Reading between the lines a bit. No. No she has similar sized pile of issues as Victoria and going by the Dot interlude unlike Victoria she doesn't have the support network to help her manage it as she does.

That whole reconciliation bbq Carol organized she likely got the same treatment as Victoria by her mother. Surprise Victoria is also going to be here and now you can be sister again, probably including a heavy dose of lying about Victoria being okay with that. Which considering its Amy was probably enough for her to hide in the house, see Victoria show up and have her hear that she is literally nightmare inducing for Victoria.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I loving loved Worm, don't get me wrong, but it does some stuff that really baffles me. Wildbow was really smart to limit certain powers that would completely change society (mind reading, healing, teleportation, reproducible supertech)... and then he includes multiple nigh-infallible precogs. I think you could remove at least 50% of the precog stuff (maybe keep Simurgh, Coil and Dinah, lose the doomsday prophecy, Contessa and Jack Slash's bullshit Idiot Ball secondary power) and have the result be a much better story. If nothing else, it would at least make the characters feel like they have a lot more agency if there wasn't this huge 'well, it had to happen that way, because the author a precog said so' hanging over the whole story.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

sunken fleet posted:

He was mean to Vista that one time at the end of the wards' interlude. Bad guy imo

I started thinking about King's power and now I'm wondering what it looks like. Like if he gets shot, does the bullet just stop and someone else gets a gun wound? What if he gets exploded? Does some rando get thrown across a room? Would he be invincible for a day if he touched crawler? Does it work if the injury being transferred would go to a prosthetic? Does 'among' mean 'shared equally between'? So many questions.

What if he just held his breath for a real long time? That'd be hosed up. If he touched enough people would it even matter? How the gently caress did it make him immune to grey boy? That doesn't make any drat sense. Being in a time loop isn't really physical harm.

Gitro fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 11, 2018

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

He massively prolonged the Echidna fight and likely directly killed at least a few people in the process.
You gotta keep your promises man.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

It was established that whenever precog powers intersect they both pull up blanks instead of answers. That is actually a huge aspect as to why cauldron's approach might not even have the justification of "well this was the way that ended up with us winning": when procogs try to do their stuff with Scion it fails. So Contessa saying "How do I beat Scion" gives nothing, while "How do I build the strongest group of parahumans by this date" gives a path for what they did.

Precog powers tend to be imprecise or otherwise lovely to have. The PRT guys had weird abstract things for events, Dinah is just probabilities (not why it is more or less likely over multiple questions, just the raw numbers), Contessa has to question if she has any agency in anything she ever does.

The Simurgh is closer to bullshit than anyone with powers, but I think it is over credited on what things are possible (think of it like pool trick shots, some things just aren't possible, but with perfect knowledge and a precise hit you can do a lot). The stuff with Echidna is a good example. It seems a lot more likely that the Simurgh's actions are much more: pull these guys from other earth, pull these vials from cauldron, mind whammy them until noel is in the right state of mind to take half a vial. After that the plan doesn't need anything else, Trickster will keep her alive and eventually she'll lose control. Not some super spiral that ends with the events happening exactly as they did in the story, but launching that time bomb into the world. Especially since the only purpose for the end bringers is to give Eidolan a challenge where Echidna ends up doesn't matter, he'll still be able to go there to deal with it.

Trickster is kind of a piece of poo poo and threw all his friends to the wolves, though you could argue he got mind fuckled by the Simurgh. He did throw as many people into Echidna as he could, I can't remember if he straight killed anyone in that fight or not but it wouldn't surprise me.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Trickster was also a serial manipulator and emotional abuser towards noelle. He's a gigantic rear end in a top hat, a likeable rear end in a top hat, but an rear end in a top hat nonetheless.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

berenzen posted:

Trickster was also a serial manipulator and emotional abuser towards noelle. He's a gigantic rear end in a top hat, a likeable rear end in a top hat, but an rear end in a top hat nonetheless.

On the other hand Noelle is a literal murder machine and if he was honest with her horrible things would happen so like

poo poo sucks, all the way around

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

On the other hand Noelle is a literal murder machine and if he was honest with her horrible things would happen so like

poo poo sucks, all the way around

think they means before she was a murder machine

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Scion was only vulnerable because of his assumed humanity, something he couldn't undo or get away from thanks to Eden's downfall. Treating Scion as merely or fully an Entity is probably a bit short sighted. Of course, that's what nearly everyone did, with a very small handful of exceptions.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

ZypherIM posted:

The Simurgh is closer to bullshit than anyone with powers, but I think it is over credited on what things are possible (think of it like pool trick shots, some things just aren't possible, but with perfect knowledge and a precise hit you can do a lot). The stuff with Echidna is a good example. It seems a lot more likely that the Simurgh's actions are much more: pull these guys from other earth, pull these vials from cauldron, mind whammy them until noel is in the right state of mind to take half a vial. After that the plan doesn't need anything else, Trickster will keep her alive and eventually she'll lose control. Not some super spiral that ends with the events happening exactly as they did in the story, but launching that time bomb into the world. Especially since the only purpose for the end bringers is to give Eidolan a challenge where Echidna ends up doesn't matter, he'll still be able to go there to deal with it.

Simurgh also sets up the events that result in Cody killing accord, which is a bit bigger on the fine details. I think something like the pool metaphor is specifically used in the bit of writing from the simurgh's perspective though, something about understanding people and tuning events to evoke the right reaction/s at the right time.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

ZypherIM posted:

It was established that whenever precog powers intersect they both pull up blanks instead of answers. That is actually a huge aspect as to why cauldron's approach might not even have the justification of "well this was the way that ended up with us winning": when procogs try to do their stuff with Scion it fails. So Contessa saying "How do I beat Scion" gives nothing, while "How do I build the strongest group of parahumans by this date" gives a path for what they did.

I thought Contessa asked 'How do I beat [something exactly like Scion but not explicitly Scion]?' as a way of getting around the shard limitation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

I thought Contessa asked 'How do I beat [something exactly like Scion but not explicitly Scion]?' as a way of getting around the shard limitation.

"Worm Interlude 29 posted:

How do we stop them?

The fog blocked out her view of any answer.

Can we stop something as powerful as the beings in my fever dream? How can we stop the Warrior?

Still too close to home.

The indecision gripped her again. When she wasn’t acting in the scope of her power, it was all the more difficult to act.

Fortuna frowned. She couldn’t be paralyzed like this. “How- how would we stop any powerful monster?”

“Weapons? An army?” the woman suggested.

One hundred and forty-three thousand, two hundred and twenty steps.

It was doable.

They're on a path to build an army/weapons, not defeat a Scion-like being (it makes her blank out).

Note that they don't stumble on the idea of using Scion's psychological weakness OR using foil's shard, the two things that were the main things used to actually beat Scion. There are probably some other approaches that are viable, but their goal is to build the strongest army because that is what they can think of to do against a multi-dimensional demigod.

Dug around a bit more on Simurgh, can't really find the range of her direct influence. Her chapter had a passively watching everything, followed by a lot of priming people to have responses from certain situations, evoking memories/feelings/hallucinations, and stuff like that, combined with farther future sight when she focused on someone. It is hard to write something like that consistently because we're just human and you'll never perfectly write the scenario. Given that precogs form a limiter to her planning reach, it makes more sense to approach her pulled back a little (or just say that literally everything in the story after her first appearance was caused by her, which imo makes a lovely story).

For example maybe she sets up noelle hard (because all you need is the half vial and she'll blow eventually), and seeds cody and others. She observes and waits for opportune times to nudge them more (during one of her attacks, ie attacking the plan with the chinese leader's heir on it), or pops some direct influence when the timing is right(when she scrambles the data file on amy talking to the camera in the birdcage).