Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
wark...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

wark has anyone ever reacted to your riffs with anything but confusion

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
He works as a tour musician so I'm gonna say yes :twisted:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
anyway

I recently finished reading Shirley Jackson's Haunting Of Hill House, and I loved it. Jackson is a master of prose, having been inspirations to Neil Gaiman and Stephen King and it's fascinating to see one of the earliest modern Haunted House stories be an exploration of extreme loneliness despite being desperate to connect, something it seems Jackson has a lot of experience with the more I read about her. It's a very quick read, I highly recommend it.

what books have you guys been reading?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They usually bob their heads. After almost 25 years of playing guitar, I do believe I am competent enough to know when to play for a room. :)

DisDisDis posted:

He works as a tour musician so I'm gonna say yes :twisted:
See? You get me. :wink:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Expect My Mom posted:

anyway

I recently finished reading Shirley Jackson's Haunting Of Hill House, and I loved it. Jackson is a master of prose, having been inspirations to Neil Gaiman and Stephen King and it's fascinating to see one of the earliest modern Haunted House stories be an exploration of extreme loneliness despite being desperate to connect, something it seems Jackson has a lot of experience with the more I read about her. It's a very quick read, I highly recommend it.

what books have you guys been reading?
I've been reading two:
  • Tusitala de Obitos. It's a short stories compilation written by a friend. It can get pretty dark, but it also has a sense of humor (some recent Mexican writers can be very up-their-asses).
  • Kishidancho Goroshi. I always get super late into recent Murakami fare, so I'm trying to curb that.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
can we have bookchat in the chat thread?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I read this the other day

Going to get started on the 3rd Takeshi Kovacs book at some point, just upgraded my previous cheapass fire tablet with a newer cheapass fire tablet so I'm still loading books on it right now.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
In the third Takeshi Kovacs novel he finally loses his top and murders ever male muslim he sees

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Eela6 posted:

can we have bookchat in the chat thread?

I think E-Burrito said it best:

Everything Burrito posted:

all threads are the chat thread

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

tbh this seems like the most egregious chat derail the seasonal thread has seen, so i agree with eela

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I thought this was the chat thread lol

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

GorfZaplen posted:

I thought this was the chat thread lol

:same:

Didn't notice until I looked at the thread title just now.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

DisDisDis posted:

In the third Takeshi Kovacs novel he finally loses his top and murders ever male muslim he sees

he spares the women because richard morgan is a feminist

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i've never been in the anime chat thread and at this point I'm afraid to start

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Expect My Mom posted:

this is basically how I feel about any long-running Shonen.

There's nothing to be afraid of. Dehumanize yourself and face to bookchat

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Chat thread is quite chill. All we'd need is to watch Netflix and we'd be beyond mere chilling. :)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Expect My Mom posted:

Well start now because, it's Book Chat time. (And also I responded to your question there)

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
So I've only been watching Darling in the Franxx and March Comes in like a Lion this season. I'm on mid-term so anything else worth watching from the current crop?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

HidaO-Win posted:

So I've only been watching Darling in the Franxx and March Comes in like a Lion this season. I'm on mid-term so anything else worth watching from the current crop?

Depends on what you're looking for. A Place Further Than The Universe has been a great character drama. YuruCamp's been a great therapy show. Magus Bride's pretty interesting.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
A Place Further Than The Universe owns very much.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Depends on what you're looking for. A Place Further Than The Universe has been a great character dramedy. YuruCamp's been a great therapy show. Magus Bride's pretty interesting.

FTFY. It’s got its serious bits, and they’re very well-executed, but it’s also funny as hell.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

HidaO-Win posted:

Kokkoku

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

HidaO-Win posted:

im watching the same stuff as you, the only other thing im watching is Pop Team Epic so maybe that if you're also a weirdo

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hinata is best girl. Shirase is a gimmick away from being straight up a Jitsu wa Watashi Wa character. They're also probably the best characters Yuka Iguchi and Kana Hanazawa have voiced, respectively.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Wark Say posted:

They're also probably the best characters Yuka Iguchi and Kana Hanazawa have voiced, respectively.

Have you been watching March comes in like a Lion? Kana Hanazawa's work as Shirase is fantastic, but her voicing of Hina in March Lion has been jaw-dropping over the last six episodes or so.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Watch How to Keep a Mummy if you want your heart to grow three sizes

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Wark Say posted:

Hinata is best girl. Shirase is a gimmick away from being straight up a Jitsu wa Watashi Wa character. They're also probably the best characters Yuka Iguchi and Kana Hanazawa have voiced, respectively.

or

Take your pick. Also, is "Jitsu wa Watashi Wa" worth watching? And does it have more hot mess characters like Shirase?

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

tsob posted:

Take your pick. Also, is "Jitsu wa Watashi Wa" worth watching? And does it have more hot mess characters like Shirase?

I've heard a lot of good things about the manga around here, but the anime was very hit or miss for me, with some really fun and charming characters heavily weighed down by some intolerably obnoxious ones.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The anime is bad, the manga is my favorite manga romcom ever.

e: I cannot decribe how much I love the Jitsu Wa manga. It made me laugh, it made me cry, it made me laugh so hard I cried.

Terper fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 12, 2018

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The manga gets pretty great (starts a little less great) the anime version missed all the charm and humor.

And the whole cast is hilariously cute and dumb, which works somehow.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

HidaO-Win posted:

Yuru Camp

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Mentat Radnor posted:

Have you been watching March comes in like a Lion? Kana Hanazawa's work as Shirase is fantastic, but her voicing of Hina in March Lion has been jaw-dropping over the last six episodes or so.
Just to piggyback and talk about more March Lion voicing

Misaki Kuno's work as Momo is maybe one of my favorite voices ever. Momo herself is kindergarten and if you told her voice actor was a really talented ten year old, I'd believe you. She makes Momo sound like an actual child who hasn't quite mastered speaking, but with warmth and depth that just destroy me. Momo is probably my favorite kid character in anything ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xaop80reUGw (this scene can still make me cry and ive seen it like five times)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wZYyOzObRU

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 12, 2018

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mentat Radnor posted:

Yes. I like March Lion, but god I loving despise how it makes me feel sometimes. Like watching the most depressing parts of Bojack Horseman, but somehow it's better done and that amplifies the misery by quite a bit. Even with that, I prefer how Hanazawa's Shirase bounces off the other three girls. Especially Iguchi as Hinata. Goddamn.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Shirase and Kimari’s wedding will be a beautiful, terrible spectacle like no other.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Shirase and Kimari’s wedding will be a beautiful, terrible spectacle like no other.

I'm not sure Shirase would make it to the wedding without either having a heart attack or tripping over an array of decorations and down a flight of stairs

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
She'll be told to write her own vows, and enter in to an eternal freeze state. The only way they'll be able to get her to the wedding is by lining the path with people boo'ing her, and her vows will end up as just a litany of curses screamed at the top of her lungs.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Shirase will also refuse to invite anyone other than some penguins to the wedding. She'll be too consumed with spite for all those fools who ever doubted her.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

HidaO-Win posted:

Pop Team Epic remains a damned masterpiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Takunomi took an unexpected turn

• Locked thread