Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

garfield hentai posted:

Just got my paint in from thewarstore - about a week from the day I placed the order. Could have been better, could have been worse. One of the paints was backordered since I didn't notice the different "Usually ships next day" and "Usually ships between 1-3 days" text.

http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/model-air-user%E2%80%99s-guide/blog/1/39

I just looked at this (it's for model air so I figure Mecha color is similar) to remember what the recommended ratio of thinner:paint was since it seems like people who don't thin this stuff tend to have issues with it, and I'm noticing that they have you mix the gloss varnish into the actual paint. Is this sufficient for a gloss coat for subsequent panel lining, or should I trust my gut and use the gloss varnish separately afterwards? Or is the Mecha air gloss varnish just useless for topcoating/subsequent panel lining?

EDIT

Also, the marketing copy of the Mecha line says primer isn't necessary:

"Mecha Colors has exceptional performance on all materials. The adhesion of the colors on resin, plastic, steel and white metal is extraordinary. Moreover the surfaces do not require previous priming. Only in the case of a very dark base may it be useful to first apply a primer in order to increase the brightness of the final colors."

I got some grey primer already before reading that, but how likely is that to be true and how likely is it that it's marketing bullshit?

There's no way that paint without primer on slick plastic isn't going to look like poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Does your place have a backyard or alley or parking lot? You pretty much always want to prime when painting, but spraycans are best for that so you dont need to lug your airbrush setup outside.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Water based polyurethane primers like Vallejo and Badger Stynylrez are fine for priming indoors

(also I suspect that vallejo mecha color is essentially colored primer to some degree since they advertise it as having durability)

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Yeah I'm not too worried about the primer, it's the Vallejo Mecha stuff so it's water based acrylic. I don't have any issues with using it, I was just asking because the marketing copy makes it seem like it's completely unnecessary unless you're trying to go from dark to bright colors.

I've seen a few other recommendations for that floor polish for gloss coating. Would that be okay to use in an airbrush? I'm assuming smell/fumes wouldn't be an issue since it's designed for smearing all over your floors inside.

garfield hentai fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 12, 2018

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
You can technically paint without primer, but it takes a bunch more coats + if you try to paint two different color unprimed parts into one color they will basically never match up.

Pledge Future isn't actually a floor wax, but an acrylic hardener that is really durable, you can put pretty much anything on top of it. So it's very nice for sealing before panel lining and weathering.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
I'm still going to do it anyways, I'm planning on preshading and I'm assuming the contrast between grey primer + black shading will stand out a lot better behind the top paint. More than anything I was curious if "this paint adheres so well you don't even need primer!" was a cool new game changing feature or if it was just a marketing spin on "it won't be great but technically it'll work I guess".

Ordering the pledge (lol all the related purchases are scale model related) and some of the Tamiya enamel wash off Amazon. Can I still at least use the Mecha color matte varnish on its own as a top coat or are the matt/gloss varnishes pretty much useless?

garfield hentai fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 12, 2018

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
That's exactly what I do if I want a matte coat.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Nice so it's not a total loss. I guess I'll mix in the gloss varnish with the steel paint for the inner frame (I like detailing the pistons and all that but I don't think I'll be panel lining it so I won't need a protective layer) and then use the matte on its own as a topcoat for the armor then.

garfield hentai fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 12, 2018

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

You can use acrylic varnishes on bare plastic, but the result will never look as good as a painted and varnished surface. It's also a bit more fragile, though how much this matters correlates directly with how much you enjoy swooshing your gundams around and making beam saber noises with your mouth. So, quite a bit in most cases.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
By "on its own" I meant doing a top layer of just the matte varnish as opposed to mixing it in with paint. So for inner frame I'd go primer > paint mixed with gloss varnish, while for the outer armor I'd go primer > preshade > main color > floor polish > panel lining wash stuff > matte varnish. I feel like having the frame glossy and the armor matte might make the frame pop a little more.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I can't speak for the mecha line but k ow that model air is really easy to work with, but it's side effect is that it will scratch incredibly easy without a decent top coat. Once that topcoat is on though it's golden.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
The whole gimmick of the Mecha line is that it ostensibly won't scratch. I'll report in once I get this going, if I can get it to turn out nice and sturdy anyone can.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I've used both and I can confirm that the mech air line does seem more scratch resistance. It's not perfect, but it's a definite improvement.

Also everyone, use pledge, I'll have to replace my current bottle soon but the drat thing's lasted over 5 years. It's a fantastic product.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Do you thin the Pledge or just spray it through as is? Would the Vallejo airbrush thinner work since it's acrylic?

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Airbrush it straight.

e: Make sure to clean well afterward because you don't want it to dry in your brush.

That Gobbo fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 13, 2018

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
What PSI are people spraying it at? 25-ish like other paint?

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 371 days!

mikeycp posted:

I'm consistently reading 30psi on everything I'm looking up but I've never used a airbrush and won't know until mine gets delivered tomorrow so :shrug:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Swanny got his domain back, here's the ultimate Future reference page.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

mikeycp posted:

15-20 Psi has worked for me for model air. Gives a good cover and control of rate of paint.

Tamiya primer I'll bump up to about 25-30.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

tenderjerk posted:

I'm consistently reading 30psi on everything I'm looking up but I've never used a airbrush and won't know until mine gets delivered tomorrow so :shrug:

I haven't had a chance to try myself yet but I think a lot of it depends on the paint. For example with the Vallejo stuff I got, I read a lot of people complain that it's garbage that doesn't work, but then after they dialed it down from 30 to 15-20ish it worked a lot better (apparently the air pressure was so high that paint would dry out before it even hit the plastic or something? I forget the exact explanation). Then people with the same company's primer reported having to do higher PSIs to get it not to clump.

Personally I'm gonna start on 20 psi on some old junk runners and see how things look.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
That's exactly right. Too high a pressure and you can have the paint dry before it hits the part.

This also happens by spraying too far from the piece.

It's basically just messing around with setting to find out what works.

A good start would be to get a sheet of gloss cardboard or paper and experiment with different distances and to practice trigger control on your airbrush.

That way you'll find the limits of distance and trigger pull to not apply too much or too little paint.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Plastic spoons are another popular test item.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
What's the best way to paint tiny recesses and edges? I'm assuming a brush but wouldn't it be a huge pain to clean up mistakes? Would it be simpler (generally) to mask and spray? Example, yellow bits here:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Marx Headroom posted:

What's the best way to paint tiny recesses and edges? I'm assuming a brush but wouldn't it be a huge pain to clean up mistakes? Would it be simpler (generally) to mask and spray? Example, yellow bits here:

That small you might consider using a marker.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Getting a sheet of styrene is good too. It's probably better than paper or cardboard to use as a practice surface.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Marx Headroom posted:

For something that small, i'd paint it before It went in or disassemble and paint.

Symetrique posted:

Getting a sheet of styrene is good too. It's probably better than paper or cardboard to use as a practice surface.

You know, When I wrote that last piece, I had a styrene sheet right in front of me and didn't think to even say that.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Bought a new kit for my girlfriend. She wanted.... this:

I never in a million years would have thought I'd ever buy something like this.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Monaghan posted:

Bought a new kit for my girlfriend. She wanted.... this:

I never in a million years would have thought I'd ever buy something like this.

You have good taste in girlfriends. :D

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Has she seen the anime? Baselard was pretty great in the show.

the F.A.Girl youtube channel put out a video about customizing a Baselard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlBeAYGv9KA

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm versed enough in Engrish that I can easily guess how they meant that to be pronounced but I just wanna say "base lard".

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

No she isn't really into anime. She just like the Frame arm girls stuff because she thinks they're cute. She also likes how their more complicated than an hg kit.

I'll be finishing her "girly" mg dom this weekend. I'll post pictures of it. I've nicknamed her kits the "pretty-pretty princess" line of gundam models.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
it's really cool when a bunch of nerds who build plastic kits of robots wanna try to talk poo poo about girls' preference in model kits and act like they're above it

:toot:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Caitlin posted:

it's really cool when a bunch of nerds who build plastic kits of robots wanna try to talk poo poo about girls' preference in model kits and act like they're above it

:toot:

It's also cool when people read poo poo that isn't there.

Frame arms girls is a line in which there's water slide decals that allow the kits to have striped panties. I find them kinda creepy. My girlfriend likes them, so whatever.

Also the pretty pretty princess line is just a mutual joke that we had. She calls me goofy for weathering and poo poo.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 15, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Monaghan posted:

It's also cool when people read poo poo that isn't there.

Frame arms girls is a line in which there's water slide decals that allow the kits to have striped panties. I find them kinda creepy. My girlfriend likes them, so whatever.

Canonically, they're wearing bodysuits.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
On a less hostile note, it's nice that all the Frame Arms and Frame Arms Girls equipment is interchangeable.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Do any of the Frames Arm Girls wear pants? A heavy armored unit with like cargo pants full of missiles would be pretty dope.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Guy Goodbody posted:

Canonically, they're wearing bodysuits.

Canonically, it's creepy pandering to gross nerds

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Welcome to anime.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

Canonically, you're the only one having a weird screeching meltdown fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Canonically, you're the only one having a weird screeching meltdown fit.

Sorry I insulted your dolls for perverts.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to get back assembling my robot dolls.